COVID-19 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: COVID-19 (Country)

Postby RHM 17 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:46 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
football tragic wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Dutchy wrote:The way I read these restrictions being lifted on 5/6/20, there could be games played without spectators after this date. Obviously that isnt going to happen but it shows we are not that far from further restrictions dropping which should include attendence, canteen/BBQ/Bar.

Trial games can be played through June at least, no one cares much for them except coaches and players.. then fingers crossed all is well for a July start.

Still puzzles me why people keep saying no canteen no football
If they are opening cafes and restaurants and fish and chip shops are packed with people where is the logic in even thinking football would be played without a canteen
And the crowd without the players, volunteers and direct family members is not a relevant argument either as I attended many games last year from div 1 to div 7 and hardly class it as a crowd.
So the question is more about the player payments more than anything as we haven't had clarity around that one.

Crowd issues would be more for Country comps but they can be spread around there ovals in the cars. Issue is also in country footy that you usually have 5 games at the same oval in one day so to monitor the level of people at the ground at one stage would be difficult. Plus alot of country comps rely on adelaide based players and if they aren't going to be able to get paid as much some won't come which will further hurt country teams. The issue is harder for country footy then the saafl or sfl in my opinion.

the barossa league have 4-5 games of footy and around 15 games of netball at the same ground on the same day.....hard to control crowd limits
RHM 17
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Ace of Spades » Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

exactly, unless as number7 says a freeze is put on clearances out of those laegues or as Yankalilla have done, gone it alone on pulling the pin a freeze should be put on any clearances out of Yankallila.
As you can see it will get very messy, just cancel the whole season everywhere except juniors, they could be playing now. they wouldnt even have to train, they could just play on weekends

I think they should still be allowed to play as a "loan player" until 2021 then their registration returns to Yankalilla.

I was going to suggest the same thing, you can't stop someone moving clubs if they want to play footy, a loan scenario like soccer would be perfect for this season.

I cant see how a loan system would be any different result. The players still head to another club, and get talked into staying the following year and lodge a clearance in 2021.
Ace of Spades
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 pm

Nothing different than what could happen in 2021 anyway, at least the loan scenario means they have a chance of retaining them.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Down the Hill » Thu May 21, 2020 2:43 pm

No different than what clubs do now for SANFL, NT players and some of the other circumstances where Permits are required as opposed to a full Transfer.

Player who wants to transfer from a club/league that has pulled the pin for 2020 - gets put on a permit with his new club until 31/10/2020. His original club remains his Primary club and he either registers with that original club in 2021 when the registration email goes out or the different club he wants to play for in 2021 lodges a transfer.

The SportsTG system is already geared for this so no need to invent any further categories of player movement.

The APPS system is the interesting one. If you are already on your points limit then you can't really bring in more A graders from other clubs. Could test the integrity versus the ego of some clubs and coaches. Wouldn't be popular amongst the playing group if you brought in 1 or 2 3 pointers and had to tell your existing points players that they are no longer guaranteed an A grade game because of points issues.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby daysofourlives » Thu May 21, 2020 4:10 pm

Ace of Spades wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

exactly, unless as number7 says a freeze is put on clearances out of those laegues or as Yankalilla have done, gone it alone on pulling the pin a freeze should be put on any clearances out of Yankallila.
As you can see it will get very messy, just cancel the whole season everywhere except juniors, they could be playing now. they wouldnt even have to train, they could just play on weekends

I think they should still be allowed to play as a "loan player" until 2021 then their registration returns to Yankalilla.

I was going to suggest the same thing, you can't stop someone moving clubs if they want to play footy, a loan scenario like soccer would be perfect for this season.

I cant see how a loan system would be any different result. The players still head to another club, and get talked into staying the following year and lodge a clearance in 2021.

Exactly. If the players did move for this year would they be points exempt? would this then compromise the competition they move to. As i said earlier its just going to get too messy. 500 crowd limit is still not big enough for country footy.
I know the BL&G will pull the pin if normal crowds arent allowed. With only one round of matches then the draw becomes an issue. When a Barossa team play a Gawler team the crowds and money made are nothing compared to when they play each other. If you got the 3 Gawler teams in your 4 home games you may as well not participate in the season. July 18 is the last date the BL&G can start.
Reading between the lines i think a lot of clubs are hoping the CFL pull the pin on the season for them.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Trader » Thu May 21, 2020 4:23 pm

So because some comps have increased their expenses and therefore can't run in a reduced capacity all comps should be punished and the 10,000+ footballers who want to play, can play, won't be allowed to?

As for your comments in relation to the CFL 'doing their duty' and 'protecting country leagues', these country leagues are the very comps who repeatedly thumbed their noses at the CFL and actively pushed back against things like salary caps and or points systems? I'm not surprised if the CFL don't feel protecting their leagues are high on their priority list.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 21, 2020 5:04 pm

There is a bit of irony that this situation could reverse the flow of players heading bush and bring the momentum back to city clubs that have copped player losses for year after year.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby SuperFrank » Thu May 21, 2020 5:54 pm

Trader wrote:So because some comps have increased their expenses and therefore can't run in a reduced capacity all comps should be punished and the 10,000+ footballers who want to play, can play, won't be allowed to?

As for your comments in relation to the CFL 'doing their duty' and 'protecting country leagues', these country leagues are the very comps who repeatedly thumbed their noses at the CFL and actively pushed back against things like salary caps and or points systems? I'm not surprised if the CFL don't feel protecting their leagues are high on their priority list.

Which leagues are we talking here??
SuperFrank
Rookie

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu May 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Trader wrote:So because some comps have increased their expenses and therefore can't run in a reduced capacity all comps should be punished and the 10,000+ footballers who want to play, can play, won't be allowed to?

What is their job then? Why were the points and salary cap introduced?
The country leagues all accepted the salary cap and points system, they didnt want to but they did. they have never thumbed their noses at the CFL.
I can see how you little amateur league clubs, alot with no juniors and with no more than 50 in attendance cant comprehend what country clubs are facing. Or that they need to buy players just to be competitive never mind about winning a flag. The difference in sizes of towns within each country league makes this a necessity
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby SuperFrank » Thu May 21, 2020 7:00 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

What is their job then? Why were the points and salary cap introduced?
The country leagues all accepted the salary cap and points system, they didnt want to but they did. they have never thumbed their noses at the CFL.
I can see how you little amateur league clubs, alot with no juniors and with no more than 50 in attendance cant comprehend what country clubs are facing. Or that they need to buy players just to be competitive never mind about winning a flag. The difference in sizes of towns within each country league makes this a necessity

Spot on!!

Leagues on the Vic border also have to compete against Vic clubs who have almost double the salary cap.
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby scottroo » Thu May 21, 2020 9:59 pm

You only accepted the salary cap as CFL bent over with incentives, fuel allowance, etc. and still most clubs are paying under the table still
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby SuperFrank » Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 am

scottroo wrote:You only accepted the salary cap as CFL bent over with incentives, fuel allowance, etc. and still most clubs are paying under the table still

So because of the minority of clubs who push the boundaries/cross the line, the rest of the regional clubs who are actually in trouble & have been for some years, deserve to be left in the gutter aswell?

I understand your point, there is an issue with some leagues/clubs, but not every country club has cash to burn on recruits every year & "rorts" the system year in year out.

This is an endless debate anyway, it will go on for years hahaha
SuperFrank
Rookie

Postby Arry Gablett » Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am

Lets just start cricket earlier
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 46 times

Postby oldbomber » Sat May 23, 2020 11:51 am

Going to be very interested to see what comes out of meeting on June 8 or 9. It will provide clear direction to all i beleive. I think we will play a shortened season this year starting in July unless we open borders to early and a second wave hits us.

No reason you cant have crowds and social distance. Look at shopping centres and public transport. We can do better than that and those things are considered ok. No one is going to force anyone who doesnt want to play to play this year either so thats their choice.

Too many clubs have made the call early. They say its costs and volunteer related in many cases yet lots of other clubs both big and small have more of a can do attitude and the common sense to wait and see what the restrictions are before they make an informed decision on this year. Its easy to quit when under the pump but the tougher clubs with more character and resolve will find a way to make it work if allowed to. Doubt the clubs who pulled out explored all avenues before pulling out of this year. Did they ask if players would take less money or pay for their own tape, re negotiate with sponsors, cancel b grade to make it easier to field a team etc? They were hasty decisions made without all the info on restrictions which is changing very quickly and moving in a positive direction.

As for player payments this year that is completly up to the club to sort with their players. If a club has run a sustainable business and can pay so be it or if players are at a club for the right reasons they will be open to pay cuts or no payments maybe thinhs like travel only if they love footy enough due to these unprecedented times that covid virus has caused.
The SANFL and CFL should stay out of it. You cant penalize all clubs statewide because the SANFL cant run and manage a business properly. The fact they are asking players to train 4-5 nights a week and play for free is laughable and shows how poor their business model and management team is. Their first decision should have been to scrap the Resrves comp its been a waste of time and money for many years. I hope a lot of SANFL players transfer if they can get some compensation for their time and travel as semi professional athletes. Be great for crowds to see and lift standard of community level footy.

Travel payments should be allowed for country clubs as a minimum is my view but think SANFL and CFL will try stop payments and possibly clearances. Nothing wrong with SANFL players deciding to play for free in a lesser league and train one night a week either and have a year with lesser commitment if they choose to. Hopefully they are able to do this without having to take action against their employer who wont pay them yet may try hold them prisoner.

Looking forward to the footy coming back this year from a community perspective. A great sense of pride and achievement will be reward for all the hard working tight knit communities with a positive attitude who unite and get back on the park in 2020.

"Tough times dont last. Tough people do"
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sat May 23, 2020 3:30 pm

oldbomber wrote:Going to be very interested to see what comes out of meeting on June 8 or 9. It will provide clear direction to all i beleive. I think we will play a shortened season this year starting in July unless we open borders to early and a second wave hits us.

No reason you cant have crowds and social distance. Look at shopping centres and public transport. We can do better than that and those things are considered ok. No one is going to force anyone who doesnt want to play to play this year either so thats their choice.

Too many clubs have made the call early. They say its costs and volunteer related in many cases yet lots of other clubs both big and small have more of a can do attitude and the common sense to wait and see what the restrictions are before they make an informed decision on this year. Its easy to quit when under the pump but the tougher clubs with more character and resolve will find a way to make it work if allowed to. Doubt the clubs who pulled out explored all avenues before pulling out of this year. Did they ask if players would take less money or pay for their own tape, re negotiate with sponsors, cancel b grade to make it easier to field a team etc? They were hasty decisions made without all the info on restrictions which is changing very quickly and moving in a positive direction.

As for player payments this year that is completly up to the club to sort with their players. If a club has run a sustainable business and can pay so be it or if players are at a club for the right reasons they will be open to pay cuts or no payments maybe thinhs like travel only if they love footy enough due to these unprecedented times that covid virus has caused.
The SANFL and CFL should stay out of it. You cant penalize all clubs statewide because the SANFL cant run and manage a business properly. The fact they are asking players to train 4-5 nights a week and play for free is laughable and shows how poor their business model and management team is. Their first decision should have been to scrap the Resrves comp its been a waste of time and money for many years. I hope a lot of SANFL players transfer if they can get some compensation for their time and travel as semi professional athletes. Be great for crowds to see and lift standard of community level footy.

Travel payments should be allowed for country clubs as a minimum is my view but think SANFL and CFL will try stop payments and possibly clearances. Nothing wrong with SANFL players deciding to play for free in a lesser league and train one night a week either and have a year with lesser commitment if they choose to. Hopefully they are able to do this without having to take action against their employer who wont pay them yet may try hold them prisoner.

Looking forward to the footy coming back this year from a community perspective. A great sense of pride and achievement will be reward for all the hard working tight knit communities with a positive attitude who unite and get back on the park in 2020.

"Tough times dont last. Tough people do"

As if the SANFL/CFL will allow clearances out of the SANFL and allow country clubs to facilitate it with "travel moneÿ"
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby oldbomber » Sat May 23, 2020 4:31 pm

Thats what im getting at. SANFL might try rule with an iron fist but they cant expect everything in terms of commitment (10-20 hrs per week as a guess) from their players for no return. Some blokes might prefer work saturday to cover income loss. I dont see how the governing bodies can legally stop a player clearing out of the league when they dont honour their own contract/obligations. Again if remote country league clubs unanimously agree to pay fuel money and perhaps even under the table payments if banned to players from city to put a team on the park and kickstart their local communities because they run a sustainable club these cluster f#@*$ of governing bodies wont be able to do anything about it!
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 25, 2020 3:55 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby MatteeG » Mon May 25, 2020 4:51 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Is the contact training still restricted to groups of 10?
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 25, 2020 4:55 pm

MatteeG wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Is the contact training still restricted to groups of 10?

Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 25, 2020 4:58 pm

I presume the SANFL will issue a communication at some stage shortly clarifying where footy sits with these changes.
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy