Round 6 North v South 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 6 North v South 1410

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:01 pm

I live in the Nth Eastern suburbs, but I'd much rather go and watch my local ammo team for free than have to travel either to Norwood or Elizabeth oval to see a game of SANFL. I love the Blues, but it's just not economically nor logistically viable for me to watch their games.

My lad, given the choice would rather go to a local game where he knows the lads, and can have a kick and catch during the game, knowing he's only 10 mins away from home if need be. Call it generational but I do tend to agree with him. I can drive to the game locally and the standard of footy is much better than SANFL or AFL where it's over analysed (IMO).

Anyway, this wasn't a dig at North v South but moreso a general comment on SANFL footy and where it's at.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby am Bays » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:31 pm

I get what you’re saying gadg and no disrespect but I’ve seen local footy today at Flaggies and the vibe was poor (compared to previous years)

The standard was sh!t, can’t wait yo ho watch the Ressies and league at the Bay tomorrow.

As I’ve said previously on here the best game of footy I saw last year hands down was the 2nd semi final of the SANFL.

Yeah I’ve paid my membership do the game is “free“ but SANFL footy is priceless with respect to its standard, the dedication and the general vibe
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:39 pm

am Bays wrote:I get what you’re saying gadg and no disrespect but I’ve seen local footy today at Flaggies and the vibe was poor (compared to previous years)

The standard was sh!t, can’t wait yo ho watch the Ressies and league at the Bay tomorrow.

As I’ve said previously on here the best game of footy I saw last year hands down was the 2nd semi final of the SANFL.

Yeah I’ve paid my membership do the game is “free“ but SANFL footy is priceless with respect to its standard, the dedication and the general vibe

Each to their own. How far are you away from your local ground to an SANFL oval? 14 dollars worth (or SANFL club membership worth?). Considering everything, we don't have much out our way as far as locality and opportunity for the kids to have a kick and a catch. Realistically, the only reason I go is to get them out of the house to be honest, so if I'm taking them to an SANFL game, I have to provide valid reasons to get them out of the house in the first instance.

I'm happy not going to Sturt games - as much as that hurts me. I'd love to, but time isn't on my side unfortunately. I love them from afar!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby am Bays » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:14 pm

I live ~ 3000 km away from my nearest asANFL game happy to pay miy digital pass (did before the free access came about, and my home match membership each year to support my SANFL club.

I love it (the SANFL)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:27 pm

Great game of footy today, was a fun day. REally happy with that win, I expected South to take the chocolates.

South Adelaide suprised tonight in going to the RSL and the North club rooms for a drink or two after the game, haven't seen that for many years, South Adelaide are all class and will go far this year.

Full kudos to the lads from South. Be interesting to see if the Sturt players do it next week.

The SANFL is the best this year since the 80s, absolutely love it. Best footy comp in the world.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby blueandwhite » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:45 am

In reality I thought today was a very good game of sanfl footy. hard and tough, the ball generally moved very quickly from one end of the ground to the other, it was great footy to watch, a real spectacle with very little between both teams.
South were wasteful with the footy when they were on top and butchered the ball many times at crucial stages in the game. The key for Norths win was they had 2-3 fellows who could take a grab in the forward 50 arc, and that in the end was the difference.
From Souths perspective there are some interesting decisions to be made this week at selection.
2-3 players well off the mark today and Karpanys injury concerns a big worry.
The other concern is around our best player who is continually scragged and thrown to the ground 10metres off the ball at every stoppage... not sure what can happen about this but its happens every week, season after season.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby DOC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:55 am

Don't know for sure but was told yesterday that Billy Hartung would not play again for North.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby PanthersFan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:17 am

How did Ben Sawford go in the reserves? Injuries are starting to pile up and we need him in the league side.
Biemans didn’t end up playing, anyone know if that was a precaution or is he out for a long time again? Poor bloke can’t stay on the park.
As already mentioned, Karpany’s injury must be bothering him still. I hope he is ok because he is a game winner when he’s on.

The Panthers showed again they can claw back in to games with a disciplined game plan, just wish we could be more efficient going forward.
Overall played better than he has been and Cailotto was good up forward too along with young Beau McCreery. McGree was good in the ruck and around the ground but still struggles against the really big blokes which I don’t blame him for. Perhaps some help is coming for the match against Baulderstone? I believe Paul Hunter should be available for selection.

Ben Haren confuses me. He is tall with a good reach and shows signs of being a really good utility going forward or back but other times he looks lost. I hope he keeps his place in the team though because I think he’ll be ok.

In the end North had too much firepower in the middle and up forward but I was happy with South’s effort to get back in the game after it threatened to get ugly in the third. Looking forward to another tough game next week against a resurgent Norwood.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby robranisgod » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:24 am

DOC wrote:Don't know for sure but was told yesterday that Billy Hartung would not play again for North.

He is on the Injury List as being out indefinitely so it is quite possible that he won't play again
Injuries happen but North have had a bad run this year.
For the first time for the season there didn't seem to be any new injuries yesterday, perhaps the tide has turned.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby DOC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:51 pm

Norths list is indeed long.

The key this year is how to manage injuries. I think the short season is still keeping clubs thinking on what is the right approach.

I think we got found out yesterday playing an unfit player. North may have had a report yesterday (Young) to add to their list.
DOC
Coach

Postby DOC » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:59 pm

PanthersFan wrote:How did Ben Sawford go in the reserves? Injuries are starting to pile up and we need him in the league side.
Biemans didn’t end up playing, anyone know if that was a precaution or is he out for a long time again? Poor bloke can’t stay on the park.
As already mentioned, Karpany’s injury must be bothering him still. I hope he is ok because he is a game winner when he’s on.

The Panthers showed again they can claw back in to games with a disciplined game plan, just wish we could be more efficient going forward.
Overall played better than he has been and Cailotto was good up forward too along with young Beau McCreery. McGree was good in the ruck and around the ground but still struggles against the really big blokes which I don’t blame him for. Perhaps some help is coming for the match against Baulderstone? I believe Paul Hunter should be available for selection.

Ben Haren confuses me. He is tall with a good reach and shows signs of being a really good utility going forward or back but other times he looks lost. I hope he keeps his place in the team though because I think he’ll be ok.

In the end North had too much firepower in the middle and up forward but I was happy with South’s effort to get back in the game after it threatened to get ugly in the third. Looking forward to another tough game next week against a resurgent Norwood.

Sawford played ok as did Ellsworthy.

Biemans is precautionary I believe. Karpany will be out for a while I would think.

Hunter will be available. I would prefer (as if that matters) that he plays straight away . But I think he plays forward and second ruck. McGree's effort this year has been great, Hunter with Overall and Cailloto or Haren forward will test most defences. Fitt comes straight back in if possible. Biemans if ready plays which means at least 2 have to drop out. Karpany will be one.
DOC
Coach

Postby PanthersFan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:00 pm

DOC wrote:
PanthersFan wrote:How did Ben Sawford go in the reserves? Injuries are starting to pile up and we need him in the league side.

Sawford played ok as did Ellsworthy.

Biemans is precautionary I believe. Karpany will be out for a while I would think.

Hunter will be available. I would prefer (as if that matters) that he plays straight away . But I think he plays forward and second ruck. McGree's effort this year has been great, Hunter with Overall and Cailloto or Haren forward will test most defences. Fitt comes straight back in if possible. Biemans if ready plays which means at least 2 have to drop out. Karpany will be one.

So IF all are available I put in Hunter, Fitt and Biemans with Karpany, Wilkinson and Bogle or Noble out. I think...
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:28 am

Great win, I was pretty nervous pre-game given South's recent from and successes at Prospect in the last few seasons. As saintal said during the game, it was a pretty scrappy and low scoring affair, but quite entertaining nonetheless. Good to bag the win and get a jump on third spot.

South had all the momentum at the 17-18 minute mark of the last quarter when they got back within a point or so, and had their chances to pull ahead and push for victory. Really happy that North was able to rise to the occasion and jag the final goal through Andrew Moore to effectively seal the game. Frank Szekely's check-side snap in the dying minutes was almost goal of the year, unfortunately hit the top of the goalpost. I'm really enjoying seeing his footy talents flourish this season, very evasive and lightning quick. Lewis Hender almost took a mark of the year contender just before halftime, catapulted himself skywards from his opponent's back reminiscent of Tony Modra's grab against North Melbourne in 1993.

Harrison Wigg was North's best for mine, and Tommy Schwarz continued his fantastic form, tough and workmanlike but very effective, and like Wigg found plenty of the pill. Hopefully Alex Barns can make his return in the next week or so, I'm interested to see how the side functions with him, Harvey, and Ramsay up forward, plus a fit James Craig leading the ruck.

Next week we face a Sturt side at Prospect who have a reservation booked at the last chance cafe, and I expect they'll throw the kitchen sink at us to say in touch with the top four. Not sure how they fared re: injuries from today's game, but they'll have one less day's rest than North FWIW.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL