Round 7 Centrals v Glenelg Saturday 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 7 Centrals v Glenelg Saturday 1410

Postby southernbulldog » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:24 am

Hope your right, there is no doubt the boys are trying just need to stay in the match longer and do whatever it takes to hang in .
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby TDJ44 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:58 pm

southernbulldog wrote:Hope your right, there is no doubt the boys are trying just need to stay in the match longer and do whatever it takes to hang in .

We'd want to get off to a better start than the last 2 games there.
8.3 to 0 in 2018 and 7.3 to 0.1 last year.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Groucho » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:18 pm

In the Sunday Mail match report Glenelg Coach, Mark Stone said "Central is a very, very proud club and mighty hard to beat out here and our record at this ground has not been great for many years."

I agree with him in that Central are indeed a very, very proud club. However yesterday's loss to Glenelg was the 11th consecutive loss by Central at Elizabeth. Glenelg won last year at Elizabeth by 49 points and won yesterday by 33 points. I will concede that until last year Glenelg hadn't won at Elizabeth since 2014, with the biggest loss by 97 points in 2017.

Central's record at Elizabeth since 2018 is 6 wins and 17 losses.

2018 5 - 5
2019 1 - 9
2020 0 - 3
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby bulldogproud » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:19 pm

Can't really question the effort of the boys; sadly, we are still making horrible skill errors that are costing us dearly. Glenelg scored 7 goals on Saturday from our basic turnovers with sloppy disposal, both kicks and handballs not hitting targets. Eliminate those (or at least severely reduce them) and we could jag one of the next two games.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby am Bays » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Without wanting to sound like I'm kicking a proud club when they're down, Central look and play like we did under Massie

Get it but are the turnover kings. We used to match sides for scores from stoppages, scores from frees and scores from marks (not to the same extent as the other two) but we used to get slaughtered in scores from turnovers. It wasnt uncommon for opposition scores from turnovers to be the final margin

My other abiding memory of Centrals under Roy was that you's go out there and the ground would be worn out in certain areas. Centrals were so well drilled that you could see their movement patterns at training and sure enough players would run those patterns in games. This meant the player with the ball knew where their team mates were running so they knew where to kick. Centrals under Roy were so efficient.

You had a young lad from Darwin play 18s on the weekend, Brodie Lake. Member of the Gold Coast suns Academy, played the All stars game last AFL GF day but not getting any game time so has come down to enhance his chances of getting drafted.

IF not picked up he'll be a recruit for you next year. Good kid
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:37 pm

am Bays wrote: Central look and play like we did under Massie

Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:51 am

You had a young lad from Darwin play 18s on the weekend, Brodie Lake. Member of the Gold Coast suns Academy, played the All stars game last AFL GF day but not getting any game time so has come down to enhance his chances of getting drafted.

IF not picked up he'll be a recruit for you next year. Good kid[/quote]

Is he 195 cms or taller and 95 kgs or heavier?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1659 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:39 am

gazzamagoo wrote:You had a young lad from Darwin play 18s on the weekend, Brodie Lake. Member of the Gold Coast suns Academy, played the All stars game last AFL GF day but not getting any game time so has come down to enhance his chances of getting drafted.

Is he 195 cms or taller and 95 kgs or heavier?[/quote]
Nope 186 Cm and 70kg. ATM, has a 2.8 s 20 m, and a 21 yo-yo. ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:42 am

am Bays wrote:Without wanting to sound like I'm kicking a proud club when they're down, Central look and play like we did under Massie

Get it but are the turnover kings. We used to match sides for scores from stoppages, scores from frees and scores from marks (not to the same extent as the other two) but we used to get slaughtered in scores from turnovers. It wasnt uncommon for opposition scores from turnovers to be the final margin

My other abiding memory of Centrals under Roy was that you's go out there and the ground would be worn out in certain areas. Centrals were so well drilled that you could see their movement patterns at training and sure enough players would run those patterns in games. This meant the player with the ball knew where their team mates were running so they knew where to kick. Centrals under Roy were so efficient.

Your 100% right about the old Laird style. That clear structure and formation was exactly why Centrals could recruit a player from another club who were ok without being great but then have them fit into the structures immediately and become extremely successful players.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:49 am

I guess the turnovers have to be looked in 3 parts.

-Is it the skill level, are players just simply missing the right targets.
-Are the skills ok but the players are making poor decisions
-Is it the offensive players not running to the right areas making the kickers job impossible

From what I've seen it's probably case of a bit of all 3 which is going to be a tough task to turnaround without simply turning over the playing squad. There will be those that know better than me but I struggle to believe you can improve the kicking skills of 20+ year old player dramatically by the time they reach SANFL level. All the hard yards are done during their junior seasons. I do think however you can educate and improve their knowledge of the game, plan and structure and improve ones decision making over time.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:04 am

am Bays wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:You had a young lad from Darwin play 18s on the weekend, Brodie Lake. Member of the Gold Coast suns Academy, played the All stars game last AFL GF day but not getting any game time so has come down to enhance his chances of getting drafted.

Nope 186 Cm and 70kg. ATM, has a 2.8 s 20 m, and a 21 yo-yo. ;)[/quote]
no thanks.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1659 times
Been liked: 649 times

Postby smac » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:16 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
am Bays wrote:

Nope 186 Cm and 70kg. ATM, has a 2.8 s 20 m, and a 21 yo-yo. ;)

no thanks.[/quote]
Hang on, let's not be hasty. Is it one of those fanta yoyos?

Our skills are terrible, have been for years, it's an indictment on the club if we're realistic, a lot of these kids we're blooding now came through our junior program, pretty basic step to improve their skills.

Having said that, the standard of the comp isn't what it was so applying ourselves for a full game, or at least a lot more than 2 - 2.5 quarters, will see a win at some stage.

Half time raffle still going strong and is the highlight of my day at the footy.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby StrayDog » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:29 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Groucho wrote:Another loss. It was expected but 3 goals better than predicted.

Positives: We kicked more than 10 goals and outscored Glenelg in the 2nd and 4th quarter.
Great games from Troy Menzel, Travis Schiller, Jarrod Schiller and James Boyd. Enjoyed my favourite player Justin Hoskin and 2 goals from Murray Stephenson.
At least the Glenelg supporters enjoyed the game.

Negatives: We lost. 7 to go.

We're getting closer,
I think we'll beat Sturt, we're due for one at Unley & they're not travelling too well at the moment.

Unfamiliar (thankfully) territory for the 'Dogs being, I feel, spoon fortnight against Sturt, who are a game and a half off the bottom, and West, who are a game and only two to three goals of percentage ahead at the mid point.

As much as this year might be an effectively "back to the ol' drawing board", I'd like to think the possibility of this breed being the CDFC's first league spooner in 43 years, and only third overall, will drive every one of our lads to put in their level best.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:48 pm

Some good signs in the Ressies - Connor McLean and Ben Kelly both played very good games; could certainly bolster our forward line. I would also like to see Fraser Fort back in the one's; also good to see Ryan Falkenberg playing again.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby southernbulldog » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:19 pm

I could be facetious and say we wont pick any of them because they are to tall,but surely we must have at least 1 come in
southernbulldog
Reserves

Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:58 pm

southernbulldog wrote:I could be facetious and say we wont pick any of them because they are to tall,but surely we must have at least 1 come in

You were right....all are still in the Ressies! :roll:
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby TDJ44 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:02 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:I could be facetious and say we wont pick any of them because they are to tall,but surely we must have at least 1 come in

You were right....all are still in the Ressies! :roll:

Yep what a joke and we pick Marsh who is not even a good reserves player.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL