I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby Footy Chick » Wed May 20, 2020 8:58 pm

whufc wrote:Potentially looking at making an offer for our first home.

Just wondering what the general protocol is for making an offer for the house.

We obviously want to get it as cheap as possible but not sure what should be a low level first offer.

Depends on how long the property has been on the market too. You have a bit more bargaining power if it's been sitting there for a while
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby whufc » Wed May 20, 2020 9:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:

We obviously want to get it as cheap as possible but not sure what should be a low level first offer.

Subject to finance or do you have that sorted?

We will have it all sorted before we make an offer and have an in-principal loan for the amount we will offer.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby daysofourlives » Wed May 20, 2020 9:07 pm

whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

We will have it all sorted before we make an offer and have an in-principal loan for the amount we will offer.

If its a home you really want and you can see yourself staying there for a long time then a few grand doesnt matter and make a decent offer, dont lowball, you may lose it. As far as im aware it is not an auction process when making an offer, i dont think you get a 2nd chance especially if someone else has made an offer, give it your best offer. Hope that makes sense. Im sure ill be told if im wrong about the offer process
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Brodlach » Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Good advice Daisy
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 20, 2020 11:52 pm

whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

That gives you power over competition then, some vendors will take a lower offer knowing the contact is unconditional and they can settle in 30 days time, it gives them some certainty. Whereas if they take a higher offer, but subject to finance, and it falls thru they have wasted 3 weeks and if they have a mortgage over the property it has cost them 3 weeks of interest only to be back at square one.

You wouldn't be selling right now unless you had to so I think there is some scope to pick up a bargain.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby helicopterking » Thu May 21, 2020 5:03 am

Neighbour wants to build a shed the length of my block and almost 4m high. Fence between us is 1.8m.
We live in a close proximity residential area with not a huge amount of yard/viewing space
Council have approved it, is there any point in arguing it?
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby LMA » Thu May 21, 2020 8:54 am

helicopterking wrote:Neighbour wants to build a shed the length of my block and almost 4m high. Fence between us is 1.8m.
We live in a close proximity residential area with not a huge amount of yard/viewing space

Might be worth getting an independent opinion to see if it will restrict natural light into your dwelling, if it does you don't want to be out of pocket for extra lighting or heating. Also you could query the intent of the shed, if it's to be used for business purposes in a residential zone then I would think that's worthy of a challenge. But essentially a building that height is no different to having a house next door and as long as the required set backs are adhered to then you may struggle to argue it. Just an opinion though.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby LMA » Thu May 21, 2020 8:59 am

What's a sparky cost these days, haven't used one since the build of our joint. Looking at moving a TV point and adding 3 extra points around the house. Standard timber frame/gyprock structure.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Thu May 21, 2020 9:19 am

daysofourlives wrote:If its a home you really want and you can see yourself staying there for a long time then a few grand doesnt matter and make a decent offer, dont lowball, you may lose it. As far as im aware it is not an auction process when making an offer, i dont think you get a 2nd chance especially if someone else has made an offer, give it your best offer. Hope that makes sense. Im sure ill be told if im wrong about the offer process

Depends on the conditions of each offer and absolutely you may get the opportunity to make more than one financial offer, I'd imagine your conditions would be the same regardless of the amount.

For instance an unconditional offer of $400k ( for a number in the discussion ) would be much more attractive to me than $430k "subject to sale" ( of that persons existing property ). If you've got the best offer / package to the vendor it might not mean you are the top offer in dollar terms.

You need to play the agent to see where things sit in regards to the vendor, are they looking for a quick exit or are they prepared to wait for a "subject to sale", if they're after a quick exit don't blow your wad on your first offer.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Thu May 21, 2020 9:39 am

helicopterking wrote:Neighbour wants to build a shed the length of my block and almost 4m high. Fence between us is 1.8m.

What's your beef with the proposed structure - loss of sunlight, visual dominance of a 4m high boundary wall?

Also, did Council formally notify you of the application and seek your comment, and if so, what category of application (2 or 3) was it?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Thu May 21, 2020 9:53 am

Magellan wrote:

What's your beef with the proposed structure - loss of sunlight, visual dominance of a 4m high boundary wall?

Also, did Council formally notify you of the application and seek your comment, and if so, what category of application (2 or 3) was it?

This.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby heater31 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:43 am

From what you describe I find it hard to believe that this is a complying development unless you live in the industrial area of Wingfield.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby MatteeG » Thu May 21, 2020 11:03 am

"Subject to finance".

Those 3 words cost us 15 k and about 2 months of mortgage payments when we sold our last home.

Offer was too good to be true.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby helicopterking » Thu May 21, 2020 11:14 am

Magellan wrote:

Yes the council have. The visual side of it.
Will Box in the entire side of the property. Zero southerly breeze will enter my yard. Guttering of the structure is 30-40cm higher then my roof guttering.
Category 2.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby heater31 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:25 am

helicopterking wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Will Box in the entire side of the property. Zero southerly breeze will enter my yard. Guttering of the structure is 30-40cm higher then my roof guttering.
Category 2.

Surely you're going to object?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Magellan » Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 am

helicopterking wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Category 2.

Cheers helicopterking. Being category 2, and since the council has already approved it, you don't have a right to appeal the decision which you would have if it was category 3.

If there were grounds to do so, you could appeal the description they gave the proposal, or the category (you would argue that it should've been category 3, which means they've deprived you of your right to appeal the final approval). If successful, the council would probably have to reassess the application again and notify it correctly, and at the end of the process, you could challenge the approval if granted.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Spangas » Thu May 21, 2020 12:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote: We will have it all sorted before we make an offer and have an in-principal loan for the amount we will offer.

That gives you power over competition then, some vendors will take a lower offer knowing the contact is unconditional and they can settle in 30 days time, it gives them some certainty. Whereas if they take a higher offer, but subject to finance, and it falls thru they have wasted 3 weeks and if they have a mortgage over the property it has cost them 3 weeks of interest only to be back at square one.

You wouldn't be selling right now unless you had to so I think there is some scope to pick up a bargain.

Definitely. Just be wary of the agent selling the property as they're not there to help you.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby JK » Thu May 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Dutchy wrote:
whufc wrote:
Dutchy wrote:You wouldn't be selling right now unless you had to so I think there is some scope to pick up a bargain.

Unless the seller thinks they also have a bargain replacement lined up. Either way, you’d think it’s a “Buyers market” at the moment. (F*** I hate that saying, need a shower now)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Corona Man » Thu May 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Not been on the forum the past few days.... what have I missed please?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:16 pm

Not much

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion