Round 4 South v Sturt Saturday 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 4 South v Sturt Saturday 1410

Postby DOC » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:55 am

SOUTH

South Adelaide could take an unchanged side into its match against Sturt at Flinders University Stadium.

Midfielder Nic Schwarz (ankle) was a late withdrawal from the Panthers’ 44-point win against Central in Round 3 and the 29-year-old has been named as one of three inclusions on the extended interchange bench.

Schwarz has been joined in the 25-man squad by defender James Loneragan and former Port Magpie Jack Elsworthy, who played in last year’s SANFL Grand Final.

Elsworthy, originally from Woodville-West Torrens, is one of several former Eagles now at Noarlunga including Matthew Broadbent, Jake Summerton and Tom Whittlesea.

F: Wilkinson, Cailotto, B. McCreery

HF: Cross, Overall, Fitt

C: Sampson, Broadbent, Milsom

HB: Haines, Haren, Noble

B: Highmore, Summerton, Kappler

R: McGree, Heaslip, Bogle

INT: Brown, Dumesny, McKinnon, Tucker, Schwarz, Loneragan, Elsworthy

IN: Schwarz, Loneragan, Elsworthy

NEW: Jack Elsworthy (Port Adelaide SANFL/Woodville-West Torrens)

Reserves
Biemans, Cameron, Cook, Davies, Douglass, Elmes, Evans, Freitag, Hoffmann, Hoey, Illingworth, Juckers, Kerinaiua, Lippett, Machin, J. McCreery, Oliver, Rosman, Whitbread, Whittlesea, Williams

Under-18
F: Draper, Treloar, Roberts
HF: Hamilton, Hoeck, Nye
C: Spicer, Clifton, Cook
HB: Flett, Hindes, Copley
B: Little, Brown, Spacie

R: Viney-Obst, Horne, Kraemer
INT: Williams, Rogers, Bray-Wallace, Birt, Reed, Dolman, Magor, Barrett

STURT

Sturt will be bolstered by the return of two premiership defenders for the contest against South at Flinders University Stadium.

Byron Sumner and Tom Harms return to the half-back line, Sumner after a one-week stint in the Reserves and Harms after recovering from a calf strain.

Defender Will Coomblas, midfielder Joel Thiele, tall utility Oliver Grivell and small forward Jack Penfold have also been named in the 25-man squad.

Former Adelaide development defender Hamish Latchford could make his Sturt debut after also being listed on the extended interchange bench.

Premiership veterans Guy Page and Matt Crocker have been sidelined by soft tissue injuries while Malachi Lines and Lachlan Burrows were sent back to the Reserves.

F: Kirkwood, Ash Johnson, J. Hone

HF: Aidyn Johnson, Sutcliffe, McEntee

C: Evans, Davis, Colquhoun

HB: Sumner, Edmonds, Harms

B: Gore, Wundke, Illman

R: Fahey-Sparks, Battersby, Slimming

INT: Voss, Lewis, Coomblas, Latchford, Thiele, Penfold, Grivell

IN: Coomblas, Thiele, Sumner, Grivell, Penfold, Latchford, Harms

OUT: Page (hamstring), Crocker (quad), Lines, Burrows

NEW – Hamish Latchford (Adelaide SANFL)

Reserves
Jones, Richards, Allan, Crane, Weeks, Doyle, Shute, Borlase, Parker-Boers, A. Lochowiak, Trenorden, Kitto, Matteucci, Schwarze, Kennett, T. Hone, Armiento, Wills, Lines, Burrows, Mitchell

Under-18
F: Lochowiak, Holland, Hortle
HF: M. Carruthers, Ferres, Staples
C: Garrels, Liddy, Higgins
HB: Walter, Grieve, Swiderski
B: W. Taylor, Becker, Grivell

R: Kittel, Powell, Jefferies
INT: Opperman, Parker-Boers, Spain, J. Thredgold
EMG: Field, J. Ferrari, Bawden, Willsmore
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Re: Round 4 South v Sturt Saturday 1410

Postby DOC » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 am

I watched Sturt last week and think that Lines being dropped is quite a surprise. I was quite impressed with his attack on the ball. I guess it says more about the strength of the returns.

Sturt have a good record at Noarlunga of late. We have struggled to contain Kirkwood and Slimming has always had a tagging role on Cross. Davis returns and I expect Highmore to have a run with role on him as he played everywhere last week. He may look out of condition but he gets around well.

South have named (again) an extended bench. I think Schwarz will play and Ellsworthy will debut. He looks a find. With such a young side, inconsistency is always a concern.

I remain hopeful. South by a point.
DOC
Coach

Postby PanthersFan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:46 am

This will be a very interesting game. Sturt struggled to beat Centrals and Westies and were pumped by the Eagles BUT they always have our measure and we always find it hard going against them.
Very happy to see Schwarz back, I was expecting him to be out at least 2 weeks knowing the poor bloke’s injury history. Excited to see what Elsworthy can do if he plays. Our young small forwards have been pleasantly surprising with their form thus far but coming up against some very good defenders this week.
I’ve picked a South win because it’s at Noarlunga but it will be a hard slog all day.
Gotta copy Doc here, South by a point!
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Brett » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:56 pm

South by about 5 - 6 goals. Sturt have too many out and IF Harms plays he will be underdone as well. 10 debutants for Sturt this year and an injury list of 13 will make it tough.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby DOC » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:22 pm

From todays paper. Yes I am a little biased. My favorite player.

ONE of the SANFL’s best players has revealed he nearly quit the competition four years ago.

Spring-heeled South Adelaide defender Joseph Haines said he had decided to walk away from the club and play country football after being out of favour under coach Brad Gotch.

“I was on my way out,’’ said Haines, who leads the SANFL in marks after three rounds with 29 and ranks equal-sixth in disposals with 73 – the highest-ranked nonmidfielder in the competition.

“I couldn’t get a game under ‘Gotchy’ and was about to call it a day, go and play in a different league. “Then ‘Buddha’ (Garry Hocking) was appointed coach, I had a meeting with him and he convinced me to stay. I’m pretty happy about that now.’’

Haines – a third generation Panther after grandfather Colin and dad Peter – has not missed a beat since Hocking replaced Gotch at the end of 2016.

While former Geelong star Hocking only lasted a year as South coach before moving back to the AFL as an assistant at Collingwood, he set Haines on the right path.

After failing to play a league game in 2016 when he was runner-up in the Panthers’ reserves best and fairest award – and managing only eight league appearances in four years – Haines, 27, has been a regular ever since.

He was named South’s most improved player in 2018 and last year was runner-up in the league best and fairest and represented SA against WA in Perth.

“I owe a lot to ‘Buddha’,’’ said the 184cm, 83kg Haines, who joined South in 2013 after being born in Adelaide and raised in the Riverland town of Waikerie.

“He showed a lot of faith and confidence in me and turned my career around from day one.

“If it hadn’t been for him I probably would have gone back to play in Waikerie or in Mildura where some mates played.’’

Haines is now arguably the best rebounding defender in the SANFL.

If the AFL’s mid-season rookie draft hadn’t been cancelled this season, he would have been a contender to be selected.

“I’ll be 28 at the end of the year, so I think that dream’s done now,’’ Haines said.

Instead he is focused on helping the Panthers – now under coach Jarrad Wright – win their first SANFL premiership since 1964.

“That’s all I want now, my ultimate goal is to win a flag with South,’’ said Haines, who is a schoolteacher at Westport Primary.
DOC
Coach

Postby saintal » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:27 pm

Love watching Haines play. Have to admire his dedication, took many years to solidify his spot on the team.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby PanthersFan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:17 pm

Confirmed Elsworthy to debut. Good luck Jack!
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby PanthersFan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:21 pm

saintal wrote:Love watching Haines play. Have to admire his dedication, took many years to solidify his spot on the team.

Agreed, love watching him play. Reads the ball very well with a great pair of hands and skilful by foot too.
In fairness to him and Gotch not playing him, those teams had similar players like Fields, Gulden, Brown and Durdin to play his role. Very happy he stuck around!
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby saintal » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:21 pm

Rookie (or rusty) camera man at Noarlunga? Not the easiest vision to follow.

Early days..

SA 2.1
STU 1.0
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby saintal » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:41 pm

1/4 time

SA 3.6
STU 1.0

A wasteful South with the wind that term, leading the inside 50 count 22-1.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby saintal » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:30 pm

HT

SA 3.7
STU 3.3

Dour contest in breezy conditions.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby saintal » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Fat lady warming up the vocal cords

SA 8.10
STU 3.3

20 gone.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby PanthersFan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:08 pm

saintal wrote:Fat lady warming up the vocal cords

SA 8.10
STU 3.3

20 gone.

That’s a bit of an early call I think, Sturt coming home with the wind.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby PanthersFan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:20 pm

PanthersFan wrote:

SA 8.10
STU 3.3

20 gone.

Or not. Spot on saintal :D
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby PanthersFan » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Good win, always hard for us to beat Sturt so I’m pretty happy.
Broadbent in some good form.
This South team has grit and isn’t afraid of the hard contest. Nice to see.
Go Panthers!!
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby blueandwhite » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:55 pm

Great win by the Yeos!!
South butchered the ball in the first quarter with the breeze, but managed to control the clearances with Broadbent dominating,clearly BOG imo.
Plenty of upside for South with a few to come in at some stage, but the youngsters are doing well and taking their chances, McGreery again impressive.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Grenville » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:23 pm

blueandwhite wrote:Great win by the Yeos!!
South butchered the ball in the first quarter with the breeze, but managed to control the clearances with Broadbent dominating,clearly BOG imo.
Plenty of upside for South with a few to come in at some stage, but the youngsters are doing well and taking their chances, McGreery again impressive.

You lads were an impressive unit last week, McGreery is going to be a beauty if he keeps progressing.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby saintal » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:21 pm

PanthersFan wrote:
PanthersFan wrote:

SA 8.10
STU 3.3

20 gone.

After posting that I was waiting for a run of Sturt goals :lol: But with only 6 scoring shots and 18 inside 50s to three quarter time, it was difficult to see Sturt finishing on top.

M. Broadbent, T. Highmore, B. Heaslip, J. Cross, J. Summerton, S. Overall named best for South. The two recruits in Broady and Highmore have been excellent.

Interestingly Davis was named Sturt's best in his return to Noarlunga :-k Serviceable without having a major impact.

Playing some good footy to start the season. Would have been nice to hold the 8 goal lead that was established early in the last, but I guess Sturt were due to hit the scoreboard with the breeze at some point.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby Brett » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:12 pm

saintal wrote:
PanthersFan wrote:
PanthersFan wrote:

SA 8.10
STU 3.3

20 gone.

After posting that I was waiting for a run of Sturt goals :lol: But with only 6 scoring shots and 18 inside 50s to three quarter time, it was difficult to see Sturt finishing on top.

M. Broadbent, T. Highmore, B. Heaslip, J. Cross, J. Summerton, S. Overall named best for South. The two recruits in Broady and Highmore have been excellent.

Interestingly Davis was named Sturt's best in his return to Noarlunga :-k Serviceable without having a major impact.

Playing some good footy to start the season. Would have been nice to hold the 8 goal lead that was established early in the last, but I guess Sturt were due to hit the scoreboard with the breeze at some point.

Yeah I find Davis being named Sturts best strange. Was that from the SFC ? I find that amazing if true.

South are a good team and with a shorter season should go close I reckon this year.Broadbent plays that sweeping role so I can see him being cut out of the game later on.
South are shy on money yet ran out of some food in the reserves ????? They certainly dont do it well down there .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby blueandwhite » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:40 am

"South are shy on money yet ran out of some food in the reserves ????? They certainly dont do it well down there ."

well the egg and bacon sandwich and the chips I purchased at halftime in the league match went down a treat..
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL