Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby Pseudo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:51 pm

whufc wrote:Working in rec centres and whilst Job Keeper is helping with our P&L's its killing us at any operational level.

We have primarily a casual staff force. We had staff who were previously working 10 hours a week roughly $250 a week who are now getting $1,500 a fortnight whether they work or not.

Do you think the casual staff are making themselves overly available at the moment or will to pick up shifts etc when in 'their minds' they are working for free.

Yes legally we can terminate them if they refuse to work shifts but legally it's almost impossible to enforce especially being regional where reasons such as 'im in Adelaide', 'im helping out on the family farm' are legitimate regardless of whether we see otherwise on their social media etc.

Like several similar government policies it was well-intended but poorly thought out and implemented too hastily.

I would liken it to Kevin Rudd's $900 GFC payments. Not a bad idea, put some money out on the streets to stimulate spending - even if most of it went on Plasma TVs. But the implementation of it... My missus had gone on maternity leave in the year prior and her earnings fell just under the tax free threshold. Since she paid no net tax in the previous FY she got $0. Myself, I earned a little over the threshold at which the payment reduced. So we got $600 between us. Conversely, my dear old granny copped the full $900 - this despite the fact that she had passed away some months prior!

Now who is most likely to put the $ back into the economy - a couple with two small kids, or a dead person? Similarly the Job Keeper plan is well intentioned but poorly targeted.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby stan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:13 pm

Pseudo wrote:
whufc wrote:Working in rec centres and whilst Job Keeper is helping with our P&L's its killing us at any operational level.

We have primarily a casual staff force. We had staff who were previously working 10 hours a week roughly $250 a week who are now getting $1,500 a fortnight whether they work or not.

Do you think the casual staff are making themselves overly available at the moment or will to pick up shifts etc when in 'their minds' they are working for free.

Yes legally we can terminate them if they refuse to work shifts but legally it's almost impossible to enforce especially being regional where reasons such as 'im in Adelaide', 'im helping out on the family farm' are legitimate regardless of whether we see otherwise on their social media etc.

Like several similar government policies it was well-intended but poorly thought out and implemented too hastily.

I would liken it to Kevin Rudd's $900 GFC payments. Not a bad idea, put some money out on the streets to stimulate spending - even if most of it went on Plasma TVs. But the implementation of it... My missus had gone on maternity leave in the year prior and her earnings fell just under the tax free threshold. Since she paid no net tax in the previous FY she got $0. Myself, I earned a little over the threshold at which the payment reduced. So we got $600 between us. Conversely, my dear old granny copped the full $900 - this despite the fact that she had passed away some months prior!

Now who is most likely to put the $ back into the economy - a couple with two small kids, or a dead person? Similarly the Job Keeper plan is well intentioned but poorly targeted.
RIP Pseudo's Granny.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:20 pm

Pseudo wrote:

Why?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Why?

Geezus, where to start?

People who werent earning a cent suddenly got $1500 pf, people making a living working full time suddenly got nothing.
Two people doing exactly the same job for exactly the same time could have one get it and the other not dependong on circumstances nothing to do with them.
Employers are abusing it, employees are refusing to work.
And they couldn't even get within 50 billion dollars when costing it.
I could go on for ever but thats the tip of the ice berg.
Most amateur effort ever by a governement.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Wedgie wrote:Geezus, where to start?

People who werent earning a cent suddenly got $1500 pf, people making a living working full time suddenly got nothing.
Two people doing exactly the same job for exactly the same time could have one get it and the other not dependong on circumstances nothing to do with them.

That's it in a nutshell, I've seen and heard from both sides of the fence and there is zero consistency.

If an employer wants to piss an employee off they will give them more shifts than they are getting paid for while the ones they want to keep are getting away with minimum shifts and doing the jobs they usually would've done pre-covid.

Some employees are taking the piss too as they will get the same pay regardless, the best intentions went out the window once everyone worked out the loopholes, but the employers hold the cards.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:27 pm

You don't recall the insulations scheme then..... old mate Peter Garrett, now that reeks of politics!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Psyber » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:04 pm

There was a need to do somethng fast rather than do nothing until it was fully worked out, but I agree it should have been introduced as "for now until the situation is clear" and the sorting out of the reality should have been gotten on with sooner.

But once they had announced is as "until the end of September" it would not have worked to back off before September - the opposition would have loved that and made the most of it, even if the end result had in reality had been better!
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Why?

Geezus, where to start?

And they couldn't even get within 50 billion dollars when costing it.

The government had to act quickly and they did.
Did they get right?
Time will tell but you can’t really blame the government for dodgy employers or employees taking advantage of the situation.
The government were on a hiding to nothing either way.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:19 pm

I can blame the government for implememting a system when two people doing exactly the same jobs in exactly the same situation dont get treated the same way, that has nothing to do with dodgy employers or employees.
I dont blame the government for inteoducing something, that was a no brainer.
I do blame them for the incompetent mess they made of it.
You could have grabbed most people off the street to do a better job, I know I could have easily.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Wedgie wrote:I can blame the government for implememting a system when two people doing exactly the same jobs in exactly the same situation dont get treated the same way, that has nothing to do with dodgy employers or employees.

If it’s the exact same job in the exact same situation how can it differ?
Situation must differ for them to differentiate with the decision?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Psyber » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:29 pm

Wedgie wrote:I can blame the government for implememting a system when two people doing exactly the same jobs in exactly the same situation dont get treated the same way, that has nothing to do with dodgy employers or employees.

And they'd have been able to reduce the risk of that if they had put in several weeks designing an action that was free from risk of criticism before doing anything at all, but the way I see it something had to be done fast to reduce panic and then fixed later.

As I said above, they should have avoided fixing a date so far ahead for review, but I guess the longer period was more reassuring to the population in an immediate crisis. The Retrospectoscope would be a handy invention.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby locky801 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:38 pm

:shock: Talk on the news (not that i believe everything on there) that Victoria could be isolated from the rest of australia for up to 2 years unless they get on top of the COVID 19 situation quickly.
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:41 pm

locky801 wrote::shock: Talk on the news (not that i believe everything on there) that Victoria could be isolated from the rest of australia for up to 2 years unless they get on top of the COVID 19 situation quickly.

Build a wall around the Mexicans!

You hope it isn’t true and they get it under control soon but it’s not looking good again today.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:45 pm

locky801 wrote::shock: Talk on the news (not that i believe everything on there) that Victoria could be isolated from the rest of australia for up to 2 years unless they get on top of the COVID 19 situation quickly.

He was on the Today Show this morning explaining what he meant and the way the media had misquoted him
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Armchair expert » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:59 pm

More corona in SA because we still haven't built a god damn wall with covidtoria
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:54 pm

Armchair expert wrote:More corona in SA because we still haven't built a god damn wall with covidtoria

Bring on summer, Corona goes down a treat in the warmer weather.... you blokes over there can enjoy your red tins!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Geezus, where to start?

That's it in a nutshell, I've seen and heard from both sides of the fence and there is zero consistency.

If an employer wants to piss an employee off they will give them more shifts than they are getting paid for while the ones they want to keep are getting away with minimum shifts and doing the jobs they usually would've done pre-covid.

Some employees are taking the piss too as they will get the same pay regardless, the best intentions went out the window once everyone worked out the loopholes, but the employers hold the cards.

Yep absolutley. It's definitely a two way street with some employees abusing the system.

The worst part for me is that it is called JobKeepers yet employers have no responsibility to keep those employees employed. A casual employee on JobKeepers can be terminated in the same they could even if they weren't on JobKeepers so its not really increasing job security.

Have also heard of employers now leaving non jobkeeper staff out in the cold and giving as many possible hours to jobkeeper staff. Some of the non job keeper staff missed out by days and weeks from being eligible.

As other have said the flip side is we have over 10 ten staff getting paid over double what they had ever been paid before. Our 3 permenant staff are on at least 30% less than were previously getting.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:35 pm

Employer has to top up anything over the $750 according to my accountant.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:02 am

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:Employer has to top up anything over the $750 according to my accountant.

Are you talking about the $750 per week ($1500 p/fortnight) if an employee earnt it. That is what happening with my wage at the moment. I'm back to full time work and receive my normal payment as I always would. My workplace is reimbursed $1500 per fortnight for that.

Some employers though can be very creative and it wouldn't be hard to ensure you casual staff don't earn over that threshold per week. There is a business down the road from us who is refusing to use the casual staff he has that are not on jobkeepers, so essentially they have lost their jobs.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:43 am

Friends of mine who work in the city have been told to prepare to work from home again.... :shock:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion