Cancel Culture

Anything!

Re: Cancel Culture

Postby Spangas » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:13 pm

Booney wrote:Statues being torn down.

Movies, TV shows being removed from streaming services.

World gone completely mad.

Batshit crazy: refer 'Capital Hill Autonomous Zone'
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:16 pm

cracka wrote:
Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:
MW wrote:They've now removed the Fawlty Towers ep where Basil does the goose step...that's the last straw

Really?

Yep, "Don't mention the war" episode pulled from streaming services as the old Major uses the term "wog" and it's been deemed offensive by 2020.

F*ck 2020.

Kingswood Country's f***ed then

Pickle me grandmother!!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:18 pm

Gozu wrote:We've always re-written history otherwise Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile would still be revered.

That's because they were found guilty of serious crimes, though.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Gozu » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Magellan wrote:
Gozu wrote:We've always re-written history otherwise Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile would still be revered.

Slavery isn't?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:40 pm

Sadly the balance has swang way to far in the other direction.

I'm the first to admit some of the stuff especially Kingswood Country was downright racism and i can accept that not being tolerated but we have got to a point where we might as well burn all the history books and not teach history as we arent allowed to delve into it anyway. Wipe it all and start fresh.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MatteeG » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Assuming 'Love Thy Neighbour' has been long removed?
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Spangas » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Gozu wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Slavery isn't?

Slavery wasn't illegal.
The statues are a reminder of the history of America, for better or worse. I don't care if they are eventually removed, just not torn down by anarchists.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:57 pm

Spangas wrote:
Gozu wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Slavery isn't?

Slavery wasn't illegal.
The statues are a reminder of the history of America, for better or worse. I don't care if they are eventually removed, just not torn down by anarchists.

why not??
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby RB » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:00 pm

When I heard about the Fawlty Towers thing, I assumed it was due to the portrayal of Manuel being potentially offensive to Spaniards.

But the episode with the Germans?

For Christ sakes, we beat the krauts, we were the good guys in WWII, the Nazi regime committed unspeakable evils. Surely people in Allied countries are entitled to make what would generally be considered fairly light-hearted jokes about the war?

I mean, if anything Basil attempts, in vain and to comic effect, to treat the Germans like any other guests.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Because if they ruled the world we'd all be f*cked.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby RB » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:06 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Spangas wrote:
Gozu wrote:
Magellan wrote:[quote="Gozu"]We've always re-written history otherwise Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile would still be revered.

Slavery isn't?

Slavery wasn't illegal.

why not??[/quote]This is a difficult one - and I'm not opposed to the statue in Bristol being removed - but I would prefer to see it removed by the council or appropriate authority according to law. We head down a slippery slope when angry mobs start tearing down statues.

Also, as has been pointed out, virtually everybody who existed before the twentieth century had views on many subjects that would be considered utterly appalling today. And that includes even revered figures.

Most of the early American presidents were slave owners. All Australian prime ministers up to the 60s or 70s supported the White Australia Policy. Basically every public figure before WWII was opposed to homosexuality being legal. Etc. Etc.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby JK » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:13 pm

I’dimagjne Allo’ Allo’ will be hard to get hold of now
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:14 pm

RB wrote:This is a difficult one - and I'm not opposed to the statue in Bristol being removed - but I would prefer to see it removed by the council or appropriate authority according to law. We head down a slippery slope when angry mobs start tearing down statues.

Also, as has been pointed out, virtually everybody who existed before the twentieth century had views on many subjects that would be considered utterly appalling today. And that includes even revered figures.

Most of the early American presidents were slave owners. All Australian prime ministers up to the 60s or 70s supported the White Australia Policy. Basically every public figure before WWII was opposed to homosexuality being legal. Etc. Etc.

My sentiments precisely.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby David Brent » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:22 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
RB wrote:This is a difficult one - and I'm not opposed to the statue in Bristol being removed - but I would prefer to see it removed by the council or appropriate authority according to law. We head down a slippery slope when angry mobs start tearing down statues.

My sentiments precisely.

Saw a good tweet from someone saying Warnie will probably rip down Steve Waugh's statue whilst all this is going on. :lol:
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:37 pm

I read article where it was suggested countries should invest more in statues of revered indigenous people rather than remove all of our current statues.

To me that was a little bit closer to a fair compromise between acknowledging history but also respecting and appreciating indigenous leaders throughout history.

Im just not sure what outcome is expected if we knock down all statues, the history still exists it cant be taken away, all we can do is learn from it, evolve and insure the future for all people regardless of co lour is treated as equals. We have a long way to go, i still consider Australia a fairly 'racist' country but im not sure knocking down statues fixes that.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Gozu » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:44 pm

Spangas wrote:
Gozu wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Slavery isn't?

Slavery wasn't illegal.

Pedophilia wasn't either.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:48 pm

JK wrote:I’dimagjne Allo’ Allo’ will be hard to get hold of now

I'm also imagining that Ted Bullpitt will be turning in his grave.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:52 pm

cracka wrote:
Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:
MW wrote:They've now removed the Fawlty Towers ep where Basil does the goose step...that's the last straw

Really?

Yep, "Don't mention the war" episode pulled from streaming services as the old Major uses the term "wog" and it's been deemed offensive by 2020.

F*ck 2020.

Kingswood Country's f***ed then

beat me to it cracka

I don't get this at all. I actually think it's good to know what we've left in the past. Generally speaking you can only gauge that from TV shows of the past.

I think I must be a criminal (maybe 'sick') because I still find these types of shows funny. Fawlty Towers, Kingswood Country, Love Thy Neighbour, Mind your language etc. The list goes on. I obviously must be in the minority - and I'm white, so I must be racist?

On top of this, most Tarantino movies are stuffed too. DJango Unchained, Hateful 8 (whichever one it was that used the N word) a million times.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:11 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
beat me to it cracka

I don't get this at all. I actually think it's good to know what we've left in the past. Generally speaking you can only gauge that from TV shows of the past.

I think I must be a criminal (maybe 'sick') because I still find these types of shows funny. Fawlty Towers, Kingswood Country, Love Thy Neighbour, Mind your language etc. The list goes on. I obviously must be in the minority - and I'm white, so I must be racist?

On top of this, most Tarantino movies are stuffed too. DJango Unchained, Hateful 8 (whichever one it was that used the N word) a million times.

Pulp Fiction.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Spangas » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Gozu wrote:
Spangas wrote:
Gozu wrote:
Magellan wrote: That's because they were found guilty of serious crimes, though.

Slavery isn't?

Slavery wasn't illegal.

Pedophilia wasn't either.

Enjoy this new world then.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion