COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby Executive Member » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:05 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Executive Member wrote:
jo172 wrote:The no standing up consumption rule being brought back in is going to put a strain on clubs in the second half of the season.

do what the Vic ammos do - don't serve alcohol during games - only in club rooms after the game

then no strain - if you are relying on serving alcohol to pay the bills in this environment then you have a very poor financial set up

What a stupid idea.

Go sit in the corner and think about your actions.

forgot the smiley faces :oops:
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby laser » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:44 pm

Would the sitting rule apply to outdoor areas?
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Pag » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:49 pm

laser wrote:Would the sitting rule apply to outdoor areas?

Would think it would be all areas that come under the liquor license.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:54 pm

We're all waiting for the formal Declaration and SA Health website update. I'm not sure if the Licensed Area and Licensed Premises are considered one of the same. Licensed Premises would definitely include inside the clubrooms and the balcony for those with two levels but not sure if it includes the area outside the club that is still covered by the licence but not part of the actual 'premises'.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:57 pm

Executive Member wrote:
jo172 wrote:The no standing up consumption rule being brought back in is going to put a strain on clubs in the second half of the season.

do what the Vic ammos do - don't serve alcohol during games - only in club rooms after the game

then no strain - if you are relying on serving alcohol to pay the bills in this environment then you have a very poor financial set up

Well sort of, you can drink if your behind the goals or over on the opposite wing, just can't buy it at the clubrooms. You have to sort of keep it a bit under wraps
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby laser » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:13 pm

Just saw this from Clubs SA.....

Good Afternoon All

It is clear that the State Government is extremely concerned with the events occurring across the Victorian border.

This has resulted in the Premier announcing the following restriction which comes into force from Midnight Tuesday:-

· seated drinking/dining only, inside and outside the licensed venue

We are in the process of confirming if this also includes licensed playing field surrounds.

It appears at this stage that patrons can purchase their drinks and food from bars or similar, however they then must consume either or both whilst seated.

Please note that seated drinking without the consumption of food is permitted.

This can include being seated at a bar, providing 1.5m social distancing is observed.

Of course table service is permitted and encouraged.

It is also clear that the State Government is seriously considering further restrictions. This means the greater the level of compliance by licensees in the current climate, the less likelihood of further restrictions.

As always, as soon as the SAPol Commissioner’s latest Direction comes to hand, we will provide further confirmation and detail.

Finally, although unrelated to licensed venues, please note that private gatherings have been reduced in number from 50 to 10 people.

Hmm a challenge, so they have to sit on chairs? Ie. ask them to sit on the ground picnic style?
laser
Under 16s

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:28 pm

laser wrote:Just saw this from Clubs SA.....

Good Afternoon All

It is clear that the State Government is extremely concerned with the events occurring across the Victorian border.

This has resulted in the Premier announcing the following restriction which comes into force from Midnight Tuesday:-

· seated drinking/dining only, inside and outside the licensed venue

We are in the process of confirming if this also includes licensed playing field surrounds.

It appears at this stage that patrons can purchase their drinks and food from bars or similar, however they then must consume either or both whilst seated.

Please note that seated drinking without the consumption of food is permitted.

This can include being seated at a bar, providing 1.5m social distancing is observed.

Of course table service is permitted and encouraged.

It is also clear that the State Government is seriously considering further restrictions. This means the greater the level of compliance by licensees in the current climate, the less likelihood of further restrictions.

As always, as soon as the SAPol Commissioner’s latest Direction comes to hand, we will provide further confirmation and detail.

Finally, although unrelated to licensed venues, please note that private gatherings have been reduced in number from 50 to 10 people.

Hmm a challenge, so they have to sit on chairs? Ie. ask them to sit on the ground picnic style?

Stay in your car, OR BYO chair - it's not hard...
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Clubs can hire out plastic chairs with purchase of drinks for $1 :D
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Executive Member wrote:

Our board and club members have been busting their balls to make money for the club and to provide a social and sporting outlet for juniors and seniors both male and female.

This will undoubtedly make things more difficult. An obvious example being that we will in all likelihood have to cancel our club ball in August. The extra work that will have to go into the compliance with this rule is significant.

Please elaborate on the revenue streams you have created or expanded upon to make money for your club.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:52 pm

Grow tomato plants.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby Executive Member » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:06 am

The Big Shrek wrote:
Executive Member wrote:

Our board and club members have been busting their balls to make money for the club and to provide a social and sporting outlet for juniors and seniors both male and female.

This will undoubtedly make things more difficult. An obvious example being that we will in all likelihood have to cancel our club ball in August. The extra work that will have to go into the compliance with this rule is significant.

Please elaborate on the revenue streams you have created or expanded upon to make money for your club.

not so much extra revenue streams but very limited costs, reduction in cost of fees/umpires/tape/coach payments/trainers etc etc - the players pay fees that cover off the cost of running the season for 2020. Every Club has very similar set costs, fees/umpires(slightly higher the higher you go up), medical, that is footy related costs

Whilst my initial post was tongue n cheek - the fact remains for 2020 (and for 2020 only) that if as a Football or Sports Club you are relying on bar sales to pay the bills and break even you are running a dangerous business model

Every club's aim should be to break even in 2020 and the associated costs of running a club have drastically decreased

I get those with paid bar staff etc are in a different world than those that have volunteers, however I assume that they were able to get Covid Grants

every club is different and every council is different - I know Salisbury Council have looked after their sporting clubs by waiving (not deferring) the rent for three months

yes its pain in the arse but it sure beats the alternative of not playing at all
Executive Member
Veteran

Been liked: 140 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:03 am

Executive Member wrote:
not so much extra revenue streams but very limited costs, reduction in cost of fees/umpires/tape/coach payments/trainers etc etc - the players pay fees that cover off the cost of running the season for 2020. Every Club has very similar set costs, fees/umpires(slightly higher the higher you go up), medical, that is footy related costs

Whilst my initial post was tongue n cheek - the fact remains for 2020 (and for 2020 only) that if as a Football or Sports Club you are relying on bar sales to pay the bills and break even you are running a dangerous business model

Every club's aim should be to break even in 2020 and the associated costs of running a club have drastically decreased

I get those with paid bar staff etc are in a different world than those that have volunteers, however I assume that they were able to get Covid Grants

every club is different and every council is different - I know Salisbury Council have looked after their sporting clubs by waiving (not deferring) the rent for three months

yes its pain in the arse but it sure beats the alternative of not playing at all

I'd say that up to 90% of a clubs income is generated over the bar, there's not much profit margin on BBQ's, merchandise or even raffles for that matter, unless the prizes etc. are donations.

I think the end of the season can't come quick enough in most cases, that's if we make it through before the next set of restrictions hit us.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby laser » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:17 am

Footy Chick wrote:

As much as I'd like it to be about me; it's about making money for the club without risking the health of our patrons and further to that stuffing up with the ever changing rules being imposed.
laser
Under 16s

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:25 am

laser wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

As much as I'd like it to be about me; it's about making money for the club without risking the health of our patrons and further to that stuffing up with the ever changing rules being imposed.

Sorry laser, that wasn't aimed at you, it was a generalisation :lol: I'm just not quite sure why people think it's harder to sit and drink than it is to stand and drink ;)

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby reppoh_eht » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:27 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Executive Member wrote:

I'd say that up to 90% of a clubs income is generated over the bar, there's not much profit margin on BBQ's, merchandise or even raffles for that matter, unless the prizes etc. are donations.

I think the end of the season can't come quick enough in most cases, that's if we make it through before the next set of restrictions hit us.

90%... :shock:

What about Club's that are part of a community centre and get 0% from the bar income. We are doing just fine through BBQ, Canteen, Player Fees and Sponsorship.
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:34 am

reppoh_eht wrote:

What about Club's that are part of a community centre and get 0% from the bar income. We are doing just fine through BBQ, Canteen, Player Fees and Sponsorship.

Which club is that?

I'm just going from experience after previously running a sports and social club, my percentage may be a bit inflated but we struggled financially in between footy and cricket seasons.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby reppoh_eht » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:39 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
reppoh_eht wrote:

Which club is that?

I'm just going from experience after previously running a sports and social club, my percentage may be a bit inflated but we struggled financially in between footy and cricket seasons.

Well I guess it really depends if we are just talking the 'football club' or the entire 'sports/community club'. Can understand both sides and hopefully those that are struggling are helped by their council as stated above.
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:43 am

Community centres with employees are doing OK due to JobKeeper.

Many well managed clubs will end up in a better financial position at the end of the year due to no player payments
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3492 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:48 am

There is another issue surrounding enforcement that's really to one side of the financial ramifications.

Namely, when your licensed premises is in the middle of a public park there's obviously extreme difficulty in preventing the BYO crowd. The licensee has the ability to control the alcohol it sells. I suspect that we will explore a no taking alcohol outside strategy this week for example.

I just don't want to get a $5,000 fine for a **** who has brought their own into the licensed areas (that in itself of course being unlawful)
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:55 am

jo172 wrote:There is another issue surrounding enforcement that's really to one side of the financial ramifications.

Namely, when your licensed premises is in the middle of a public park there's obviously extreme difficulty in preventing the BYO crowd. The licensee has the ability to control the alcohol it sells. I suspect that we will explore a no taking alcohol outside strategy this week for example.

I just don't want to get a $5,000 fine for a **** who has brought their own into the licensed areas (that in itself of course being unlawful)

Just hand them any fine that their unlawfulness causes the club to receive.

Not much of a supporter if they're not actually supporting the club by bringing their own booze

Footy Chick

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League