Jack Oatey Medallists

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: Jack Oatey Medallists

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Wed May 20, 2020 7:02 pm

am Bays wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
Never knew about this $2000 rule. As a kid playing for Tea Tree Gully in the later '80's there was a photo of Ben Harris in the clubrooms, and I always wondered how he got to Port (of course these days they are neighbouring Councils, another stupid idea!!)
Also, with the Jarman's being at Gaza, I just assumed that was always North because it was closer in to the city, but should they have been Torrens players? And I always assumed Krieg come from the mid-North area
Was the original intention ever for Pertaringa to become Torrens home ground?
In hindsight, would having been putting a new club at Modbury and Elizabeth right from the start and keeping West and Torrens where they were without Woodville a more viable option? Would it have been seen as too much of a risk? Would it have met with resistance from Glenelg, Sturt, South, who in comparison with the west/north-west teams had struggled since WW2?

Without want to take this thread off track Woodville were basically brought in to weaken Port on the back of their six in a row during the 1950s. Centrals were put in recognition that, that area of Adelaide was the future population growth area. AS has been discussed the plan was to get rid South at the time, too. (South out Centrals in - stay as an 8 team competition) but when that became to difficult politically Woodville was created and a 10 team comp it became.

It is interesting that the NSW Rugby League did the same in 1967. They brought in Cronulla-Sutherland to weaken St George on the back of their 11 in a row premierships from 1956 to 1966. Cronulla were the equivalent of Woodville established in the adjacent Southern suburbs of the St George area. Penrith entered in 1967 in the growth western suburbs area of Sydney, aka Centrals.

Anyway I sure RIG has a better and more factual recollection of this and I eagerly await his 1970 season summary and JO nomination.

There, thread back on track.

1970 Review already done. a good read indeed
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby mal » Wed May 20, 2020 8:56 pm

1969 Jack Oatey nominees
I must say MAL Greenslade is a very good nomination
Other players who played well include :
Paul Mr Magic Bagshaw
Brenton Adcock
Diamond Jim Tilbrook

If the bookies were framing market on the JO medal in 1969 I think a player on debut for GL would have opened up favorite
The debutante was the superstar Royce Hart
The man who arguably is the greatest player to wear a GL guernsey[ or Stephen Kernahan]

Because WA + WT drew the 1st SANFL semi final, and was replayed , it meant the SANFL grand final was played a week after the VFL grand final
In 1969 Royce Hart played in Richmonds winning Grand Final team
RI 12-13
CA 8-12

Royce Hart was a 'nasho' back them, and for whatever reason was allowed to play in the SANFL Grand Final
In 1969 Neil Armstrong landed on the moon and Royce Hart landed on the green green grass of Adelaide oval after a collision with a ST player
Its been long reported ST were out to get Royce Hart, however in my opinion, the actual incident that concussed Hart, was accidental contact
It has also been said that Hart was ineffective, but thats not quite correct, Hart kicked 2 goals and played a respectable game, all things considering
ST 24-15
GL 13-16

Royce Hart didnt achieve what Brett James and Aaron Keating were to do in 1997
Those 2 players won 2 grand finals in 2 different competitions AFL/SANFL
Hart would have made it a VFL/SANFL double

Royce Harts 1969 season had not ended yet !
For a few years, back then , the SANFL premiers would play the VFL premiers after the grand finals
The game was played at Adelaide Oval
ST 9-10
RI 15-27
Royce Hart ends up with a form of revenge, this time in a winning team against ST !

Royce Hart is one of my all time favorite players
Massive left foot drop punts , spectacular high leaping marks, and exceptional high skill levels for the times
He was that good CA devised a tactic to curtail Hart in the VFL GF
John Goold was the CHB who stood on Hart , and BIG Peter 'Percy' Jones' played loose in defence a fair bit
So in effect Hart was often double manned to reduce his effectiveness , BIG Percy Jones took many marks playing when in that defensive role
Another thing happened in this match and Im yet to read about it anywhere
At about the 10 minute mark of the last qtr Hart was running towards the goal and collided with a CA defender
It was not clear who the CA defender was when I saw this match, but it looked like BIG Wes Lofts
Hart landed on the green green grass of his adopted home state , and had required a fair bit of attention by the RI trainers
He appeared slightly concussed ?
Had the Lofts collison been somewhat harder, Hart may have been concussed , and in pure speculation, may have missed the 69 SANFL GF !

They were an interesting 3 weeks for Royce Hart
Played in 2 grand finals and a challenge match
It can not be overlooked he did all this with the spectre of being sent to a war

Heres another speculative opinion
Had Royce Hart not been concussed early in the SANFL GF, I reckon he might have been B.O.G ...
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby robranisgod » Thu May 21, 2020 9:39 am

mal wrote:1969 Jack Oatey nominees
I must say MAL Greenslade is a very good nomination
Other players who played well include :
Paul Mr Magic Bagshaw
Brenton Adcock
Diamond Jim Tilbrook

If the bookies were framing market on the JO medal in 1969 I think a player on debut for GL would have opened up favorite
The debutante was the superstar Royce Hart
The man who arguably is the greatest player to wear a GL guernsey[ or Stephen Kernahan]

Because WA + WT drew the 1st SANFL semi final, and was replayed , it meant the SANFL grand final was played a week after the VFL grand final
In 1969 Royce Hart played in Richmonds winning Grand Final team
RI 12-13
CA 8-12

Royce Hart was a 'nasho' back them, and for whatever reason was allowed to play in the SANFL Grand Final
In 1969 Neil Armstrong landed on the moon and Royce Hart landed on the green green grass of Adelaide oval after a collision with a ST player
Its been long reported ST were out to get Royce Hart, however in my opinion, the actual incident that concussed Hart, was accidental contact
It has also been said that Hart was ineffective, but thats not quite correct, Hart kicked 2 goals and played a respectable game, all things considering
ST 24-15
GL 13-16

Royce Hart didnt achieve what Brett James and Aaron Keating were to do in 1997
Those 2 players won 2 grand finals in 2 different competitions AFL/SANFL
Hart would have made it a VFL/SANFL double

Royce Harts 1969 season had not ended yet !
For a few years, back then , the SANFL premiers would play the VFL premiers after the grand finals
The game was played at Adelaide Oval
ST 9-10
RI 15-27
Royce Hart ends up with a form of revenge, this time in a winning team against ST !

Royce Hart is one of my all time favorite players
Massive left foot drop punts , spectacular high leaping marks, and exceptional high skill levels for the times
He was that good CA devised a tactic to curtail Hart in the VFL GF
John Goold was the CHB who stood on Hart , and BIG Peter 'Percy' Jones' played loose in defence a fair bit
So in effect Hart was often double manned to reduce his effectiveness , BIG Percy Jones took many marks playing when in that defensive role
Another thing happened in this match and Im yet to read about it anywhere
At about the 10 minute mark of the last qtr Hart was running towards the goal and collided with a CA defender
It was not clear who the CA defender was when I saw this match, but it looked like BIG Wes Lofts
Hart landed on the green green grass of his adopted home state , and had required a fair bit of attention by the RI trainers
He appeared slightly concussed ?
Had the Lofts collison been somewhat harder, Hart may have been concussed , and in pure speculation, may have missed the 69 SANFL GF !

They were an interesting 3 weeks for Royce Hart
Played in 2 grand finals and a challenge match
It can not be overlooked he did all this with the spectre of being sent to a war

Heres another speculative opinion
Had Royce Hart not been concussed early in the SANFL GF, I reckon he might have been B.O.G ...

I don't know the stats but Hart got a lot of touches in the 1969 Grand Final. The problem was that because of Sturt's dominance he had to lead way up the ground to get his kicks and he seemingly got a lot his touches around the wing. I would have thought he was just about Glenelg's best player in that game. I know that Terry Crabb on the wing had a good day, but I don't remember who else from Glenelg performed well.
It was Neil Kerley's last league game, but I am afraid Father Time had caught up with Neil.
It may come as a surprise to many that Sturt's score of 24 goals 15 behinds, 159 points remains the highest SANFL Grand Final score, 6 points more than North scored in 1952 and Central in 2004.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby mal » Thu May 21, 2020 1:20 pm

Royce Hart was paid $2000 to play for Glenelg in the GF
National Service rulings of the time were that Hart could have played for either GL or ST on the day

Heres some quotes arising from the game

Cant confirm this one, the source has posted elsewhere that it was in a Sturt History Book
It might shed some light on the Hart concussion incident

" There was nothing in the incident
I was standing Royce Hart and we followed the ball to the eastern boundary in front of the temporary scaffolding stand
I gave Royce a push on his side and he stumbled hitting his head on Trevor Clarkes hip bone and he went out cold
Clarke was coming in the opposite direction."
By
Phillip 'Sandy' Nelson
Father of Ben Nelson who later played for Sturt

This one I can confirm as I read this in the wonderful publication Pride Of The Bay book

" Of the decision to play Hart, I think if you asked every player, the end general view would have been negative, however it was a very difficult matter because Royce Hart was either going to play for Sturt or he was going to play for Glenelg in the Grand Final
Jack Oatey said he would have played Royce Hart, he made it quite clear he would have played Hart had Sturt been able to secure his services."
By
Peter Marker
In my opinion a very slightly under-rated footballer
I loved watching him play , I always thought he deserved more accolades than he got
Peter was also one of my very favorite football commentators

" It was said the $2000 I received was the highest fee paid to a player for one match
You might ask was it worth it, too right , Id get in the ring with Cassius Clay and get knocked out 100 times for that sort of money."
By
Royce Hart
mal
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Thu May 21, 2020 7:56 pm

mal wrote:Cant confirm this one, the source has posted elsewhere that it was in a Sturt History Book
It might shed some light on the Hart concussion incident

" There was nothing in the incident
I was standing Royce Hart and we followed the ball to the eastern boundary in front of the temporary scaffolding stand
I gave Royce a push on his side and he stumbled hitting his head on Trevor Clarkes hip bone and he went out cold
Clarke was coming in the opposite direction."
By
Phillip 'Sandy' Nelson
Father of Ben Nelson who later played for Sturt

Peter Marker
In my opinion a very slightly under-rated footballer
I loved watching him play , I always thought he deserved more accolades than he got
Peter was also one of my very favorite football commentators

"Sandy" Nelson's summation of the Hart incident is fairly much how I saw it as a neutral observer all those years ago. Certainly there was no suggestion that it was a deliberate act at the time. The first suggestion that it was deliberate was in 1970 when Royce Hart released an autobiography. He claimed that it had been planned and that the whole of Adelaide was talking about it. Lawrie Jervis of "The News" was scathing in his criticism of Hart and maintained that he had never heard the incident mentioned since the game. Whatever the case somehow it has become folklore that Hart was a victim of some dastardly plan, which is foreign to the way Sturt played at the time, and especially the way Trevor Clarke, in particular, played.

I agree that Peter Marker is under-rated these days as a footballer. He was a former state captain and he had a wonderful record against the great Russell Ebert. The general consensus is that for whatever reason Marker had Ebert's measure. Whether this is true of not, Marker certainly beat Ebert in both the 1970 and 1974 Preliminary Finals. Marker's explosive pace off the mark seemed to worry Ebert.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Fri May 22, 2020 4:14 pm

There were these 3 significant things that happened in 1967
Barrie Robran debuted for NA
Peter Marker debuted for GL
I was coaxed into barracking and attending a few WA matches !

RD 1
Peter Marker played reserves
In the league game GL raised their bats as they defeated WDV by a ton
WD 10-8
GL 26-12
Young Peter Marker didnt hang around for the league match, instead he drove from Woodville Oval to Unley Oval
Peter was a NA barracker and he rolled up to see NA beat last years premiers ST
ST 12-17
NA 15-16
Peter therefore watched the debut of Barrie Robran on that day
Peter played for the GL league soon after the opening round

How things would work out for both the champs in the next few years
Bear in mind that without zones Peter Marker might have wanted to play for NA ?
The transition years for both players 69 onwards
1969 Marker losing GF
1970 Marker losing GF
1971 Robran winning GF
1972 Robran winning GF

At this stage Peter Marker should have been thinking what if I played for the team I barracked for, NA
However
1973 Marker winning GF Robran losing GF
Peter Marker is FINALly rewarded

If you ever you want to see Barrie Robran and Peter Marker in one packaged game
Do yourself a favor and watch the 1973 state game SA V VI at the Adelaide Oval- when both the champs played well
mal
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri May 22, 2020 4:22 pm

mal wrote:1967

RD 1
WD 10-8
GL 26-12
Young Peter Marker didnt hang around for the league match, instead he drove from Woodville Oval to Unley Oval
ST 12-17
NA 15-16

1969 Marker losing GF
1970 Marker losing GF
1971 Robran winning GF
1972 Robran winning GF

At this stage Peter Marker should have been thinking what if I played for the team I barracked for, NA
However

Do yourself a favor and watch the 1973 state game SA V VI at the Adelaide Oval- when both the champs played well

Happy to be corrected, but I thought I'd read somewhere that Marker was Sturt fan?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby robranisgod » Fri May 22, 2020 7:12 pm

Magellan wrote:

RD 1
WD 10-8
GL 26-12
ST 12-17
NA 15-16

1969 Marker losing GF
1970 Marker losing GF
1971 Robran winning GF
1972 Robran winning GF

However

Happy to be corrected, but I thought I'd read somewhere that Marker was Sturt fan?

No, Mal is correct. Marker often mentioned over the years that he drove to see Barrie Robran's first game after playing Reserves at Woodville. Even in the week after the 1973 Grand Final he mentioned that it was ironic that he grew up being a passionate North fan because that was the team his father supported and watched and took Peter to.
He also said he supported North up until the day he first played against them in about Round 8 that year. He never explained what caused the change but it would be hard to support the opposition.
Having said that I know of one Glenelg player of that era who supported Norwood throughout the whole of his league career!!!
A little later on Paul Weston, too, also grew up as a North Adelaide supporter.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby mal » Fri May 22, 2020 8:42 pm

Found a treasure
Peter Marker doing a sports segment, his assistant Graham Campbell , and indeed a one time fiesty GL coach
Graham did some work for the TAB at one stage, his famous slogan line was " Dont just pick the winners back em on footy punt."
To this day I dont think Ive met a more effervescent football personality, Grahams company was often fascinating
Peter and Graham interviewed 2 players who played in the 1950 SANFL Grand Final
Glenelgs funny man Stan Wickham
Norwoods and the thread title Jack Oatey

1950 Grand Final
NW 15-16[106]
GL 8-11 [59]
Great effort by NW as GL had never lost an SANFL Grand Final leading into this match

These were the team line ups
NW
DALWOOD.....WAY...............TILBROOK
PEDDER.......MAYO..............DRAGE
OLDS.......BLACKMORE.....GALLAGHER
EDWARDS...GILES..............ROBERTS
LE PAGE.....REIMANN...........BURKE

IST RUCK
MARRIOTT.......RUDD...........OATEY

RESERVES
GROSS
WARREN

GL
LAFFIN............CHURCHETT.....KEMPSON
HANNAFORD....PRIOR...........DONALDSON
MCPHERSON....TRENORDEN...KARUTZ
WINDOW..........D TAYLOR.......WRIGHT
WICKHAM........HUNT...............POTTER

1ST RUCK
CRABB
J TAYLOR
HAUSSEN

RESERVES
BOEHM
MILLER

Relatively speaking

Kevin Sam Gallagher a brilliant wingman from reports sired another brilliant NW wingman Phillip Gallagher
Phillip Gallagher reached dizzy heights by kicking the winning goal for NW to beat ST by 1 point in the 1978 GF
Kevin Sam Gallaghers team mate of the 1950 NW flag was Jack Oatey who coached ST in 1978
Incredibly there have been 7 Gallaghers to play football for NW

Peter Dalwood was a NW BIG man by reports a star ruckman/forward who once scored 12 goals against GL
He sired Grant Dalwood[NW] and is the grandfather of Will Dalwood[NW + NA]

Jack Oatey sired Robert[NW + ST] and Peter Oatey [NW]
Robert Oatey later coached NW and was a tenacious rover
Peter Oatey also a rover or forward went on to become a doctor and was a tennis player of repute
I thank him for once helping me with a shoulder injury

Are there any more NW relativities ?
Is there GL relativities ?

Iohn Marriot was the Peter Argent B.O.G nomination
NW forward Peter Tilbrook has a mention as being one of NWs best players in the 50 GF
Is Peter Tilbrook any relation to Diamond Jim Tilbrook who later played for ST ?

I also have some dialogue from this Grand Final by Stan Wickham and our man Jack Oatey which i will present in another post
Last edited by mal on Fri May 22, 2020 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mal
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Fri May 22, 2020 9:26 pm

mal wrote:1950
Found a treasure
Peter Marker doing a sports segment, his assistant Graham Campbell , and indeed a GL coach
Graham did some work for the TAB at one stage, his famous slogan line was " Dont just pick the winners back em on footy punt."
To this day I dont think Ive met a more effervescent football personality, Grahams company was often fascinating
Glenelg funny man Stan Wickham
Norwoods and the thread title jack Oatey

1950 Grand Final
NW 15-16[106]
GL 8-11 [59]

NW
LE PAGE.....REIMAN.............BURKE

IST RUCK

RESERVES
GROSS
WARREN

GL

1ST RUCK
CRABB
J TAYLOR
HAUSSEN

RESERVES
BOEHM
MILLER

Relatively speaking

Kevin Sam Gallagher a brilliant wingman from reports sired another brilliant Norwood wingman Phillip Gallagher
Phillip Gallagher reached dizzy heights by kicking the winning goal for NW to beat ST by 1 point in the 1978 GF
Kevin Sam Gallaghers team mate of the 1950 Norwood flag was Jack Oatey who coached ST in 1978

Peter Dalwood was a NW BIG man by reports a star ruckman/forward who once scored 12 goals against GL
He sired Peter Dalwood and is the grandfather of Will Dalwood

Jack Oatey sired Robert[NW + ST] and Peter Oatey [8]
Peter Oatey also a rover or forward went on to become a doctor and was a tennis player of repute

Are there any more Norwood relativities ?

Norwood forward Peter Tilbrook has a mention as being one of NWs best players in the 50 GF
Is Peter Tilbrook any relation to Diamond Jim Tilbrook who later played for ST ?

I also have some dialogue from this Grand Final by Stan Wickham and our man Jack Oatey which i will present in another post

I don't think that Peter Tilbrook was related to John Tilbrook. It was never mentioned during "Diamond Jim's" career.

Lionel Blackmore is the grandfather of St Kilda antagonist of about a decade ago, Steven Baker. Bob Hank often mentioned that Lionel Blackmore was his toughest opponent.

Glenelg had two players whose sons played in the 1969 Grand Final. Glenelg ruckman and retrospective Magarey Medallist, Allan Crabb's son Terry played on the wing for Glenelg in the 1969 Grand Final and played a fine game. Allan Crabb had been a pilot in the Second World War and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. He continued as a pilot as a profession in his civilian life after the War. He was a particularly cultured man with a wonderful speaking voice, He was a mainstay of the wonderful World of Sport football panel of the late 1960s and early 1970s. He also called football on the radio in the late 1960s. Sadly, like John Marriott, Allan Crabb passed away whilst still in his 50s.
Terry Crabb was a geologist and his career was shortened because of his profession. Another of Allan's sons, Nick, rucked briefly for Glenelg.
The Glenelg full back, Ray Hunt, had a son, Chris Hunt, who played in the back pocket in the 1969 Grand Final. Ray Hunt represented SA in interstate football in an era that had South Australia's finest ever full back, Ian McKay and West Torrens champion Full Back, Alf Roberts both of whom limited Ray's ability to play state football. Ray Hunt actually played 6 games for Richmond in 1943, whilst on was service. One of those 6 games was the 1943 VFL Grand Final which saw him become a VFL premiership player. He was one of the earliest SANFL players to play 200 league games.
Chris Hunt never quite reached the heights of his father, but he was a very fine player who played 136 games for Glenelg.
The Glenelg half back, Clarrie Window, who was playing in his last league game, is the father of former Central player and Magarey Medallist, Gary Window.
Clarrie played before the war for Glenelg and then from 1946 until 1950.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Spargo » Fri May 22, 2020 10:00 pm

robranisgod wrote:
mal wrote:1950
Found a treasure
Peter Marker doing a sports segment, his assistant Graham Campbell , and indeed a GL coach
Glenelg funny man Stan Wickham
Norwoods and the thread title jack Oatey

1950 Grand Final
NW 15-16[106]
GL 8-11 [59]

NW
LE PAGE.....REIMAN.............BURKE

IST RUCK

RESERVES
GROSS
WARREN

GL

1ST RUCK
CRABB
J TAYLOR
HAUSSEN

RESERVES
BOEHM
MILLER

Relatively speaking

Kevin Sam Gallagher a brilliant wingman from reports sired another brilliant Norwood wingman Phillip Gallagher
Kevin Sam Gallaghers team mate of the 1950 Norwood flag was Jack Oatey who coached ST in 1978

He sired Peter Dalwood and is the grandfather of Will Dalwood

Jack Oatey sired Robert[NW + ST] and Peter Oatey [8]

Are there any more Norwood relativities ?

Norwood forward Peter Tilbrook has a mention as being one of NWs best players in the 50 GF

I don't think that Peter Tilbrook was related to John Tilbrook. It was never mentioned during "Diamond Jim's" career.

Lionel Blackmore is the grandfather of St Kilda antagonist of about a decade ago, Steven Baker. Bob Hank often mentioned that Lionel Blackmore was his toughest opponent.

Glenelg had two players whose sons played in the 1969 Grand Final. Glenelg ruckman and retrospective Magarey Medallist, Allan Crabb's son Terry played on the wing for Glenelg in the 1969 Grand Final and played a fine game. Allan Crabb had been a pilot in the Second World War and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. He continued as a pilot as a profession in his civilian life after the War. He was a particularly cultured man with a wonderful speaking voice, He was a mainstay of the wonderful World of Sport football panel of the late 1960s and early 1970s. He also called football on the radio in the late 1960s. Sadly, like John Marriott, Allan Crabb passed away whilst still in his 50s.
Terry Crabb was a geologist and his career was shortened because of his profession. Another of Allan's sons, Nick, rucked briefly for Glenelg.
The Glenelg full back, Ray Hunt, had a son, Chris Hunt, who played in the back pocket in the 1969 Grand Final. Ray Hunt represented SA in interstate football in an era that had South Australia's finest ever full back, Ian McKay and West Torrens champion Full Back, Alf Roberts both of whom limited Ray's ability to play state football. Ray Hunt actually played 6 games for Richmond in 1943, whilst on was service. One of those 6 games was the 1943 VFL Grand Final which saw him become a VFL premiership player. He was one of the earliest SANFL players to play 200 league games.
Chris Hunt never quite reached the heights of his father, but he was a very fine player who played 136 games for Glenelg.
The Glenelg half back, Clarrie Window, who was playing in his last league game, is the father of former Central player and Magarey Medallist, Gary Window.
Clarrie played before the war for Glenelg and then from 1946 until 1950.

One of the players on Glenelg’s bench, Miller, is my Grandfather.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mal » Fri May 22, 2020 10:44 pm

There were at least 2 players for Glenelg that had to be beaten or curtailed for NW to go a fair way to winning the 1950 GF
Star full forward Colin Churchett and star full back Ray Hunt
Colin Churchett kicked 105 goals in 1950 and also scored 102 in 1951 of a career total of 555 goals

SECOND SEMI FINAL
NW 2-4...6-6...10-8...13-10
GL 5-1....8-4.....11-4..13-5
Churchett kicked 6 goals

PRELIM FINAL
GL 3-3...9-5...10-7...15-8
PA 3-2...5-5....6-5.....8-6
Churchett kicked 7 goals ?

Colin Churchett had scored almost half of GLs goals so he had to be a concern for the Norwood team
Ray Hunt was a concern at full back , mentioned in RIGs post as to how good he was
NWs regular full forward Mayo started up the ground
Way started at full forward on Hunt
Oatey instructed Way to move away from the goal front and take Hunt out of the game and away from the play
This tactic was devised by Jack Oatey who has stated post GF that Hunt was a brilliant attacking defender
The plan was for the forward pocket Peter Dalwood to act as the full forward

This is what Stan Wickham had to say about the tactic
" All over in 10 seconds, Marriot to Oatey to Olds to Dalwood, Im still straightening up my jock strap."

Peter Marker added
" Jack Oatey always had a plan and he knew you were going to adjust your jock strap at that time."

1950 GF
NW 7-5...8-6...12-9...15-16
GL 2-2....5-5.....6-7.....8-11
That first goal from a tactic that worked started a great first term in the GF that almost ended the game at 1/4 time
GL outscored NW in the 2nd qtr
Jack Oatey the concocter of many a tactic is said to have played well as a loose man in defence in the 2nd qtr
Churchett scored 1 goal
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Fri May 22, 2020 10:45 pm

Spargo
Did your grand father come on at all in this match ?
mal
Coach

Postby Magellan » Sat May 23, 2020 6:28 am

robranisgod wrote:
Magellan wrote:

RD 1
WD 10-8
GL 26-12
ST 12-17
NA 15-16

1969 Marker losing GF
1970 Marker losing GF
1971 Robran winning GF
1972 Robran winning GF

However

No, Mal is correct. Marker often mentioned over the years that he drove to see Barrie Robran's first game after playing Reserves at Woodville. Even in the week after the 1973 Grand Final he mentioned that it was ironic that he grew up being a passionate North fan because that was the team his father supported and watched and took Peter to.
He also said he supported North up until the day he first played against them in about Round 8 that year. He never explained what caused the change but it would be hard to support the opposition.
Having said that I know of one Glenelg player of that era who supported Norwood throughout the whole of his league career!!!
A little later on Paul Weston, too, also grew up as a North Adelaide supporter.

Thanks guys, and apologies mal. Happy to be corrected by the experts.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Spargo » Sat May 23, 2020 11:33 am

mal wrote:Spargo
Did your grand father come on at all in this match ?

As far as I know he did, yes.
He wore no 29.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mal » Sat May 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Heres a bit more from the Marker/Campbell/Oatey/Wickham TV segment

Wickham: " That was an art Jack had as being the creator of the handball game and also the inventor of the checkside punt."
Oatey : How many handballs did we use in 1950?"
Campbell: About 35 I reckon."
Oatey: " No not as many as that."
Wickham: " 14 A game and that was just to get out of trouble."

A bit later

Campbell:" No such thing as a drop punt those days."
Oatey : "Yes I used to do left foot drop punts."

From that discussion we can see how innovative Jack Oatey was
Jack Oatey , particularly at Sturt, made handball a more attacking option rather than a defensive action in his coaching
He probably needed to devise a tactic/tactics to over ride PAs dominance over ST in the early to mid sixties

Football continues to evolve, masterfull men like Jack Oatey speed up the process
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Mon May 25, 2020 1:44 pm

More from the Marker/Campbell/Oatey/Wickham interviews

JACK OATEY
Jack was asked if Norwood was his first love
Oatey : "I was a country boy and all I wanted to do is come down and play in the big time of course and I didnt care who I played for ."

As a teenager Jack Oatey tried out at Port Adelaide , but might not have quite been ready, and went back bush to play football
He won the MAiL Medal , and eventually ended up at Norwood
Had Jack Oatey played for Port Adelaide the dynamics of SANFL football history goes haywire
Can we imagine someone like Russell Ebert kicking check side goals

GOAL UMPIRING 1950 GF
The other thing I noticed in the 1950 video was the goal umpire or both goal umpires
The flags were not on the goalposts , both flags were stuck in the Adelaide Oval turf
Whenever there was a score the umpire would pull out the flag/flags, wave them then shove them back in the turf

THE GAME [the boys are watching the video and commenting]
Oatey : "Max Mayo he was the full forward all year and as I say we put him to CHF in the GF because of Ray Hunt."
Wickham : " Don Taylor going for the ball then, Don Taylors memory of it was he had to stand Max Mayo and Mayo ran him all round the game, he says my tongue was hanging that far out, I decided to keep kicking it to the road."

I think what Stan Wickman was saying is that Don Taylor would deliberately kick the ball out of bounds to get his breath back
I reckon it started in the 1960s that excellent rule of out on the full = free kick rule came into being
These days its the last kick rule for any out of bounds

Stan Wickham had this to say about Gls Johnny Taylor
" Great guy Johnny Taylor, I'd have walked through a brick wall for him."
To me that would suggest that Johnny Taylor was an inspirational individual

AFTER THE GAME
On the video in the change rooms you can see the following
GLs Johnny Taylor call for 3 cheers and shake Jack Oateys hand
The GL player with a cigarette in his mouth is Ray Hunt
Jack Oatey in his jocks !!!

I must add I cant recall Jack Oatey on too many TV segments or TV shows
I can remember players like Paul Mr Magic Bagshaw, John Halbert, Bob Shearman Brenton Miels and Rick Jumbo Prince Davies appearing on TV
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Tue May 26, 2020 8:57 pm

Johnny Taylor must have been a decent footballer
He was the captain coach of GL in the 1950 Grand Final
He played 258 games for WA + GL
At the time of his retirement in 1952 that 258 games was a record for most games played in the SANFL
The first player to surpass those 258 games in the SANFL was Lindsay Head

Relatively speaking
Johnny Taylor had 2 brothers Laurie and Don
All 3 brothers started at West Adelaide
Laurie [RI]and Don[SM] played VFL football
The brothers once played each other in a VFL game when RI played SM
Their father was Johnny Taylor senior who played in the 1914 PA premiership team

The first time I was made aware of the Taylor brothers was by a WA barracker of the times
The barracker, a fine SA sportsman, and mate , changed to barracking for GL when all the bros ended up at GL
He said Johnny Taylor was a star player

After WA 1947 Premiership win, WA lost a lot of players at various times in the next few years
They include :
The 3 Taylor brothers
Jack Broadstock went to WT , and was a keen punter !
Fos Williams to PA, and PA with Williams as coach , ended up knocking off WA in GFs a decade later
Bernie Smith to GE [was the Peter Argent nomination for a BOG in the 47 GF] and won the 1951 Brownlow medal
Merv Agars who retired from the SANFL when he was about 27 to pursue a media career, was also Don Taylors brother in law
Reg Zeuner who went to Perth ran 2nd in the 1956 Sandover Medal to Polly Farmer
Zeuners nephew has always told me that his uncle won a best and fairest for Perth the same year he was born !

That ends up a tremendous amount of talent lost by WA
WA did re generate fairly quickly and played in GFs in the 1950s
When WA moved to Richmond Oavl in 1958, its little wonder what Jeff Pash [Peter Argents BOG nomination in 1949] had to say
He said in the press something like:
*West have now got a new home from where their champions can leave*
Rather prophetic words indeed as a few years later in 1963 , WA once again had an exodus of several star footballers
mal
Coach

Postby RB » Tue May 26, 2020 10:11 pm

mal wrote:Johnny Taylor must have been a decent footballer
At the time of his retirement in 1952 that 258 games was a record for most games played in the SANFL

I think Taylor was the first to 200 SANFL games, and then the first to 250.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby robranisgod » Tue May 26, 2020 10:52 pm

RB wrote:
mal wrote:Johnny Taylor must have been a decent footballer

I think Taylor was the first to 200 SANFL games, and then the first to 250.

He was the first to 250 games and he held the record for the most games until Lindsay Head broke it.

The SANFL website quotes Taylor as being first to 200 but as usual they are inaccurate. I don't know who does their stats but at the risk of offending someone here, they are appalling. It may well be a typo, and they meant to put he was the first to 250 games. So is their Hall of Fame selections but don't start me on that.

Jack Tredrea of South Adelaide was the first player to play 200 league games. He played for South from 1903 to 1922 and played a total of 220 games (he also played 29 State games)

Frank Golding of Sturt was the next to 200 games I think. He played from 1909 until 1927 and played 207 games. Frank died about the time of the 1966 Sturt premiership, I can't remember if he lived to see it. Prior to him coming to Sturt he had played for West Perth for 2 years where he played 30 games.

Ken Farmer certainly also played 200 games before Johnny Taylor. He retired in 1941 having played 224 games for North.

Blue Johnston may have beaten Farmer to 200 games, he played 203 games and finished in 1940.

We have mentioned before that surprisingly Teddy Whelan was Port's first 200 game player and that would have been roughly in 1960 and I think that Dougie Olds was Norwood's first 200 game player so he would have achieved that around about 1956 or 1957.

Also I think that Bob Hank would have just pipped Alf Roberts as Torrens first 200 game player but it would have been a photo finish,
robranisgod
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum