Round 5 Glenelg v Eagles 1405 Saturday

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 5 Glenelg v Eagles 1405 Saturday

Postby Spargo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:14 pm

DOC wrote:As is the SANFL tradition under Umpiring Director Shane Harris, Bowen was afforded the chance to choose which game he officiated.

Lo and behold he chose an Eagles game :lol:
Who would’ve thunk it...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby DOC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:16 pm

You're screwed.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:18 pm

DOC wrote:You're screwed.

Personally or The Bays?

Spargo
Coach

Postby DOC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Both.
DOC
Coach

Postby DOC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 pm

I assume no flag tomorrow?
DOC
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:35 pm

DOC wrote:I assume no flag tomorrow?

Nup, if restrictions get lifted they may look at the Sturt game next Sunday.

Spargo
Coach

Postby DOC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:31 pm

Possibly best crowd game of the season I would think.
DOC
Coach

Postby Aerie » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:20 am

Tough in the selection meeting for the Glenelg coaching group this week. I heard they started early morning, it took all day. It got to the point where they were waiting, watching the clock, it got to four o'clock and they had to stop and they couldn't find a spot for Finn Betterman.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:01 pm

Aerie wrote:Tough in the selection meeting for the Glenelg coaching group this week. I heard they started early morning, it took all day. It got to the point where they were waiting, watching the clock, it got to four o'clock and they had to stop and they couldn't find a spot for Finn Betterman.

=D> =D>

Have you thought have changing your user name to Jeremy??

You've been waiting to [speak] that today since before the interweb nerds got picked on....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:04 pm

Eagles kicked 4 goals in about 5 minutes and are giving the Bays a good old football lesson
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:50 pm

Some of these umpiring decisions are just as confusing as the ones in the AFL

Eagles look like a reasonable side or are glenelg just rubbish?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:43 pm

Eagles nearly stuffed that up .
Key players out and they still won well done Eagles a win is a win
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby ferret » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:31 pm

Hybrids win. Ha Ha.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby Brendan M » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Great game of footy - tale of two halves, Bays came back hard like a good team will do - we did well to steady and score when it counted.
Brendan M
Rookie

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Pseudo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:15 pm

Brendan M wrote:Great game of footy - tale of two halves, Bays came back hard like a good team will do - we did well to steady and score when it counted.

The first half went for three quarters: Eagles well on top, harder at the contests and cleaner by hand and foot. Glenelg looked a different team after 3/4 time, certainly the intensity was back. Eagles a little shell shocked at first but steadied professionally. The margin flattered Glenelg, as it has done for the last 4 games now, including the last victory. I suppose that's something: even when beaten, they've yet to be buried. Touch wood...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Aerie » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:02 pm

Thought Glenelg started the game well, the Eagles going the length of the ground to kick a goal against the run of play and then breaking the game open a little bit. Again in the 2nd it was a bit of an arm wrestle until the Eagles broke the game open in the last part of the quarter. The game had some similarities to the infamous 19 man Prelim Final. Eagles got out to a 45 point lead halfway through the 3rd before Glenelg started to get on top.

A brilliant chase down by Mansell preventing a certain goal to Glenelg just before 3 qtr time was crucial. There were enough desperate moments like that, a Hall mark back with the flight another example, to suggest this Eagles side has a bit more ticker, to suppress what was a storming comeback by Glenelg. Led by Bradley, Glenelg closed the margin to 15 points 10 minutes into the last term, before Rowe and Carcuro sealed the win with back to back goals.

I thought the Eagles played a pretty good team game - “all played well”. Foote very good again. Pudney was clean in his first game, a late in for Goldsworthy I presume, who’d prefer to play his 200th at home? Jones, Seymour and Giuffreda did well in Thompson’s absence. Jones taking on Glenelg’s main/only avenue to goal, the giant McBean and doing a fair job, even though McBean ended up with 5. Much of the play went in his direction.

The Eagles good start continues, albeit with a bit of a reality check in that last quarter.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby southernbulldog » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:43 pm

The Eagles will pick up plenty of percentage next week we will do well to get within 8 goals
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby wedgetail » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:43 am

Very pleasing win esp considering Bays dominated inside 50's. A new look defensive unit for the Eagles is providing the rebound for an efficiently functioning attack. Redden outstanding in ruck and gave great service to Foote, Sinor and co on most occasions. Hoping Lowson from the VFLs inclusion doesn't interfere with the excellent chemistry there at present.
Central supporters would remember the huge upset they caused at Oval Ave last year so all is not lost!
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Spargo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:45 am

Pseudo wrote:
Brendan M wrote:Great game of footy - tale of two halves, Bays came back hard like a good team will do - we did well to steady and score when it counted.

The first half went for three quarters: Eagles well on top, harder at the contests and cleaner by hand and foot. Glenelg looked a different team after 3/4 time, certainly the intensity was back. Eagles a little shell shocked at first but steadied professionally. The margin flattered Glenelg, as it has done for the last 4 games now, including the last victory. I suppose that's something: even when beaten, they've yet to be buried. Touch wood...

I thought we were clearly the better side after half time. Until then we’d still had more inside 50’s yet trailed by 7 goals. The Eagles were going at an unheard of 70% efficiency going forward (their average is 52%) - that’s great going but only happens once maybe twice a year. The Eagles were cleaner & much quicker with their ball movement whereas we looked too stop/start.
The third qtr is where we blew any chance of a comeback, completely controlled play, won most of the contested ball, forward entry after forward entry, but missed numerous gettable shots, where the Eagles had few chances but kicked three goals for the qtr, all from free kicks 15 m out. (both frees to Rowe should’ve been play on, even he was smirking). The final qtr was similar to the third, continually winning the ball out the middle and whilst we got within 15 pts at the 8 min mark, we’d used up all our petrol tickets. You can’t expect to win when 45 pts down late in the 3rd qtr. And when Virgin lost the ball in the sun, resulting in a WWT goal, the fight back was over. No doubt the better team won, and the Eagles have improved dramatically. I certainly haven’t lost faith in our blokes, plenty of new players take time to gel, a couple still to come back.
I was far more dirty with last weeks loss than yesterday.

Spargo
Coach

Postby MJP1993 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:11 am

Aerie wrote:Thought Glenelg started the game well, the Eagles going the length of the ground to kick a goal against the run of play and then breaking the game open a little bit. Again in the 2nd it was a bit of an arm wrestle until the Eagles broke the game open in the last part of the quarter. The game had some similarities to the infamous 19 man Prelim Final. Eagles got out to a 45 point lead halfway through the 3rd before Glenelg started to get on top.

A brilliant chase down by Mansell preventing a certain goal to Glenelg just before 3 qtr time was crucial. There were enough desperate moments like that, a Hall mark back with the flight another example, to suggest this Eagles side has a bit more ticker, to suppress what was a storming comeback by Glenelg. Led by Bradley, Glenelg closed the margin to 15 points 10 minutes into the last term, before Rowe and Carcuro sealed the win with back to back goals.

I thought the Eagles played a pretty good team game - “all played well”. Foote very good again. Pudney was clean in his first game, a late in for Goldsworthy I presume, who’d prefer to play his 200th at home? Jones, Seymour and Giuffreda did well in Thompson’s absence. Jones taking on Glenelg’s main/only avenue to goal, the giant McBean and doing a fair job, even though McBean ended up with 5. Much of the play went in his direction.

The Eagles good start continues, albeit with a bit of a reality check in that last quarter.

Great post Aerie I thought with out Lonergan Thompson and Goldsworthy the Eagles would be dead in the water .
But the eagles proved me wrong .
Mansell a great recruit catching Motlop and iirc marked in front of McBean
Jones an under 18 doing so well

I think the eagles missed Lonergan against north and Glenelg hopefully he is back against Centrals .
And yes we thought it’s that final match again so far up and lose the game . But this time the eagles rallied .

Whatever Jade Sheedy has brought to the Eagles it’s working
Not big name recruits but those who have come are performing. The 27 year old recruit from the ammos but really from South where he couldn’t make the side but can make the Eagles . Food for thought .
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL