Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:09 pm

Trader wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Have heard it mentioned a few times now that Hinkley is coaching better and smarter this year.
I have seen bugger all footy this year so just wondering how he is?
I’m not a big fan of his but he must be doing something different surely?

For mine the big thing is how we are using Dixon.
Previously he was on the wings and half back flanks then sprinting back to goal.

He's by no means a stay at home Full Forward like Dunstall back in the day, but he's spending a lot more time in front of the footy this year.

This is giving us a real structure, and we can attack from half back knowing the big fella will get to the contest as he's not standing next to the half back who is looking to play on.
Our small forwards are also able to get into the right spaces more often as they know if they get to Charlie's feet they've got a real chance of being in the play.

The other thing that's improved for mine is we have a bit of pace. Nothing lightning quick, but certainly less reliant on the plodders we previously had. (SPP, Wines, Rockcliff, Ebert, Boak vs Duursma, Rozee, Amon, Houstan).
Don't get me wrong, still a lot of those guys floating around, but the injection of some speed has certainly helped.

Speed through the midfield with a big fella staying at home up forward is a pretty good recipe I’d say.
Not really rocket science though.

Never thought Jonas was a good player let alone captain material but I certainly got that one wrong.
He’s as important as Dixon and Gray are to the side

Can Rockliff, SPP, Ebert and Wines all play in the one side?

From what I’ve seen this year Amon seems to have found another gear as well, both pace and skill.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:28 pm

amber_fluid wrote:From what I’ve seen this year Amon seems to have found another gear as well, both pace and skill.

Amon would have to be close to the most improved player in the competition this season?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Corona Man » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:38 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Trader wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Have heard it mentioned a few times now that Hinkley is coaching better and smarter this year.

Previously he was on the wings and half back flanks then sprinting back to goal.

He's by no means a stay at home Full Forward like Dunstall back in the day, but he's spending a lot more time in front of the footy this year.

This is giving us a real structure, and we can attack from half back knowing the big fella will get to the contest as he's not standing next to the half back who is looking to play on.
Our small forwards are also able to get into the right spaces more often as they know if they get to Charlie's feet they've got a real chance of being in the play.

The other thing that's improved for mine is we have a bit of pace. Nothing lightning quick, but certainly less reliant on the plodders we previously had. (SPP, Wines, Rockcliff, Ebert, Boak vs Duursma, Rozee, Amon, Houstan).
Don't get me wrong, still a lot of those guys floating around, but the injection of some speed has certainly helped.

Speed through the midfield with a big fella staying at home up forward is a pretty good recipe I’d say.

Never thought Jonas was a good player let alone captain material but I certainly got that one wrong.

From what I’ve seen this year Amon seems to have found another gear as well, both pace and skill.

Reading the above, I’d say you’re on board Amber?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:09 pm

Corona Man wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Trader wrote:

Reading the above, I’d say you’re on board Amber?

Nah mate just trying to give some credit where it’s due.
I’ve bagged them for years so got to have some balance.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:07 am

PORT ADELAIDE will combine a celebration of Indigenous history and culture with its 150th anniversary celebrations in 2020, with its special guernsey for the Sir Doug Nicholls Round to pay homage to all of the club’s past and present Indigenous players.

Featuring small boomerangs which carry the names of each of the 62 Indigenous players to represent the club, the guernsey designed by Kaurna custodian Karl "Winda" Telfer aims to retell the stories of old and open up new conversations around Indigenous relations.

It is a return to a white guernsey for Port Adelaide in 2020, having worn black guernseys in the past two seasons.

In his own words, Winda explains the cultural symbols he has used in his design, called "Bukko Tjidna – Bare Foot” to honour all of those who came before us and to respectfully walk softly alongside the footprints of the ancestors.

“There has always been an understanding and respectful relations between our peoples, especially in the Port Adelaide area,” he told portadelaidefc.com.au.

“So, this design I have done will hopefully retell the stories of old and open up new conversations and connections and further deepen respectful relationships for our peoples, cultures and our game.

“I have drawn inspiration from 1891 to present day to bring the living culture and history together with strength, respect and pride for all the achievements and contributions our first nations Aboriginal people have made and continue to do so.”

Here are the key features of the design:
Kuraka woppa - The four feathers of the Magpie: The four feathers of Kuraka Woppa – Magpie Feathers represent, the players, the coaches and staff, the supporters and the game. The feathers symbolise the bird which is the spirit totem of the Port Adelaide Football Club. The Red Gum trees are strong and stand as pillars of strength.

Mullabakka – The four shields represent the warrior brotherhood of the team. Guiding, defending, protecting and looking after each other on and off the field of contest.

Winda – The four spears represent the club tradition - fly straight, stand strong, run together, hit hard, honour the club and guernsey on the field and hunt with power and aggression and be respected as warriors of the club.

Meyunna Kuri – The centre circle represents the generations of people coming together, the outer circle are men represented by the red, the yellow circle represents the women and in the older people and children are represented by the white larger centre circle. This centric symbol speaks of the power, strength and connection the club has to the past, future and today’s generations.

Wadna - The two large Boomerangs facing each other represent the long-standing relationship that the First Nations Aboriginal players and community have had with the Port Adelaide Football Club and wider community in the Port Adelaide region. The two Boomerangs have the black and white lines at each end to represent our peoples coming together through the culture of football. There is an element of fear for the opposition when the Boomerangs are held in the hands of the warriors when they take to the field to contest. They also speak to the Prison Bars which to this day, also incite fear in opposition teams. The Teal and White are the current colours representing the evolution of Port Adelaide into the AFL. The three lined breaks towards the ends and middle of the Boomerangs represent the passing on of stories and the knowledge of the game to the younger generations.

Turtpa Wadna – The small Boomerangs carry all the names of the 62 past and present First Nations Aboriginal players who have graced the field with their brilliance, flair and craft for the Port Adelaide Football Club since Harry Hewitt in 1891. One of those Boomerangs has become a permanent reminder of the contribution our people have made to our National sport and the culture of the game at Adelaide Oval.

The guernsey also features the Santos logo on the back for the first time. The club is thrilled to feature the logo as an acknowledgement of Santos’ support of the club and its industry-leading Indigenous programs.

For more than 12 years, Santos has supported the Santos Aboriginal Power Cup, which has seen over 4000 Indigenous secondary school students participate in an educational program which features an annual football carnival.

The winning girls’ and boys’ teams get to play off in a curtain raiser at Adelaide Oval as a reward for completing their studies.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:11 am

Great design
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 am

Meaningful, great story and history to it. Love it.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:50 am

Having all the indigenous players names on it is a nice touch.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:06 am

Only 62 indigenous players in 150 years? Surely there are more?

Looks great
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:09 am

Dutchy wrote:Only 62 indigenous players in 150 years? Surely there are more?

What's the most you can recall in one team at one time? What's the most you can recall on a list at one time?

Would think at best you'd have 7 or 8 in a season on a list over the journey.

62 over 150 years equates to around 2 new players each year.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:16 am

The Bedge wrote:

What's the most you can recall in one team at one time? What's the most you can recall on a list at one time?

yeah fair call, when you think of recent times you think of the nigh number of indigenous players they have had and their programs so you automatically think 62 is low, but then think back to the 80/90's and can't remember of the top of my head them having many back then, apart from Wanganeen.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:18 am

Ross Agius comes to mind from that era.

Edit - he was more 70's on reflection
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:26 am

Dutchy wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

yeah fair call, when you think of recent times you think of the nigh number of indigenous players they have had and their programs so you automatically think 62 is low, but then think back to the 80/90's and can't remember of the top of my head them having many back then, apart from Wanganeen.
off the top of my heap from the 80’s and 90’s
O’Loughlin
McLeod
Wanganeen
Bond brothers
Eugene Warrior
Fabian Francis
Burgoyne’s
Cockatoo-Collins
Think Michael O’Brien and Brenton Owens were around the 80’s aswell??
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:30 am

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/ ... -and-sanfl

Get around Richie Bray - 77 games which included 3x flags!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:35 am

Looks great

I'd think the ratio is a lot higher with Port Power, there's been a strong indigenous presence during this time.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:37 am

AFL
Gavin Wanganeen
Peter Burgoyne
Shaun Burgoyne
Byron Pickett
Che Cockatoo-Collins
Shane Bond
Daniel Motlop
Danyle Pearce
Fabian Francis
Wade Thompson
Elijah Ware
Marlon Motlop
Brendon Ah Chee
Chad Wingard
Jake Neade
Derek Murray
Allan Murray
Nathan Krakouer
Jarman Impey
Karl Amon

SANFL
Malcolm Cooper
Wilf Huddleston
Peter Tallman
Richie Bray
Ross Agius
Keith Nicholls
Gavin Wanganeen
Fabian Francis
Che Cockatoo-Collins
Peter Burgoyne Snr
Peter Burgoyne
Shaun Burgoyne
Byron Pickett
Shane Bond
Troy Bond
Ricky O'Loughlin
Stephen O'Brien
Michael O'Brien
Eugene Warrior Snr
Eugene Warrior Jnr
Graham Johncock
Andrew McLeod
David Cockatoo-Collins
Donald Cockatoo-Collins
Jason Cockatoo
Brenton Owens
Harry Miller
Corey Ah Chee
Luke Wilson
Anthony Wilson
Michael Clinch
Joel Tessman
Peter Lindsay
Brian Stanislaus
Aaron Davey
Alwyn Davey
Tim Milera
Terry Milera
Brendon Ah Chee
Jake Neade
Karl Amon
Robbie Young
Nathan Krakouer
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:40 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Looks great

I'd think the ratio is a lot higher with Port Power, there's been a strong indigenous presence during this time.

Yeah just from a quick look 11 of them haven't played this century, so very much a Port Power thing rather than Magpies.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Corona Man » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:43 am

Donald Dickie?
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:44 am

Corona Man wrote:Donald Dickie?
Sheep shagger
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:45 am

Dutchy wrote:Yeah just from a quick look 11 of them haven't played this century, so very much a Port Power thing rather than Magpies.

Think more a sign of the times in the early days - cant imagine there would've been many aboriginal footballers running around at league level through most of the 1900's.

Also Port Adelaide would've had plenty still come through the junior ranks, but not go on to senior level, or leave and head interstate.

Wonder how many talented aboriginal players would've had the drive and commitment back in the day also - support networks wouldn't be like they are now.
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL