New Eagles players

All discussions to do with the SANFL

New Eagles players

Postby MJP1993 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 pm

From the Eagles

WWTFC IS PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING OF TWO VICTORIAN FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

James Tsitas has come from Williamstown; where he has been since the start of 2020 in the pursuit of more VFL games after playing only 10 matches in 2019. He Co-Captained Geelong VFL in 2019, after being named the Geelong VFL B&F in 2017. He has played 92 games during his VFL career; and will commence training with WWTFC this Wednesday; his first game expected to be this Saturday against West Adelaide.

Luke Powell says “James is a quality player and an outstanding young man who we had been trying to get over from Victoria for the past couple of seasons. When the VFL was cancelled early last month, James reached out to us to see if there was an opportunity to come over to SA. James will add to an already strong midfield group and also brings with him great leadership qualities. James is eager to play this week and we are excited to see him in an Eagles guernsey”

The second player joining the Eagles is Sam Lowson. Sam has come over from Coburg Football Club; after playing 34 games with them. Lowson made a fast start to the 2019 season with 13 goals from the opening six games and was widely tipped to be an early selection in the mid year rookie draft – however a foot injury just before the draft sadly wrecked his chances.

Luke Powell says “Sam is another high-quality player from the VFL. Sam has been and continues to be a highly touted draft prospect and we see it as a great opportunity to provide Sam that avenue while also helping our Football Club. Again with the VFL cancelled for 2020 Sam was keen to play football somewhere this season and we are glad we are able to provide him with the chance to do so. Sam is only arriving in SA today so he is still a couple of weeks away from joining the team on the track. Our coaching staff and playing group is excited of the prospect of bringing two quality young men into our Club that we see the potential to be very long servants at the Eagles“

Please join us in welcoming both James and Sam to the Eagles Family.
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: New Eagles players

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:08 pm

Welcome to both of you.

Without having seen either of them play Lowson could be a major acquisition for us up forward as another small-medium forward aside from Rowe that opposition clubs will need to watch carefully.

Tsitas will be harder to gauge as we already have strong midfield which has worked well for us this year.

Probably need to start both in the Reserves for a couple of matches to help them regain their fitness and to get them used to Sheedy's gameplan.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby goddy11 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:33 pm

Glad to have the recruits as their credentials seem very good but how does Sam Lowson get exemption to enter into SA. Essential service?
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 564 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:34 pm

goddy11 wrote:Glad to have the recruits as their credentials seem very good but how does Sam Lowson get exemption to enter into SA. Essential service?

Was thinking the same thing.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MJP1993 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:42 pm

goddy11 wrote:Glad to have the recruits as their credentials seem very good but how does Sam Lowson get exemption to enter into SA. Essential service?

I’ve been blind sided by this entire thing . I contacted a Eagles board member when rumours were a float weeks ago .’
I got told the player first name Sam was BS twice I asked my contact twice told it’s rumours.
Then Capel writes in the paper from the club .
Pity the club took weeks to tell the fans members

But end result two new recruits for the Eagles
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby wedgetail » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:11 pm

MJP1993 wrote:

I’ve been blind sided by this entire thing . I contacted a Eagles board member when rumours were a float weeks ago .’
I got told the player first name Sam was BS twice I asked my contact twice told it’s rumours.

I'm glad the club kept this as a 'need to know' situation. Leaks have happened to our detriment in the past. I'm glad we have been pro-active and assertive in getting these players and hopefully they will be assets.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby MJP1993 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:16 pm

wedgetail wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:

I'm glad the club kept this as a 'need to know' situation. Leaks have happened to our detriment in the past. I'm glad we have been pro-active and assertive in getting these players and hopefully they will be assets.

I should’ve guessed the rumours were right same board member told me Sheedy wasn’t coaching the Eagles.
I am happy we’ve secured recruits
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby ferret » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:43 am

MJP1993 wrote:

"MJP1993", you'll have to put on a better deerstalker.

There were a lot of processes to go through, so why announce something that might not have even happened, it just leaves the club open for ridicule..
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:49 am

Should clubs really be trying to get players over from interstate given the current crisis.

Yes I know there not breaking any laws but being a community club do they not have a greater sense of importance to act somewhat responsibly and lead the way when it comes to protecting our community.

Ill probably cop some crap for saying that but I don't know squeezing last minute recruits from a state which is at the height of the covid crisis is somewhat wrong imo.

Ill leave now.
whufc
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:53 am

whufc wrote:Should clubs really be trying to get players over from interstate given the current crisis.

Yes I know there not breaking any laws but being a community club do they not have a greater sense of importance to act somewhat responsibly and lead the way when it comes to protecting our community.

Ill probably cop some crap for saying that but I don't know squeezing last minute recruits from a state which is at the height of the covid crisis is somewhat wrong imo.

Ill leave now.

I totally agree with you, dont like it at all.

Does it pass the pub test, NO, not at all.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby ferret » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
whufc wrote:Should clubs really be trying to get players over from interstate given the current crisis.

Ill leave now.

I was a bit unsure about the ethical situation, but the Eagles had been after James Tsitas for a couple of years. To probably displace players who had got you to the top of the table is probably distasteful, but all clubs are doing it. The injury list is growing at the Eagles so some depth is needed. The incoming players would have been tested and tested so I don't think there is a health issue.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby MJP1993 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:22 pm

ferret wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:

"MJP1993", you'll have to put on a better deerstalker.

There were a lot of processes to go through, so why announce something that might not have even happened, it just leaves the club open for ridicule..

Funny it was the same day it was first written up in the advertiser.
I didn’t see it but it was put up on the Eagles forum the same day I asked
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby MJP1993 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:23 pm

Ill leave now.

You have three SANFL clubs doing
Eagles
North
Sturt
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:51 pm

MJP1993 wrote:

Ill leave now.

Eagles
North
Sturt

And Centrals.

Just doesn't sit that well with me.
whufc
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:20 pm

whufc wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:

Ill leave now.

Eagles
North
Sturt

And Centrals.

Just doesn't sit that well with me.

Get where you’re coming from bud, and the thought of teams above my own getting stronger sux, but I think the better quality of player clubs can attract usually benefits the standard within the comp. Well done to those clubs being able to attract what on paper appears to be some decent talent.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby blueandwhite » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:41 pm

South have 2 players from Williamstown VFL who have served their time in quarantine here in SA, and are commencing training this week. Whether or not they play or not this week, who knows. Both are clinging to their AFL dream...... hoping to gain attention in a league that is still in operation.
Both are playing for zero dollars as per the salary cap.
Personally I think its a bit rich for some of the more financial clubs to whinge about the opposition recruiting too many top level recruits......
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby JK » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:59 pm

I haven’t seen anyone have a crack at those clubs and not sure why they would?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times

Postby schimma » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:42 pm

Think its going to allow us to play VB back down back. even thou he tore centrals a new one up forward last week.
We're in hell right now gentlemen. Believe me. And we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time.
schimma
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:37 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

Ill leave now.

blueandwhite wrote:South have 2 players from Williamstown VFL who have served their time in quarantine here in SA, and are commencing training this week. Whether or not they play or not this week, who knows. Both are clinging to their AFL dream...... hoping to gain attention in a league that is still in operation.
Personally I think its a bit rich for some of the more financial clubs to whinge about the opposition recruiting too many top level recruits......

I dont have a problem with the clubs recruiting VFL and other interstate players provided they meet all the COVID-19 protocols and are free of it

What I have a potential problem with (and I am unsure if it is occurring) is if they are being recruited with the lure of the job keeper/job saver federal payment

To me that is not what they payment is about. its about protecting existing employees and jobs not new employees.

Happy to be informed that this isn't the case.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:14 pm

am Bays wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Ill leave now.

blueandwhite wrote:South have 2 players from Williamstown VFL who have served their time in quarantine here in SA, and are commencing training this week. Whether or not they play or not this week, who knows. Both are clinging to their AFL dream...... hoping to gain attention in a league that is still in operation.

I dont have a problem with the clubs recruiting VFL and other interstate players provided they meet all the COVID-19 protocols and are free of it

What I have a potential problem with (and I am unsure if it is occurring) is if they are being recruited with the lure of the job keeper/job saver federal payment

To me that is not what they payment is about. its about protecting existing employees and jobs not new employees.

Happy to be informed that this isn't the case.

You have to be with your employer for at least 12 months to be eligible for Job Keepers.
They won't get any more/less federal payment if they stay in Victoria.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL