COVID-19 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: COVID-19 (Country)

Postby Hazbeen » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:29 pm

SecretInformant wrote:
magpiemaster wrote:
doubletrouble wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Mallee Football League has pulled the pin on the season

Can only hope the Hills League do the same.

Hills back First or Second week July

Aiming for July 4 to start Div 1

July 4th is the common date around the state for a resumption if the Premier and the Professor allow crowds
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Hazbeen wrote:
SecretInformant wrote:
Aiming for July 4 to start Div 1

July 4th is the common date around the state for a resumption if the Premier and the Professor allow crowds

Should have some fireworks.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:19 am

Has a decision been made on player payments yet?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:52 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Has a decision been made on player payments yet?

Next week
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 am

Dutchy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Has a decision been made on player payments yet?

Next week

Ouch, going to be a crazy week if there are a ban on player payments, country leagues will be rooted.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:36 am

Country leagues won't go ahead if the salary cap is reduced to $0. Many clubs simply won't have enough players. The big towns with populations will be fine, the smaller towns will most certainly struggle.
Will also struggle to attract umpires if salary cap is reduced as there will be a push for all expenses, umpires, association fees etc to be reduced by the same %.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:38 am

Mythical Creature wrote:Country leagues won't go ahead if the salary cap is reduced to $0..

packed lunch.PNG
packed lunch.PNG (34.56 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:43 am

The Bedge wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:Country leagues won't go ahead if the salary cap is reduced to $0..

packed lunch.PNG

Well, they will probably still get travel money so they don't have to take a cut lunch. They can stop at the roadhouse
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 719 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:44 am

Some clubs possibly might, but it doesn't help the ones who have and will continue to play by the rules. Not all clubs are always looking to find dodgy loopholes.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:46 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

packed lunch.PNG

Well, they will probably still get travel money so they don't have to take a cut lunch. They can stop at the roadhouse

Travel works out at approximately $25, that is to train once or twice plus games. The first 100km do not count as travel.
I know petrol.prices have come down but........
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:55 am

Mythical Creature wrote:Country leagues won't go ahead if the salary cap is reduced to $0. Many clubs simply won't have enough players. The big towns with populations will be fine, the smaller towns will most certainly struggle.
Will also struggle to attract umpires if salary cap is reduced as there will be a push for all expenses, umpires, association fees etc to be reduced by the same %.

You're not just a pretty avatar mate, you've gotta feel for those that run the league's, there will be clubs wanting to go ahead, some not, some fence sitters, they can't please everyone.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:06 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:Country leagues won't go ahead if the salary cap is reduced to $0. Many clubs simply won't have enough players. The big towns with populations will be fine, the smaller towns will most certainly struggle.

You're not just a pretty avatar mate, you've gotta feel for those that run the league's, there will be clubs wanting to go ahead, some not, some fence sitters, they can't please everyone.

Personally I'm 50 50. The devil will be in the detail. If the season gets going some clubs will 100% struggle to fill a b grade side if for example senior Colts can't fill in. This is a real possibility given they can't train with the seniors if they already trained with the Colts group.
What about a b grade player being a runner for A grade or junior Colts? Mixing with different groups.
Umpires could be limited to 1 game so as not to cross contaminate across grades. Would then need more umpires.
This is why it's so hard to see anything get up unless things are completely relaxed
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Personally I'm 50 50. The devil will be in the detail. If the season gets going some clubs will 100% struggle to fill a b grade side if for example senior Colts can't fill in. This is a real possibility given they can't train with the seniors if they already trained with the Colts group.
What about a b grade player being a runner for A grade or junior Colts? Mixing with different groups.
Umpires could be limited to 1 game so as not to cross contaminate across grades. Would then need more umpires.
This is why it's so hard to see anything get up unless things are completely relaxed

I agree on every aspect, I thought the B Grade would suffer, and considering that most umpires would come from the city it would barely make it financially worth it to travel for one game.

It's no restrictions or no footy as far as I can see.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:24 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:Personally I'm 50 50. The devil will be in the detail. If the season gets going some clubs will 100% struggle to fill a b grade side if for example senior Colts can't fill in. This is a real possibility given they can't train with the seniors if they already trained with the Colts group.

I agree on every aspect, I thought the B Grade would suffer, and considering that most umpires would come from the city it would barely make it financially worth it to travel for one game.

That's my point. Why would a player come from city, train at least 1 night per week, plus play on saturday put his body on line, possibly get injured and unable to work for a period of timefor $25 If an umpire doesn't think it's viable to just turn up on Saturday umpire, not put their body on the line but get paid $100 to umpire b grade?
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:48 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

That's my point. Why would a player come from city, train at least 1 night per week, plus play on saturday put his body on line, possibly get injured and unable to work for a period of timefor $25 If an umpire doesn't think it's viable to just turn up on Saturday umpire, not put their body on the line but get paid $100 to umpire b grade?

I thought you meant junior games, generally just a B Grade gig works well for most umpires. I know just at our factory alone that many players knock back Saturday overtime to play footy, I'm sure it happens beyond just these walls.

Times have changed and money has been too readily available for middle tiered players, we used to get a bit of drinking money if we won, otherwise you just had to make sure you played well enough to get an award if you needed the coin that much.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:58 pm

Apply it for junior games where you might get around $50 then.
You say that may not be viable for umpires but yet it's ok for players to travel twice as far (training night) for $25 plus all the other risks and that's ok.
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Apply it for junior games where you might get around $50 then.
You say that may not be viable for umpires but yet it's ok for players to travel twice as far (training night) for $25 plus all the other risks and that's ok.

Not at all, comparing umpiring to playing is like comparing apples and oranges, I was just generalizing after reading some thoughts from the umpiring fraternity, each bloke has their own thoughts and I wouldn't begrudge anyone on their views.

I played footy for the comradeship, the off-field banter along with the beers and the bullshit after the game, I suffered a heap of injuries, some season ending so I can totally see why players wouldn't risk it this year, each to their own, injuries happen every week and 80% of those at the ground think "I hope he's alright" and then get on with watching the rest of the game, no one thinks about the 8 weeks he's gonna miss off of work and the implications that come with that.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:17 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:Apply it for junior games where you might get around $50 then.

Not at all, comparing umpiring to playing is like comparing apples and oranges, I was just generalizing after reading some thoughts from the umpiring fraternity, each bloke has their own thoughts and I wouldn't begrudge anyone on their views.

I played footy for the comradeship, the off-field banter along with the beers and the bullshit after the game, I suffered a heap of injuries, some season ending so I can totally see why players wouldn't risk it this year, each to their own, injuries happen every week and 80% of those at the ground think "I hope he's alright" and then get on with watching the rest of the game, no one thinks about the 8 weeks he's gonna miss off of work and the implications that come with that.

I play for the exact same reason and I agree. All I'm saying is if you scrap the salary cap, scrap the season as today's brigade of footballers are generally different to us. It's not a bad thing they are different it's just that times have changed and they are. You either fight it or accept it.
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby scottroo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Have heard whispers of an announcement today Or tomorrow regarding TPPS
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:49 pm

Cancel the year. No brainer.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy