SANFL 2020 Season

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:13 pm

SANFL has announced the fixtures for Rounds 5, 6 and 7 of the SANFL Statewide Super League and all remaining minor round matchups for season 2020.

SANFL General Manager Football Matt Duldig said although dates and venues for Rounds 5-7 were confirmed, there was the possibility for minor time changes to accommodate Channel 7 broadcast matches as a result of the fluid nature of the 2020 AFL fixture.

“While we usually work in line with AFL fixtures, that obviously isn’t possible this season,” Mr Duldig said.

“It is important, however, to provide SANFL Clubs with surety of future rounds to assist with match day planning and to give players, volunteers, members and supporters the opportunity to plan ahead and on that basis Clubs were happy to work around some minor changes to match times moving forward.”

Channel 7 broadcast games from Round 5 onwards will be confirmed following the release of the AFL fixture.

Match ups and venues have been confirmed for the remainder of the Statewide Super League Season while dates and times for the next block of matches will be released by SANFL in the coming weeks.

See below fixture for Rounds 5, 6 and 7 of the 2020 SANFL Statewide Super League season.

Also announced today were the fixtures for the two remaining minor rounds of the Statewide Super Women’s League, as well as fixtures for the Statewide Super League Reserves and U18 Torrens University Cup.

A highlight on Saturday, August 1 will be the League’s first ever quadruple header, featuring a full day of football at Hisense Stadium to showcase the Women’s League (West Adelaide v South Adelaide) before the West Adelaide v Norwood matches in the Reserves, Men’s League and U18s.

Several triple headers also will be held across Rounds Five and Six of the Statewide Super League as a final opportunity in the closing rounds of the SANFLW to showcase SA’s female talent alongside the elite Men’s League.

**All printable competition fixtures are available on the link below.

2020 SANFL STATEWIDE SUPER LEAGUE

ROUND 5

Saturday, July 25

Central District v North Adelaide | X Convenience Oval | 2:10pm

Glenelg v Woodville-West Torrens | ACH Group Stadium | 2:10pm

South Adelaide v West Adelaide | Flinders University Stadium | 2:10pm

Sunday, July 26

Sturt v Norwood | Peter Motley Oval | 2:10pm

ROUND 6

Saturday, August 1

Woodville-West Torrens v Central District | Maughan Thiem Kia Oval | 2:10pm

North Adelaide v South Adelaide | Prospect oval | 2:10pm

West Adelaide v Norwood | Hisense Stadium | 1:10pm

Sunday, August 2

Glenelg v Sturt | ACH Group Stadium | 2:10pm

ROUND 7

Saturday, August 8

Central District v Glenelg | X Convenience Oval | 2:10pm

Woodville-West Torrens v West Adelaide | Maughan Thiem Kia Oval | 2:10pm

North Adelaide v Sturt | Prospect Oval | 2:10pm

Sunday, August 9

Norwood v South Adelaide | Coopers Stadium | 2:10
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:15 pm

Finally the SANFL listens to Norths request for Saturday games.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby robranisgod » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:00 am

am Bays wrote:Law 20.2 needs to be read here.

Not up to the umpire to determine if the player understands/is aware that he has a free but elects to play on to advantage.

Players determine if they want to play on to advantage after a free kick, all the umpire is required to determine is,
1. Is play continuous?
2. Is it taken from in line or behind the “Mark”

Umpire got it right, player got it wrong

South coach needs to brush up on his understanding of the Laws of footy.

Now the real question is should Australian Football change their definition of advantage to that of Rugby where the Referee signals a penalty but allows the team to play on for a period of time to determine if they can score a try but then bring it back to the spot of the infringement.

Someone in the know at the Bay on Saturday said that a free was not paid to the South player.
I only saw the incident on the Digital Pass and the commentator said that a free had been paid, so unless the umpire comes clean, who knows exactly what happened.
Was the umpire selected to officiate at League level this week.
One thing for sure is that the result won't be changed.
Last edited by robranisgod on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:04 am

Wedgie wrote:Finally the SANFL listens to Norths request for Saturday games.

Fantastic news.

Hopefully the crowd restrictions are lifted for this weekend.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby mal » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Having looked at the incident, the ump was on and off the screen
It did look like no decision was paid- the ump and some at the ground would know
If the ump didnt award a free kick, then it explains why an advantage was not paid

Once again, Im guessing
Ive heard 2 different versions of events ,
RIGs post is similar to what Ive heard
An erstwhile GL barracker has stated there was a free paid
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby Doddy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:50 pm

I've seen 3 games now and still waiting for the umpiring to come up to scratch ... mind you as a Centrals fan I haven't seen our player skills improve yet, we still seem to have trial game skill level.

Things that are shitting me so far from the umps:
    throwing the ball. seen it called once from a tackle, but South would have dished out 6+ on Saturday under the pack.
    push in the back. South's chasing players would have done 5+ instead of tackling, none awarded. Yet a South player backing into a pack was awarded after body contact.
    25m penalties. None seen for delaying the player who marked, even when the ball spilled. Some given for encroachment in protected area, 1 on Saturday where Goodrem was asked to give an extra 5m for a defensive line mark and gave 4
    holding the man when it's clearly the tackle that dislodges the ball.
    and for a long time now - they seem to ignore the traditional "deliberate out of bounds" now that they have the last touch rule.

Centrals are always a good tackling team, and I get nervous if I see obvious holding the ball decisions not paid early in the game, it tends to be a sign of how the game will be umpired. It just seems to neutralise one of our strengths for the game. So far this year not seeing good tackles rewarded much.

Most of what's going wrong for us so far is us, but umpiring to the rules we've trained for would be nice too.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:53 pm

Doddy wrote:I've seen 3 games now and still waiting for the umpiring to come up to scratch ...

I've seen probably over 1000 games and I'm still waiting.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Reddeer » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:16 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Doddy wrote:I've seen 3 games now and still waiting for the umpiring to come up to scratch ...

I've seen probably over 1000 games and I'm still waiting.

Umpiring is terrible in all competitions. Worse in the afl. 3 or 4 umpires reeks inconsistencies and the holding the ball decisions are what is destroying the game. For heavens sake if a ball winner gets the ball and then 5 players pile on top of him just pay in the back. He won the ball and edserces some sort of protection. In most case the play who has won the ball and is at the bottom of the pack has no chance in the world to get it out. The umpire circles around and then usually pays what the players standing around are screaming for. A free for "in the back" is non existent these days
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Groucho » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:21 pm

Also hate how they throw the ball up at 45 degree angle instead of straight up.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby DOC » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:47 pm

45 degrees? I don't think that is even possible.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby DOC » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Doddy wrote:I've seen 3 games now and still waiting for the umpiring to come up to scratch ... mind you as a Centrals fan I haven't seen our player skills improve yet, we still seem to have trial game skill level.

throwing the ball. seen it called once from a tackle,was paid 6 times on Saturday 3 each but South would have dished out 6+ on Saturday under the pack.more like 20
    push in the back. South's chasing players would have done 5+ instead of tackling, none awarded.you got 2 on Saturday and t Yet a South player backing into a pack was awarded after body contact.Irrelevant. pushing in the back is a free.
    25m penalties. None seen for delaying the player who marked, even when the ball spilled.So the one to Butcher which he then goaled was what then? Some given for encroachment in protected area, 1 on Saturday where Goodrem was asked to give an extra 5m for a defensive line mark and gave 4Yep he failed to go back to the mark
    holding the man when it's clearly the tackle that dislodges the ball.Well if the tackler dislodges the ball then he has to stop tackling
    and for a long time now - they seem to ignore the traditional "deliberate out of bounds" now that they have the last touch rule.Well you did do that a lot on Saturday but all teams do. Umpires are pretty good on it.

Centrals are always a good tackling team, and I get nervous if I see obvious holding the ball decisions not paid early in the game, it tends to be a sign of how the game will be umpired. It just seems to neutralise one of our strengths for the game. So far this year not seeing good tackles rewarded much.

Most of what's going wrong for us so far is us, but umpiring to the rules we've trained for would be nice too.

Umpiring is not costing Centrals matches. Umpires do make mistakes. Imagine if they made as many as players do.
DOC
Coach

Postby Groucho » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:45 pm

He did say it was our players and not the umpires to blame.
Umpires throw the ball up diagonally and not straight. You're probably right it's not 45 degrees. Around the ground mainly they curl it off their fingers as the run backwards and it doesn't go straight up.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:53 pm

So how did the 1000 count go, any games go over & if so what time was the cut off?
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby DOC » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:57 pm

they listed Elizabeth at a 1000 (in the paper) but I thought it would have been closer to 500.

No games cut off.
DOC
Coach

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Thanks DOC just heard Glenelg/Chooks was 750.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby mal » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:10 pm

SA 3 games in 2020

WT...3-4...3-4...3-6....10-8
SA...1-3....5-6...6-8....11-8

SA...3-1...5-2.....7-4.....14-8
GL..4-1...11-5..14-7...15-7

CD...1-1....4-1....4-2....5-4
SA...2-4.....3-7...5-11..11-12

The stunning thing is the goals in the last quarter compared to the other quarters

18 first 3 quarters
18 last quarters
36 total

WWT have also scored well in last quarters

21 first 3 quarters
17 last quarters
38 total
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby blueandwhite » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:16 pm

So by the completion of Rd 7 South will have played 2 home games......must be fair run of home games in the second half of the season to come :roll:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Spargo » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 pm

blueandwhite wrote:So by the completion of Rd 7 South will have played 2 home games......must be fair run of home games in the second half of the season to come :roll:

With the form you’re currently in, surely that’s a good thing?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Brett » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 pm

blueandwhite wrote:So by the completion of Rd 7 South will have played 2 home games......must be fair run of home games in the second half of the season to come :roll:

Trying to stay safe with social distancing . Safe bet.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Doddy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:03 pm

DOC wrote:
Doddy wrote:I've seen 3 games now and still waiting for the umpiring to come up to scratch ... mind you as a Centrals fan I haven't seen our player skills improve yet, we still seem to have trial game skill level.

throwing the ball. seen it called once from a tackle,was paid 6 times on Saturday 3 each but South would have dished out 6+ on Saturday under the pack.more like 20
    push in the back. South's chasing players would have done 5+ instead of tackling, none awarded.you got 2 on Saturday and t Yet a South player backing into a pack was awarded after body contact.Irrelevant. pushing in the back is a free.
    25m penalties. None seen for delaying the player who marked, even when the ball spilled.So the one to Butcher which he then goaled was what then? Some given for encroachment in protected area, 1 on Saturday where Goodrem was asked to give an extra 5m for a defensive line mark and gave 4Yep he failed to go back to the mark
    holding the man when it's clearly the tackle that dislodges the ball.Well if the tackler dislodges the ball then he has to stop tackling
    and for a long time now - they seem to ignore the traditional "deliberate out of bounds" now that they have the last touch rule.Well you did do that a lot on Saturday but all teams do. Umpires are pretty good on it.

Umpiring is not costing Centrals matches. Umpires do make mistakes. Imagine if they made as many as players do.

Mate, I guess we saw the game differently which is to be expected. Your last point is a cracker though, thanks for that. I'm going to try and view umpiring through that lens in future.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL