Best and worst grounds.

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Best and worst grounds.

Postby laser » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:16 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Any east/west oval should be black balled.

The MCG runs east-west, as does Plympton and Kingswood. I reckon Salisbury would almost be on the exact same alignment as the MCG. The new oval in Perth runs east-west I think. Likely to be others, but an exclusive cohort knowing which way to run an oval. Others may catch on.
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:17 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Down south we all have the matting, its so heavy that it needs a crane to put it in place but then is fuses in with the natural grass, seems consistent across all grounds so must me the Onkaparinga council's preferred method. Seems to work well though, never heard any complaints.

Try rocking up on a Saturday to play a cricket Grand Final only to discover the council has covered your cricket pitch!!!!!

Lucky I had organized a BBQ breakfast and team meeting and I wanted to get there early to line mark the oval and perhaps do a logo on the ground, it wasn't long until we were busting our arses for the morning.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:23 pm

laser wrote:
The MCG runs east-west, as does Plympton and Kingswood. I reckon Salisbury would almost be on the exact same alignment as the MCG. The new oval in Perth runs east-west I think. Likely to be others, but an exclusive cohort knowing which way to run an oval. Others may catch on.

Salisbury Oval is a bit more of SW/NE, the G and Perth are East-West, I don't think it really matters as they are cauldron-like so the wind will always just swirl and you're unlikely to have the sun in your eyes given the surroundings.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby zedman » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:27 pm

laser wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=au

It was also in 1881 that a telephone was installed at the ground, and the wickets and goal posts were changed from an east-west orientation to north-south.

must have changed it again?? :)

my in built compass says SFC oval doesnt run east/west but maybe i lose myself out there!
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1077 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:36 pm

zedman wrote:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=au

It was also in 1881 that a telephone was installed at the ground, and the wickets and goal posts were changed from an east-west orientation to north-south.

must have changed it again?? :)

my in built compass says SFC oval doesnt run east/west but maybe i lose myself out there!

Long Plains Oval feels like E-W yet it's NNW/SSE.

Rosewater takes some getting used of, like Plympton Oval, I recall many poor conversion rates from travelling sides, or unless it was just us.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:37 pm

Payneham oval is another out of whack, although cricket use it N/S
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Just on this, how many footy ovals in Adelaide or the country with hardwicket cricket pitches use something other than sand to cover their pitches during footy season? Their doesn't seem to be any around in Adelaide that don't use sand?

For years the Port Adelaide council layed turf over our cricket pitch for footy season up until a few years ago where now a large artificial turf mat is now layed over the cricket pitch. It is more cost effective than laying turf every and easier to put down/take off. During the most recent summer we finally had permanent matting layed down on our cricket pitch so now we effectively have two layers of artificial turf/matting that covers the cement pitch making it even safer for footy.

I believe Port Noarlunga does the same thing? I've always wondered if other clubs have a similar set up.

Down south we all have the matting, its so heavy that it needs a crane to put it in place but then is fuses in with the natural grass, seems consistent across all grounds so must me the Onkaparinga council's preferred method. Seems to work well though, never heard any complaints.

Ah well there you go, yeah ours has worked really well with no complaints as far as I know so far. Apart from less cost and less labor to install it it's also safer than the layed turf as due to all the foot traffic on the turf it tends to start breaking up and become dislodged in spots as footy season moves along where as the mat seems to handle it all just fine.

I hope that more clubs and councils can look at employing this set up instead of just using sand year after year.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10299 times
Been liked: 1517 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:41 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:I hope that more clubs and councils can look at employing this set up instead of just using sand year after year.

Believe it's becoming the norm across the board - it works out more cost effective in the long run, and is quicker turn around time for councils to cover/uncover pitches.

We got the stuck down matting this year, and told the council we would pay for it as long as they got the gecko cover for winter.. worked out about $8k ea
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby LovesHisFooty » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:39 pm

I've never played on the matting cover, only on sand covered pitches (it's been a while). The matting looks like it would be real hard with a heavy landing on your knee or elbow.

The sand used to suck when it was water logged or when it had been wet and dried rock hard and razor sharp.

Hackham oval runs north/south but the club rooms are on the eastern side, meaning from half time of the A grade you have your hand up to ya forehead. CBC would be the same I guess although I've never watched a game from up there.
LovesHisFooty
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:46 pm

LovesHisFooty wrote:I've never played on the matting cover, only on sand covered pitches (it's been a while). The matting looks like it would be real hard with a heavy landing on your knee or elbow.

Salisbury West had the matting cover, surprisingly it's very soft, and honestly you don't really notice much difference between the matting and the rest of the oval.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Pag » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:49 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
laser wrote:

Salisbury Oval is a bit more of SW/NE, the G and Perth are East-West, I don't think it really matters as they are cauldron-like so the wind will always just swirl and you're unlikely to have the sun in your eyes given the surroundings.

Yep SW/NE, parallel with the Gawler line and Salisbury Highway. Sun sets behind the grandstand/trees/rail line, doesn't impact like it does at Rosies/Plympton.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:54 pm

laser wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

The MCG is pretty much a circle.
I think you'll find Footy is played East/West, cricket is played North/South
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby mickey » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:23 pm

The Gecko matting is filled with rubber. After being laid and the rubber topped up, it is generally softer than the surrounding areas when tested with a Clegg hammer.
It's the same technology as artificial soccer/gridiron fields we are all familiar with.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby BetweenThePosts » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:57 pm

Plenty of discussion, time to sort it out once and for all.

Starting Thursday June 11, THE ULTIMATE BEST OVAL BRACKET.

There are 70 clubs across the Adelaide Footy League (Men's & Women's) .. only 1 can be the best in the league.

Round One we need to get 70 down to 64 for a full bracket.

So it will be the first 6 of our 69 head to head matchups.

Round One Grounds will be drawn randomly on "Between The Posts" airing Thursday Night June 11.

Voting via the facebook page : View From My Clubroom - Adelaide Footy League
BetweenThePosts
Mini-League

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:38 am

mickey wrote:The Gecko matting is filled with rubber. After being laid and the rubber topped up, it is generally softer than the surrounding areas when tested with a Clegg hammer.
It's the same technology as artificial soccer/gridiron fields we are all familiar with.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

took a photo of ours last night, it has nitted in well with surrounding grass due to no play

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby BetweenThePosts » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:57 pm

THE ULTIMATE BEST OVAL BRACKET

The Round One Matchups are In.

Starting with all 70 main clubgrounds around the Adelaide Footy League by Grand Final week there will be a winner!

TUBOB Rd 1 Matchups Pro v2.png
TUBOB Rd 1 Matchups Pro v2.png (270.14 KiB) Viewed 3568 times

Voting is at "View From Our Clubrooms - Adelaide Footy League" Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/665327430925370/

Rd 1 voting closes 11pm Friday June 19. ... Results announced on "Between The Posts" On Thurs June 25.

Rd 2 to be drawn next week on "Between The Posts"
BetweenThePosts
Mini-League

Been liked: 7 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:32 am

there is some shocking ovals on that list
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:20 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:there is some shocking ovals on that list

Lol 4 of those would make the shortlist for shittest oval, and I haven't even been to Central United and Flinders Uni.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:51 pm

Not missing much very ordinary
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby The Old Fellow » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:25 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:there is some shocking ovals on that list

Lol 4 of those would make the shortlist for shittest oval, and I haven't even been to Central United and Flinders Uni.

At least the last time I saw the Units oval it holds up pretty well in the wet weather, more than I can say about some others. Never seen Flinders Uni thou.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League