COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby football tragic » Thu May 14, 2020 11:13 am

zedman wrote:
football tragic wrote:I might be speaking for a minority here but im astounded at the negativity around trying to get football underway.
Whilst I understand people are concerned about loss of income crowds etc I think we all know the SANFL and the government would have plans to support this. I would have thought people would be hanging to get out have a kick and get back into it....what`s the alternative ?? sit home and mow the lawn 4 times a week? Maybe its a sign of the times but football used to be a major part of people lives who would jump any obstacle to get out on the field.

Maybe some players are realising they may not get paid to play.

Imagine having to only play for the jumper, the club and the love of the game..insane right?

I think you hit the nail on the head.... well I say that might be the best thing for the comp, get back to club players playing for the guernsey.
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Pag » Thu May 14, 2020 11:19 am

football tragic wrote:I might be speaking for a minority here but im astounded at the negativity around trying to get football underway.
Whilst I understand people are concerned about loss of income crowds etc I think we all know the SANFL and the government would have plans to support this. I would have thought people would be hanging to get out have a kick and get back into it....what`s the alternative ?? sit home and mow the lawn 4 times a week? Maybe its a sign of the times but football used to be a major part of people lives who would jump any obstacle to get out on the field.

I'm not against it starting, I love my footy, and not trying to be overly negative.

However, if this has taught me anything it's that maybe I spent too much time/energy/money on footy previously, probably to the detriment of other things and relationships in my life outside of footy. I have enjoyed being at home to have dinner with my daughter (and wife I suppose) each night and hearing about the day at child care, as opposed to doing a 5.15pm child-care pick-up, drop home, grab bag and run to footy training in 10-12 degrees. I haven't been on the phone on a Sunday morning dissecting a loss with coaching staff, instead I've been out pushing my daughter on her swing or playing in her sandpit, things I probably wasn't doing enough beforehand.

Everyone is looking at it through a different lens though.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 14, 2020 11:40 am

Pag wrote: I have enjoyed being at home to have dinner with my daughter (and wife I suppose).

:lol:

Pag wrote:I've been out pushing my daughter on her swing

I used to enjoy this with my young fella, except he wants to be pushed for hours on end (it seems).. novelty wears off quickly :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Pag » Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 am

The Bedge wrote:
Pag wrote: I have enjoyed being at home to have dinner with my daughter (and wife I suppose).

:lol:

Pag wrote:I've been out pushing my daughter on her swing

I used to enjoy this with my young fella, except he wants to be pushed for hours on end (it seems).. novelty wears off quickly :lol:

Yeah I'm almost there now :lol:
Pag
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 am

I think it's more of a case that we're doing alright as a state at the moment, one outbreak in the footy community and the show is over.

For example, a B Grader plays his game, he's ran around with 40 odd other blokes and he feels fine, he then helps out and runs water for the A Grade, he then discovers that his mum is a bit sick a day or two later and has coronavirus, he had no symptoms but he feels a need to get tested and it comes back positive, he has then in turn unknowingly potentially passed it on to 80+ players, and the umpires, and the medico's, and anyone he talked to that day, them 100+ people go home and go to work coming into contact with thousands more.

That is why the Government is being so cautious and why the average Joe is a bit apprehensive at this point of time, there is no higher contact team sport in the world, I don't think it's a case of negativity, it's more of we're fighting against something we cannot see and know f*** all about.

If footy starts and then stops, we could potentially be missing 2021 too if a vaccine isn't discovered.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 14, 2020 11:44 am

Pag wrote:

I'm not against it starting, I love my footy, and not trying to be overly negative.

However, if this has taught me anything it's that maybe I spent too much time/energy/money on footy previously, probably to the detriment of other things and relationships in my life outside of footy. I have enjoyed being at home to have dinner with my daughter (and wife I suppose) each night and hearing about the day at child care, as opposed to doing a 5.15pm child-care pick-up, drop home, grab bag and run to footy training in 10-12 degrees. I haven't been on the phone on a Sunday morning dissecting a loss with coaching staff, instead I've been out pushing my daughter on her swing or playing in her sandpit, things I probably wasn't doing enough beforehand.

Everyone is looking at it through a different lens though.

While she's asleep inside?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 14, 2020 11:45 am

Pag wrote:
Dutchy wrote:No rule against having lights left on at an oval

Wouldn't it only be club officials who have the ability to operate lights? Can't imagine Average Joe walking in off the street would have the access and/or the ability to turn the lights on whenever he feels like it.

More so the community club puts them on to make the oval safer for the community using it and its surrounds, not just footballers.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Thu May 14, 2020 11:48 am

Hear your comments PAG.

Has been strange being home on Saturday's.

Have planted two lawns cleaned out the attic and found out what all the women get up to in my house during footy season (a little Scary)

Have also made a good start on the clubs centenary book for 2028 by sorting thru 10 boxes of memorabilia and culling all the multiple copies of magazines and scanning heaps of photos as well as writing a round in review for the past players face book page each saturday from previous match day magazines that I have been able to collect for the past 40 + years. (Wife happy 10 boxes down to 5)

After much research the club has also launched an online goal kicking competition for the members to name the top ten goalkickers for the past 40 years 1980 -2019
We have 95 - 99% of the records over that period so it has created some interest amongst both old & new members.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 14, 2020 11:49 am

Couldn't agree more, imagine getting to early August and all restrictions are lifted and there is no footy to be played or attend. The impact on the communities cannot be under estimated.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby football tragic » Thu May 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I think it's more of a case that we're doing alright as a state at the moment, one outbreak in the footy community and the show is over.

For example, a B Grader plays his game, he's ran around with 40 odd other blokes and he feels fine, he then helps out and runs water for the A Grade, he then discovers that his mum is a bit sick a day or two later and has coronavirus, he had no symptoms but he feels a need to get tested and it comes back positive, he has then in turn unknowingly potentially passed it on to 80+ players, and the umpires, and the medico's, and anyone he talked to that day, them 100+ people go home and go to work coming into contact with thousands more.

That is why the Government is being so cautious and why the average Joe is a bit apprehensive at this point of time, there is no higher contact team sport in the world, I don't think it's a case of negativity, it's more of we're fighting against something we cannot see and know f*** all about.

If footy starts and then stops, we could potentially be missing 2021 too if a vaccine isn't discovered.

As stated several times from the Gov they are expecting small outbreaks to happen and it will be how they manage them.
If your talking about close contact get on the 5;15 train from Adelaide to gawler and rub shoulders with total strangers for the 60 minute drive home.
We don't have high level of community transmission and the risk is low for a mass outbreak here.
More lives will be lost through the impact this has had on the economy than the virus
Wait until they release the numbers of suicide from March until end of June from Mental health issues associated to corona restrictions and loss of income from closed business and loss of jobs.
Yes the virus can be deadly and needs management but we also need to move forward.
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 14, 2020 12:13 pm

football tragic wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

As stated several times from the Gov they are expecting small outbreaks to happen and it will be how they manage them.
If your talking about close contact get on the 5;15 train from Adelaide to gawler and rub shoulders with total strangers for the 60 minute drive home.
We don't have high level of community transmission and the risk is low for a mass outbreak here.
More lives will be lost through the impact this has had on the economy than the virus
Wait until they release the numbers of suicide from March until end of June from Mental health issues associated to corona restrictions and loss of income from closed business and loss of jobs.
Yes the virus can be deadly and needs management but we also need to move forward.

Even the trains apparently have social distancing but I totally get where you're coming from with that, I won't let my kids commute by train and the fun police now drives into the city for work aswell.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see footy back and the powers that be will bring it back when they are confident that we're in a satisfactory position to do so, my kids feel like they just merely exist without sports or being able to go out anywhere.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 14, 2020 12:35 pm

Pretty good and informative update by the league today.. as well as the SANFL release yesterday, should help answer a number of questions.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 14, 2020 12:54 pm

The Bedge wrote:Pretty good and informative update by the league today.. as well as the SANFL release yesterday, should help answer a number of questions.

The feedback and updates from the AdFL have been first class right from day one IMO, full credit to them.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Thu May 14, 2020 1:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Couldn't agree more, imagine getting to early August and all restrictions are lifted and there is no footy to be played or attend. The impact on the communities cannot be under estimated.

The problem is the SANFL and government dont have plans to support clubs going through current landscape .(just the restrictions from SA HEALTH and SANFL return to play COVID-19 restrictions which MUST be strictly adhered to) We all want football to continue but the landscape is something we all have never seen including scientists , doctors etc . Clubs at grass roots level are run by volunteers who have the whole club from seniors too mini grades to consider .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby jo172 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:02 pm

The results of the salary cap survey are fascinating:

Seems a huge majority of clubs think $0 is the way to go in 2020
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (18.38 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby jo172 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:09 pm

For my view it should be zero but permitting playing coaches being paid. As a corollary though the clubs should have more freedom with respect to incentives as opposed to match payments.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 14, 2020 2:10 pm

I found it interesting there was a D6 club keen to maintain the $3k limit. :shock:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby zedman » Thu May 14, 2020 2:14 pm

The Bedge wrote:I found it interesting there was a D6 club keen to maintain the $3k limit. :shock:

ditto..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Pag » Thu May 14, 2020 2:18 pm

jo172 wrote:For my view it should be zero but permitting playing coaches being paid. As a corollary though the clubs should have more freedom with respect to incentives as opposed to match payments.

Every club to have a marquee playing-assistant. ;)
Pag
Coach

Postby Trader » Thu May 14, 2020 2:31 pm

I'd vote for $3k.

Just cause the cap is $3,000 doesn't mean you have to pay $3000.
If your club can't afford it, pay less.

Once again, lowering the cap is another example of the responsible ones suffering to protect the irresponsible.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League