I need to know....

Anything!

Re: I need to know....

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Personally I couldn't live away from my 11, 9 & 2 year old children. I did a six week stint in Darwin last year as a secondment role and whilst loved the lifestyle, money and work being away from the kids meant it was never going to be a long term option.

In saying that if I was earning the money that I could have flown them up every second weekend and still have a roof over my head I would have considered the option. If I'm thinking through this situation I'm asking two questions.

1/ How often will I see my kids if I make the move, within my realistic means(eg will I drive and see them once a month or is that fantasy, can I afford to fly them over regularly, would they drive over)

2/ Am I happy with how much I will see them based on answering question 1.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:Any possibility of doing the Victorian job from here permanently? Its a new world now, as of yesterday for the 1st time in 32 years I now have a boss who isn't in SA.

Na, it's a factory manager role, I'll have to liaise with people face to face.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7925 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:39 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Any possibility of doing the Victorian job from here permanently? Its a new world now, as of yesterday for the 1st time in 32 years I now have a boss who isn't in SA.

Na, it's a factory manager role, I'll have to liaise with people face to face.

Where is the factory located LM?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:40 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:I moved to Melbourne when I was 23-24 in 1990 but I had no children or partner. The only time I really missed it was one xmas when I decided I would stay in Melb, only ever did that once besides when my family would come over there. Came back in 2007.
Melbourne is a doddle to get around compared to Sydney

Where are the trouble spots over there? (The violence we've been hearing about).

Dandenong, Frankston, I think inner west is just about all gentrified now. Not sure about broadmeadows, and other west/north areas. Pretty much whereever you'll be working you would want to live there ...

Very true, you don't want to be working out West, and travelling all the way across town everyday.

The company I work for has its office & factory in Broadmeadows. It's an awful place, I'd never live there. We currently live about 20-25 minutes away (down the ring road) to the east, and acceptable commute by any standards. It's a nice enough area, but it's not Brighton or Kooyong, that's for sure. Property prices here are insane. So you have to live within your means. I'd like to move out a little further to Eltham or Diamond Creek, they have more of an Adelaide Hills feel about them....

The violence you've heard about is concentrated around the western suburbs, but it's essentially everywhere, even the leafy suburbs to be honest. If you don't go looking for trouble, it won't find you.

While the pubs are closed here for now, there are some bloody good ones (and bad ones for that matter) about. There are a 100 Reephams over here LM - take your pick!

I meant you *wouldnt want to live there but yeah, anywhere within 20-30 minutes of work is a bonus
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:42 pm

Corona Man wrote:Very true, you don't want to be working out West, and travelling all the way across town everyday.

The company I work for has its office & factory in Broadmeadows. It's an awful place, I'd never live there. We currently live about 20-25 minutes away (down the ring road) to the east, and acceptable commute by any standards. It's a nice enough area, but it's not Brighton or Kooyong, that's for sure. Property prices here are insane. So you have to live within your means. I'd like to move out a little further to Eltham or Diamond Creek, they have more of an Adelaide Hills feel about them....

The violence you've heard about is concentrated around the western suburbs, but it's essentially everywhere, even the leafy suburbs to be honest. If you don't go looking for trouble, it won't find you.

While the pubs are closed here for now, there are some bloody good ones (and bad ones for that matter) about. There are a 100 Reephams over here LM - take your pick!

Initial searches on real estate have had me looking at Deer Park, Ardeer, Albion and Sunshine.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:48 pm

I'd have no hesitation in moving interstate...preferrably west.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11852 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:49 pm

whufc wrote:Personally I couldn't live away from my 11, 9 & 2 year old children. I did a six week stint in Darwin last year as a secondment role and whilst loved the lifestyle, money and work being away from the kids meant it was never going to be a long term option.

In saying that if I was earning the money that I could have flown them up every second weekend and still have a roof over my head I would have considered the option. If I'm thinking through this situation I'm asking two questions.

1/ How often will I see my kids if I make the move, within my realistic means(eg will I drive and see them once a month or is that fantasy, can I afford to fly them over regularly, would they drive over)

My kids are much older, it would not come under consideration for me if I was in your shoes.

The company would fly me home fortnightly and the coin I'd be on could see me fly over on my own accord the other fortnights, it would get to the point where I'd wanna stay put for the weekend anyway.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:53 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:Personally I couldn't live away from my 11, 9 & 2 year old children. I did a six week stint in Darwin last year as a secondment role and whilst loved the lifestyle, money and work being away from the kids meant it was never going to be a long term option.

My kids are much older, it would not come under consideration for me if I was in your shoes.

The company would fly me home fortnightly and the coin I'd be on could see me fly over on my own accord the other fortnights, it would get to the point where I'd wanna stay put for the weekend anyway.

The kids being older definitely helps.

For me it would simply come down to whether I could handle the amount of time I would see my kids which is personal to all of us based on their age, lifestyle etc.

If you can handle what moving away means to the amount of time you see your kids I would say absolutely go for it, take the opportunity with two hands.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:56 pm

whufc wrote:

For me it would simply come down to whether I could handle the amount of time I would see my kids which is personal to all of us based on their age, lifestyle etc.

If you can handle what moving away means to the amount of time you see your kids I would say absolutely go for it, take the opportunity with two hands.

The son may even move with me.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:56 pm

Corona Man wrote:Where is the factory located LM?

Truganina
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Truganina

Go out near Geelong mate, the highway would be 45 minutes and an easy run and you can grab Carey from Avalon on the way through!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:05 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Truganina

Go out near Geelong mate, the highway would be 45 minutes and an easy run and you can grab Carey from Avalon on the way through!

I was going to suggest Point Cook way
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:18 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Truganina

Makes sense, heaps of factories out that way, and lots of them brand spanking new.

I have customers in there. The traffic in & out is a nightmare!

Boon is not far off the mark. You may want to look towards Hoppers Crossing & even Werribee.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:21 pm

Move to Geelong, grab a Geelong membership and enjoy the arctic breeeze

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11852 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:35 pm

Yeah, I've explored that option also now.

They are generally pretty good when they re-locate employees, they'll cover a hotel and travel for a while and then pay for a removalist to move your shit when you've found a place.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:37 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Makes sense, heaps of factories out that way, and lots of them brand spanking new.

I have customers in there. The traffic in & out is a nightmare!

Boon is not far off the mark. You may want to look towards Hoppers Crossing & even Werribee.

We had about a $20M upgrade here and Trug copied us in a lot of ways, that will work in my favour, having to replace my current role wont.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:41 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Lock the 2021 Boxing Day test in your calendar then!!!!
whufc
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:45 pm

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

I will meet you there, your buy!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:55 pm

whufc wrote:

Just a couple of minor things in the way just yet, applying for the role and getting it.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Very true, you don't want to be working out West, and travelling all the way across town everyday.

Initial searches on real estate have had me looking at Deer Park, Ardeer, Albion and Sunshine.
Steer clear of that area if possible.
Seabrook, Point Cook, Hoppers Crossing would all be far better options if within your budget
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion