Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:17 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:Buzza, Hayes, Garner, Drew, Atley, Burgoyne, Woodcock, Patmore, Grundy, Frederick, Cox, Pasini.

Where do these guys get to play with no PA in the SANFL?!

They are training as a group only. Makes it tough for them to get into the side at any stage this year you'd think.

Having said that, I couldn't see any of them other than Garner, Drew or Cox getting a game yet.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:26 pm

Booney wrote:They are training as a group only. Makes it tough for them to get into the side at any stage this year you'd think.
Having said that, I couldn't see any of them other than Garner, Drew or Cox getting a game yet.

That sucks, effectively forced out of playing football for the year for matters out of their control.. although it would be backwards, why not let the small number of them play in the SANFL or reserves comp at various clubs?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:29 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:They are training as a group only. Makes it tough for them to get into the side at any stage this year you'd think.

That sucks, effectively forced out of playing football for the year for matters out of their control.. although it would be backwards, why not let the small number of them play in the SANFL or reserves comp at various clubs?

Can't, not with the AFL COVID bubble. Can't even get pissed at a mates place, fall asleep on another mates lounge and then go out the wrong door for a piss half naked anymore! :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby David Brent » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:36 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:Buzza, Hayes, Garner, Drew, Atley, Burgoyne, Woodcock, Patmore, Grundy, Frederick, Cox, Pasini.

They are training as a group only. Makes it tough for them to get into the side at any stage this year you'd think.

With predicted list size reductions these blokes would be looking at each other thinking fair chance a fair chunk of us wont be here next year.

Did the other 3 hub clubs take all their players or leave a group behind like Port?
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:37 pm

David Brent wrote:
Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

With predicted list size reductions these blokes would be looking at each other thinking fair chance a fair chunk of us wont be here next year.

Did the other 3 hub clubs take all their players or leave a group behind like Port?
Especially if your contract expires this year....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:56 pm

David Brent wrote:
Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I think West Coast and Adelaide did, not sure about Fremantle.

As Caro said on FC last night, might have been a good move by Port, can focus in more on the 22 that are playing and only have 10 left overs to keep chomping at the bit. The 12 or so mentioned above could be a real distraction if they figure they're no chance of playing. Might be what WCE are finding, the players aren't as focused as they should be.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:15 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Heard last night Port only took 32 up to the GC, must have missed this, is there a list of those they didnt take? Boon?

Those who travelled :

1. Tom Jonas
2. Sam Powell-Pepper
3. Ryan Burton
4. Todd Marshall
5. Dan Houston
6. Steven Motlop
7. Brad Ebert
8. Hamish Hartlett
9. Robbie Gray
10. Travis Boak
11. Tom Rockliff
12. Trent McKenzie
14. Miles Bergman
15. Karl Amon
16. Ollie Wines
17. Tom Clurey
18. Zak Butters
19. Mitch Georgiades
20. Connor Rozee
21. Xavier Duursma
22. Charlie Dixon
23. Jack Watts
24. Kane Farrell
26. Riley Bonner
29. Scott Lycett
32. Sam Mayes
33. Darcy Byrne-Jones
34. Dylan Williams
38. Peter Ladhams
39. Justin Westhoff
40. Jarrod Lienert
44. Jackson Mead
50. Cam Sutcliffe

Left behind :

Buzza, Hayes, Garner, Drew, Atley, Burgoyne, Woodcock, Patmore, Grundy, Frederick, Cox, Pasini.

I hear Port are looking to get Ambrose over from the Bombers to work closely with Garner and Marshall.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby DOC » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Think that Port are Holding something over Essendon on this
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby RB » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:24 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:We've played West Coast and Fremantle, so no trip to Perth (?).

WCE was a Port home game - so may still play then in Perth?
The AFL have said that each team is only playing everyone once, i.e. 17 games.

That is, if they don't change their mind.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby RB » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Heard last night Port only took 32 up to the GC, must have missed this, is there a list of those they didnt take? Boon?

Those who travelled :

1. Tom Jonas
2. Sam Powell-Pepper
3. Ryan Burton
4. Todd Marshall
5. Dan Houston
6. Steven Motlop
7. Brad Ebert
8. Hamish Hartlett
9. Robbie Gray
10. Travis Boak
11. Tom Rockliff
12. Trent McKenzie
14. Miles Bergman
15. Karl Amon
16. Ollie Wines
17. Tom Clurey
18. Zak Butters
19. Mitch Georgiades
20. Connor Rozee
21. Xavier Duursma
22. Charlie Dixon
23. Jack Watts
24. Kane Farrell
26. Riley Bonner
29. Scott Lycett
32. Sam Mayes
33. Darcy Byrne-Jones
34. Dylan Williams
38. Peter Ladhams
39. Justin Westhoff
40. Jarrod Lienert
44. Jackson Mead
50. Cam Sutcliffe

Left behind :

Buzza, Hayes, Garner, Drew, Atley, Burgoyne, Woodcock, Patmore, Grundy, Frederick, Cox, Pasini.

I hear Port are looking to get Ambrose over from the Bombers to work closely with Garner and Marshall.
Sounds like a formidable combination.

Good thing they don't play AFL games at the WACA anymore.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:27 pm

I pledged my full membership for 2020, just got an email from the club with a $70 Port Store voucher on board.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dirty dog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Booney wrote:I pledged my full membership for 2020, just got an email from the club with a $70 Port Store voucher on board.

Mines $100. It costs me $70 to drive down there :roll:
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Booney wrote:We've played Adelaide, so no Showdown to come.

We've played West Coast and Fremantle, so no trip to Perth (?).

We've played Gold Coast and this week Brisbane, so no trip to Queensland (?).

We'll play GWS after a weekend back in Adelaide leaving Sydney and the 10 Victorian sides to play.

Given I doubt we'll head into Melbourne to play St Kilda, it looks increasingly unlikely, I think our only trip away from home will be to play Sydney on the Gold Coast or perhaps in Sydney if restrictions between SA/NSW change.

With people from WA permitted to enter SA without quarantine it's fair to assume as the Victorian based sides work their way through WA they'll come through Adelaide on the return leg.

Bar Sydney away it's conceivable Port could host all the Victorian based sides in Adelaide and it's also conceivable to think we'll play them after they've been in Perth for two weeks and are heading back to Melbourne via Adelaide.

Cant see Port losing it from here.
Will finish top
GF will be in WA i reckon, only thing that stops Port winning it is if WC get on a roll with them likely to play the rest of the season at home too
KOTD
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:20 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

We'll play GWS after a weekend back in Adelaide leaving Sydney and the 10 Victorian sides to play.

Given I doubt we'll head into Melbourne to play St Kilda, it looks increasingly unlikely, I think our only trip away from home will be to play Sydney on the Gold Coast or perhaps in Sydney if restrictions between SA/NSW change.

With people from WA permitted to enter SA without quarantine it's fair to assume as the Victorian based sides work their way through WA they'll come through Adelaide on the return leg.

Bar Sydney away it's conceivable Port could host all the Victorian based sides in Adelaide and it's also conceivable to think we'll play them after they've been in Perth for two weeks and are heading back to Melbourne via Adelaide.

Will finish top
GF will be in WA i reckon, only thing that stops Port winning it is if WC get on a roll with them likely to play the rest of the season at home too
KOTD
GF in Sydney if not at MCG IMO
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:34 pm

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Will finish top
KOTD

I think it comes down to crowds. more likely that WA doesnt have any more issues. NSW could become like Victoria at any time IMO
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby stan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:40 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Will finish top
KOTD

I think it comes down to crowds. more likely that WA doesnt have any more issues. NSW could become like Victoria at any time IMO
NSW are just one guard rooting a quarentened guest away from bringing Victoria.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:51 pm

It shaped up as the first genuine test Port Adelaide would face in 2020 and no, it’s not the hub, it’s the Brisbane Lions who are shaping up as one of the teams to beat this year. Given they’ll play most of their games in Queensland and the rest in Sydney they look cheery ripe to be a contender. I can’t say Port Adelaide were particularly disappointing on Saturday night, we barely had the ball enough to make a mess of it such was the pressure Brisbane applied when we had it and how clean they were with options aplenty when they had it.

I spoke about pressure on the ball and the ball carrier last week and the tables were turned on us Saturday night as the Lions upped the pressure. We had enough of the ball in the first quarter, enough to have had 7 scoring shots to 3 yet still trail by a point at quarter time. That pressure was up to start with, 16 tackles to 9 while leading clearances by 7 ( 11-4 ) and contested ball ( 29-22 ).
With our first 5 scoring shots registering behinds we didn’t get any reward at all for our work and there were some worrying signs that the Brisbane forwards were finding space to work in as they made it look much easier to kick goals. That’s how it played out for the rest of the night.

Defensively we had one of the worst nights our back 6 has had for some time. Brisbane isolated Clurey away from the aid of Jonas in the aerial contests and he got found out a couple of times, McKenzie didn’t have much of an impact as he too was drawn out of the play and with the talls failing to bring the ball to ground the likes of Hartlett and DBJ were given very little opportunity to make the ball move out of defence quickly while Bonner mounted a case to have Burton take his place in the side. Brisbanes 3 talls were too mobile and simply too tall for our back line, particularly when the midfield for Brisbane didn’t have the pressure applied that we would normally want to see.

The second quarter had the game won at half time, 6.5 to 1.1 and if not for some smart work by Butters just before half time we would have gone goalless for the quarter. While we’ve added some pace to our midfield most Port fans would say playing both Wines and Rockliff at the same time makes us look slow, we certainly did look that on the weekend. And one dimensional, Brisbane have a few 190cm midfielders who can run, they’re a very damaging unit.

Clearances were in our favour ( 36-32 ) but they were 13-5 to Brisbane in the centre square and those we did win were often snuffed out by our poor execution of the next possession. Those who are normally fairly clean in Amon, Byrne-Jones, Rozee, Bonner, Houston and Farrell were all around or under 70% disposal efficiency. When we did have it we didn’t do anything with it.

Night mare of a night for the forwards and none of them, bar Butters and Ebert in patches could be satisfied with the ball delivery or the way they used it once they go it. We were simply outplayed by a better unit on the night who played some exciting football. I hope we get to face them again, it will mean we’re playing finals if we do because they sure as hell will be.

Boon’s best – Boak, Butters, Houston, Ebert, Wines

Changes – Given Burton is fit I expect he’ll replace Bonner who has been a little quiet, Lienert could be an option behind the ball as GWS play Himmelberg, Cameron and Finlayson forward. I’d like to see Rozee spend some more time in the midfield as he’s been down for a couple of weeks and that might mean a Rockliff or SPP make way, perhaps Sam Mayes could find himself on a wing with Farrell playing more forward.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:33 pm

Booney wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Can't, not with the AFL COVID bubble. Can't even get pissed at a mates place, fall asleep on another mates lounge and then go out the wrong door for a piss half naked anymore! :D

**** sake. Can't even *allegedly* indecently assault anyone either. ******* snowflakes.....

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby mal » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:18 pm

Dear punters
Theres a pacer about to start racing soon in SA
The pacers name is BOAK
mal