1964 - 1990

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

Re: 1964 - 1990

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Thu May 28, 2020 5:26 pm

Magellan wrote:
RB wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Over the years the F Bomb or other words have been dropped due to the emotion of the game at GF Presentations.

Craig 'Toilet Mouth' Parry in 2011 springs to mind.

Kim Klomp in 1991.

Russell Ebert also dropped the same magic word as Taylor into his post GF speech ('“It's taken us a bloody long time, but by geez it's worth it!”) the year before, but I guess luckily for him and for general public standards of decency it wasn't broadcast live on the telly.

I think that the footage that is available from 1977 I think Russell's speech got a little muffled at about that time in his speech a bit of a clean up by the audio guys for the following day and news reports that night.
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 28, 2020 6:57 pm

mal wrote:
mal wrote:There was another BIG3 of the times
Bay Disco
Peckers Club
Sams

They were nightclubs aligned to the football clubs
Bay Disco[GL] Wednesdays + Sundays
Peckers Club[WDV] Thursdays
Sams [NW]Saturdays

Did any other SANFL football clubs have a nightclub/disco set up ?
Was there a connection with the Reepham Hotel and NA ?

Thanks posters for the BIG4 explanations

It all comes back to me now
NA did run a Roosters Disco at the Reepham Hotel
I can recall going a few times on Sunday nights in the early 80s
There used to be a few NA players that rolled up , and I think the players might have even been responsible for running the disco

Doc has confirmed that SA had the Panthers disco

So there was at least BIG5 for nightclubs

If I had to pick the best one, the Bay Disco gets my vote

I didn't even know the Reepham held a big disco in years gone by till I started drinking there, hard to imagine as its such a dive.
Bay Disco got my vote too, used to love the place, even preferred it to Lennies.
Went to Sams a couple of times but it wasn't as good as the Bay.

I just remember 1975, my mum took me to Norwood Oval that night and I remember a huge celebration and people everywhere, all I could see were Legs (no pun intended).
In 1976 my Grade 2 teacher at Camden Park Primary offered everyone a Bays sticker if they would barrack for Glenelg. Stickers were a pretty big thing in those days and every kid relented and took one except for me.
The thing I remember most about 78 was I kept a Bank of Adelaide poster where you'd put a sticker of the winner of each game and I ran out of Sturt stickers because they won by so many.
When I went to Mitchell Park High School in the 80s, we had over 1000 kids at our school. I never considered North a big team even though I followed them as there was only 4 North supporters in the entire school. Everyone followed a team in those days and about half the school followed Glenelg (Robyn Kidney made his debut for Glenelg while still at Mitchell Park High), Port had quite a few supporters, Norwood had a few, Sturt a few, about a dozen South and maybe 1 West supporter and no Torrens, Central or Woodville supporters.
85 and 86 was pretty hard on me, but 87 was awesome. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mal » Thu May 28, 2020 8:17 pm

1990 RESERVES PRELIM FINAL
WT...0-2...4-3...11-9....20-12
GL...6-3...13-6..17-6....19-7

GL were 57 points up at half time and lost by 11 points
GL led by close to 12 goals in the 3rd quarter and still 33 points up at 3/4 time
This surely is one of the greatest comebacks in SANFL reserves football

WT BEST + LEADING GOALSCORERS
Sommerville , Meade, Wormald , Geyer , Berggren , Harper
5 Harper
4 Sommerville
4 Niemann
4 Hill

GL BEST + LEADING GOALSCORERS
Liptak , Bromilow, Maynard , Mcintosh , Battisson
3 Ellis
3 Rouvray
3 Liptak

Spare a thought for Matthew Liptak
Matthew Liptak played for GL when they lost to PA in the SANFL league GF following week

PA beat NA in the Prelim Final in the main game
Did anyone see this game or perhaps the latter part of this reserves game ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 903 times

Postby Magellan » Thu May 28, 2020 10:32 pm

mal wrote:1990 RESERVES PRELIM FINAL

GL led by close to 12 goals in the 3rd quarter and still 33 points up at 3/4 time

5 Harper
4 Sommerville
4 Niemann
4 Hill

3 Ellis
3 Rouvray
3 Liptak

Matthew Liptak played for GL when they lost to PA in the SANFL league GF following week

I saw at least the last quarter, all I remember is everyone in the crowd getting behind the Eagles as they ran the Bays down.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 28, 2020 11:21 pm

Yeah I reckon I got there in the last quarter too, I remember everyone going for the Eags.
We sat in the North Western pocket under the little scoreboard, was 95% Port.
I remember that game well because I was lucky to get out alive after Darren Jarman took out a Port player under a hospital ball (should have got 6 weeks!) when Port had already won the game and the Port crowd went ballistic. There was a lull in the noise and I stood up clapping my hands above my head and screamed "Top tackle DJ!". The ex saw the looks on a few thousand Port supporters and thought we were going to die.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Magellan » Fri May 29, 2020 8:37 am

Wedgie wrote:Yeah I reckon I got there in the last quarter too, I remember everyone going for the Eags.
I remember that game well because I was lucky to get out alive after Darren Jarman took out a Port player under a hospital ball (should have got 6 weeks!) when Port had already won the game and the Port crowd went ballistic. There was a lull in the noise and I stood up clapping my hands above my head and screamed "Top tackle DJ!". The ex saw the looks on a few thousand Port supporters and thought we were going to die.

IIRC he kicked the first goal in about 30 seconds playing at full forward (having scored nine in three quarters the week before), and then Port scored something like the next ten. Hodges also kicked 13, not a bad day out.
Last edited by Magellan on Sat May 30, 2020 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri May 29, 2020 8:40 am

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:1975- This is one and 77 & 90 they should have one. Best SANFL side ever to hit the ground stats wise . Nothing went right Grand Final Day

Kerley moving Butch Phillis off of Ross Dillon at three-quarter time didn't help.

Yes id did :D :D

Just back on this (sorry FE!), I’d say another significant factor in Norwood’s victory was Fred Phillis’ six behinds.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Spargo » Fri May 29, 2020 8:48 am

Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:1975- This is one and 77 & 90 they should have one. Best SANFL side ever to hit the ground stats wise . Nothing went right Grand Final Day

Kerley moving Butch Phillis off of Ross Dillon at three-quarter time didn't help.

Just back on this (sorry FE!), I’d say another significant factor in Norwood’s victory was Fred Phillis’ six behinds.

Arguably the most significant factor.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Fri May 29, 2020 10:30 am

Wedgie wrote:Yeah I reckon I got there in the last quarter too, I remember everyone going for the Eags.

I watched the game as a neutral, but with a coupla Port mates, further down in front of the North cheer squad. When walking out some North cheer squad bloke seemed to take a dislike toward me (not sure why, I was neutral like I said, maybe he was just taking out his frustrations) so we exchanged a few words and things might have been about to get interesting, when his face dropped a bit. I turned around to see what was happening and there must have been 50-100 Port supporters behind me that were keen to get involved. Nothing came of it all, but gave our group a bit of a chuckle. The game was a fair rout but that didn’t discourage the cheer squad who had plenty to offer about Hodges and Weber, think that might have got just a few Port fans offside lol.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Fri May 29, 2020 10:37 am

mal wrote:If I was framing a bookies market on NWs Grand Finals in this period

1975 GL 1-40 NW 2-80
1978 ST 1-80 NW 2-10
1980 PA 1-05 NW 17-00
1982 GL 5-00 NW 1-20
1984 PA 1-70 NW 2-30

Going by my odds, and opinion I had NW winning 1-4 and it ended up 4-1 instead
NW played very well on the day in each and every GF
Arguably the losing GF in 1980 was perhaps their best performance against a PA team I considered almost invincible

The one GF that I had thought NW had a better chance than the percepted views of the times was the 1978 Grand Final
These were the line ups

STURT
1 HOWARD
3 WINTER
4 SIMS
6 BURGAN
8 BAGSHAW
9 HEINRICH
12 LEONARD
14 REED
15 WARK
19 GRAHAM
20 CASEY
21 SANDERS
22 KLOMP
24 DAVIES
26 HARGREAVES
28 BARTON
30 LLOYD
32 CECE
34 WISEMAN
36 DOWNES
37 WEATHERALD
39 MUTTON

NORWOOD
3 JENKINS
5 STASINOWSKI
6 ARMOUR
7 CRAIG
10 WOODCOCK
11 GALLAGHER
12 NICHOLSON
14 FIENEMANN
15 ADAMSON
16 ADLER
17 TURBILL
19 PALM
20 VONBERTOUCH
21 ROSSER
25 KERLEY
27 OLSEN
28 WYNNE
29 TAYLOR
30 BUTTON
31 MICHALANNEY
32 NUNAN
38 PHILLIS

In my opinion
ST had the best 2 footballers in this match Rick Jumbo Prince Davies and Paul Mr Magic Bagshaw
Possibly the 3rd best player in this game if one thinks that Michael Flash Graham was better than Michael Kingo Taylor
I think they were the best 4 players in the match , there are others who could be considered in a 3rd-10th best player in this match
Looking back at the teams I think Norwood had more depth and a more even team
I think as a group after each teams top 10 best players , that NW had better players from about 11th best player onwards

Another way of looking at the depth factor
I counted 15 NW players who would make STs team
I counted 9 ST players who would make NWs team

I still thought ST would win because Jumbo Baggy and Flash would win it for them
But on the day I had thought stop or contain those champs and NW could win

ST 14--26
NW 16-15

My opinion would have been so so wrong had ST taken kicked straight
ST should have been up by 8-10 goals at 3/4 time
I might get gagged for this, but I think the wrong team won this game

In 78’ I think Norwood probably only had a few things going for them, and arguably all were within Sturts control:

- Sturts inaccuracy (as everyone’s said over the years the game should have been over at 1/4 time)
- Sturt electing to play a trial game that saw Hardeman lost through injury - Dont think Adamson’s kicking anywhere near 5 goals if GH plays
- Fitness level (refer the first point, Norwood should have been so far behind that fitness levels shouldn’t have mattered)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Fri May 29, 2020 10:43 am

JK wrote:Sturt electing to play a trial game that saw Hardeman lost through injury - Dont think Adamson’s kicking anywhere near 5 goals if GH plays

It still baffles me why Sturt chose to play this game. Interestingly, both sides that participated lost the GF having been minor premiers (North Melbourne only on percentage, mind you).
Magellan
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri May 29, 2020 11:58 am

Magellan wrote:

5 Harper
4 Sommerville
4 Niemann
4 Hill

3 Ellis
3 Rouvray
3 Liptak

I saw at least the last quarter, all I remember is everyone in the crowd getting behind the Eagles as they ran the Bays down.

Yeah, I was there for the last half or so.
Memory is a bit hazy, but there was something else about the Reserves finals series that year. Were Glenelg up against Port a similar amount the week before in the Second Semi? Or Torrens that far behind in the GF against Port? Or did the Glenelg thing happen and Torrens also came from 5-6 goals down in the GF?
I do remember one of the Port players, maybe a Wakelin nut not one of the twins, going past the ball and KO-ing a Torrens player on the NE edge of the square as Torrens were gaining momentum in the game and that really got the crowd behind them.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Magellan » Fri May 29, 2020 12:58 pm

5 Harper
4 Sommerville
4 Niemann
4 Hill

3 Ellis
3 Rouvray
3 Liptak

Just on big reserves finals comebacks (yes, it's a very niche area of SANFL knowledge), I seem to recall in 1987 that Woodville, who ultimately went on to win the reserves flag that year, were something like 10 goals down at quarter time in the elimination final and got up. I think John Reid, who later coached South and then did various odd-jobs at the Crows, was their coach. Can anyone confirm?
Magellan
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri May 29, 2020 1:19 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Memory is a bit hazy, but there was something else about the Reserves finals series that year. Were Glenelg up against Port a similar amount the week before in the Second Semi? Or Torrens that far behind in the GF against Port? Or did the Glenelg thing happen and Torrens also came from 5-6 goals down in the GF?
I do remember one of the Port players, maybe a Wakelin nut not one of the twins, going past the ball and KO-ing a Torrens player on the NE edge of the square as Torrens were gaining momentum in the game and that really got the crowd behind them.

Bays Minor Premiers that year in the twos

Both finals up by plenty at the half, then lose them.

Port did the usual, getting thrashed in the 2nd qtr of the 2nd Semi, nek minit Michael Barton (#38) is on a stretcher and in Disney land for the week (he missed the Prelim)

So we played with basically 19 for the last half.

However no matter what we shouldn't have lost either of those finals from where we were at half time.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri May 29, 2020 2:14 pm

am Bays wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

Bays Minor Premiers that year in the twos

Both finals up by plenty at the half, then lose them.

Port did the usual, getting thrashed in the 2nd qtr of the 2nd Semi, nek minit Michael Barton (#38) is on a stretcher and in Disney land for the week (he missed the Prelim)

So we played with basically 19 for the last half.

However no matter what we shouldn't have lost either of those finals from where we were at half time.

Yeah, don't remember the Barton incident, perhaps I wasn't there by then.

I do remember the league game, it felt the Bays were in control all day, but I doubt many supporters would have thought that.

Oh, and didn't mean to say Wakelin nut, typo. I forget his name, not sure if it was Michael who went on to Centrals, or another.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri May 29, 2020 2:17 pm

While talking about Reserves finals, Woodville and Norwood played each other a few times in the mid-80's, a couple of GF's too.
Does anyone have the scores of those games? Was there one game when Norwood's accuracy was utterly ridiculous, going from something like 6.6 to 28.6 before they missed again?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Spargo » Fri May 29, 2020 2:27 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:While talking about Reserves finals, Woodville and Norwood played each other a few times in the mid-80's, a couple of GF's too.
Does anyone have the scores of those games? Was there one game when Norwood's accuracy was utterly ridiculous, going from something like 6.6 to 28.6 before they missed again?

Reckon that was ‘86
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mal » Fri May 29, 2020 9:34 pm

JK wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Of all the Grand Finals that Glenelg played they should have won more with the talent they had.

1975- This is one and 77 & 90 they should have one. Best SANFL side ever to hit the ground stats wise . Nothing went right Grand Final Day

75' must have been an interesting year ... Before my time but I believe Norwood only lost around 2 games for the year but were fairly decent underdogs for the GF'? (Not trying to be a smartass FE, but) would there be many other seasons where a side with such a W/L record was considered a reasonable underdog in the GF?

Heres one for you JK
Under 19 Grand Final 1990
PA V NW
PA had lost 1 match for the season and had a drawn game as well
NW had to win the Premiership from the Elimination final
Judging by the minor round finish PA would prob have been a red hot fav to win this match ?

PA 4-0....7-1....8-6...11-10
NW 1-2...5-8...9-12..15-16

NW
Prouse, King, Thompson, Bowman, Patterson, Dobie
4 Laing
3 Dobie
3 Patterson

PA
Berry , Warton, Buckley,Nield, Bond, Stringer, Miller
3 Buckley
2 Bond

Heres a report from this GF
Damien Prouse at CHB for the redlegs was in total control of the U19 GF. The further the game went the more he became impassable.
Michael King showed why he won the Tomkins Medal. His pace and movement were superior to all around him. His pace highlighted a fact that became obvious very early in the game- NW was much quicker than PA
Early Ports Brett Chalmers with strong marking and accurate kicking and with support from the slick and elusive McCullum medalist Troy Bond put on 7 straight goals.
At the other end the redlegs struggled. They had plenty of the ball but their finishing off was poor. PA defenders Karl Crombie and Bradley Rainsford put up strong opposition. Tim Marbey and Michael Warton worked hard but even at half time and leading by 5 points they looked in trouble.
Michael Thompson and Lahlan Bowman rucked well while Stephen Patterson roved excitingly. All though Michael Wakelin caused the redlegs some concern in the last quarter, the final siren saw the red and blues win the cup
Both coaches have seen plenty of grand finals and have had long and distinguished coaching careers with their respective clubs.
MALcolm Maiden[PA] and Frank Leonard [NW] should be highly commended for the way their teams played the game
Norwoods performance was even more meritorious considering it was in 6th place after round 11. While most teams were getting players back they kept losing players like Damien Mellow, Johnathon Ross and Michael Oleary

Frank Leonard, Norwoods coach, played football at WA
Does anyone know anything of Ports coach MALcolm Maiden ?

Some BIG names played in that game including current Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley
Stephen Patterson played for Collingwood as well in the AFL , became a Mayor of the Holdfast Council , and now is the Liberal Member for the State seat of Morphett
Brett Chalmers is the father of Gold Medalist Kyle Chalmers
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Sat May 30, 2020 2:04 am

Magellan wrote:
JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Before I post what happened that day
I will add that Fred Phillis was one of my very favorite GL players

I watched the game behind the goals in that 75 GF
Fred was wearing flashy boots that day, from memory a bright yellow pair of togs
I yelled out a few times
" You cant kick kick goals wearing your mother slippers."

I was only a teenager, if you read this Fred, Ive matured since than, and apologize
mal
Coach

Postby stampy » Sun May 31, 2020 9:27 pm

Magellan wrote:

dillon hadnt had a sniff up until 3qtr time, colin anderson was on him in the last and dillon cut loose, kerley cost us that flag more than fred did
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum