Round 7 WWT v West Adelaide Saturday 1335

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 7 WWT v West Adelaide Saturday 1335

Postby PanthersFan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:10 am

Westies make the hard trip to Woodville to take on the unstoppable force that is the Eagles. Unfortunately West dropped the ball last week after a few competitive games whilst the Eagles keep cruising to wins.

My prediction: Eagles by 40 points (possibly more).
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Round 7 WWT v West Adelaide Saturday 1335

Postby ferret » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:12 pm

PanthersFan wrote:Westies make the hard trip to Woodville to take on the unstoppable force that is the Eagles. Unfortunately West dropped the ball last week after a few competitive games whilst the Eagles keep cruising to wins.

Always wary of the bloods. They generally match up well and tend to run us of our feet. Bubble has to burst soon, didn't think we would be going this well.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby wedgetail » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:15 pm

ferret wrote:
PanthersFan wrote:Westies make the hard trip to Woodville to take on the unstoppable force that is the Eagles. Unfortunately West dropped the ball last week after a few competitive games whilst the Eagles keep cruising to wins.

Always wary of the bloods. They generally match up well and tend to run us of our feet. Bubble has to burst soon, didn't think we would be going this well.

Agreed Ferret, most surprised to be in this position. Perhaps a little fortunate too, playing an injury hit North and Norwood and Glenelg at the time being a bit out of sorts. The second half of the season will give a better indication but we should be good enough to beat West.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby robranisgod » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:59 am

wedgetail wrote:
ferret wrote:

Agreed Ferret, most surprised to be in this position. Perhaps a little fortunate too, playing an injury hit North and Norwood and Glenelg at the time being a bit out of sorts. The second half of the season will give a better indication but we should be good enough to beat West.

I think that the Eagles are the best balanced side of all teams. They have strength in all areas whereas I have a query about North's rucks, Norwood's key forwards, South rucks (although Hunter could change that observation ) and Glenelg's depth.
We are not half way yet but unlike some posters I say this sincerely in that the Eagles are the team to beat.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby JK » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:26 pm

robranisgod wrote:
wedgetail wrote:
ferret wrote:

I think that the Eagles are the best balanced side of all teams. They have strength in all areas whereas I have a query about North's rucks, Norwood's key forwards, South rucks (although Hunter could change that observation ) and Glenelg's depth.
We are not half way yet but unlike some posters I say this sincerely in that the Eagles are the team to beat.

I agree, very well balanced outfit the Eagles. (I'd also have concerns over Norwoods defence btw)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mal » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:44 pm

I agree the Eagles look ominous in 2020
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1149 times
Been liked: 903 times

Postby wedgetail » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:10 pm

West tried hard today but with their 'damage limitation' style of football and lack of depth, the Eags were too classy. Mc Neil played his best game for the club today and Lachlan Jones showed why he will be a one season player for us with a commanding display down back. New recruit James Tsitas looked like he will fit in well and has a footy brain.
wedgetail
Under 18s

Postby MJP1993 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:34 am

wedgetail wrote:West tried hard today but with their 'damage limitation' style of football and lack of depth, the Eags were too classy. Mc Neil played his best game for the club today and Lachlan Jones showed why he will be a one season player for us with a commanding display down back. New recruit James Tsitas looked like he will fit in well and has a footy brain.

I agree with you wedgetail
I think with out knowing for certain Sheedy tried players out in the last quarter .
Redden didn’t ruck and the midfielders were rested and the young ones stepped up and ran west off their feet .
Tsitas to me looks like a thinned down Lonergan. And he does have a footy brain .
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby ferret » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:43 am

Usually when a new coach comes in to a club for his first stint at coaching at league level the season appears to get lost with the new coach assessing his players and what they can do. Putting in place new structures that the players have to learn and getting a coaching group together along with recruiting. This I feel was the senario for the Eagles in 2019.

Jade Sheedy hit the ground running from the first training session, he must have done a lot of homework straight after his appointment. He is well organised, has a simple but exciting game plan that the players have quickly adapted to and enjoy playing to. From the start he knew what players he wanted in the team and where they would play. Explored different football competitions to find likely league players ( Seymour and Carcuro). Reviewed the player list to find players that might not have been given great opportunities in the past but had skills he might be able to utilise (Wehr, Comitogianni and Lee). But best off all he has given the youngster a go (Jones, McNeil and Mansell) plus playing many players in the reserves from the 2018 and 2019 premiership teams. Jade Sheedy has been a breath of fresh air for the club.
ferret
Reserves

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:25 am

ferret wrote:Usually when a new coach comes in to a club for his first stint at coaching at league level the season appears to get lost with the new coach assessing his players and what they can do. Putting in place new structures that the players have to learn and getting a coaching group together along with recruiting. This I feel was the senario for the Eagles in 2019.

Jade Sheedy hit the ground running from the first training session, he must have done a lot of homework straight after his appointment. He is well organised, has a simple but exciting game plan that the players have quickly adapted to and enjoy playing to. From the start he knew what players he wanted in the team and where they would play. Explored different football competitions to find likely league players ( Seymour and Carcuro). Reviewed the player list to find players that might not have been given great opportunities in the past but had skills he might be able to utilise (Wehr, Comitogianni and Lee). But best off all he has given the youngster a go (Jones, McNeil and Mansell) plus playing many players in the reserves from the 2018 and 2019 premiership teams. Jade Sheedy has been a breath of fresh air for the club.

Most of the players he has brought in - Seymour, Wehr, Mansell, Jones particularly - can all the kick the ball really well which has been a change from previous years. With three of these players playing in our defensive half this allows us to set up play down back and push forward confidently. Von Bertouch up forward has been a great move and probably a couple of years overdue. It does feel like we will see a 6-7 goal game from him in the coming weeks.

Too early to tell what sort of player Tsitas will be for us after one game. It will be interesting to see where he is at after getting used to Sheed'y gameplan and the rest of the team.

With Thompson, Goldsworthy, Foote, Lonergan (and potentially Lowson) coming back in the next week or so the Club has will be in the nice position of wondering how they will all fit in and who to drop. If they all came back in next week I think the unlucky ones might be Lee, Firns and Pudney. Then the remaining two spots might be any of Rowland, Wehr, Comittogianni and Hall.

The Club hasn't had this much depth in a long, long time.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:58 am

Mr Fuller wrote:
ferret wrote:Usually when a new coach comes in to a club for his first stint at coaching at league level the season appears to get lost with the new coach assessing his players and what they can do. Putting in place new structures that the players have to learn and getting a coaching group together along with recruiting. This I feel was the senario for the Eagles in 2019.

Most of the players he has brought in - Seymour, Wehr, Mansell, Jones particularly - can all the kick the ball really well which has been a change from previous years. With three of these players playing in our defensive half this allows us to set up play down back and push forward confidently. Von Bertouch up forward has been a great move and probably a couple of years overdue. It does feel like we will see a 6-7 goal game from him in the coming weeks.

Too early to tell what sort of player Tsitas will be for us after one game. It will be interesting to see where he is at after getting used to Sheed'y gameplan and the rest of the team.

With Thompson, Goldsworthy, Foote, Lonergan (and potentially Lowson) coming back in the next week or so the Club has will be in the nice position of wondering how they will all fit in and who to drop. If they all came back in next week I think the unlucky ones might be Lee, Firns and Pudney. Then the remaining two spots might be any of Rowland, Wehr, Comittogianni and Hall.

Agree with you both. Tsitas tested the best in field kicking back in his draft year as well - so presume that will be one of his strengths.

Back in 2006 it took the recruitment of Luke Jarrad, with his long raking left foot, to really add that extra dimension to the team. Jones, Wehr and Seymour are all nice long penetrating kicks and McNeill is also a very good kick. Makes the world of difference having replaced the likes of Boyd, Petrenko and Johansen - who were good players, but had b grade level foot skills and no penetration.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby arcadefire » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:29 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:

You mention Rowland, Wehr, Comma and Hall who have all been solid and top contributors although a guy like Poole gets a gold pass although hes slow can't kick more than 30 metres and struggles to find the ball.
arcadefire
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby ferret » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:43 pm

At the moment the only depth we are missing is in the height area, a little bit thin here. Sheedy seems to be able to improvise magically to overcome any deficiencies.
An under stated player is recruit Ryhan Mansell, rarely makes a mistake and gives a bit of dash out of the backlines, always seems to hit a target. Let's hope he has some worthwhile mates down in Tassie he might be able to send our way.
With an influx of U18s from our 2019 premiership team our depth of youngster is looking good. They appear to be improving each week. Those who have impressed me are Zane Williams, Ben Jungfer, Deaken Jackson and Lachy Hoile. While Mitch Mead and Harry Morgan continue to play consistently.
ferret
Reserves

Postby Eagles Nest » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:55 pm

You speak or type very highly of Jade Sheedy Ferret, and rightly so. Not related or a friend of the family are you by chance?
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby ferret » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:03 pm

Eagles Nest wrote:You speak or type very highly of Jade Sheedy Ferret, and rightly so. Not related or a friend of the family are you by chance?

No relation or family friend. Just watched him in action a fair bit and spoken to him a couple of times. It's pretty easy to see he has freshened up the club. Just appears to be a good bloke.
ferret
Reserves

Postby Eagles Nest » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:46 pm

Agreed ferret. You seem to be a very good judge of character
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:37 pm

Eagles Nest wrote:Agreed ferret. You seem to be a very good judge of character

Stop talking Ferrett up, he will get a big head :D

Certainly knows his Eagles better than most though!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby wedgetail » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:01 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

Apparently Ferret is part of the fabric of the club and lives up to his avatar by having the ear of all including the coach.
wedgetail
Under 18s

Postby ferret » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:52 am

wedgetail wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:

Apparently Ferret is part of the fabric of the club and lives up to his avatar by having the ear of all including the coach.

I think I will just crawl back into my hole.
ferret
Reserves

Board index   Football  SANFL