COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby The Bedge » Thu May 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Trader wrote:I'd vote for $3k.

Just cause the cap is $3,000 doesn't mean you have to pay $3000.
If your club can't afford it, pay less.

Once again, lowering the cap is another example of the responsible ones suffering to protect the irresponsible.

Great points.

I wonder if some clubs made their choice on their competitors rather than their own financial position.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 14, 2020 2:45 pm

shoe boy wrote:
The problem is the SANFL and government dont have plans to support clubs going through current landscape .(just the restrictions from SA HEALTH and SANFL return to play COVID-19 restrictions which MUST be strictly adhered to) We all want football to continue but the landscape is something we all have never seen including scientists , doctors etc . Clubs at grass roots level are run by volunteers who have the whole club from seniors too mini grades to consider .

SANFL seem to be very supportive from what I have seen.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby jo172 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 pm

Once again, lowering the cap is another example of the responsible ones suffering to protect the irresponsible.

Except that logic is equally applicable to no salary cap whatsoever (which I personally agree with).

If we're going to accept the restraint of a salary cap as a logical conceit, the restraint should be appropriately proportional to the aims of that restraint.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Trader » Thu May 14, 2020 4:06 pm

jo172 wrote:

Except that logic is equally applicable to no salary cap whatsoever (which I personally agree with).

If we're going to accept the restraint of a salary cap as a logical conceit, the restraint should be appropriately proportional to the aims of that restraint.

Agreed, free the market!!! haha

My other thinking for leaving it at $3k is that the lost revenue across the bar is equal to the number of games lost, so therefore your payments per game could remain at $3k per game, and you've still had a reduction of $54k to $27k over the season (assuming 9 rounds instead of 18 for example).

We could discuss it for a while, but ultimately it seems likely there will be a reduction so I guess any discussion about why it shouldn't move isn't achieving anything!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 18, 2020 5:45 pm

4th July confirmed start date
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby scottroo » Mon May 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Good update from headquarters and great to see the league on the front foot! Footys back!
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby jo172 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:59 pm

Given the chatter abounding in the country thread are there any clubs seriously contemplating not playing?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon May 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Is this assuming footy won't start again until crowds are allowed, in which case everything would be back to normal?

If that's is the case, and crowds are allowed back as per normal, why couldn't clubs afford the $3.5K?

In my view, unless everything goes back to normal, we don't play in 2020.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Trader » Mon May 18, 2020 6:30 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:

Is this assuming footy won't start again until crowds are allowed, in which case everything would be back to normal?

If that's is the case, and crowds are allowed back as per normal, why couldn't clubs afford the $3.5K?

In my view, unless everything goes back to normal, we don't play in 2020.

Nah I was for either case. Once again, just cause the cap is higher than you can afford (ie: without crowds) doesn't mean you have to spend the cap.
But the point doesn't really apply as the league has said before they won't start until the crowds are allowed in.

I haven't seen today's update, anyone able to post it here?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Dirty dog » Mon May 18, 2020 7:30 pm

I heard him on 5aa sports show and he said that the being able to have full crowds again is in “the lap of the gods”
To me that still sounds like if the restrictions are not lifted by 4th July and full crowds can’t attend then It’s unlikely to start then.
He didn’t say we will start regardless of crowds being able to attend.
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby scottroo » Mon May 18, 2020 8:22 pm

He’s a smart man. Not promising anything but I reckon he’d be supremely confident
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby football tragic » Tue May 19, 2020 9:26 am

Does anyone think that if July 8th is the start date then training should commence from the 4th of June
Expecting players to train now with another 7 weeks until first game is too long
And considering you cant change groups there will be an issue if 5-6 players don't show in a group and your left with 4 ??
4 weeks would be ample imo to get them ready and besides they can do some runs at home in next few weeks.
thoughts?
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby jo172 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:27 am

football tragic wrote:Does anyone think that if July 8th is the start date then training should commence from the 4th of June
Expecting players to train now with another 7 weeks until first game is too long
And considering you cant change groups there will be an issue if 5-6 players don't show in a group and your left with 4 ??
4 weeks would be ample imo to get them ready and besides they can do some runs at home in next few weeks.
thoughts?

No.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby piccachu » Tue May 19, 2020 9:46 am

Football clubs are struggling enough as it is financially and with dwindling playing numbers. i really dont see the sense in playing the 9 game seasons.
small clubs feel backed in to corner being damned if they do and damned if they dont take part. there is a large likely hood clubs will run at a loss this year and for many clubs that inst something they can afford, and if they choose to pull out themselves you run the risk of not getting players back the following year and the club possibly folding that way, not to mention the burden all the extra duties that are now have to be in place will put on volunteers that are already over worked and near on impossible to find.
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 19, 2020 9:51 am

piccachu wrote:Football clubs are struggling enough as it is financially and with dwindling playing numbers. i really dont see the sense in playing the 9 game seasons.
small clubs feel backed in to corner being damned if they do and damned if they dont take part. there is a large likely hood clubs will run at a loss this year and for many clubs that inst something they can afford, and if they choose to pull out themselves you run the risk of not getting players back the following year and the club possibly folding that way, not to mention the burden all the extra duties that are now have to be in place will put on volunteers that are already over worked and near on impossible to find.

Can you explain why/how?
Any examples of small clubs feeling bullied into it?
Anything even remotely substantial to back your claims?

No one is forcing you (or clubs) to play.. if you don't want to - don't. Simple.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 19, 2020 10:00 am

Dutchy wrote:4th July confirmed start date

It is not confirmed, it is the date they're aiming for if all goes well with SAPOL and the SA Government.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 19, 2020 10:07 am

football tragic wrote:Does anyone think that if July 8th is the start date then training should commence from the 4th of June
thoughts?

Everyone should just follow protocol because if there is just one case through the football circles then we're back to square one, we'll even be behind square one as there will be a big thick red line drawn through the season full stop.

We're in a great spot at the moment to get half a season in, I think we'll all be a bit more grateful towards the game, something that we've grown up taking for granted, I know in my own life there aren't 4 seasons in the year, there's always only been two.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 19, 2020 10:11 am

Dear All

We had hoped to give you what was 80% of the framework around the season including anticipated fees.

The purpose of this release is to offer a guide to allow some forward planning by our Member Clubs in the hope of returning to the field.

However, in forging a pathway forward, The League like others is aware of a need to consider external influences that prohibit us from being able to offer a total solution at this point in time.

Start Date (Subject to change including the progression in stages to the approved Return to Train/Play Submission)

The League Football Committee has determined a priority to Saturday July 4 2020 for a recommencement to the 2020 Home and Away Season.
o A July 4 recommencement allows
 A 9 week Home and Away Season
• The League can schedule trial matches in the week or two prior to July 4 as an extension of the season proper
 A finals series over the course of 4 weekends allowing the season to conclude on the last weekend in September.

We hope there is an understanding of the many influences that may determine a need to reassess this position however they are at the mercy of a shift in focus from either of the SA Health or SAPOL authorities relative to the COVID-19 Risk to our community on the whole.

League Fees
In establishing a schedule of fees, The League has the following to consider and unfortunately Internal League fees are influenced by 3rd parties and form part of ongoing negotiations.

o League Fees
 Insurance (JLT)
 Administration
 Umpire Fees

Insurance Premiums form a significant % of League fees and until we have that information or as close to an understanding as to what it may be, our efforts to complete our own risks continue to remain in a holding pattern.

Total Player Payments Schedule (TPPS)
A revised State limit by SANFL Community has yet to be determined however we are anticipating receipt of that advice by the end of Next week i.e. 29th May.
Our limited understanding is many regional Leagues are of the same view as the greater majority of AdFL Clubs that a TPPS limit should be cut significantly given the environment all clubs are navigating.

Penalties for Breach of COVID-19 Regulations
The League is very aware of the very stringent expectations to remain compliant to both the SANFL’s submission for Return to (Play and Train) as well as the more broader expectations by SA Health and SAPOL.
The priority The League has determined to this matter is best referred to in Clause of The League’s Approved Constitution with respect to the powers of The League Executive:

All Clubs should be under no illusion of The League Executive’s intent to ensure The Adelaide Footy League is not brought into disrepute by any club breaching Community standards set by SAPOL or Return to Play standards approved by SA Health.

Before committing to train and or play, all clubs should assess their ability to comply to standards set.

We continue encourage all clubs to contact the League direct with any enquiries.

Regards
John Kernahan | Chiefton | Not related to Stephen
The Bedge
Coach

Postby jo172 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 am

piccachu wrote:Football clubs are struggling enough as it is financially and with dwindling playing numbers. i really dont see the sense in playing the 9 game seasons.

Speculation that doesn't seem to make it worthwhile to rob thousands of blokes who want to play a game of footy on the weekend from the chance to do so.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 19, 2020 10:13 am

football tragic wrote:Expecting players to train now with another 7 weeks until first game is too long

Who said you've got to train from now?
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League