SANFL 2020 Season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

Postby Groucho » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:08 am

I hope you're not counting WA v CD as a thriller. Very disappointing and a night mare.

I did a bit of a count and CD had 7 switches i.e. short kicks back and forth across goal etc which contributed 3 - 3 to WA score. Central also had 13 kicks and 5 Hand balls that went to Westies with 1 of the hand ball resulting in a goal. West kicked 9 and hand balled once to Central.

I don't guarantee full accuracy of these stats but they would be very close.

Hate this stupid Victorian AFL style of game. AFL coaches have a lot to answer for. Also why do we have this stupid last touch rule? Get rid of it.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby smac » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:40 am

Groucho wrote:I hope you're not counting WA v CD as a thriller. Very disappointing and a night mare.

I did a bit of a count and CD had 7 switches i.e. short kicks back and forth across goal etc which contributed 3 - 3 to WA score. Central also had 13 kicks and 5 Hand balls that went to Westies with 1 of the hand ball resulting in a goal. West kicked 9 and hand balled once to Central.

Hate this stupid Victorian AFL style of game. AFL coaches have a lot to answer for. Also why do we have this stupid last touch rule? Get rid of it.

Unless a close last quarter where the lead changed hands and the result wasn't know for certain until the siren went isn't a thriller, it was one.

Your frustration (which I share) doesn't mean the SANFL would not be thrilled with the games as a whole, I imagine.

We've been our own worst enemy so far, some stuff that's quickly fixable, some will take some time. We will win some games and there is an air of enthusiasm around the young squad that hasn't been evident for a while.

Be great if we did away with draws, they really suck.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Groucho » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:56 am

smac wrote:

Yes totally agree.

2 qtrs of 5 mins each extra time. Then either 2nd extra qtr doesn't finish until a score wins the game or else set shots from 50m line until there is a winner.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby Spargo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:11 pm

Groucho wrote:
smac wrote:

Yes totally agree.

2 qtrs of 5 mins each extra time. Then either 2nd extra qtr doesn't finish until a score wins the game or else set shots from 50m line until there is a winner.

I agree draws suck but totally disagree with extra time. You’ve had the best part of two hours to win the game, if you can’t do it in that time well...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5454 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:14 pm

Spargo wrote:
Groucho wrote:
smac wrote:

Yes totally agree.

I agree draws suck but totally disagree with extra time. You’ve had the best part of two hours to win the game, if you can’t do it in that time well...

I must be in the minority here but I quite like the concept of draws. Neither side truly deserved to win yesterday... but neither side truly deserved to lose either. West would have been hard done by to lose after their great start, whilst Central would have been hard done by to lose after their great comeback. I happily accept the draw... especially as it now means that Norwood are bottom ;)
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Hazydog » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:14 pm

Groucho wrote:I hope you're not counting WA v CD as a thriller. Very disappointing and a night mare.

My dear Groucho.... this stupid style of football you refer to involving switching play was a major reason we won 9 premierships! Ok - it helps when you have personnel who don’t bite off more than they can chew and turn it over in your back half I grant you... but let’s remember it took Stewie and Jonah a few years to develop the confidence and experience needed to execute. We probably won’t play finals this year, but I am really excited with some of the talent that is currently coming through and being given an opportunity, and that’s just seeing the first two games. So have faith my friend, we are building something really good here. And just quietly- the two latest recruits Wild and Toner both looked very handy in the ressies and it won’t surprise to see them get a chance sooner rather than later.
As for comments re disliking the draw- I too am in the minority as I think if two teams can’t take their opportunities to post a winning score in 2 hours then let’s call it a day and share the points. How many times in a nail biter do we hear “ neither team deserved to lose that game”? That’s usually when a draw is a fair result in my eyes..
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Groucho » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:22 pm

Hazydog wrote:

My dear Groucho.... this stupid style of football you refer to involving switching play was a major reason we won 9 premierships! Ok - it helps when you have personnel who don’t bite off more than they can chew and turn it over in your back half I grant you... but let’s remember it took Stewie and Jonah a few years to develop the confidence and experience needed to execute. We probably won’t play finals this year, but I am really excited with some of the talent that is currently coming through and being given an opportunity, and that’s just seeing the first two games. So have faith my friend, we are building something really good here. And just quietly- the two latest recruits Wild and Toner both looked very handy in the ressies and it won’t surprise to see them get a chance sooner rather than later.
As for comments re disliking the draw- I too am in the minority as I think if two teams can’t take their opportunities to post a winning score in 2 hours then let’s call it a day and share the points. How many times in a nail biter do we hear “ neither team deserved to lose that game”? That’s usually when a draw is a fair result in my eyes..

Fair enough. I respect your opinion. As you say I think we had exceptional players in the Premiership years that were extremely capable of executing this style of play. Yes we do have very good players and exciting ones emerging. But I have never liked draws, as i said previously I consider them the same as a loss. That is we didn't win. The feeling is just flat when it is a draw, no cheering no clapping. We will agree to differ. I take your point about exciting players and times ahead.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby Grenville » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:29 pm

Spargo wrote:
Groucho wrote:
smac wrote:

Yes totally agree.

Both teams had their chances to claim full points, neither did so tough shit.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Hazydog » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:11 pm

Cheers Groucho. Back at the Ponderosa this week. Bring your brolly!
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Doddy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 am

I think the SANFL missed an opportunity with the Centrals v West draw - to play both club songs simultaneously after the game.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Groucho » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Doddy wrote:I think the SANFL missed an opportunity with the Centrals v West draw - to play both club songs simultaneously after the game.

Ours is different (better) because we're a WINNING team at Centrals whereas Westies are just a HAPPY team. :D
Subtle but important difference in the lyrics.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby Psyber » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Spargo wrote:
Groucho wrote:
smac wrote:Be great if we did away with draws, they really suck.

Yes totally agree.

Lets not turn football into Soccer or tennis - keep the draw and share the points as we do now, since both teams have worked equally for them.
It is pointless if two teams struggle to win for the whole match, and despite the struggle draw, and then it is decided on a few minutes of extra time.
You may as well toss a coin in the first place and not bother with the match!
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:04 pm

Crowds capped at 1000

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby Groucho » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Psyber wrote:
Spargo wrote:
Groucho wrote:
smac wrote:Be great if we did away with draws, they really suck.

Yes totally agree.

Lets not turn football into Soccer or tennis - keep the draw and share the points as we do now, since both teams have worked equally for them.
It is pointless if two teams struggle to win for the whole match, and despite the struggle draw, and then it is decided on a few minutes of extra time.
You may as well toss a coin in the first place and not bother with the match!

OK. I get that, but it still feels like nothing when you draw. There was virtually total silence when the siren went on Sunday. Neither West nor Central fans cheered or clapped, just total silence.

It's so frustrating and unenjoyable.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby Aerie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:20 pm

What are the admin at the SANFL doing? Why would they not have already had the COVID management plans in place and ticked off so more than 1000 people could be at the venues from this weekend?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:26 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:27 pm

Aerie wrote:What are the admin at the SANFL doing? Why would they not have already had the COVID management plans in place and ticked off so more than 1000 people could be at the venues from this weekend?

Grassroots clubs have been told we can have up to 1,000 without an approved plan, but SANFL would have had to apply for more than this, id suggest SA Health are just being extra cautious due to the VIC's
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Glenelg home match ticket holder from Mount Gambier rocks up at 11.30am, oh sorry, you're the 1001st person you have to go home.
Hate this haphazard approach to it.
For the record I'm a season ticket holder x 2 but will give them to someone else this week, don't like Glenelg at the best of times let alone if I had to get there early.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stampy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:42 pm

1000 is riduclous, 2k i could agree with but 1000??!!
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby stampy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:43 pm

Wedgie wrote:Glenelg home match ticket holder from Mount Gambier rocks up at 11.30am, oh sorry, you're the 1001st person you have to go home.
Hate this haphazard approach to it.
For the record I'm a season ticket holder x 2 but will give them to someone else this week, don't like Glenelg at the best of times let alone if I had to get there early.

cmon wedgie you used to love the snouts!
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL