Round 7 North Adelaide v Sturt Saturday 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 7 North Adelaide v Sturt Saturday 1410

Postby PanthersFan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:16 am

The Roosters host the Double Blues in what shapes as a season defining game for Sturt. Win and they keep pace with the pack but a loss may send them too far back. A lot of changes for Sturt this week and I think North will continue on their winning ways.

My prediction: North Adelaide by 28 points.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Round 7 North Adelaide v Sturt Saturday 1410

Postby locky801 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:40 pm

High scoring 1st 1/4 at prospect

North 0.3
Sturt 0.1

:shock: :shock: :shock:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3698 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby locky801 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:15 pm

Not much better at 1/2 time

North 1.9

Sturt 1.3

:roll: :roll: :roll:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3698 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:20 pm

Sturt kicked theirs on the siren.
North should be at least 5 goals up, hope the shocking kicking doesn't come back to bite us on the bum.
Not a breath of wind and no rain.
Bit chilly though.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:45 pm

19 points :twisted:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:47 pm

Sturt are done for the year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby ChickCock » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:05 pm

Good win u Cocks =P~
ChickCock
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby wedgetail » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:06 pm

Grima lost the players at sturt? Heard from a couple of sources.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:17 pm

Sturt were disappointing today, I expected better, they have some damn good players but something's not right there.
North would have wrapped that game up in the first quarter if not for ridiculously bad kicking. Sturt of old would have made them pay but not today.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby southernbulldog » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:31 pm

Sturt will return to form next week we never win at Unley
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby rocketeer » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:57 pm

wedgetail wrote:Grima lost the players at sturt? Heard from a couple of sources.

Watching the game I was trying to decide if they were soft or were hesitant from lack of confidence because they spent long periods just watching and letting North do what they want. It's the worst I've seen from sturt in years.

I'm very happy to get the win but we'll need to improve over 4 quarters to be a good shot at the flag. Second spot is pretty good though when there's definitely room for improvement.
Last edited by rocketeer on Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rocketeer
Rookie

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Spargo » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:05 pm

wedgetail wrote:Grima lost the players at sturt? Heard from a couple of sources.

Yep, heard the same thing last week.
@Brett what can you share?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Groucho » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:48 pm

It's alright he'll find them again next week. Central will play them back to form. I expect a 6 goal loss.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:30 am

Groucho wrote:

It's alright he'll find them again next week. Central will play them back to form. I expect a 6 goal loss.

go and be negative on our game post, don't drag others down
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Magellan » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:47 am

Watched on the Digital Pass yesterday, and whilst a win is a win, its was horrible to watch. North butchered plenty of opportunities, particularly in the second quarter, and should've put the game beyond doubt at half time. Sturt stuck in there, and I though they had a more than sniff in the last term. Cameron Craig surely must get the three votes (29 possessions from the last line of defence and 14 marks, including a couple of crackers), Harrison Wigg continued his ball-accumulating form, and Andrew Moore was ever reliable at the fall of the ball providing good clearances and touches around the ground. North's defence was also watertight for three quarters, repelled many of Sturt's forward entries with superior numbers at the contest. At the risk of stating the obvious, I suspect Sturt could use some tall timber up forward, as they've still got a core of quality midfield players and creative smaller types.

Some questions for those in the know:

Alex Spina pulled out pre-game, I presume - anyone know why?

Robbie Young was pinged for a deliberate out of bounds when he fisted the ball over the boundary just before half-time - was that a correct decision? Seemed odd to me you could be pinged deliberate for punching the ball out, which happens many times a game.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby robranisgod » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:26 pm

Magellan wrote:Watched on the Digital Pass yesterday, and whilst a win is a win, its was horrible to watch. North butchered plenty of opportunities, particularly in the second quarter, and should've put the game beyond doubt at half time. Sturt stuck in there, and I though they had a more than sniff in the last term. Cameron Craig surely must get the three votes (29 possessions from the last line of defence and 14 marks, including a couple of crackers), Harrison Wigg continued his ball-accumulating form, and Andrew Moore was ever reliable at the fall of the ball providing good clearances and touches around the ground. North's defence was also watertight for three quarters, repelled many of Sturt's forward entries with superior numbers at the contest. At the risk of stating the obvious, I suspect Sturt could use some tall timber up forward, as they've still got a core of quality midfield players and creative smaller types.

Robbie Young was pinged for a deliberate out of bounds when he fisted the ball over the boundary just before half-time - was that a correct decision? Seemed odd to me you could be pinged deliberate for punching the ball out, which happens many times a game.

Spina had his thumb bandaged similar to what Alex Barns has had.
I heard him say to someone he would be back this week.
Robbie Young should have marked the ball. I thought that he made a mistake in two handed punching the ball out. Usually when a player punches the ball out of bounds he is spoiling an opponent. Young didn't have an opponent in front of him to spoil.
I thought the umpire made the correct decision.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 pm

Interesting you say that wedge tail as I heard something similar last year from a reliable source. A lot of the players that left mid-season and some that didn't return this year were attributed to a culture change. You could tell he didn't want to tell me more.
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:01 am

robranisgod wrote:
Magellan wrote:Watched on the Digital Pass yesterday, and whilst a win is a win, its was horrible to watch. North butchered plenty of opportunities, particularly in the second quarter, and should've put the game beyond doubt at half time. Sturt stuck in there, and I though they had a more than sniff in the last term. Cameron Craig surely must get the three votes (29 possessions from the last line of defence and 14 marks, including a couple of crackers), Harrison Wigg continued his ball-accumulating form, and Andrew Moore was ever reliable at the fall of the ball providing good clearances and touches around the ground. North's defence was also watertight for three quarters, repelled many of Sturt's forward entries with superior numbers at the contest. At the risk of stating the obvious, I suspect Sturt could use some tall timber up forward, as they've still got a core of quality midfield players and creative smaller types.

Apart from that effort, Robbie Young played a great game. By the way, I missed on the Digital Pass the incident at the northern end that allowed him to score his first goal early in the third quarter - what happened?

Robbie Young should have marked the ball. I thought that he made a mistake in two handed punching the ball out. Usually when a player punches the ball out of bounds he is spoiling an opponent. Young didn't have an opponent in front of him to spoil.

You're right, as usual, RiG - Rule 17.9.2(b) of the Laws of the game states that a ‘A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Boundary Line and does not demonstrate sufficient intent to keep the football in play.’

Just on Young, I didn't see the incident the gave him the free kick for his first goal just after half time, what happened?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Chrisso » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:50 pm

robranisgod wrote:

Young was correctly penalised. He was in front and should've chosen to mark.

That was one of the worst games I've seen in some time. The Sturt game plan baffled me. They didn't even look like they wanted to score. On a few occasions when they had a free kick on the back of the centre square, they had no one beyond the other side of the square. They continued to kick backwards and side-ways all game, even when they were still 3 goals down mid way through the last quarter they didn't even attack.

I also noticed that Grima was very late to address the players between quarters. North had almost returned to their positions by the time Grima got to his team at 3qtr time. Given they conceded 7 goals in the quarter you'd think he'd be keen to address them, instead of shifting magnets on the board.
Chrisso
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Spargo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:19 pm

Spargo wrote:

Yep, heard the same thing last week.
@Brett what can you share?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Board index   Football  SANFL