Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby LMA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:19 pm

RB wrote:
MW wrote:Because it's not just the same colours...they are both black and white stripes.
Eddie even said last night, throw some teal in there with the same jumper design.
There may be black and white stripes on both, but the jumper designs are clearly quite different.

Notwithstanding that the One Club 1870 stuff is nonsense, I don't see why Port shouldn't be able to wear whatever jumper they want, at least for home games, and away games where there's no clash, like virtually every other sports team in the world.

I'm not sure why Collingwood cares so much - does Eddie think Collingwood supporters are going to switch to Port?

I seem to recall Port wore the prison bars against Richmond in a home final because Richmond didn't have a clash strip
. I'm pretty sure Collingwood don't either. Why are Victorian teams allowed to forego clash jumpers even for away games and force other teams to find something else?

The whole guernsey thing in the AFL is a joke.

I've said it before, substitute common sense in for egos, and it's not an issue.

Richmond wore a predominant yellow guernsey in that game.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby RB » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:25 pm

What was the reason Port couldn't wear their normal home guernsey in that game?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby LMA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:26 pm

MW wrote:Because it's not just the same colours...they are both black and white stripes.
Eddie even said last night, throw some teal in there with the same jumper design.

Like this :-k

14991056_10154309266646107_856084213653551017_o.jpg
14991056_10154309266646107_856084213653551017_o.jpg (41.45 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
LMA
Coach

Postby LMA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:33 pm

RB wrote:What was the reason Port couldn't wear their normal home guernsey in that game?

Now I think of it I think you're somewhat correct. I recall Richmond saying they didn't have a clash strip so Port submitted to wear the Wharf Pylons which obviously was granted. Then Richmond played in an alternative strip anyway, possibly from the NAB cup.
LMA
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 pm

LMA wrote:
RB wrote:What was the reason Port couldn't wear their normal home guernsey in that game?

Now I think of it I think you're somewhat correct. I recall Richmond saying they didn't have a clash strip so Port submitted to wear the Wharf Pylons which obviously was granted. Then Richmond played in an alternative strip anyway, possibly from the NAB cup.

Richmond wore the 2014 Clash guernsey in that match, it was not a preseason guernsey.
20200618_200044.jpg
20200618_200044.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby LMA » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:52 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
LMA wrote:

Richmond wore the 2014 Clash guernsey in that match, it was not a preseason guernsey.
20200618_200044.jpg

Alright got it, so the AFL deemed Richmonds away strip to clash with Ports home strip so they wanted Port to wear their White away guernsey. This lead to Ports request to wear the Black & White.
LMA
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:23 am

I love our V guernsey that we wear at AFL level, I think it's one of the best AFL guernseys ( even with bias ).

Our wharf pylon guernsey ( why the club insists on "prison bars" I'm not sure, the wharf pylons connect us to Port Adelaide ) has it's history in South Australia, it's the Port Adelaide Football Club's South Australian history and as such I think we should wear it in Showdowns only. The twice a year event that is a South Australian event, albeit on the national stage.

The V guersey represents the club on the national stage, the Port Adelaide Football Club that it is today and in the future.

Plus, if Kochie really is up for the fight and it pisses McGuire off, win, lose or draw I reckon it's brilliant and I get a feeling other club presidents would be thinking the same, about time someone told McGuire to stay in his lane.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:26 am

The V guernsey both black and white versions are great, I agree its one of the best and that's with MY bias! ;)
Hate the turquoise version though.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:36 am

Port/AFL signed an agreement in 2007 that we could wear the prison bars in Heritage rounds, since the advent of the Giants and Suns there are no longer any dedicated heritage rounds so Koch is arguing the Showdown has significant heritage here in South Australia, that's why we're asking to wear it in Showdowns. He's not asking to use the Magpie, he's not asking to play in the guernsey all the time, he's asking to play in it in Showdowns. I reckon he's on the right path with the AFL.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Jase » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:51 am

Booney wrote:Port/AFL signed an agreement in 2007 that we could wear the prison bars in Heritage rounds, since the advent of the Giants and Suns there are no longer any dedicated heritage rounds so Koch is arguing the Showdown has significant heritage here in South Australia, that's why we're asking to wear it in Showdowns. He's not asking to use the Magpie, he's not asking to play in the guernsey all the time, he's asking to play in it in Showdowns. I reckon he's on the right path with the AFL.

If as Eddie says the AFL hold the copyright for everything... then they can just tell Eddie to suck it up and let the Power play in the stripes... Eddie doesn't really have a say in it... Does he?
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1479 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby David Brent » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:58 am

LMA wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
LMA wrote:

20200618_200044.jpg

Alright got it, so the AFL deemed Richmonds away strip to clash with Ports home strip so they wanted Port to wear their White away guernsey. This lead to Ports request to wear the Black & White.

Yep which was the catalyst for Richmond to create the complete yellow away strip we still wear during clash games.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Bandit » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:05 am

Jase wrote:
Booney wrote:Port/AFL signed an agreement in 2007 that we could wear the prison bars in Heritage rounds, since the advent of the Giants and Suns there are no longer any dedicated heritage rounds so Koch is arguing the Showdown has significant heritage here in South Australia, that's why we're asking to wear it in Showdowns. He's not asking to use the Magpie, he's not asking to play in the guernsey all the time, he's asking to play in it in Showdowns. I reckon he's on the right path with the AFL.

If as Eddie says the AFL hold the copyright for everything... then they can just tell Eddie to suck it up and let the Power play in the stripes... Eddie doesn't really have a say in it... Does he?

Yeah thats what i thought, the conversation should be between afl and port. Eddies opinion should matter as much as mine.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:16 am

Maybe the out for the AFL here would be for them to say to every club they can each have 1 round per year where they acknowledge their history in a heritage round, clubs can then choose if they do or dont. Port can then use the bars in their home showdown.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby RB » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:51 am

Jase wrote:

Still not sure it's a copyright issue or how Port wearing the prison bars would infringe Collingwood's or the AFL's copyright or any other intellectual property rights. The guernseys would have to be very similar before we get into the realm of copyright. And they just aren't.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby rd » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:17 pm

RB wrote:
Jase wrote:

Still not sure it's a copyright issue or how Port wearing the prison bars would infringe Collingwood's or the AFL's copyright or any other intellectual property rights. The guernseys would have to be very similar before we get into the realm of copyright. And they just aren't.

To me as a Crows fan the AFL have been at fault here. All they had to do was to state back in 1997 "Welcome to the AFL Port Adelaide but you cannot be known as the Magpies in this comp as we already have a magpies team named Collingwood. By all means you can be called the Port Adelaide Power or Port Power. Now your prison bars guernsey is very similar to Collingwood's guernsey. Replace the white bits with teal blue please and have a lot of teal blue on the back so your guernsey cannot be mistaken to be the Collingwood guernsey. We have 3 teams in the comp that wear blue and white colours without confusion so we should be able to handle one club wearing black and white and the new club wearing black and teal blue."
rd
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 26 times

Postby stan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:20 pm

Booney wrote:I love our V guernsey that we wear at AFL level, I think it's one of the best AFL guernseys ( even with bias ).

Our wharf pylon guernsey ( why the club insists on "prison bars" I'm not sure, the wharf pylons connect us to Port Adelaide ) has it's history in South Australia, it's the Port Adelaide Football Club's South Australian history and as such I think we should wear it in Showdowns only. The twice a year event that is a South Australian event, albeit on the national stage.

The V guersey represents the club on the national stage, the Port Adelaide Football Club that it is today and in the future.

Plus, if Kochie really is up for the fight and it pisses McGuire off, win, lose or draw I reckon it's brilliant and I get a feeling other club presidents would be thinking the same, about time someone told McGuire to stay in his lane.
I think if the notion is it is only for 2 games a year in Adelaide, a place Victorians don't like to go anyway then this might be the biggest non issue of the year.

Honestly we have so many issues to work out at the moment it's not funny.

And yes we all seem to have cash to piss away through the courts good on ya Eddie.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:20 pm

rd wrote:
RB wrote:
Jase wrote:

To me as a Crows fan the AFL have been at fault here. All they had to do was to state back in 1997 "Welcome to the AFL Port Adelaide but you cannot be known as the Magpies in this comp as we already have a magpies team named Collingwood. By all means you can be called the Port Adelaide Power or Port Power. Now your prison bars guernsey is very similar to Collingwood's guernsey. Replace the white bits with teal blue please and have a lot of teal blue on the back so your guernsey cannot be mistaken to be the Collingwood guernsey. We have 3 teams in the comp that wear blue and white colours without confusion so we should be able to handle one club wearing black and white and the new club wearing black and teal blue."
Waaay too much common sense right there.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:22 pm

Booney wrote:I love our V guernsey that we wear at AFL level, I think it's one of the best AFL guernseys ( even with bias ).

The V jumper is good. The lightning bolt spewfests however......

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Trader » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:07 pm

I'm in the minority here but I think Eddie is within his rights to protect the interests of the Collingwood Footy Club, in fact, I feel that is exactly his job.

A lot of people are saying what Port Adelaide wears isn't of any concern to CFC, however isn't it up to CFC to determine what impacts them.
Just like harassment policies and racism, etc. it doesn't matter what the intent was, it matters how the other party feels.
If Collingwood feel upset then Port Adelaide needs to accommodate the feelings of CFC and do everything in our power not to upset them!

Welcome to modern society. :roll:
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby JK » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Trader wrote:I'm in the minority here but I think Eddie is within his rights to protect the interests of the Collingwood Footy Club, in fact, I feel that is exactly his job.

A lot of people are saying what Port Adelaide wears isn't of any concern to CFC, however isn't it up to CFC to determine what impacts them.
Just like harassment policies and racism, etc. it doesn't matter what the intent was, it matters how the other party feels.
If Collingwood feel upset then Port Adelaide needs to accommodate the feelings of CFC and do everything in our power not to upset them!

Welcome to modern society. :roll:

I agree, but think both sides have a right to push for what they want. Ultimately the AFL, whilst they appear loathe to get involved, are going to have to.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL