4%
SPOC
13%
Unley Mercedes Jets
2%

Total votes : 45

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2020

Postby jo172 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:16 am

Can't remember the scores but Hahndorf beat PNU by 4 points in what looked to be a pretty good hit out for both
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:11 am

jo172 wrote:Can't remember the scores but Hahndorf beat PNU by 4 points in what looked to be a pretty good hit out for both

Hope they didnt wear their usual jumpers
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:52 am

Dutchy wrote:
jo172 wrote:Can't remember the scores but Hahndorf beat PNU by 4 points in what looked to be a pretty good hit out for both

Hope they didnt wear their usual jumpers

Would love to see Hahndorf play Div 1 Amateurs for a year. Be fascinating to see how they would go.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:50 pm

Fair effort for Brighton to knock over PNU today. As a club coming from the SFL what they have achieved in the last 4 years is remarkable. Some of the strongest football clubs in SA not too long ago existed in the SFL and we are now starting to see some of these clubs who have changed leagues have a little resurgence. All clubs who have changed have at least had a bit of a taste of success and these clubs have also been a great addition to the league.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Point man » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:11 am

Brighton know what it takes to be in the top flight as they have been there before. They were a good side in the mid 90’s in div 1
before leaving the league..Anyone know the reason they left in the first place
Point man
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Mawson Lakes

Postby Down the Hill » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:08 pm

Juniors and a little disillusioned with the changes to SAAFL after SAFA and CDFA folded. But the main reason was juniors. Public school high school footy died in the Glenelg/South/Sturt area at the end of 1993 and the Metro South Junior Comp was still 5 or 6 years from being formed. We fielded junior teams in SFL from 94 to 96 and made the decision to move the whole club to SFL in 1997. Absolutely no regrets with this decision for most of the journey. Some may say we should have returned to the SAAFL earlier than we did but the planets needed to align with our entry division and a few other things. The formation of the SANFL Juniors Comp the year before our entry to SAAFL also helped.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Computer Crashed » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:51 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Juniors and a little disillusioned with the changes to SAAFL after SAFA and CDFA folded. But the main reason was juniors. Public school high school footy died in the Glenelg/South/Sturt area at the end of 1993 and the Metro South Junior Comp was still 5 or 6 years from being formed. We fielded junior teams in SFL from 94 to 96 and made the decision to move the whole club to SFL in 1997. Absolutely no regrets with this decision for most of the journey. Some may say we should have returned to the SAAFL earlier than we did but the planets needed to align with our entry division and a few other things. The formation of the SANFL Juniors Comp the year before our entry to SAAFL also helped.

Well done, like you said it's a journey, looks like the decisions made have been correct.
Was always a challenge playing Brighton back in the SAFA days.
SAAFL is the leading Ammo comp these days.
Enjoy all.
Computer Crashed
Reserves

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby BDU11 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:55 am

Ive seen 3 games over the last 3 weeks.

Trial - Unley - Brighton - Upon seeing that demolition in the first half I was sitting there going. Did Brighton top up on SFL players after they announced they wouldnt play (before backflipping). They were dominant. But who knows whether either team were playing a graders in b grade and vice versa

Rd 1 - Prince Alfred - Goodwood - That was dominant by Prince Alfred. Lifted when challenged. Didnt look like theyve lost a step from their grand final team of last year.

Rd 2 - Brighton - Payneham - Brighton is obviously a better team. But I dont think theyve faced the pressure Payneham applied before. It forced Brighton into mistakes and it kept them in the game. By the end I was sitting there wanting a draw. Great game to watch. Payneham have obviously lost a few players from their premiership side (Unless Jolly, their ruckman and the stud CHB with long hair are all injured) so I dont think they'll make finals. But they could give a few teams a scare along the way.
BDU11
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:03 am

Down the Hill wrote:Juniors and a little disillusioned with the changes to SAAFL after SAFA and CDFA folded. But the main reason was juniors. Public school high school footy died in the Glenelg/South/Sturt area at the end of 1993 and the Metro South Junior Comp was still 5 or 6 years from being formed. We fielded junior teams in SFL from 94 to 96 and made the decision to move the whole club to SFL in 1997. Absolutely no regrets with this decision for most of the journey. Some may say we should have returned to the SAAFL earlier than we did but the planets needed to align with our entry division and a few other things. The formation of the SANFL Juniors Comp the year before our entry to SAAFL also helped.

Hey @Down The Hill, I watched your 15's play yesterday and in my 40 years of being involved in junior footy they would have to be the strongest, well drilled junior side I have seen, my lad's team is pretty talented but we got pantsed by 130 points, it was the closest anyone has got to them this season.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:56 am

That group has gone under the radar until this year because up to and including U14 if we have more than 1 team we divide them into equal ability squads as best we can. I think you've made positive comments previously about our policy on that.

But now in U15 we have an A and B team and if you look at the team list of the Division 1 team you can see some familiar "son's of" names. Several of those lads also very good junior basketballers which further adds to their skill set. A large chunk of that side will be the cornerstone of next years Glenelg U16 team and I'm sure several will press for U16 State selection.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 am

Down the Hill wrote:That group has gone under the radar until this year because up to and including U14 if we have more than 1 team we divide them into equal ability squads as best we can. I think you've made positive comments previously about our policy on that.

But now in U15 we have an A and B team and if you look at the team list of the Division 1 team you can see some familiar "son's of" names. Several of those lads also very good junior basketballers which further adds to their skill set. A large chunk of that side will be the cornerstone of next years Glenelg U16 team and I'm sure several will press for U16 State selection.

Yeah mate, I've monitored them for the past few seasons, two years ago they had two teams in div 1 and were very competitive, I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before they totally dominated.

I did notice some familiar names out there.

For sure, I'd imagine the Glenelg development squad will be filled with Brighton lads.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby beef » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:48 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:That group has gone under the radar until this year because up to and including U14 if we have more than 1 team we divide them into equal ability squads as best we can. I think you've made positive comments previously about our policy on that.

Yeah mate, I've monitored them for the past few seasons, two years ago they had two teams in div 1 and were very competitive, I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before they totally dominated.

For sure, I'd imagine the Glenelg development squad will be filled with Brighton lads.

Glenelg u/16 have won the last 4 SANFL premierships and probably would've won this years if not for Corona. They are amazing in that age bracket both metro & south east squads.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:55 pm

beef wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Glenelg u/16 have won the last 4 SANFL premierships and probably would've won this years if not for Corona. They are amazing in that age bracket both metro & south east squads.

I had the pleasure of Coaching that group of boys at Glenelg in the Under 13's and they went undefeated and were very strong. I felt like they would have made it another 16s title for the streak (i thought they were going for 6 in 2020). They were stronger than the group the year before them who managed to win the title in 2019 at 16s level. They were also very good though. Brenton Hole did an amazing job at the Bays and his legacy will long be remembered.

I noticed last year that the Glenelg 14s Coached by now GFC CEO Justin Scripps had about 10 or more BDOS kids playing in it and the last of the boys i Coached as bottom ages. A very talented group and when they play together at club level would no doubt be a real force. As soon as they come and play on my side of town i will be sure to check them out.

I have long beat the drum of the fact that the only way to compete with the college clubs as a suburban one is to have strong juniors and you see this trend taking shape more than ever.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:25 am

Is anyone from the Raggies on here able to tell me if they will have a team for the C grade on the weekend? Its going to be nice to finally get to a game in 2020, i would love to see a triple header between the two traditional rivals. Always a great day when these two lock horns.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Is it just coincidence or good planning that Goodwood and Brighton are both having reno's during a shortened season?

Had to go to both grounds on the weekend, Goodwood's usual 6 parking spaces were taken up by shipping containers, Brighton's was hectic but not as bad.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Trader » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Is it just coincidence or good planning that Goodwood and Brighton are both having reno's during a shortened season?

Had to go to both grounds on the weekend, Goodwood's usual 6 parking spaces were taken up by shipping containers, Brighton's was hectic but not as bad.

Agreed LM, Brighton and Goodwood are to blame for Covid, lets boot them out of the comp as punishment.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:01 am

Trader wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Is it just coincidence or good planning that Goodwood and Brighton are both having reno's during a shortened season?

Agreed LM, Brighton and Goodwood are to blame for Covid, lets boot them out of the comp as punishment.

I look forward to going to both venues once completed.

I forgot to take a dog to Goodwood though, it seems as though everyone has 9 dogs and leashes are illegal, there were dogs running on the oval during play and several dog altercations.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:21 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Trader wrote:

I forgot to take a dog to Goodwood though, it seems as though everyone has 9 dogs and leashes are illegal, there were dogs running on the oval during play and several dog altercations.

I'm sure the locals would tell you it's first and foremost a dog park which they permit football and cricket to be played on.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:57 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Trader wrote:

I'm sure the locals would tell you it's first and foremost a dog park which they permit football and cricket to be played on.
Closely followed by a fitness park. Believe the fences were up around the old Grandstand days before demolition and people were still attempting to do stair runs!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:13 am

We had our first night of access to the new changerooms and upstairs clubrooms last night. The surrounds to the new clubrooms will still resemble a bit of a construction site for the rest of the season whilst the staged outdoor upgrade occurs. The old clubrooms should be demolished next week and the next priority is new cricket nets where the old clubrooms currently stand. Then comes a complete re-surface of the car park areas, further concreting along the oval side of the new clubrooms (just gravel and dirt between the veranda and oval at the moment) and then the driveway around the oval being re-surfaced along with new playground, fitness stations etc. And we will also be getting a long overdue storage shed for football and cricket to share.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League