AFL Round 2

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 2

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:08 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Essendon in front all day and yet Sydney win the free kick count 25-13. Even with no crowd the umpiring was its usual Sydney biased

Sydney Bias!!! Surely you are taking the piss

Stats say 25-13 mate.
It’s not even the numbers that matter though but the consistency. I can’t fathom how frees can be paid or unpaid at one end but not the other and there was one ump in particular who I can’t honestly remember paying a free our way.
If Kennedy got away with one more basketball throw I was going to launch the remote at the TV.
Anyway it’s done now and we broke the hoodoo, two pretty ordinary sides that are around the 10th-14th mark I feel. We still have massive issues but I’ll gladly take a 2-0 start
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:43 am

One thing from Saturday night and I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but Glouftis should not be umpiring at AFL level. She literally looks to one of the other umpires for affirmation before she makes any decision and three times Saturday night another umpire called a free for a play that she was controlling.

Does anyone know if umpires are being rotated? She didn't officiate in the last quarter.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:55 am

Booney wrote:One thing from Saturday night and I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but Glouftis should not be umpiring at AFL level. She literally looks to one of the other umpires for affirmation before she makes any decision and three times Saturday night another umpire called a free for a play that she was controlling.

Does anyone know if umpires are being rotated? She didn't officiate in the last quarter.

She's an easy target for criticism. There would have been a number of instances over the round where decisions were made by a "non controlling" umpire and from what I saw there were umpires in other games that may have influenced the result due to their poor decision making. We should accept that umpires make mistakes.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:58 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Booney wrote:One thing from Saturday night and I'm all for diversity and inclusion, but Glouftis should not be umpiring at AFL level. She literally looks to one of the other umpires for affirmation before she makes any decision and three times Saturday night another umpire called a free for a play that she was controlling.

She's an easy target for criticism. There would have been a number of instances over the round where decisions were made by a "non controlling" umpire and from what I saw there were umpires in other games that may have influenced the result due to their poor decision making. We should accept that umpires make mistakes.
She is a pretty poor umpire but atleast she isn’t a cheat like Margetts
Jim05
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:04 am

Can’t believe we restarted the season in the middle of a pandemic. Should never have come back!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:05 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

At the AFL level the whole notion of the controlling umpire is being les emphasised as opposed to umpiring as a team. Their positioning and squeezing up at stoppages and free kicks has changed enormously in the last five years. They basically try to get a 360 view of the entire play between the three umpires.

Whilst there is a nominated in control umpire and the others are instructed to only pay free kicks if they are "major and obvious" but the way they set up now is that that the controlling umpire will mover around the contest (ball up throw in) but the others will be located so they can see the back and front of the contest for the off the ball holds and illegal (high) contacts.

So in a nutshell you see far more off the ball free kicks now from the non-controlling umpires
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:09 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

Agreed, she is an easy target but I'm not saying she's poor because she's a she, I'm just saying she's a poor umpire.

In fact I think there some worse than she is, Findlay and Stephens come to mind.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:12 am

Definitely noticed players were given more time to dispose of the footy over the weekend.
As long as they’re consistent with it, I think it’s a positive move which keeps the game flowing.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:34 am

How did Burgoyne get off with just a fine?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 am

Booney wrote:How did Burgoyne get off with just a fine?

Yeah crazy. Mind you, Patrick would have probably got off too if it was the other way around.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 am

Track record at a guess?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:46 am

Because Dangerfield wasn’t concussed/injured.
It’s ridiculous that it’s based on the outcome & not the action.

Spargo
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:27 am

I did note some games had 4 umpires named and some 3. I didnt take any notice after that, maybe the ones with 4 had a rotation thing going where they sat on the bench for a quarter?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby MatteeG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:08 pm

Spargo wrote:

Because Dangerfield wasn’t concussed/injured.
It’s ridiculous that it’s based on the outcome & not the action.

Correct. It's been this way for quite some time. Crap.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby MatteeG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Something else I noticed more this round was how 'matey' everyone is on the field.

I'm all for good sportsmanship, but gees I miss genuine dislike between teams.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Spargo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:39 pm

MatteeG wrote:Something else I noticed more this round was how 'matey' everyone is on the field.

This^
I nearly vomited in my beer when I saw how chummy we were with that lot we shared a plane with...

Spargo
Coach

AFL Round 2

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Spargo wrote:
MatteeG wrote:Something else I noticed more this round was how 'matey' everyone is on the field.

This^
I nearly vomited in my beer when I saw how chummy we were with that lot we shared a plane with...
We probably paid for your flight up there that’s why ;)
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:48 pm

Oh, and Saturday night you got your beers in the cans not poured into cups, Furphy was $8.50 for a can.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:56 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Spargo wrote:

This^
We probably paid for your flight up there that’s why ;)

:lol:

Spargo
Coach

Postby Bandit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:21 pm

Bum Crack wrote:

Yeah crazy. Mind you, Patrick would have probably got off too if it was the other way around.

Hawkins or Sicily would have got 3 weeks :D
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL