AFL 2020 Season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2020 Season

Postby David Brent » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:40 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote: but there's little doubt the 3-peat adds some weight to their higher standing within the game.

.. and the Brownlows?

As long as Shane Woewodin has one it makes it hard to argue their value. :lol:

Ben Marsh & Aaron Keating have premiership medals so you could argue that value too :)
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby beef » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:03 pm

Dean Cox next in. Agreed with Judds opening comment, changed the game as a ruckman.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby LMA » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 pm

beef wrote:Dean Cox next in. Agreed with Judds opening comment, changed the game as a ruckman.

The rules committee next in then :D
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby LMA » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:25 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Jonathan Brown and Simon Black inducted into the Hall Of Fame tonight

Jeez I loved that Brisbane team back then, best Ive ever seen. Worthy additions.

So you're saying Port beat the best you've ever seen, that must hurt ;)
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 pm

And Greg Phillips

Much deserved
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:36 pm

LMA wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Jonathan Brown and Simon Black inducted into the Hall Of Fame tonight

Jeez I loved that Brisbane team back then, best Ive ever seen. Worthy additions.

Port had a great team back then, Brisbane are the reason they only won 1, thats why I love them even more :D
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 pm

beef wrote:Dean Cox next in. Agreed with Judds opening comment, changed the game as a ruckman.

i went to one of his early games in Canberra when WCE played the Roos, Gardiner was injured and Cox was hopeless, just looked like a startled giraffe. The WCE fans around me absolutely let him have it all day, telling him in no uncertain terms he wasn't worthy of being in Gardiners spot. Have always wondered if they remembered that as he improved and progressed.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:42 pm

Brodlach wrote:And Greg Phillips

Much deserved

100% Fantastic footballer.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:53 pm

Spargo wrote:

Much deserved

Hurts to say that about a Magpie doesn’t it :lol:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:16 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Much deserved

Hurts to say that about a Magpie doesn’t it :lol:

100%
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:06 am

Greg Phillips

Port Adelaide 343 games 93 goals
Collingwood 84 games 12 goals
South Australia 20 games

447 games at senior or representative level.

Port Adelaide premierships (8): 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992; Port Adelaide premiership captain, 1992; Port Adelaide best-and-fairest, 1988; Port Adelaide captain, 1991-1993; Port Adelaide Greatest Team at centre half-back; All-Australian, 1980; Fos Williams Medallist, 1982 v WA at Subiaco Oval; South Australian Football Hall of Fame, 2002 (inaugural inductee).

And an absolute ripping bloke who enjoys pulling a beer as much as he does drinking one. A legend off field in the hey day of the PAFC in the SANFL with his Lighthouse Hotel the stuff of legend in post Grand Final celebrations.

Absolutely deserving of this honour. Onya Kutchie!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby cracka » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:36 am

Booney wrote:Greg Phillips

South Australia 20 games

Port Adelaide premierships (8): 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992; Port Adelaide premiership captain, 1992; Port Adelaide best-and-fairest, 1988; Port Adelaide captain, 1991-1993; Port Adelaide Greatest Team at centre half-back; All-Australian, 1980; Fos Williams Medallist, 1982 v WA at Subiaco Oval; South Australian Football Hall of Fame, 2002 (inaugural inductee).

And an absolute ripping bloke who enjoys pulling a beer as much as he does drinking one. A legend off field in the hey day of the PAFC in the SANFL with his Lighthouse Hotel the stuff of legend in post Grand Final celebrations.

Probably one of the slowest players to ever play footy but could read the play better than anyone
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:31 pm

Booney wrote:Greg Phillips

South Australia 20 games

That's a fantastic record.
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:35 pm

LMA wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

The best team I've ever seen was Hawthorn from about 83-91. No mergers, no father sons, no expansions taking away your opponents draft picks, just the best side in a 'free market' economy. Didn't like them but had to respect them. Looking back 89 hurts more than 08 because if we win that one it might have turned the entire Blight era around. Instead we thought we were close until that team again belted us by 100 points in round 1 in 1990. FFS.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:42 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
The best team I've ever seen was Hawthorn from about 83-91. No mergers, no father sons, no expansions taking away your opponents draft picks, just the best side in a 'free market' economy. Didn't like them but had to respect them. Looking back 89 hurts more than 08 because if we win that one it might have turned the entire Blight era around. Instead we thought we were close until that team again belted us by 100 points in round 1 in 1990. FFS.

regards,

REB

It must of been a fair kick in the jewels when he went to Adelaide 3 years later and wins back to back flags.

He was my football idol, hearing him at quarter time breaks and after matches when he coached Woodville are etched in my head forever, he turned a rabble into a topline side, some of his left-field ideas were sheer brilliance.

After a flogging, the Woodville players were rocking up to training knowing they were about to pummeled for the evening, as they made their way to the changeroom they were greetedone by one by him who told them training will be at the pub, I reckon it was the Findon for memory, they all got on the piss, played some darts and 8 ball, they won that Saturday.

I was a Geelong supporter during his reign.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:49 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

It must of been a fair kick in the jewels when he went to Adelaide 3 years later and wins back to back flags.

He was my football idol, hearing him at quarter time breaks and after matches when he coached Woodville are etched in my head forever, he turned a rabble into a topline side, some of his left-field ideas were sheer brilliance.

After a flogging, the Woodville players were rocking up to training knowing they were about to pummeled for the evening, as they made their way to the changeroom they were greetedone by one by him who told them training will be at the pub, I reckon it was the Findon for memory, they all got on the piss, played some darts and 8 ball, they won that Saturday.

I was a Geelong supporter during his reign.

The 95 Granny loss was the kick in the jewells. We lost to Carlton by 3 points at Optus and Carlton got out to a 91 point lead in the Grand Final before pulling out the deck chairs to win by 61. I knew then it wasn't just Blighty it was us. If any of Blight's Geelong sides got St Kilda without a ruckman we would have saluted for sure. We might have even done over North, especially if they kicked as bad as they did in 98. In the early nineties we had them covered but they went by us in the late nineties.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:02 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
The 95 Granny loss was the kick in the jewells. We lost to Carlton by 3 points at Optus and Carlton got out to a 91 point lead in the Grand Final before pulling out the deck chairs to win by 61. I knew then it wasn't just Blighty it was us. If any of Blight's Geelong sides got St Kilda without a ruckman we would have saluted for sure. We might have even done over North, especially if they kicked as bad as they did in 98. In the early nineties we had them covered but they went by us in the late nineties.

regards,

REB

There was plenty to like during the whole era, Geelong were the blue collared hard nosed side who just went out there and bustled their way through, Hawthorn were polished all round and replaced anyone that retired with someone ready made, they had swagger and guts, a perfect mixture all round.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:58 pm

Rumours of another South Aussie going in tonight, and might be a broadcaster, KG?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:Rumours of another South Aussie going in tonight, and might be a broadcaster, KG?

Is that the hall of fame, or the hall of shame?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:13 pm

https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/st ... res/?cs=81

Culture is a word which gets thrown around a lot at AFL clubs. But in a football context, it's arguably also the most difficult phrase to define.

When teams perform well over a sustained period of several years, culture is inevitably cited as a major reason. When they struggle for as long, the attempted explanations as to why will generally cite the lack of a successful culture. But is that often just a convenient and "sexier" way of describing wins and losses?

Perhaps it's sometimes not even as much about players, coaches and what happens on the field as the particular characteristics of the masses of supporters who follow a club from the grandstands. But certainly, it's a delicate indicator, one which if disrupted or shaken too vigorously, consciously or not, can be a very difficult thing to recover from a previous state.

It's something I've been pondering given events over the last couple of days in the football world. The AFL is this week announcing a series of new inductions to the Australian Football Hall of Fame. And on Monday night came the most important, the elevation of Hawthorn legend John Kennedy senior to official Legend status, just the 29th man to achieve the honour.

It's debatable whether anyone in the game's history has shaped an entire club in his image as Kennedy has the Hawks. Hawthorn was almost a standing joke in the VFL when Kennedy began his playing career in 1950, in 25 seasons since the club's inclusion in the league having only once finished any higher than eighth in a 12-team competition.

Kennedy had a big enough impact as a player, winning four best and fairests and captaining the Hawks to their first finals appearance in 1957. But his imprint as coach, a role he assumed straight away upon retirement in 1959, would be far weightier still.

There was little science about Kennedy's coaching methods. But his instilling of some basic values like courage, commitment and selflessness in his charges, and the inspirational manner in which he was able to communicate those values via his magnificent oratory, are traits from which Hawthorn has never since deviated, and which have served it brilliantly.

Kennedy coached the Hawks to their first premiership in 1961. And to their second and third in 1971 and 1976. And no club can claim anything like the success the Hawks have over the past 50 years, 12 of their 13 flags having come between 1971 and 2015, a strike rate of better than one premiership every four years.

Hawthorn's culture is unmistakable. It resonates through everything the club does. And is passed seamlessly from one generation of Hawks to the next. And those cultural values have also proved easier to maintain because their rewards are tangible, sitting stacked in an ever-burgeoning trophy cabinet.

It's been a lot harder for new clubs in a new football era to deliver on that word culture, particularly those built from nothing and competing against rivals long-established. Which is why comments made this week by arguably Adelaide's greatest player, Andrew McLeod, will have caused those charged with running the Crows now much concern.

McLeod, a dual Norm Smith medallist, dual premiership player and Adelaide's games record holder with 340 appearances, has maintained a close relationship with the club since his retirement in 2010. But that didn't prevent him on a podcast airing some strong reservations about the culture of the club now.

"If you asked me if I felt comfortable walking back into the football club, I'd say no," he said. "For me, it doesn't really have that vibe, it doesn't have that vibe where it feels like you're really welcome there. I've done some work there with my programs and whatnot. But it's not a place that you feel like it embraces you as a past player."

Over 30 seasons since entering the competition in 1991, Adelaide has largely proved adept indeed at maintain a harmonious and successful environment. The Crows reached finals in their third season, and had won two flags by the end of their eighth. They've consistently sat in the top half of the ladder and played in finals more years than they've missed out.

Just three seasons ago, they headed into a grand final clearly the best-performed team of the season. But an ordinary performance that day and heavy defeat at the hands of Richmond seems to have affected the psyche of an entire club ever since.

The controversial and much-discussed pre-season training camp which followed that loss clearly drove deep divisions between a playing and coaching group and administration which many would argue are still being felt.

The coach of that group, Don Pyke, has departed, replaced by Matthew Nicks. The playing list of 2017 looks substantially different headed into 2020. But little, it seems, ticks over at Adelaide now as smoothly as it had for so long. McLeod's comments, disturbingly, hint not at playing philosophies, recruiting or list management, but at a less definable atmosphere pervading the whole organisation. Or dare one say, its culture.

It's an interesting contrast. As the 2020 AFL season resumes next week, Hawthorn will be picking up the pieces concerned only about winning its next game, secure in the knowledge its long-standing and successful values will again be adhered to.

Adelaide, under its new coach Nicks, will be working hard to build a new system and a new era on the field. But now, as it ponders some damning criticism from its own club legend, it might not have quite the same sense of security that what surrounds that part of the operation is definitively on track. Culture in football can be an intangible and elusive quality. Which, if it is lacking, makes it that much harder to correct.

Rohan Connolly
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL