AFL 2020 Season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2020 Season

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 29, 2020 10:43 am

Thoughts on the artificial crowd noise on the NRL last night? I thought I wouldn't like it but it is very suttle and thought it was a good addition and gets rid of the echoing in an empty stadium.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Fri May 29, 2020 11:50 am

Gotta admit, had my 8 home team multi to keep an interest & settled down on the couch for some live non racing sport.
Lasted all of 3 minutes, appreciate that people really enjoy league but I find it mind numbingly boring.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:55 am

Dutchy wrote:Thoughts on the artificial crowd noise on the NRL last night? I thought I wouldn't like it but it is very suttle and thought it was a good addition and gets rid of the echoing in an empty stadium.
I didn’t mind it.
Was strange hearing us get cheered at Lang Park though [emoji23]
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Bedge » Fri May 29, 2020 1:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:Thoughts on the artificial crowd noise on the NRL last night? I thought I wouldn't like it but it is very suttle and thought it was a good addition and gets rid of the echoing in an empty stadium.

I'm still torn.. didn't mind it and seemed quite "normal" at times, but I think the fact I knew it was fake played on my mind a little haha!

At times reminded me playing a game and having that crowd noise in the background.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby DOC » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:51 am

Momentum is building towards the creation of a new 14-team AFL eastern seaboard reserves competition that would potentially replace the VFL and NEAFL, according to club chiefs.

A new league tying the four clubs in Queensland and New South Wales with the 10 Victorian clubs that would serve as a reserves development competition was shaping as a viable alternative to the problems of the existing second-tier format, according to Swans chief executive Tom Harley.

This 14-team eastern seaboard option would have the Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns play one another more often than the other teams, and likewise GWS and the Swans would play each other more regularly than they would play other teams, in order to maximise cost-savings.

The effect of this unequal fixturing would mean the competition would be structured as a development league and not focused on producing a premiership-winning reserves team.

With a return to play established, the focus has switched to urgent decisions needed on the size of the salary cap, the size and structure of playing lists, draft picks as well as the soft cap on football spending and the second tier competition.

“There is a whole cascading list of pieces of work that are interconnected and need to be done pretty quickly,” Harley said.

“You need to establish the list size before knowing the salary cap and the second tier competition the soft cap, each decision is interconnected and has a cascading effect.

“We are in June and the end of the football year is October so these are critical issues that need to be considered pretty quickly as we begin trying to draft budgets.

“The idea of an eastern seaboard AFL reserves competition is gaining momentum.

“The concept is to develop a culture of winning and competing. If it’s a 14-team competition and we play GWS more often and Gold Coast and Brisbane play each other more often it distorts the fixturing and the integrity of the fixture. The key issues to address are how to develop players and will it be affordable?

“You would have to change the focus of the league to being about development of players and feeding the AFL competition.”

Gold Coast CEO Mark Evans agreed saying critical work needed to be done before a definitive decision could be made on the second tier.

“Certainly it’s possible the four teams could join an eastern seaboard reserves competition,” Evans said.

“We need to make sure the lists of the (four northern states) clubs have the same opportunity to be strong as the Victorian lists do.

“What do we want from a league? Is it for state league clubs to chase a premiership with older players through the system? Or a development league that caters for future draft prospects who miss out because of smaller lists and fewer players taken at the drafts, and gives reserves players at AFL clubs a chance at senior footy?

“If it was billed as a development league then it would make more sense for us (in Queensland and NSW) to play each other more regularly.”

Brisbane CEO Greg Swann also raised the idea of a 14-team Eastern Seaboard reserves competition as a viable proposition in a Fox Footy interview on Saturday.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby beef » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Lenny Hayes inducted into the hall of fame
John Kennedy Sr elevated to legend
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:32 pm

beef wrote:Lenny Hayes inducted into the hall of fame

Are players from competitions outside VFL/AFL eligible for legend status?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby beef » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:46 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Yes. Think Barrie Robran is a legend. Others like Blight obviously also played vfl.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

AFL 2020 Season

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:10 am

beef wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Yes. Think Barrie Robran is a legend. Others like Blight obviously also played vfl.
I thought Russell Ebert might have been elevated to legend status
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:35 am

Bloody horrible I reckon. Titans v Cowboys and the Cowboys are smashing the Titans and the 'crowd' is carrying on like it's golden point time in an Origin decider. Ridiculous. Gives you a headache watching 'super saturday'.

Then there are the special touches that are missing......Latrell does a big arse fumble and the Roosters get the ball. Next time Latrell takes the ball...where were the Bronxys ffs? You can't manufacture atmosphere. I would rather hear the voices of the players and the THUD of the hits...especially in league. Can you imagine a showdown without the uninformed BALLLLLL!!! chants? And will the AFL factor in the premature ejaculation of Collingwood supporters with the Collingwood chant that rings around the ground when the Pies are three goals up in the second? And what about the polite applause at Cat park when we get a goal?

It's an arms folded big boo from me. Sorry...Booooooooooooooooo.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:54 am

They're like Macca awards at Auskick, isn't there two each day this week?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:48 pm

Jonathan Brown and Simon Black inducted into the Hall Of Fame tonight
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby LMA » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:54 pm

Brodlach wrote:Jonathan Brown and Simon Black inducted into the Hall Of Fame tonight

Daryl White & Brad Green stiff to miss out.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 am

A couple of interesting additions.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:50 am

LMA wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Jonathan Brown and Simon Black inducted into the Hall Of Fame tonight

Daryl White & Brad Green stiff to miss out.

John Rombotis up for induction this evening.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:03 am

Jeez I loved that Brisbane team back then, best Ive ever seen. Worthy additions.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby David Brent » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:17 am

Dutchy wrote:

Jeez I loved that Brisbane team back then, best Ive ever seen. Worthy additions.

Yep both deserve to be there agree. Black was an absolute superstar, better than Voss IMO
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 am

Dutchy wrote:

Not in the same year though, and on the same night, spread it out a little would've been a better option IMO.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:08 am

Playing devils advocate, is Brown there for his body of work across his career or moments that stood out in his career?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:12 am

JB superstar and I would rarely say that about anyone
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL