AFL 2020 Season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2020 Season

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:21 am

Spargo wrote:So, one for the conspiracy theorists out there.
The original dates for the 2020 Olympics was July 23 (tomorrow) until August 8.
And now, in almost the exact same time frame, the AFL announces it will play 33 games of footy over the next 20 days.
I’m guessing channel 7 has booked out or sold off massive amounts of advertising time slots but with less people watching with the Olympics being put back, they have asked the AFL for assistance.
Hence the 33 games on consecutive nights over 20 days.
Coincidence or not?

*Not thought up by yours truly, sent to me last night.

Makes sense and to be honest is probably a win/win given the circumstances for both Channel 7 and the AFL.

I think the AFL would love the fact they get to trial 'mid week' football both from crowd attendances and more importantly tv ratings point of view without any pushback from the football community, clubs, players, supporters.

The NBA/EPL have built a lot of their success around having 7 days a week sport/timeslots and im sure the AFL in a perfect world would love to have more games in a season, more games on tv, larger tv rights.

Yes people will talk about player fatigue etc but in those sports 'resting' players is part and part of managing a team through a season. We are already hearing about AFL clubs resting players for the odd game.

People will also talk about mid week crowds being lower but even in the NBA and EPL the midweek fixtures tend to be the St.K vs Fremantle games and the blockbuster games are saved for the best attending timeslots. This then has limited effect on the crowd attendances but maximises tv audiences with a larger neutral viewing rate.

It would not surprise me that if this 33 games in 20 days became a massive TV success that they might not try and squeeze the 'odd' midweek game in future seasons fixtures.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:53 am

Nice try but Channel 7 are showing their usual games with Fox Footy getting the extra games.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:58 am

Spargo wrote:So, one for the conspiracy theorists out there.
The original dates for the 2020 Olympics was July 23 (tomorrow) until August 8.
And now, in almost the exact same time frame, the AFL announces it will play 33 games of footy over the next 20 days.
I’m guessing channel 7 has booked out or sold off massive amounts of advertising time slots but with less people watching with the Olympics being put back, they have asked the AFL for assistance.
Hence the 33 games on consecutive nights over 20 days.
Coincidence or not?

*Not thought up by yours truly, sent to me last night.

This was talked about during the break between R1 & R2 when the Olympics was officially canned.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:34 pm

Wedgie wrote:Nice try but Channel 7 are showing their usual games with Fox Footy getting the extra games.

Correct, Channel 7 will show, on average, 2.5 games per round during this time. I think the lack of games being shown live on free to air will hit Victorians hard during their lockdown.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:55 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Nice try but Channel 7 are showing their usual games with Fox Footy getting the extra games.

Correct, Channel 7 will show, on average, 2.5 games per round during this time. I think the lack of games being shown live on free to air will hit Victorians hard during their lockdown.

Exactly. So Gold Coast finally get their first match on prime time, and Channel 7 are showing Home and Away?? Whats the go there, not even on 7 Mate or 7 Two?? Bizarre!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:43 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

Exactly. So Gold Coast finally get their first match on prime time, and Channel 7 are showing Home and Away?? Whats the go there, not even on 7 Mate or 7 Two?? Bizarre!

Put it on 1 hour delay on 7 Mate, Fox can't be unhappy about that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Booney wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

Not even showing on delay on Mate!

I have Fox so not bothered, but think Thursday and Friday night games were supposed to be on Ch.7 :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:56 pm

Booney wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

They can if they don't get the extra subscriptions. Rupert never misses a trick.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:30 pm

am Bays wrote:Dreamtime game to be played in Darwin

No official announcement yet but planning is underway, AFLNT staff have been called back in, NT Department of Health inspections occurring at TIO Stadium to determine crowd size.

Will be a minimum of 4000 but AFLNT hopeful of having 6000 approved.

With an election due up here on Aug 22, I expect game to be played before that date.

Can see bio security breach occurring with local mob wanting to hug Rioli and Dusty, they went nuts over Eddie last year.

Speaking with AFLNT staff still up in the air if in Darwin (most likely) or Alice.

Stcking points: NT Government contribution and how to ensure biosecurity bubble with the TV Crew.

AFL want i to happen but trying to work through the logistics.

Alice firms as the likely venue if it takes too long to organise and the temperatures up here start to rise (late Aug/Sept)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:59 am

#tainted
Attachments
hawks.jpg
hawks.jpg (104.42 KiB) Viewed 594 times
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:07 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:#tainted

The only clubs that weren't rorting the salary cap in the 80's were those that didn't have the ca$h to do it......
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1277 times
Been liked: 3476 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:12 pm

So we can have the 89 cup to go along with the 95 one that were given to the salary cap cheats

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:16 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:So we can have the 89 cup to go along with the 95 one that were given to the salary cap cheats

i am pretty sure they did this in 2014 too 8)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:17 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:So we can have the 89 cup to go along with the 95 one that were given to the salary cap cheats

And 08?

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:18 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

As sure as the sun rises in the east & sets in the west...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:24 pm

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/hawks-great-don-scott-drops-salary-cap-cheating-bombshell-on-club-c-1195319

Hawks great Don Scott drops salary cap cheating bombshell on club

Hawthorn great Don Scott has claimed his club systematically cheated the salary cap during its golden run in the late 1980s and early 1990s using a secret bank account in Tasmania.

The explosive claims cast a shadow on the Hawks’ flags in 1988, 1989 and 1991 and explain why the cash-strapped club was able to keep hold of some of the game’s greatest ever players.

“Hawthorn were breaching the salary cap,” Scott said according to the Herald Sun.

“The only reason Hawthorn held all those star players and had success was that they were paying under the cap. They had a bank account down in Tasmania and they were paying the players that way.

“They were contravening the salary cap and that is why those players stayed at Hawthorn because of the money they were receiving.

“So consequently there has got to be a day of reckoning and that came for Hawthorn.

“They were cash strapped.”

The Hawks great will expand on the allegations in the ‘No Merger’ podcast which will be released later this week.

He told News Corp that secretive payments from the Tasmanian bank account allowed Hawthorn to ‘attract and retain such quality players’ during those golden years.

They include Jason Dunstall, Dermott Brereton, Gary Ayres, John Platten, Chris Langford, Darren Jarman, Robert DiPierdomenico, Gary Buckenara and Michael Tuck.

“They were paying wives, they were paying girlfriends. They were doing a lot of things back then,” Scott said.

“It was like the Roman Empire (at Hawthorn). It was decadent. It is (cheating). But everyone cheats. Everyone was doing it. It was rife through the AFL.”

Scott said the system of cheating was “masterminded” by a number of Hawthorn administrators who have all passed away.

“And that’s why I am talking to you, because they are all dead. None of them are alive,” Scott said.

He also revealed that the AFL’s salary cap auditor at the time had warned Hawthorn about their conduct but no punishment ever eventuated.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Magellan wrote:https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/hawks-great-don-scott-drops-salary-cap-cheating-bombshell-on-club-c-1195319

Hawks great Don Scott drops salary cap cheating bombshell on club

Hawthorn great Don Scott has claimed his club systematically cheated the salary cap during its golden run in the late 1980s and early 1990s using a secret bank account in Tasmania.

The explosive claims cast a shadow on the Hawks’ flags in 1988, 1989 and 1991 and explain why the cash-strapped club was able to keep hold of some of the game’s greatest ever players.

“Hawthorn were breaching the salary cap,” Scott said according to the Herald Sun.

“The only reason Hawthorn held all those star players and had success was that they were paying under the cap. They had a bank account down in Tasmania and they were paying the players that way.

“They were contravening the salary cap and that is why those players stayed at Hawthorn because of the money they were receiving.

“So consequently there has got to be a day of reckoning and that came for Hawthorn.

“They were cash strapped.”

The Hawks great will expand on the allegations in the ‘No Merger’ podcast which will be released later this week.

He told News Corp that secretive payments from the Tasmanian bank account allowed Hawthorn to ‘attract and retain such quality players’ during those golden years.

They include Jason Dunstall, Dermott Brereton, Gary Ayres, John Platten, Chris Langford, Darren Jarman, Robert DiPierdomenico, Gary Buckenara and Michael Tuck.

“They were paying wives, they were paying girlfriends. They were doing a lot of things back then,” Scott said.

“It was like the Roman Empire (at Hawthorn). It was decadent. It is (cheating). But everyone cheats. Everyone was doing it. It was rife through the AFL.”

Scott said the system of cheating was “masterminded” by a number of Hawthorn administrators who have all passed away.

“And that’s why I am talking to you, because they are all dead. None of them are alive,” Scott said.

He also revealed that the AFL’s salary cap auditor at the time had warned Hawthorn about their conduct but no punishment ever eventuated.

Scott's later claim that 'everyone was doing it' really undermines the credibility of his allegation, particularly if those who masterminded it aren't here to defend themselves.

Moreover, it's a very cowardly thing to do - make a controversial claim when there's no opportunity for a comeback, and tarnish people who administered the club through it's greatest era. Scott seems like someone who is genuinely yellow and brown to the core. Anything to get someone to listen to your podcast, I suppose.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:58 pm

Magellan wrote:Anything to get someone to listen to your podcast, I suppose.

He has been to the Sam Newman school of podcasting, yes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:12 pm

I'm just curious if Scott did indeed tell Newscorp that, or they are taking snippets from other sources again.

mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:14 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I'm just curious if Scott did indeed tell Newscorp that, or they are taking snippets from other sources again.

#fakenews
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1277 times
Been liked: 3476 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL