AFL Round 3 - #hublyfe

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 3 - #hublyfe

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 am

Corona Man wrote:
Said the game bores him, has turned his attention to American sports.....

:shock: :shock:
Seriously ?
I've lost interest in AFL in the last 3 - 4 years but in all honesty i'd rather watch the WORST AFL match ever anyday than watch any American Sport at all as i find the American Sports are the single most boringest things to watch. It's just all stop / start , over commercialized rubbish.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:58 am

jackpot jim wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Seriously ?
I've lost interest in AFL in the last 3 - 4 years but in all honesty i'd rather watch the WORST AFL match ever anyday than watch any American Sport at all as i find the American Sports are the single most boringest things to watch. It's just all stop / start , over commercialized rubbish.

I've tried to watch a Grid Iron game but I never have a spare 9 hours.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:01 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Seriously ?

I can't do NFL, even when I try.

I can sometimes do basketball, but only the last 5 minutes when I have 30 minutes spare.

I can do baseball, there's a lot of similarities between baseball and cricket, the one on one battles, the importance of taking your chances when you get them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:03 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Seriously ?

I tend to agree with you JJ.

I can watch the Packers, but any other NFL is a bit of a yawn. NBL, a little not much, the news highlights is usually enough for me. The Baseball I don't mind, but I do not go out of my way.

Fortunately my bloke still loves cricket, that's all that really matters!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby MatteeG » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:11 pm

Corona Man wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Seriously ?

I tend to agree with you JJ.

I can watch the Packers, but any other NFL is a bit of a yawn. NBL, a little not much, the news highlights is usually enough for me. The Baseball I don't mind, but I do go out of my way.

Fortunately my bloke still loves cricket, that's all that really matters!

My boy has just turned 10 and while he plays footy he can take or leave any game on the box (including 'his' hawks). He will watch cricket a bit longer.

If you asked him who his sporting idol is he'll tell you 'Patrick Mahomes' without blinking an eyelid. Loves the NFL. He'll happily watch that for hours. It's sad because as a kid the only NFL player I knew was Fran Tarkenton and that was only because he was a co-host of "That's Incredible".

I still love attending any footy in person (SFL/SANFL/AFL) but unless I am sitting with mates I dont watch many AFL games, even the Hawks Thursday night I forgot was on until mid second quarter.

Current climate probably adds to it, but yeah, its lost a lot of lustre.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

AFL Round 3 - #hublyfe

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:21 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Seriously ?
I’m a massive NHL fan so watch or listen to dozens of games per week if possible and like my MLB but NBA and NFL I’ll really only watch my sides play and even then only occasionally
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Bandit » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:11 pm

Jim05 wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

Seriously ?
I’m a massive NHL fan so watch or listen to dozens of games per week if possible and like my MLB but NBA and NFL I’ll really only watch my sides play and even then only occasionally

NHL is great. Sometimes if i see NFL on i watch until i see someone massively over celebrate a basic play then switch channels, so usually less than 1 min.
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:01 pm

ave 45
vs
ave 73
This is why you are losing interest but at the same time a few of you say there is nothing wrong with the game.
Ill keep banging on about it until something changes.
To appease a majority of people i think giving 2 points for scoring a certain amount of points and losing is the way to go. Surely thats a bit of a compromise for the likes of wubsy who says leave the game alone and dont change any rules and me who thinks drastic rule changes are required.
If we make this one small change, we dont touch the rules of the game and we let the coaches sort it out just as they have been responsible for the defensive crap that is served up now.
One thing that has gone is the high mark over the pack as defenders are to good at not giving their opponent a run and jump at the footy. Have we got too lax on the shepherding when the ball isnt within 5metres? is that still a rule? It could be argued that any contact from a defender breaks this rule except at the last second or so.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Trader » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:30 pm

I don't hate the idea of a bonus point for high scoring games, but I wouldn't put it past both teams playing a "shoot out" in the first half to get the scores to say 15 goals each at half time, then lock down the second half and play the same boring footy we see now.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:47 pm

Trader wrote:I don't hate the idea of a bonus point for high scoring games, but I wouldn't put it past both teams playing a "shoot out" in the first half to get the scores to say 15 goals each at half time, then lock down the second half and play the same boring footy we see now.

At least you'd get to see a half of entertaining football as opposed to no quarters of entertaining footy we're getting now.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:50 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Trader wrote:I don't hate the idea of a bonus point for high scoring games, but I wouldn't put it past both teams playing a "shoot out" in the first half to get the scores to say 15 goals each at half time, then lock down the second half and play the same boring footy we see now.

At least you'd get to see a half of entertaining football as opposed to no quarters of entertaining footy we're getting now.

First one to 120 wins.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:59 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

First one to 120 wins.

Some games would go for days...
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:08 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:First one to 120 wins.

Play till someone calls "Last goal wins"
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby mal » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:12 pm

Good logic to award bonuses for higher scoring
But can only work if all stadiums were under a roof
Weather conditions would stuff up things
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Dutchy wrote:Please Freo keep this under 40 [-o<

My 3 last same game multis have gone.
Rockcliff 20 touches.(19)
Lynch 2 goals (misses from goal square)
Robbie Gray any time goal (runs into open goal, dribble kick, hits post)

Should have waited until Round 7 as a wise man once suggested on here.

( Thanks Mal)
Last edited by Sheik Yerbouti on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Chatting with my lad yesterday, he is 25 going on 26. Told me he has not watched even 1 game of footy this season. Now this is a bloke who knew every player, and I mean every player in the AFL, let alone his team (Essendon) 10 years ago. Followed blokes through the draft/trade. Years ago I could ask him a club, and the players #, not only did he know who it was, he knew what # they went in the draft!

If we have blokes like him (his generation) losing interest in the game, then the game really is stuffed.

My lad is the same although he is 14 going on 15, 3 years ago he'd want to collect all the cards, right into fantasy footy and would buy all the books to go along with it, he lost interest last season.

He's got a 17 year old girlfriend so that may have something to do with the lack of interest this season.

He's been Yoko'd
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:16 pm

mal wrote:Good logic to award bonuses for higher scoring

Not true at all Mal, i think it has been proven Marvel has just as lower scoring games as anywhere else. Bulldogs/Giants game on the weekend perfect example. Luck of the draw, but at the same time POrt and FReo had rain and it wasnt the lowest scoring game
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:17 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

First one to 120 wins.

Dont mind it, if teams want to keep their players fresher get there as quick as possible
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby LMA » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:40 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
mal wrote:Good logic to award bonuses for higher scoring

Not true at all Mal, i think it has been proven Marvel has just as lower scoring games as anywhere else. Bulldogs/Giants game on the weekend perfect example. Luck of the draw, but at the same time POrt and FReo had rain and it wasnt the lowest scoring game

Yes in the current scheme of things but with your proposal the game will become more attacking and inevitably will advantage the games not subject to weather. Marvel stadium, case in point.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby LMA » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:44 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Chatting with my lad yesterday, he is 25 going on 26. Told me he has not watched even 1 game of footy this season. Now this is a bloke who knew every player, and I mean every player in the AFL, let alone his team (Essendon) 10 years ago. Followed blokes through the draft/trade. Years ago I could ask him a club, and the players #, not only did he know who it was, he knew what # they went in the draft!

If we have blokes like him (his generation) losing interest in the game, then the game really is stuffed.

My lad is the same although he is 14 going on 15, 3 years ago he'd want to collect all the cards, right into fantasy footy and would buy all the books to go along with it, he lost interest last season.

He's got a 17 year old girlfriend so that may have something to do with the lack of interest this season.

He a bit young to be a Step Dad, eh ;)
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL