Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:32 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
The Bedge wrote:I reckon if Marshall or Dixon had goaled late, Port would’ve lost.

Carlton were all over them in the centre clearances I felt and looked very dangerous up forward.. with the 6-6-6 restart, had they won the clearance I think they would’ve found an avenue to goal.

Nah, nothing was getting past the skipper .... his last 10 minutes were brilliant. Gray might have kicked the winning goal, but Jonas was the true hero yesterday.

Absolutely he was, his second half was outstanding. Killed several contests in the air in the third quarter when Carlton really had control, then took a couple of important marks, pumped a couple of I50's from possessions front of centre in the last as well as what was probably the match winning play when he took the contested mark before handing it to Ladhams > Butters > Mayes > Gray, he was everywhere.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10773 times

Postby JK » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:51 am

Booney wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
The Bedge wrote:I reckon if Marshall or Dixon had goaled late, Port would’ve lost.

Carlton were all over them in the centre clearances I felt and looked very dangerous up forward.. with the 6-6-6 restart, had they won the clearance I think they would’ve found an avenue to goal.

Nah, nothing was getting past the skipper .... his last 10 minutes were brilliant. Gray might have kicked the winning goal, but Jonas was the true hero yesterday.

Absolutely he was, his second half was outstanding. Killed several contests in the air in the third quarter when Carlton really had control, then took a couple of important marks, pumped a couple of I50's from possessions front of centre in the last as well as what was probably the match winning play when he took the contested mark before handing it to Ladhams > Butters > Mayes > Gray, he was everywhere.

Ladhams got some tidy skills for a big fella, future looking bright at Alberton across all lines.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:04 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

Ladhams got some tidy skills for a big fella, future looking bright at Alberton across all lines.

Jack Watts?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby JK » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:22 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:Ladhams got some tidy skills for a big fella, future looking bright at Alberton across all lines.

Jack Watts?

Being kind on a few others there
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Play on. :lol:

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:55 pm

Booney wrote:Play on. :lol:

Clearly that should be free against Jones for holding
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby David Brent » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:19 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

Clubs like Sydney will come knocking for Ladhams surely? Looks a talent.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:32 pm

David Brent wrote:Clubs like Sydney will come knocking for Ladhams surely? Looks a talent.

With Dixon 29 and Lycett 27, Ladhams who is only 22, won't have to wait too long to be the #1 ruck or key forward option while playing a bit of both along the way. Once Westhoff retires ( I'd say this year ) he'll probably come into the side full time.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:34 am

What a finish! Let’s talk about the 4 quarters played before that though.

Without doubt one of the most entertaining opening halves of footy for the year as Port and Carlton threw the ball around and some express movement from the middle for Port and from defence for Carlton saw the two sides kick 11 goals for the first half between them.

Port’s early start was, again, on the back of some inspired work from Travis Boak, early clearances and a ripping snap from 40m out to get the scoreboard ticking over, a sensational start. 2 minutes later Dixon has one on the board and before you could open another beer Butters hands over to Motlop who kicks truly and Port have 3 on the board in the blink. It was one way traffic, clearances, possessions and I50 all pointed to Port being well on top. However, this Blues line up has some more dare about and some more belief about it and at ¼ time they go in with the narrowest of leads after kicking 4 unanswered goals on the back of some scintillating ball movement. From half back they were willing to take Port’s zone on and they got out the back on a couple of occasions, mind you a big pack mark from Betts got them going and a very good one-on-one win to McKay over Jonas ( not an easy ask ) gave them reason to believe they could transition and score.

The 2nd quarter was a little more benign, Betts turned nothing into something before both sides wasted some opportunities. Napping on the mark Simpson hadn’t got the memo about Farrell’s left foot and when Dixon handed off to him he slotted truly from outside 50 for the second time in two weeks, throw in a major to the ever improving Zak Butters after being dished one up by Marshall and Port take a 1 goal lead into half time. About now I thought we had staved off their best efforts and we should not hold them at bay. Not so.

Something happened to both sides at half time though, they both slowed the play up behind the ball and the 3rd quarter was an arm wrestle, 1.2 a piece and it’s the big blokes at either end, McKay making the most of limited opportunities and Dixon making the most of plenty, the commentators were surprised a move wasn’t made on Dixon and despite kicking 3.4 on the day Dixon was the difference between the two sides. Port set up behind the ball, Carlton slowed down their run from the back half and the game started to resemble many in 2020, a bit hard to watch. Ports defence was led by McKenzie deep and while Carlton had plenty of play in the third on the back of Cripps getting his hands on it Jonas was controlling the airspace in the back half, he took over from here on.

The Blues got back in front as Walsh kicked a beauty ( Boak being held? ), then Newnes followed suit and I thought the fly in fly out Port boys looked cooked. Again it was Jonas who took an intercept mark, pumped the ball inside 50 and on the way out Houston gets a shot on goal. Point. Port’s zone holds the ball in the front half, Houston pumps it in long and Dixon again leads Jones to the ball to mark right in front, 20 out. Point. Uh oh.

Jacob Weitering, impressive all day just got some panic about him, fair enough, in a one-on-one with Gray and we’ll be right from here. Point. What the….? Inexplicably the next piece of play saw Butters hand to Gray who hands to Marshall and from the top of the square he squirts it wide and it looked game over. Enter Tom Jonas.

After some faffing about at half back with under 1 minute to play Carlton go long down the line to Casboult, McGovern and McKay all in a pack right on the boundary, surely they kill it. Nope. Jonas makes some early body contact ( mentioned in here in previous write ups ) and pushes the whole pack under the ball, he marks and hands off to the agile Ladhams who hits up Butters. The Mayes kick and Gray mark can’t be under stated, the last 30 seconds of play from the Jonas mark, the Ladhams kick, the Mayes kick, the Gray mark could only end in one way.

You can bet your house if Gray was 20m out right in front he misses, but 45m out on the boundary? Never. Freaking. Missing. I went nuts. My wife came out to the rumpus room to see if I was ok. Ok? You ****ing bet I am!

In retrospect the Dixon, Gray and Marshall misses probably meant we should have won by two or three goals but we’ll take the 4 points and head home.

Boons best – Dixon, Jonas, DBJ, Ladhams, Burton, Butters

Some changes ahead, Motlop with an ankle, Burton with a quad, Lycett perhaps not quite right yet.

Out – Motlop, Burton

In – Ebert, Bonner
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby LMA » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:16 am

I'd be resting Rozee this week if he's a bit sore, maybe give Bergman a crack.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:38 am

Todd Marshall broken thumb, had surgery, will miss 6 weeks.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:16 pm

No Lycett leaves a huge hole in Port's team.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Looking forward to Booney's review, but thought a lot of worrying signs Saturday night, and seemed to slip back into bad habits again.

Also concerning was the number of players who failed to have an impact.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:22 pm

Booney wrote:
David Brent wrote:Clubs like Sydney will come knocking for Ladhams surely? Looks a talent.

With Dixon 29 and Lycett 27, Ladhams who is only 22, won't have to wait too long to be the #1 ruck or key forward option while playing a bit of both along the way. Once Westhoff retires ( I'd say this year ) he'll probably come into the side full time.

Westhoff should play on for the amusement of us all ha ha.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:23 pm

The Bedge wrote:Looking forward to Booney's review, but thought a lot of worrying signs Saturday night, and seemed to slip back into bad habits again.

No Metricon, no Port! :D

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:09 pm

Port beat up on GC, before the COVID disruption, then beat a poor Adelaide, Freo and a discontent WCE before failing the test against Brisbane. GWS was a sound win and they had a miracle escape against Carlton. When you break it down they have only just done OK, esp considering a pretty clear injury list.

Next 4 games will be a good test, all teams around them on the ladder. This is where the coaching team will either sink or swin.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:18 pm

The Bedge wrote:Looking forward to Booney's review, but thought a lot of worrying signs Saturday night, and seemed to slip back into bad habits again.

Don't hold your breath
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 am

daysofourlives wrote:

Don't hold your breath

It's in either Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning, I'm glad you're so invested.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 am

At least one reader will attest to this, I told them St Kilda 16.5+ was great value. Port haven’t played 4 quarters for a month, the loss to Brisbane, the win over GWS and the win over Carlton all had a quarter where the opposition had total control and so it was on Saturday night when St Kilda piled on 5 goals to nothing in the last quarter. A worrying trend.

The first half was a good wrestle, Port saw a snap shot of the future as Georgiades marked and kicked truly before taking a good contested mark on the wing and delivered it to Marshall (who was in the same contest and worked back to mark I50, the coaches would have loved that) who also converted. These two are the next generation of the Port forward half along with Rozee, Butters and Farrell. The future looks ok, but back to Saturday night.

One of the key takeaways from the night was the job done by Jack Steele on Travis Boak, Boak can play inside and outside in the midfield and Steele prevented him from switching between the two which became an issue for Port as the first possession inside mids were getting beaten. Wines and Houston had 5 and 4 respectively, Ladhams had 4, but that’s where any clearance advantage was lost and like the Carlton game it meant Port couldn’t win the territory battle and set up the zone to gain repeat I50 entries.

In the breakdown St Kilda won the clearances by 10 (41 to 31) and the inside 50’s by 5 (41 to 36), therein lies the win. Port were down on season averages for both stats, St Kilda up on season averages for both stats. 4 points to the Saints.

With the first touch mids quiet the second touch outside mids of Amon (15), Duursma (12), Rozee (12 and clearly hampered by his foot), Farrell (8) and Butters (7) were all denied the opportunity to pump the ball inside 50 and lock it in. Carlton used the same recipe. Really need a lift from Rozee, Duursma and Butters this week, they offer plenty of spark in offence and pressure in defence and need to do more of both this week.

One young gun continues to shine though, Darcy Byrne-Jones was runner up to Travis Boak in last year’s BnF, right now he’s be in the same spot behind the same bloke. His speed is seriously underrated, off the back of the square DBJ gets into the centre ball ups and creates another option at ground level, he’s rarely beaten in one-on-ones and has moved into the high half back role, I expect some midfield minutes for him soon and I’ll be bold, he’ll one day wear the #1 at Port Adelaide as the captain. You read it here first.

The Saints have got something about them at the moment, after some years in the darkness the likes of King, Howard, Hill, Jones and Ryder make them instantly better and the likes of Marshall, Gresham and Billings are coming of age. Ratten can coach and the club looks to be enjoying its new found spirit. Some nights you think you had a bad night, some nights you feel like you just got beaten. For 3 quarters I thought we were having a bad night, the last quarter we just got beaten.

Some work to do with Marshall sidelined for 6 weeks with a broken thumb, Burton a TBC with his quad, Motlop’s ankle is going to keep him out for another 2-3 weeks and Lycett needs to prove his fitness on a short turn around while Rozee was rumoured a late change last week I think he might need a spell and Westhoff earnt a reprieve after McKenzie tweaked his back. I’ve tweaked my back recently, too, but I did mine taking my dressing gown off, *insert old man yelling at cloud here*. I expect few risks will be taken given it’s Thursday then Monday football for Port and we might see some debutants.

Boon’s best – Byrne-Jones, Wines, Ebert, Houston

Changes –

Out – Marshall (thumb), Westhoff ( omit )

In – ( If fit ) McKenzie goes back to replace Westhoff, Lycett into the middle and Ladhams goes forward to replace Marshall and offers a second ruck option against Gawn.

If McKenzie and Lycett both fail to come up I’d bring in Leinert to play back and move Westhoff forward and he could consider himself lucky. Outside the conventional Woodcock could replace Rozee if he’s rested, Buzza may be an option to replace Marshall and if Bonner isn’t 100% Garner could make his way in.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:50 am

Bassett has already said Lycett is out again this week
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times