AFL Round 2

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 2

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:01 am

Brodlach wrote:To quote Booney from the Adelaide thread

“ I'd say he’d guilty of being pretty f*cking thick.”

I've since watched the interview, it's outside his house, I thought they were sitting on the lounge together or something...
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:06 am

Booney wrote:

I've since watched the interview, it's outside his house, I thought they were sitting on the lounge together or something...

But is it inside his fence? :lol: :roll:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:08 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

But is it inside his fence? :lol: :roll:

I'm guessing he'll get a game or two.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:12 am

Great so Port will get a benefit in all of this...
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 am

MW wrote:Great so Port will get a benefit in all of this...

Need all the help you can get.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:21 am

Anyone watch the Front Bar last night? I know (or have always heard) how the AFL came about because the VFL was in trouble, but having Ross Oakley on there last night straight up saying it I must admit gave me the shits.

When asked the thought behind the AFL or what kick started it "Well we needed to find a new way to inject some cash into our struggling VFL clubs."
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:29 am

The Bedge wrote:Anyone watch the Front Bar last night? I know (or have always heard) how the AFL came about because the VFL was in trouble, but having Ross Oakley on there last night straight up saying it I must admit gave me the shits.

When asked the thought behind the AFL or what kick started it "Well we needed to find a new way to inject some cash into our struggling VFL clubs."

AFL has always been a rebranded VFL, it was never about Australian Rules Football having a truly National Comp (if that was the case NT and Tas would have had teams years ago)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:37 am

whufc wrote:AFL has always been a rebranded VFL, it was never about Australian Rules Football having a truly National Comp (if that was the case NT and Tas would have had teams years ago)

I know, but I guess actually hearing a former CEO actually say it made the reality a little worse than just talk/speculation amongst fans.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:42 am

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:AFL has always been a rebranded VFL, it was never about Australian Rules Football having a truly National Comp (if that was the case NT and Tas would have had teams years ago)

I know, but I guess actually hearing a former CEO actually say it made the reality a little worse than just talk/speculation amongst fans.

As little as it is i think it really resonated with me when the Power were not allowed to wear black and white on entry to the comp and the fact the AFL did nothing to change that.

Couldnt have screamed any louder that they were joining 'their' comp and not being added to a national comp.

Coming from a soccer background i found that decision so bewildering.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:42 am

Booney wrote:

Sure do. Shouldn't get within 10 goals of the premiership favourites sitting on top of the ladder for 12 weeks...
MW
Coach

Postby cracka » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:47 am

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Anyone watch the Front Bar last night? I know (or have always heard) how the AFL came about because the VFL was in trouble, but having Ross Oakley on there last night straight up saying it I must admit gave me the shits.

AFL has always been a rebranded VFL, it was never about Australian Rules Football having a truly National Comp (if that was the case NT and Tas would have had teams years ago)

Time for a split comp ala Rugby Super League of the 90's.
West Coast
Fremantle
Port
Adelaide
Sydney
Brisbane
Tasmania
NT
Geelong (they can play all home games in Geelong)
And 5 Melbourne teams
Last edited by cracka on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:50 am

cracka wrote:Time for a split com ala Rugby Super League of the 90's.

Over the last couple months I've been watching a fair bit of docos on Kayo - mostly NFL.. cant help but feel like the AFL are constantly trying to adopt a lot of their ideas or methods.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar "conference" style setup in the near future and creating spectacles for the "championships". Think the hubs idea could be the perfect testing ground for them
The Bedge
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:00 am

Corona Man wrote:In a 2 team town!

In a non football state!!! Good try though... :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:17 am

woodublieve12 wrote:

7.5m people and two teams.

NEXT!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:23 am

Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

7.5m people and two teams.

NEXT!

they also have multiple league teams there... Hawthorn are one of the biggest clubs in the comp and we get bigger crowds then them... So please take your nonsense and saltiness elsewhere... 8)

NEXT!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby mots02 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:27 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sure do. Shouldn't get within 10 goals of the premiership favourites sitting on top of the ladder for 12 weeks...

Correct.

Top of the table, wearing the Prison bars, celebrating a birthday, massive home crowd advantage against a hapless, re-building, no culture crows.

Anything less than a 10 goal drubbing would have to be deemed a failure by those at Alberton.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:27 am

mots02 wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Correct.

Top of the table, wearing the Prison bars, celebrating a birthday, massive home crowd advantage against a hapless, re-building, no culture crows.

Anything less than a 10 goal drubbing would have to be deemed a failure by those at Alberton.

A mate wants a 12 goal head start, I'm more inclined to give him 10 like you suggest.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:34 am

The Bedge wrote:
cracka wrote:Time for a split com ala Rugby Super League of the 90's.

Over the last couple months I've been watching a fair bit of docos on Kayo - mostly NFL.. cant help but feel like the AFL are constantly trying to adopt a lot of their ideas or methods.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar "conference" style setup in the near future and creating spectacles for the "championships". Think the hubs idea could be the perfect testing ground for them

Couldnt agree more.

The AFL would love the thought of having a Victoria conference and having more regular Vic vs Vic blockbusters. Makes extreme financial sense as well with Victorian clubs costs lowered via less travel (is that even possible) and income increased through larger crowd averages.
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:00 am

whufc wrote:

He didn’t say anything I hadn’t read or heard before. Of course it is a rebranded VFL and the stupid non Victorian clubs fell for it boom, line and sinker. The clubs knew what they were getting into yet in their haste to join the comp they somehow forgot that they held all the cards and if they had only held out out for another year or two it would be a vastly different landscape. Only 2-3 VFL clubs would have survived if the interstate clubs had held their nerve and a new national comp would have been formed from the ashes
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:18 am

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:

He didn’t say anything I hadn’t read or heard before. Of course it is a rebranded VFL and the stupid non Victorian clubs fell for it boom, line and sinker. The clubs knew what they were getting into yet in their haste to join the comp they somehow forgot that they held all the cards and if they had only held out out for another year or two it would be a vastly different landscape. Only 2-3 VFL clubs would have survived if the interstate clubs had held their nerve and a new national comp would have been formed from the ashes

I say rubbish, what were the chances of all of the VFL/SANFL/WAFL all coming to an agreement on the T's & C's of such a competition?

Whilst the Australian National Football Council ( defunct in 1993 ) was in place there was a governing body not aligned to any state based competition, so perhaps pre-'93 there may have been a chance of an independent body taking over and controlling a truly national competition but by this time West Coast were 6 years in, Adelaide 3 and Fremantle had their licence laying in waiting.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL