Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby Tiger83 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:09 pm

bluebagger wrote:Yank back to it old ways or did they have a few out ?

5 first choice A Graders out but wasn’t the reason they lost the way they did.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby grasshopper22 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Tiger83 wrote:
bluebagger wrote:Yank back to it old ways or did they have a few out ?

5 first choice A Graders out but wasn’t the reason they lost the way they did.
Which first choice players where missing Tiger? Must say I thought that game was going to be much closer. Looks as though Willunga still had some key players missing also. Warmington, Hunt to name a couple. Has Brian Fenton fronted up this year for the Demons?

Great contests at the Bay yesterday in both senior grades. Two very good games in trying conditions.
Mclaren looked all over the Bays early in the Ones but missed some pretty straight forward set shots early and didn’t have the lead that they could have. Bays hung in there and got their game going in the second quarter and Mclaren found it very hard to break through their set up and move the ball fluently from one end to the other as they did early on.
Number 12 I think it was for Mclaren yesterday the one that runs around like he has tennis balls under his armpits, he would have to make supporters cry weekly wouldn’t he? Gee he’s undisciplined and does some stupid things in the defensive half, more times that not they result in goals to the opposition.

Huge game next week in the context of the season for both Encounter Bay and Strathalbyn. Strath looked to have a lot of key players missing yesterday. Martin, Simmons, Greenbank, Pegler, Duffield to name a few obvious ones who have been playing in recent weeks. So I wouldn’t be reading to much into the result against Compass with those outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grasshopper22
Reserves

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby bluemaidstone » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:45 pm

I actually went and watched the W v Y game . WOW .. Yank were very very average . Willunga were very good. How much the one off sets the other is another argument. Yanks short 45 degree kicking game plan will never work , they don't have the skill and also it is so predictable you can read it from the sidelines. Thomas and Fittock out yesterday , not certain who the other 3 were Tiger . Also you would have to wonder why Yank would play a 38/9 year old bloke from KI ahead of some of the young local lads running around in the 2's.
bluemaidstone
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby bluebagger » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:35 pm

bluemaidstone wrote:I actually went and watched the W v Y game . WOW .. Yank were very very average . Willunga were very good. How much the one off sets the other is another argument. Yanks short 45 degree kicking game plan will never work , they don't have the skill and also it is so predictable you can read it from the sidelines. Thomas and Fittock out yesterday , not certain who the other 3 were Tiger . Also you would have to wonder why Yank would play a 38/9 year old bloke from KI ahead of some of the young local lads running around in the 2's.
Tigers played with 15 of 15 points

Demons played with 4 of 9 points.

That’s a huge difference
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:43 am

bluemaidstone wrote: Also you would have to wonder why Yank would play a 38/9 year old bloke from KI ahead of some of the young local lads running around in the 2's.

Creeks have been playing a 43 y.o. from M Bridge in recent weeks ahead of A Grade Premiership players in their mid 20s.
And have been justified by the results
I guess it's only when you lose questions get asked?
No idea about the guy from KI but i'm guessing they rate him in their best 21 available ?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby field of dreams » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:42 am

[quote="jackpot jim”]
Creeks have been playing a 43 y.o. from M Bridge in recent weeks ahead of A Grade Premiership players in their mid 20s.
[/quote]
He has pedigree!!

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Tiger83 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:04 am

bluemaidstone wrote:I actually went and watched the W v Y game . WOW .. Yank were very very average . Willunga were very good. How much the one off sets the other is another argument. Yanks short 45 degree kicking game plan will never work , they don't have the skill and also it is so predictable you can read it from the sidelines. Thomas and Fittock out yesterday , not certain who the other 3 were Tiger . Also you would have to wonder why Yank would play a 38/9 year old bloke from KI ahead of some of the young local lads running around in the 2's.

Thomas, Fittock, Fisher, Kelly so maybe 4. All very handy players and all forwards so goes a part of the way explaining why they didn’t kick a great score. Mind you, need to get your hands on it to be able to turn it into scores, and they were just outplayed. Huge game this week against Compass to be any chance of making the finals. Should be a cracker
. In terms of Willson playing, they needed to bring in a bigger key forward and with his experience he was the logical choice. Easy to say it was a poor decision after a loss, but was the most appropriate choice. He’s kicked over 900 career goals and won multiple Mail Medals so he was a more than capable choice.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Postby LuvsFooty » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:29 pm

The old blokes still have a place at A Grade level . You know what you’ll get and they can play a role

Kahl - high 30’s and still more than holding his own as a pinch hit big man
Mccardle - high 30’s and kicks the sealer after 14 years off
Kartinyeri - early 40’s, plays like he’s 28
Duffield - early 40’s and hasn’t shrunk
Miles - mid 30’s. You’d pick him in your side
Hoban - getting on but still the premiere ruck
Burdett - he’d have to be late 30’s too and still dominating
Portlock - old and coming off injuries but he’d be handy in most sides
Wilson - don’t know him, but fair record and if they needed a tall it might have been there only option
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby oldbomber » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:32 pm

bluebagger wrote:
Tigers played with 15 of 15 points

Demons played with 4 of 9 points.

That’s a huge difference

Should be more than 15 pts as Tigers have been getting some favours from the league too. One ex strath player is meant to be worth points still however league ok'd to wipe him to zero because he lives locally is what i am hearing. An absolute joke if true. Plenty of gun footballers moved town with work and didnt get a free ride from the league.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:51 am

oldbomber wrote:Should be more than 15 pts as Tigers have been getting some favours from the league too. One ex strath player is meant to be worth points still however league ok'd to wipe him to zero because he lives locally is what i am hearing. An absolute joke if true. Plenty of gun footballers moved town with work and didnt get a free ride from the league.

WTF???
Who is the ex strath player?
Willson played as a zero pointer Saturday. He should be 2 surely???

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby grasshopper22 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:32 am

field of dreams wrote:
oldbomber wrote:Should be more than 15 pts as Tigers have been getting some favours from the league too. One ex strath player is meant to be worth points still however league ok'd to wipe him to zero because he lives locally is what i am hearing. An absolute joke if true. Plenty of gun footballers moved town with work and didnt get a free ride from the league.

WTF???

Spot on, he should be 3 points if he played more A grade than Reserves last season on the Island.

grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby Tiger83 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:33 am

field of dreams wrote:

WTF???

Willson played at Yank a long time ago for a season or 2 so he is a 0pointer. Yank also play at least 2 senior colts every game so that’s -2.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Postby grasshopper22 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:45 am

Tiger83 wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

WTF???

Willson played at Yank a long time ago for a season or 2 so he is a 0pointer. Yank also play at least 2 senior colts every game so that’s -2.
Makes sense then.

grasshopper22
Reserves

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:58 am

Tiger83 wrote:Willson played at Yank a long time ago for a season or 2 so he is a 0pointer. Yank also play at least 2 senior colts every game so that’s -2.

Fair enough if so. 25 games?? Must've been a looong time ago as a kid - Think we'd remember someone with his credentials playing!! 6 medals, 2 R/U..dating back to 2003. and 932 goals!

According to sportsTG, Yank have played with 15 (out of 15) every week, including the -1 allocated for the senior colt. They have only played one each week (not at least 2).

I know its a weird year and we should be thankful to have a full competition running but it does raise the eyebrows when they pulled the pin early and now rumours of points being waived. It's hard for everyone......
Its fantastic that their star recruits are out there esp when the $$ bidding war for some of them was crazy. ;)

Also, it seems Pongy have been allocated an extra 2 points this year. 17 instead of the 15 they should have. I can understand that given they won 1 game last year. They've only played 17pts in the first 2 rounds.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby oldbomber » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:13 pm

field of dreams wrote:

WTF???

C. Clark is the ex strath player. I just checked results on last years rnd 18 Yank game and surprise surprise he was 3 points. Now all of a sudden this year he is 0!! Not the 2 he should be as you lose 1 point every year. Its a miracle!! Or someone high up is giving Yank the odd favour here? Would love to hear more about this and some accountability from the people up higher that approved this. Have they now opened a loophole for other clubs to exploit?
Does that mean every time a gun player moves town with a job set up by a footy club for example they too can apply to be zero points? Have to be fair and consistent i say...

Not Yanks fault for asking but never have i heard of this request being approved by any other league around the state.

Clarky having a great year too been high up in their best 3 of 5 games. Good luck to him and Yank but along with many other rumours/stories spreading around the place and with their shallow threat they retracted of not playing this year its all looking very very dodgy as far as im concerned
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:51 pm

oldbomber wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

WTF???

C. Clark is the ex strath player. I just checked results on last years rnd 18 Yank game and surprise surprise he was 3 points. Now all of a sudden this year he is 0!! Not the 2 he should be as you lose 1 point every year. Its a miracle!! Or someone high up is giving Yank the odd favour here? Would love to hear more about this and some accountability from the people up higher that approved this. Have they now opened a loophole for other clubs to exploit?
Does that mean every time a gun player moves town with a job set up by a footy club for example they too can apply to be zero points? Have to be fair and consistent i say...

Not Yanks fault for asking but never have i heard of this request being approved by any other league around the state.

Clarky having a great year too been high up in their best 3 of 5 games. Good luck to him and Yank but along with many other rumours/stories spreading around the place and with their shallow threat they retracted of not playing this year its all looking very very dodgy as far as im concerned
Check the rules, a returning player who does not qualify as a zero because of not enough games is assessed at full points value the first year, but zero points each season for that club thereafter.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Check the rules, a returning player who does not qualify as a zero because of not enough games is assessed at full points value the first year, but zero points each season for that club thereafter.

Yes. If Clark has previously played at Yank that would apply.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Tiger83 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:36 pm

field of dreams wrote:
Tiger83 wrote:Willson played at Yank a long time ago for a season or 2 so he is a 0pointer. Yank also play at least 2 senior colts every game so that’s -2.

Fair enough if so. 25 games?? Must've been a looong time ago as a kid - Think we'd remember someone with his credentials playing!! 6 medals, 2 R/U..dating back to 2003. and 932 goals!

Was way back around 2008-9 before the APPS came in.

Tiger83
Under 18s

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:20 pm

Tiger83 wrote:Was way back around 2008-9 before the APPS came in.

Seems unlikely..

2003 - B&F, Ozone Medal, Mail Medal
2004 - R/U Mail Medal
2005 - B&F, Ozone Medal
2006 - B&F
2007 - B&F, Mail Medal
2008 - B&F, Ozone Medal, Mail Medal
2009 - B&F, Ozone Medal, Mail Medal
2010 - B&F, Ozone Medal
2011 - Mail Medal
2012 - played all year inc finals
2013 - R/U Mail Medal
2014 - Mail Medal, Leading Goalkicker
2015 - Played 17 games
2016 - Leading Goalkicker
2017 - Leading Goalkicker
2018 - 6 Games
2019 - 14 Games

this is not an exhaustive list of his achievements. probably more B&Fs and goal kicking awards
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby DoublebluTiger » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 pm

It does seem likely when Great Southern comp starts pretty much a month before the K.I. comp does and thus he would play three or 4 games for Yank before returning to Dudley for the commencement of their season.
Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Been liked: 50 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy