Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby valleys07 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Dixon's contested marking last night was a feature, and i'd have him in the best . The one-handed clunk and goal in the 3rd quarter, and that huge pack grab on the outer wing late in the 4th were just monstrous. That sort of thing is what I have been crying out to see since we traded him in.

Whilst Rozee will probably end up having the better career, Butters is the most pure football brain we have had in our side in god knows how long. His skills are just sublime, is positioning on field to influence the contest at all times is just perfect, and he is the benchmark for defensive efforts and one-percenters for PA, IMO. Farrell's goal the best example, where Butters had no right to influence that contest at all.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:11 am

How the Chad Wingard deal changed Hawthorn and Port Adelaide

The Chad Wingard trade was seen as the final piece of Hawthorn returning to premiership contention and Port Adelaide conceding it was time to go back to the drawing board. But things haven’t turned out like that.

When All-Australian Chad Wingard sought a move to Hawthorn in October 2018 Port Adelaide fans were up in arms over the prospect of yet another Power star leaving for the Hawks.

It was nine years after their premiership midfielder Shaun Burgoyne left Alberton, winning three flags after Hawthorn fixed his “dodgy knee”.

But unlike Burgoyne’s move, Wingard’s trade request was prefixed by the Power actually testing the market for their star player.

Ken Hinkley first told Wingard during his exit interview that he needed to improve his attitude around training, then Port told his manager Tom Petoro – who declined to comment – they were happy for him to explore his options a year out from free agency.

“No-one if off the trade table as far as we’re concerned,” Port chairman David Koch said in September 2018 as speculation swirled about Wingard’s future at the Power following his exit meeting.

“If you’re going to be ruthless, to be elite you’ve got to make hard decisions.”

The Wingard trade was seen as the final piece of Hawthorn returning to premiership contention, and Port Adelaide conceding it was time to go back to the drawing board.

Now two years on while Wingard and Hawthorn sit in the middle of the road, the player Hawks coach Alistair Clarkson said wasn’t in his best 22 is well and truly in the strongest side of the ladder-leading Port outfit which used the departure of its star player to load up on high level young talent and revitalise its fortunes.

“Port Adelaide did a lot of work to trade a star and one of their better players out to bring in what turned (out) to be three very good young players,” former Port Adelaide player now North Adelaide senior coach Jacob Surjan said.

“It was a pretty outstanding trade for Port Adelaide I would have thought.”

Clarkson was once asked on AFL 360 if he could have any player at the Hawks who would it be.

The answer was Wingard.

This, Clarkson coaching Wingard when he made the All-Australian team, and a face-to-face meeting when it dawned that the star would be leaving Alberton led to the Power gun choosing the Hawks as his preferred destination over the Western Bulldogs.

A lucrative deal was struck for Wingard to become a Hawk.

But now Hawthorn needed to give Port Adelaide a deal the Power were happy with.

The Hawks had Pick 15 at the upcoming draft, but Hawthorn had not used a top-15 selection at a draft for a decade so that was destined to be part of any deal.

But what were the Hawks willing to also give up?

To say Ryan Burton was blindsided at being included in the trade is an understatement.

The childhood Power fan had just signed a three-year extension to stay at Hawthorn, had finished second in the Rising Star award a year prior and had bought a house in Melbourne.

The smooth-moving defender had even been handed Sam Mitchell’s No. 5 guernsey at the Hawks.

Yet while he was in Las Vegas on a golfing holiday with many of his Hawthorn teammates Burton got a phone call from Clarkson in which the legendary coach told him he was not part of Hawthorn’s best 22 and his future plans.

After thumbing their nose up at the prospects of the now delisted Kieran Lovell and Tim O’Brien coming to Alberton, Port were adamant that Burton was put up as trade bait by the Hawks.

But the Power had always been keen on Burton, but didn’t have a high enough pick to keep him in SA in the 2015 draft.

A four-year lucrative deal put to Burton and manager Marty Pask – who was approached for comment – gave Port some much needed exclusivity from rival clubs for the highly rated prospect.

But with only three days to go of the trade period when Clarkson made the call to Burton the clock was ticking.

Complicating things further was Burton was in Las Vegas and Clarkson had flown to Ireland, leaving Pask and Hawthorn footy manager Graham Wright trying to work out a deal involving multiple time-zones.

Burton leant heavily on Pask, there were many late night/early morning calls.

A deal was struck and Wingard went to Hawthorn and Burton to Port along with pick 15.

But the deals didn’t stop there.

A week before the Wingard/Burton/Pick 15 deal was inked Port arguably made a couple of even more important trades.

Jared Polce, Jasper Pittard and Pick 48 went to North Melbourne for Pick 11 and the Kangaroo’s 2019 fourth round pick.

Then the Power sent that Pick 11, as well as No. 23, No. 30 and No. 49 for the No. 6 selection from Fremantle and the Dockers third round pick in 2019.

That No. 6 selection was then traded to Brisbane in the Wingard trade – eventually facilitating moves for Lachie Neale, Jesse Hogan and Steven May – for Pick 5 and recent Power debutant Sam Mayes, who wanted to come back to SA.

Along with their existing No. 10 selection, the Power now had three picks in the first round – and with their first selection they had a SA gun in mind.

When the Power were trying to convince Burton to come to Alberton, part of the pitch was that they were really confident they could get a really good South Australian in the draft.

Connor Rozee had talent, but was in the shadow of fellow SA prospects Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine during the Under 18 championships.

However during the SANFL final series for North Adelaide in which he was played as a half-back, to the annoyance of Port recruiting manager Geoff Parker because it would increase the appeal for rival clubs, Rozee blasted his way into the upper echelons of the draft class.

“They always liked Connor but I think after Connor’s finals series that he had with us in 2018 projected him from a mid to late first round pick into that top five,” then North Adelaide assistant coach Surjan said.

“And I think after Port Adelaide and a lot of the clubs saw what he did in that finals series and the versatility and upside to his game.”

After getting a player they had really wanted since identifying him in 2016, Port Adelaide took Zak Butters with its second pick of the draft – which had fallen to no. 12.

Hawthorn’s pick 15 was now 18, and with Gippsland captain Xavier Duursma still on the board the phone calls came in thick and fast to the Power.

“There were four or five other clubs who were picking up the phone to Port, offering plenty to get up to Xav,” recalled his manager David Trotter of Hemisphere Management Group.

“But Port put down the phone pretty quickly on those and they knew exactly who they wanted.”

Rozee, Butters and Duursma were outstanding in their first year in the AFL in 2019, confounding some unwarranted assumptions some had about them.

“I remember one club, I can’t remember who, they showed their coach some vision before the draft and they saw Xav and the coach said “oh he is really skinny he will take a while to be able to handle the contest at AFL level”,” Trotter said.

“And the recruiter turned to him and said ‘no he won’t, don’t look at his frame look at the way he plays’”.

Rozee, Butters and Duursma took the AFL by storm in their first season, and have helped Port Adelaide become premiership contenders in their second.

While up until a plucky win over Carlton in Perth last round, the Hawks were facing serious questions about how they could get back to flag contention and their preference to let go of their draft picks for established talent.

Port Adelaide and Hawthorn were approached for comment.

https://www.thefootycorner.com/2020/08/ ... AMBEYervco
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Port Adelaide 2020

Postby RustyCage » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:58 pm

Brilliant game v Richmond. Finals like pressure
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:56 am

Nothing better than getting the test paper back from your teacher with an “A” on the top of it and this morning Hinkley will be handing out 22 of them. I’d imagine it would be a good feeling, didn’t happen to me too often though.

The opening to Saturday’s game was electric to say the least. If the game needed a marker to set the standard it only took 1 minute for Pistol Pete Ladhams to set the benchmark high with a remarkable snap from the boundary. Minutes later Dixon has clunked one and slotted it, Gray hits the board on the run and Amon pin points Butters to have Port 4 goals for the good and flying. It should have been 6 goals to nothing after big Charlie missed two sitters from right in front and it felt like they might be costly as Richmond transitioned the ball with ease from defence to attack and goals to Lynch and two to Riewoldt, the Tigers are also here to play. Ports pressure was immense early, Powell-Pepper in particular showing the type of attack on body and ball that is elite at AFL level in the modern game.

Anyone who watches the game knows Richmond don’t lay down and so it was in the second quarter as they kick 3 of the first 4 for the term and take the lead midway through the term. They’d got their Richmond game going and when they do they’re hard to stop, but this Port side (please, please, please) has a bit more about it. Growth from several players around the 50-60 game mark in Amon, Houston and SPP have given Port some more depth in the midfield to back up the exceptional work of Boak, Wines, Gray and in the last 3 weeks Rockliff. Woodcock, Gray and Amon hit the scoreboard at the Hill end and Port go into half time in front, on top, but wary.

After half time Port’s pressure dropped, partly through Richmond getting their hands on the ball more in space and opening Port up across the middle of the ground, a couple of coast to coast goals to Chol who had a nice match up on Lienert and again Richmond take the lead and hold it at ¾ time. There was a 16 and a half minute test ahead of Port coming and we needed some of our inside mids to get us forward and our back to lock it in. That’s exactly what unfolded.

With some pressure from Woodcock creating a bit of panic in the Richmond back half Butters busts through to give Gray the easiest of his 3 for the day, again it was F50 pressure from Sutcliffe and Boak that get the ball to dangerous space and Houston snaps truly. In the most entertaining of circumstances Rockliff goals on the back of a 100m penalty and the 10,000 at the Portress are in full voice. Magnificent. From here on Port dominate, without hurting the scoreboard, the last quarter. The midfield took total control at the stoppages and kept pumping the ball forward. 18 to 1 I50’s at one point for the term and the back 7 are killing any forward thrust by the Tigers.

Port’s back group held them to just 24 Inside 50’s for the match, their season average is 44. An exceptional job from a group who are starting to win the accolades they deserve and credit to back line coach Brett Montgomery. Anyone who trolls through these reviews know how often I bang on about our back half, they were brilliant on the weekend. Guarding dangerous space, choking ground making it difficult for sides to exit their back half is just one part of the structure. Take note of the work Port’s forwards do when manning the mark when opposition defenders have the ball. There’s pressure in their face, there’s no easy get out kick and the switch is often covered by Ports forwards taking space. The only option is the down the line kick where Jonas and no fuss Clurey are waiting.

In reality though it was in the midfield that Port took the 4 points. Wines, 28 touches, 11 tackles, 10 clearances, 7 I50’s and a goal had to work bloody hard to trump Boak’s 31, 3 tackles, 7 clearances, 7 I50’s and a major. Throw in Rockliff, SPP, Amon, Houston and Gray along with the tandem Lycett and Ladhams combination. Centre clearances Port’s way 20 to 5. 40 to 22 across the field. Brilliant. Wins us the territory, sets up the zone, Richmond get 24 inside 50’s for the match. When you consider they had 17 scoring shots from 24 I50’s and Port missed 4 simple shots on goal the 21 points might just flatter the Tigers a little. Bar the third term Port were well on top in all key indicators.

One of the tougher best players list to pick as I’d love to have several more in there.

Boon’s best – Wines, Gray, Boak, Amon, Ladhams, Rockliff, Butters, Jonas
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:09 am

Jesse White designs a mean Premiership T-Shirt, do you want me to email his contact details to KT, or shall I give them to you to pass on to KT??
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:17 am

am Bays wrote:Jesse White designs a mean Premiership T-Shirt, do you want me to email his contact details to KT, or shall I give them to you to pass on to KT??

Your perseverance is noted. You can stop now. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:25 am

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:Jesse White designs a mean Premiership T-Shirt, do you want me to email his contact details to KT, or shall I give them to you to pass on to KT??

Your perseverance is noted. You can stop now. ;)

I’ll never stop stop stop....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Last time they did that it didn’t end well.

CAD2B436-766B-4616-BF91-86CB78B341A3.jpeg
CAD2B436-766B-4616-BF91-86CB78B341A3.jpeg (23.79 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:34 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Last time they did that it didn’t end well.

I'd still buy one. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:37 pm

The Bedge wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Last time they did that it didn’t end well.

I'd still buy one. :lol:

Only $10 as well
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:57 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

I thought you weren't posting? :lol: :lol:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Trader » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Booney, what are your thoughts on Lienert?
I'm not sold and suspect he's getting by on the back of a strong group around him.
Given we gave away Marshall for nothing, I wonder if we got that one right.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:01 pm

Trader wrote:Booney, what are your thoughts on Lienert?
I'm not sold and suspect he's getting by on the back of a strong group around him.
Given we gave away Marshall for nothing, I wonder if we got that one right.

Howard*

It'll be a long time before I'm comfortable with letting Howard go, I still think it was a mistake, but, I'll have to give the list management some grace as the moves of Wingard, Polec, Pittard, Howard and Ryder have netted us some serious young talent.

Lienert, I think he's capable but a bit in no mans land from his size point of view. At 195cm he's the tallest of our backmen ( Clurey 193cm next ) but he's 88kg, I think he needs/would like to see him to be 3-5kg heavier to be the big key defender.

When Burton is fit he comes back in for Lienert so I think at the moment he's adequate back up but not in our best side. Bit of an issue behind him, Grundy isn't coming on, not helped by this season obviously and Watts might be a long way back, if at all as he's out of contract. Lienert will stay on the list for at least another year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:03 pm

You lost me at Pete Ladhams snap...i swear it was a checkside.... :lol: handy goal though
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

I thought you weren't posting? :lol: :lol:

Nah only semi retired mate. ;)
This work shit is getting in the way of my life though.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby David Brent » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:08 pm

Booney wrote:Nothing better than getting the test paper back from your teacher with an “A” on the top of it and this morning Hinkley will be handing out 22 of them. I’d imagine it would be a good feeling, didn’t happen to me too often though.

The opening to Saturday’s game was electric to say the least. If the game needed a marker to set the standard it only took 1 minute for Pistol Pete Ladhams to set the benchmark high with a remarkable snap from the boundary. Minutes later Dixon has clunked one and slotted it, Gray hits the board on the run and Amon pin points Butters to have Port 4 goals for the good and flying. It should have been 6 goals to nothing after big Charlie missed two sitters from right in front and it felt like they might be costly as Richmond transitioned the ball with ease from defence to attack and goals to Lynch and two to Riewoldt, the Tigers are also here to play. Ports pressure was immense early, Powell-Pepper in particular showing the type of attack on body and ball that is elite at AFL level in the modern game.

Anyone who watches the game knows Richmond don’t lay down and so it was in the second quarter as they kick 3 of the first 4 for the term and take the lead midway through the term. They’d got their Richmond game going and when they do they’re hard to stop, but this Port side (please, please, please) has a bit more about it. Growth from several players around the 50-60 game mark in Amon, Houston and SPP have given Port some more depth in the midfield to back up the exceptional work of Boak, Wines, Gray and in the last 3 weeks Rockliff. Woodcock, Gray and Amon hit the scoreboard at the Hill end and Port go into half time in front, on top, but wary.

After half time Port’s pressure dropped, partly through Richmond getting their hands on the ball more in space and opening Port up across the middle of the ground, a couple of coast to coast goals to Chol who had a nice match up on Lienert and again Richmond take the lead and hold it at ¾ time. There was a 16 and a half minute test ahead of Port coming and we needed some of our inside mids to get us forward and our back to lock it in. That’s exactly what unfolded.

With some pressure from Woodcock creating a bit of panic in the Richmond back half Butters busts through to give Gray the easiest of his 3 for the day, again it was F50 pressure from Sutcliffe and Boak that get the ball to dangerous space and Houston snaps truly. In the most entertaining of circumstances Rockliff goals on the back of a 100m penalty and the 10,000 at the Portress are in full voice. Magnificent. From here on Port dominate, without hurting the scoreboard, the last quarter. The midfield took total control at the stoppages and kept pumping the ball forward. 18 to 1 I50’s at one point for the term and the back 7 are killing any forward thrust by the Tigers.

Port’s back group held them to just 24 Inside 50’s for the match, their season average is 44. An exceptional job from a group who are starting to win the accolades they deserve and credit to back line coach Brett Montgomery. Anyone who trolls through these reviews know how often I bang on about our back half, they were brilliant on the weekend. Guarding dangerous space, choking ground making it difficult for sides to exit their back half is just one part of the structure. Take note of the work Port’s forwards do when manning the mark when opposition defenders have the ball. There’s pressure in their face, there’s no easy get out kick and the switch is often covered by Ports forwards taking space. The only option is the down the line kick where Jonas and no fuss Clurey are waiting.

In reality though it was in the midfield that Port took the 4 points. Wines, 28 touches, 11 tackles, 10 clearances, 7 I50’s and a goal had to work bloody hard to trump Boak’s 31, 3 tackles, 7 clearances, 7 I50’s and a major. Throw in Rockliff, SPP, Amon, Houston and Gray along with the tandem Lycett and Ladhams combination. Centre clearances Port’s way 20 to 5. 40 to 22 across the field. Brilliant. Wins us the territory, sets up the zone, Richmond get 24 inside 50’s for the match. When you consider they had 17 scoring shots from 24 I50’s and Port missed 4 simple shots on goal the 21 points might just flatter the Tigers a little. Bar the third term Port were well on top in all key indicators.

One of the tougher best players list to pick as I’d love to have several more in there.

Boon’s best – Wines, Gray, Boak, Amon, Ladhams, Rockliff, Butters, Jonas

Very solid performance on Sat from your boys Booney. I'm not sure if Port can player at a much higher level than that but if they can look out anyone come finals time.

I thought credit should go to Ken & co for keeping Ladhams in with Lycett back. Balta had been exceptional for us of late but the Dixon match up was always going to be his big test but by selecting the third tall up front Kenny basically ensured that Grimes/Broad had to play tall & weren't going to be able to give Balta a chop out in contests. That's exactly how it played out & if Dixon had kicked straight would have done even more of a number on the young lad & killed the game earlier in the contest.

Sick of the dribble from both supporter sets on twitter claiming who they had missing, can only beat who's out on the park against you & Port did that reasonably comprehensibly on the weekend.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:23 pm

David Brent wrote:Very solid performance on Sat from your boys Booney. I'm not sure if Port can player at a much higher level than that but if they can look out anyone come finals time.

I thought credit should go to Ken & co for keeping Ladhams in with Lycett back. Balta had been exceptional for us of late but the Dixon match up was always going to be his big test but by selecting the third tall up front Kenny basically ensured that Grimes/Broad had to play tall & weren't going to be able to give Balta a chop out in contests. That's exactly how it played out & if Dixon had kicked straight would have done even more of a number on the young lad & killed the game earlier in the contest.

Sick of the dribble from both supporter sets on twitter claiming who they had missing, can only beat who's out on the park against you & Port did that reasonably comprehensibly on the weekend.

I reckon the margin flattered you blokes a little, we missed some sitters early, you got a couple of cheap ones and we kept you to 24 I50's and you scored on 17 of them. I felt like we were 4 or 5 goals better on the day, but Richmond are a quality unit and that's what good sides do, keep themselves in it.

Most pleasing for me was the Tiges got going twice and we fought back both times, not many sides have done that to them in recent times.

Interesting selection coming up for you blokes, I've never rated Nankervis but we touched up Soldo on the weekend. Is there a bloke who looks more like an Ivan Soldo should, than Ivan Soldo? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:36 pm

Have heard it mentioned a few times now that Hinkley is coaching better and smarter this year.
I have seen bugger all footy this year so just wondering how he is?
I’m not a big fan of his but he must be doing something different surely?
Last edited by amber_fluid on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:39 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Have heard it mentioned a few times now that Hinkley is coaching better and smarter this year.
I have seen bigger all footy this year so just wondering how he is?

I wonder if it's got anything to do with the smaller coaching panels game day - rooms not full of assistants and assistants for assistants.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Trader » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:59 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Have heard it mentioned a few times now that Hinkley is coaching better and smarter this year.
I have seen bugger all footy this year so just wondering how he is?

For mine the big thing is how we are using Dixon.
Previously he was on the wings and half back flanks then sprinting back to goal.

He's by no means a stay at home Full Forward like Dunstall back in the day, but he's spending a lot more time in front of the footy this year.

This is giving us a real structure, and we can attack from half back knowing the big fella will get to the contest as he's not standing next to the half back who is looking to play on.
Our small forwards are also able to get into the right spaces more often as they know if they get to Charlie's feet they've got a real chance of being in the play.

The other thing that's improved for mine is we have a bit of pace. Nothing lightning quick, but certainly less reliant on the plodders we previously had. (SPP, Wines, Rockcliff, Ebert, Boak vs Duursma, Rozee, Amon, Houstan).
Don't get me wrong, still a lot of those guys floating around, but the injection of some speed has certainly helped.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL