COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby SuperFrank » Tue May 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Clubs will be given the opportunity to sit out the year if they wish to and I'd say the majority will take up that offer.

If clubs choose to do this they will be signing their own death warrant.

For a lot of clubs, choosing to play will be signing their own death warrant. Specially for regional areas
SuperFrank
Rookie

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue May 12, 2020 3:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Clubs will be given the opportunity to sit out the year if they wish to and I'd say the majority will take up that offer.

You're a big club with lots of juniors like my club.

Where's everyone going to train?
Something as simple as disinfecting change rooms on game day....5 times two rooms (Assuming you'll be able to use them)
will be pretty onerous. Then again after Sunday games.

Players on contracts will still need paying.
Where's the money coming from with no gate or bar?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 3:25 pm

tigerpie wrote:Where's the money coming from with no gate or bar?

Feel like this is a constant round about.. going absolutely no where.. FAAAARRRKK!!!

I swear half you na-sayers don't actually READ A DAMN THING! Show me where it says ANYWHERE that competitions will commence without a gate (for country comps) or bar facilities...

Defeatists
Glass half empty operators
Pessimists
Last edited by The Bedge on Tue May 12, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 3:27 pm

tigerpie wrote:Where's everyone going to train? On the oval, split into thirds, 10 + coach in each third. Spread the nights (assume this already occurs).
Something as simple as disinfecting change rooms on game day....5 times two rooms (Assuming you'll be able to use them)
will be pretty onerous. Then again after Sunday games.

Players on contracts will still need paying. Assuming payments are still allowed, otherwise i'd imagine contracts will become void.
Where's the money coming from with no gate or bar? show me where is says no gate and then show me where it says no bar
The Bedge
Coach

Postby scottroo » Tue May 12, 2020 3:28 pm

And sorry to break it to you but contracted players should be prepared to play for nothing or at best a small percentage...
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of any clubs who have indicated they wont play this year if it goes ahead?

I'd be interesting to know how PNU, TTG and GG are feeling - they're three pretty big clubs, they'd feel the strain as much if not more than anyone.
Last edited by The Bedge on Tue May 12, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Tue May 12, 2020 3:32 pm

The Bedge wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Where's the money coming from with no gate or bar?

Feel like this is a constant round about.. going absolutely no where.. FAAAARRRKK!!!

I swear half you na-sayers don't actually READ A DAMN THING! Show me where it says ANYWHERE that competitions will commence without a gate for country comps or bar facilities...

Defeatists
Glass half empty operators
Pessimists

You don't have much to do with the admin side of running a club do you? Do gate takings all go to the club? Or does it go to the league? I'm talking country footy. Say for instance they allow 100 people into the ground. That's basically less than the 10 teams playing at the ground so that leaves bugger all spots for supporters, let along family. Clubs pay for all footballs, umpires etc. It's not just a matter of selling a few snags and tinnies at the ground unfortunately.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 12, 2020 3:43 pm

scottroo wrote:And sorry to break it to you but contracted players should be prepared to play for nothing or at best a small percentage...

And they will probably not play or make themselves available to work on Saturdays.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 3:45 pm

I have a bit of experience in administrating clubs.. so I have a bit of an idea.

Granted I don't know a lot about country footy, but I know enough to know there are multiple games as well as netball operating on a day - and I know people in better positions than me would be well aware of what requirements are needed for country leagues/clubs to go ahead, survive and what they rely on.

I think too many are looking at the now.. stop staring at your feet and look into the distance.. look to 7-8 weeks down the track, what does the situation look like.

Restrictions will continue to ease off over the next couple of months. If we continue to perform well on the CV side of things, we wont have the same level of restrictions in two weeks time, and two weeks after that.. by the time July rolls around it's hard not to see life as basically normal.

Measures in place today aren't the hard and fast rule forever.

Although, not sure why i'm entertaining chat about country footy when this thread relates to the AdFL. ;)
The Bedge
Coach

Postby SuperFrank » Tue May 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
scottroo wrote:And sorry to break it to you but contracted players should be prepared to play for nothing or at best a small percentage...

And they will probably not play or make themselves available to work on Saturdays.

Sorry to be the country footy flog but once again.... A league like the mallee would just about sink if they couldn't bring out players, they survive off recruiting just to fill an A grade side.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby SuperFrank » Tue May 12, 2020 3:51 pm

The Bedge wrote:I have a bit of experience in administrating clubs.. so I have a bit of an idea.

Granted I don't know a lot about country footy, but I know enough to know there are multiple games as well as netball operating on a day - and I know people in better positions than me would be well aware of what requirements are needed for country leagues/clubs to go ahead, survive and what they rely on.

I think too many are looking at the now.. stop staring at your feet and look into the distance.. look to 7-8 weeks down the track, what does the situation look like.

Restrictions will continue to ease off over the next couple of months. If we continue to perform well on the CV side of things, we wont have the same level of restrictions in two weeks time, and two weeks after that.. by the time July rolls around it's hard not to see life as basically normal.

Although, not sure why i'm entertaining chat about country footy when this thread relates to the AdFL. ;)

Fair call!!

I spose country comes into it as SA Community Football won't make different rules for different leagues. 1 set of rules to suit all amatuer/community football I guess
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby piccachu » Tue May 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Assuming payments are still allowed, otherwise i'd imagine contracts will become void

if contracts are going to be void, then the league cant possibly put a freeze on clearances (like they have mentioned as a large possibility)
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 3:54 pm

piccachu wrote:if contracts are going to be void, then the league cant possibly put a freeze on clearances (like they have mentioned as a large possibility)

I believe clearance windows will reopen - there are still a number of people stuck in limbo at the moment, they'll need to complete their clearances to go through... but I also believe the window will be very small like maybe two weeks.

Time will tell I guess.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Tue May 12, 2020 3:54 pm

The Bedge wrote:I have a bit of experience in administrating clubs.. so I have a bit of an idea.

By the time July rolls around, the season is normally 3/4 of the way finished. Wouldn't you just write the year offand focus on a bigger and better year next year? Is it worth the financial strain for a half baked competition of 8 rounds that personally, most people couldn't give a shit about?
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 12, 2020 3:58 pm

SuperFrank wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Sorry to be the country footy flog but once again.... A league like the mallee would just about sink if they couldn't bring out players, they survive off recruiting just to fill an A grade side.

I could imagine, towns are getting smaller and whether we like it or not community footy is an industry to some degree.

A lot of these young fellas have been getting good coin for a couple of hours work on a Saturday arvo, their GF's/wives wont let them out for nothing
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 3:59 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:A lot of these young fellas have been getting good coin for a couple of hours work on a Saturday arvo, their GF's/wives wont let them out for nothing

Sounds like a wonderful relationship. :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 3:59 pm

Bum Crack wrote:By the time July rolls around, the season is normally 3/4 of the way finished. Wouldn't you just write the year offand focus on a bigger and better year next year? Is it worth the financial strain for a half baked competition of 8 rounds that personally, most people couldn't give a shit about?

By the time July rolls around, if your club and players want to play, would you support that?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Tue May 12, 2020 4:06 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:By the time July rolls around, the season is normally 3/4 of the way finished. Wouldn't you just write the year offand focus on a bigger and better year next year? Is it worth the financial strain for a half baked competition of 8 rounds that personally, most people couldn't give a shit about?

By the time July rolls around, if your club and players want to play, would you support that?

I don't think they will play so it doesn't matter. I won't make any further comments as country footy is a lot different so no point making a comparison between the two.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby football tragic » Tue May 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Why is everyone stating a July start date
If season goes ahead and get voted in by clubs Mid June start IMO
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 12, 2020 5:01 pm

SuperFrank wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

For a lot of clubs, choosing to play will be signing their own death warrant. Specially for regional areas

I understand the complexity in regional areas, but if your club/league does not proceed with the season and a player wants to play footy they are going to leave your club and go elsewhere. Whats the chances of getting them back in 2021?

With a small extension into October there are still 5 months left in the season, with a very real possibility of further restrictions being relaxed in the next fortnight which will allow crowds, BBQ's, canteens and Bars to be open (under new protocols). With no AFL to attend it could be a boom for grassroots footy.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League