COVID Travel

Holidays, where, to go, how to get there, travel stories.

COVID Travel

Postby Booney » Mon May 25, 2020 10:09 am

So what is everyone's thoughts on travel in the next 3-5 years?

Mrs Boon and myself have put together a short list of places to visit / things to do in the next few years with some friends or on our own.

Short term :
2-3 years

Port Lincoln - Just the two of us
Flinders Ranges - Just the two of us
House boat - With friends
Kangaroo Island - With the two junior Boon's or friends

Medium term :
3-5 years

New Zealand
Tasmania
North West WA
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: COVID Travel

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 25, 2020 10:13 am

Booney wrote:So what is everyone's thoughts on travel in the next 3-5 years?

This really is an ideal time for people to go back to being tourists in our own country.. get out support local business, see the sites around the place that you might normally neglect in favour of some overseas trip.

People carry on all the time about making Australia better, owning our own future etc, well starting by visiting local places is a pretty good start.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon May 25, 2020 10:16 am

I am still hopeful of getting back over to NZ this year for work, and even SEA at a stretch, although I think it will be 2021 before that happens.

Actually a trip back to SA would be nice, to see my son!

Our (Mrs C & I) next holiday plans was Hawaii..... that's been held off in abeyance until we buy a property in Melbourne, then see how finances look.

We have a property in our sights now, so perhaps a 2021 trip will work also.

In terms of regional Victoria. Reckon I've seen most of it other than the far east - Bairnsdale/Mallacoota regions. Never been super high on the list though....
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Mon May 25, 2020 10:18 am

The Bedge wrote:

This really is an ideal time for people to go back to being tourists in our own country.. get out support local business, see the sites around the place that you might normally neglect in favour of some overseas trip.

People carry on all the time about making Australia better, owning our own future etc, well starting by visiting local places is a pretty good start.

Absolutely and by supporting / visiting those regions you drive the price down as competition for places heats up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon May 25, 2020 10:34 am

Corona Man wrote:I am still hopeful of getting back over to NZ this year for work, and even SEA at a stretch, although I think it will be 2021 before that happens.

Actually a trip back to SA would be nice, to see my son!

Our (Mrs C & I) next holiday plans was Hawaii..... that's been held off in abeyance until we buy a property in Melbourne, then see how finances look.

We have a property in our sights now, so perhaps a 2021 trip will work also.

In terms of regional Victoria. Reckon I've seen most of it other than the far east - Bairnsdale/Mallacoota regions. Never been super high on the list though....

If you go past them you get to Eden and Merimbula, they're a couple of nice spots. There are a coupla oyster leases over that way too so you can get some freshies
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 25, 2020 10:40 am

Mrs Boon and myself have put together a short list of places to visit / things to do in the next few years with some friends or on our own.

Short term :
2-3 years

Medium term :
3-5 years

New Zealand
Tasmania
North West WA

Pretty similar to ours, we are potentially looking at the Eyre Peninsula in July, especially if its confirmed that there is no international travel in December for our booked Bali trip. KI is on the agenda also.

New Zealand has been a goal of mine for a long time, the wife always wanted to do a cruise there while Ive always seen it as a driving holiday, I think Ill win this one now. :D
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:49 am

Dutchy wrote:

Short term :
2-3 years

Medium term :
3-5 years

New Zealand
Tasmania
North West WA

Pretty similar to ours, we are potentially looking at the Eyre Peninsula in July, especially if its confirmed that there is no international travel in December for our booked Bali trip. KI is on the agenda also.

New Zealand has been a goal of mine for a long time, the wife always wanted to do a cruise there while Ive always seen it as a driving holiday, I think Ill win this one now. :D
NZ is the easiest place to drive and you see so much more driving
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 am

At this stage we still have flights to Singapore in October and return mid November booked as part of our planned trip to the US which for obvious reasons won’t go ahead. If our flights stick we will look to see what areas in Asia, the ME or Europe are ok to travel to and head there and flights will be decently priced ex Singapore. If the flights get canned we would look at heading to NZ for 4-5 weeks with a week in the SP somewhere on the way back. Failing that I’ll hand back some of my holidays and spend a couple of weeks in Australia somewhere and then go to Europe or the US for 2 months next year
Jim05
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:58 am

Jim05 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Short term :
2-3 years

Medium term :
3-5 years

New Zealand
Tasmania
North West WA

Only negative is the price of fuel in NZ. Back in January pre Covid it was $2.60 a litre on the West Coast. Basically double what we pay here.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 25, 2020 11:01 am

I'm still aiming for Europe next year otherwise we will probably put our saved money towards a new car.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:01 am

heater31 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Short term :
2-3 years

Medium term :
3-5 years

New Zealand
Tasmania
North West WA

Only negative is the price of fuel in NZ. Back in January pre Covid it was $2.60 a litre on the West Coast. Basically double what we pay here.
Yeah we were paying $2.40 for Diesel at Christchurch in October and it went as high as $2.89 over on the West Coast.
When we went to Auckland in January is was a bit cheaper.
Found a lot of other things far cheaper so I guess it balances out
Jim05
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:53 am

Jim05 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:[quote="Booney"]So what is everyone's thoughts on travel in the next 3-5 years?

Short term :
2-3 years

Medium term :
3-5 years

New Zealand
Tasmania
North West WA

Yeah we were paying $2.40 for Diesel at Christchurch in October and it went as high as $2.89 over on the West Coast.
When we went to Auckland in January is was a bit cheaper.
Found a lot of other things far cheaper so I guess it balances out[/quote]Other than fuel we found most things about the same. Milk was way more expensive than I thought it would be too despite NZ having one the biggest Milk conglomerates in the world based there and almost every farm's livestock is cows.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Psyber » Mon May 25, 2020 12:53 pm

Australian travel only for the time being, and I plan to be careful about NSW and Victoria both of which appear a bit under-cautious to me.

Later, driving in NZ may be worth a look at - cruises are out for some time from my point of view. Longer term, some healthy Pacific destinations may be an option. Not going near the US, UK, or Europe, for the forseeable future.

Options may widen up if a reliable vaccination is developed.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 25, 2020 5:33 pm

Actually I've been thinking about this a bit further today thanks to this topic. Might run past the missus going up to Port Douglas later this year after footy season finishes.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Tue May 26, 2020 12:30 pm

Please keep Clare in mind when thinking of weekend getaways.

We have now just lost our Target store as well so even more jobs in the community gone.

If you ever want any tips, advice recommendations drop me a message. I can probably organise a few little discounts/perks along the way as well.

If you haven't been to Clare before its stunning, i commonly refer to it as a boutique Barossa.

I would be more than happy to put together the ultimate wine tour inteniary for you.

https://bukirk.com.au/

https://www.sevenhillhotel.com.au/

https://mintaromaze.com.au/

https://www.pikeswines.com.au/

https://www.olearywalkerwines.com/

https://mrmick.com.au/

https://www.claregolfclub.com.au/

http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/tr ... ing-trail/
Last edited by whufc on Tue May 26, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 26, 2020 12:34 pm

Deal with a few businesses in Victor and it has gone nuts the last few weekends, some recording better weekends than in summer, its obviously the choice Sunday drive destination atm.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby JK » Tue May 26, 2020 2:36 pm

whufc wrote:Please keep Clare in mind when thinking of weekend getaways.

We have now just lost our Target store as well so even more jobs in the community gone.

If you ever want any tips, advice recommendations drop me a message. I can probably organise a few little discounts/perks along the way as well.

If you haven't been to Clare before its stunning, i commonly refer to it as a boutique Barossa.

I would be more than happy to put together the ultimate wine tour inteniary for you.

https://bukirk.com.au/

https://www.sevenhillhotel.com.au/

https://mintaromaze.com.au/

https://www.pikeswines.com.au/

https://www.olearywalkerwines.com/

https://mrmick.com.au/

https://www.claregolfclub.com.au/

http://www.southaustraliantrails.com/tr ... ing-trail/

Top place Clare .. Been there a few times for work conferences then always booked a few days leave to hang around a bit longer. Great part of the world.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue May 26, 2020 4:03 pm

Just been looking at some preliminary budgets for 3 couples to either go to Kangaroo Island for 5 nights or do 4 nights mid week on a house boat out of Morgan. Wonder why people don't go to KI! Bloody hell.

In short :

House boat (8 berth for 6 people) - $1900 for 4 nights (total - $600 per couple ) allow $300-400 per couple for food and drinks, no real need for spending money on board, throw in a tank of fuel to Morgan and back, maybe one pub meal = $1300-1500 per couple tops.

Kangaroo Island - $98 per person return on ferry, $198 per car return ( $400 per couple ), 5 nights at $150 per night accommodation ( $750 per couple ), 2 tanks of fuel ( $150 ), $150-200 per day spending food + drink ( $1000 ) = $2300-2500 per couple.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Tue May 26, 2020 4:37 pm

Booney wrote:Just been looking at some preliminary budgets for 3 couples to either go to Kangaroo Island for 5 nights or do 4 nights mid week on a house boat out of Morgan. Wonder why people don't go to KI! Bloody hell.

In short :

House boat (8 berth for 6 people) - $1900 for 4 nights (total - $600 per couple ) allow $300-400 per couple for food and drinks, no real need for spending money on board, throw in a tank of fuel to Morgan and back, maybe one pub meal = $1300-1500 per couple tops.

Kangaroo Island - $98 per person return on ferry, $198 per car return ( $400 per couple ), 5 nights at $150 per night accommodation ( $750 per couple ), 2 tanks of fuel ( $150 ), $150-200 per day spending food + drink ( $1000 ) = $2300-2500 per couple.

We went to china for 11 nights which included all flights, breakfasts, nice accommodation and all tours and it cost us $1,800 a couple.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Tue May 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Fancy doing it again?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach