AFL 2020 Season

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2020 Season

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Its the inconsistency of what constitutes a strike that's giving me the irrates!

An open hand strike to the face, guts, balls, wherever should be a suspension.

It has the potential to do similar damage to a closed fist.

Police it right and the players will know not to do it.

I played in the 80's and 90's so I accept that its inherently a violent game.

But a strike is just that.... a strike!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:32 pm

Still yet to hear anything on Stephenson's apparent covid breach?

Someone being very mischievous.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:56 pm

JK wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
JK wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Said it before that Mitch is one of my favorite players, taken a long time for people to catch on

I’ve always liked Mitch’s fearless approach to ball and body.

Lynch’s actions causing too much hysteria imho, whacked a bloke in the guts and you’d think he’d king hit someone. Not legal obviously, but who doesn’t want blokes that cross the line in their side? Certainly added plenty to the theatrical side of the game the other night.

**** the reaction. Hitting someone in the guts and getting a goal out of it is bullshit. Guy is a dead set flog. Against Brisbane he whacked a dude in the back of the head when he was lying on the ground. **** Lynch he's an utter spanner. Do it when they are facing you if you want to cross the line, not when they aren't looking. Wanker.

regards,

REB

Only enjoyed footy the last few years mate? Lynch Might be a flog, but can’t believe the outrage from so many especially those that followed the game in 80’s and 90’s (or longer)

Never was a fan of hitting a bloke when he's not looking. Not in the 80s not now. Reckon I've seen just as much footy as you and this shit is soft, not hard. Like I said, do it facing the bloke.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby RB » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Reckon I've seen just as much footy as you and this shit is soft, not hard.

Correct.

regards,

RB
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby LMA » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:24 pm

tigerpie wrote:Still yet to hear anything on Stephenson's apparent covid breach?

QLD Premier swept it under the carpet in exchange for the 2020 GF hosting rights.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby stan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:44 pm

LMA wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Still yet to hear anything on Stephenson's apparent covid breach?

QLD Premier swept it under the carpet in exchange for the 2020 GF hosting rights.
Too bad Mitch Clearly didn't use up his first life, would have run with it if he didn't need the job.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:13 am

LMA wrote:

West Coast will be hoping like hell they don't hold the Granny at the Gabba. Not a happy hunting ground for the Weagles. Cats will be hoping it isn't in Perth as would Brisbane. Port will....pfft...won't make it and we all hope Richmond sod off.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:20 am

RB wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Reckon I've seen just as much footy as you and this shit is soft, not hard.

Correct.

regards,

RB

Dane Rampe playing with a broken hand for a few weeks...now that's hard.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:56 am

Ok, happy to agree to disagree, I enjoyed the “unsociable Hawks” era too. Just don’t think this incident is as big as its being made out to be. Understand I’m probably in the minority.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:39 am

JK wrote:Ok, happy to agree to disagree, I enjoyed the “unsociable Hawks” era too. Just don’t think this incident is as big as its being made out to be. Understand I’m probably in the minority.

I’m with you.
The wife hits me harder than that.

The game is soft these days.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2514 times

Postby mots02 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:54 am

amber_fluid wrote:
JK wrote:Ok, happy to agree to disagree, I enjoyed the “unsociable Hawks” era too. Just don’t think this incident is as big as its being made out to be. Understand I’m probably in the minority.

I’m with you.

The game isn't soft and i don't think the game has every condoned or applauded players punching someone else in the guts when they weren't looking.

The difference today is that the player can do it comfortable in the knowledge that no retribution is coming straight back. Do that in the pre-trial by video era and Lynch would have copped a right hook to the head.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby JK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:07 am

mots02 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

I’m with you.

The game isn't soft and i don't think the game has every condoned or applauded players punching someone else in the guts when they weren't looking.

The difference today is that the player can do it comfortable in the knowledge that no retribution is coming straight back. Do that in the pre-trial by video era and Lynch would have copped a right hook to the head.

The flipside is the players also don’t have the awareness of what could be coming because they don’t need to these days. I agree the game isn’t soft, there’s still strong, fast and hard bodies cracking in, but when a forceable shove off becomes such a drama I reckon we’ve gone too far with sanitization.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:13 am

mots02 wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

I’m with you.

It was a love tap and nothing more
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:14 am

Surprised no ribs were broken

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:25 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Surprised no ribs were broken

His feelings were hurt though
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:55 pm

JK wrote:The flipside is the players also don’t have the awareness of what could be coming because they don’t need to these days. I agree the game isn’t soft, there’s still strong, fast and hard bodies cracking in, but when a forceable shove off becomes such a drama I reckon we’ve gone too far with sanitization.

1 cheap shot, whatever. Tough guy.

2 cheap shots, you're a prick. Especially when the bloke is on the ground and you whack him in the head.

3 cheap shots and you play for an AFL darling and it goes without penalty ( don't go telling me $1000 is a penalty to Lynch ) and it's a bad look when there's no way the bloke copping it can retaliate.

That's what's happened here.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:58 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Pretty sure if I love tapped your solar plexus, liver, or kidneys from behind you'd want retribution... when you recovered.

That's why they've stamped down on it.
Love tap or strike....doesn't matter.

Back in the day I'd get shirt fronted with a solid hip and shoulder for striking you by one of your team mates.
Can't do that now for fear of a massive suspension and hammered in the media.

Games changed. Strike anywhere...love tap, open hand, whatever its automatic suspension in my book.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby JK » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:The flipside is the players also don’t have the awareness of what could be coming because they don’t need to these days. I agree the game isn’t soft, there’s still strong, fast and hard bodies cracking in, but when a forceable shove off becomes such a drama I reckon we’ve gone too far with sanitization.

2 cheap shots, you're a prick. Especially when the bloke is on the ground and you whack him in the head.

3 cheap shots and you play for an AFL darling and it goes without penalty ( don't go telling me $1000 is a penalty to Lynch ) and it's a bad look when there's no way the bloke copping it can retaliate.

Only commented on the one incident mate, I haven't seen the other one you're referring to (obviously it doesn't sound great) - Cheap Shot is a big call for a shove, I'm glad Collins pulled through. Thought there would have been more outcry over the follow up belly whack Collins copped in the same play tbh. Anyway, said my bit, safest thing for all is probably just to outlaw all physical contact in the game.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:07 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:

Only commented on the one incident mate, I haven't seen the other one you're referring to (obviously it doesn't sound great) - Cheap Shot is a big call for a shove, I'm glad Collins pulled through. Thought there would have been more outcry over the follow up belly whack Collins copped in the same play tbh. Anyway, said my bit, safest thing for all is probably just to outlaw all physical contact in the game.

And introduce a contact rule like netball.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:09 pm

tigerpie wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Pretty sure if I love tapped your solar plexus, liver, or kidneys from behind you'd want retribution... when you recovered.

That's why they've stamped down on it.
Love tap or strike....doesn't matter.

Back in the day I'd get shirt fronted with a solid hip and shoulder for striking you by one of your team mates.
Can't do that now for fear of a massive suspension and hammered in the media.

Games changed. Strike anywhere...love tap, open hand, whatever its automatic suspension in my book.

Games changed for the worse IMO
amber_fluid
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL