Great Southern Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Great Southern Football League

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:04 pm

DoublebluTiger wrote:It does seem likely when Great Southern comp starts pretty much a month before the K.I. comp does and thus he would play three or 4 games for Yank before returning to Dudley for the commencement of their season.

Ahh cool cheers. I can see 2 in 2007 and 3 in 2008. So it could be that he was 3 points in 2008, but as a returning player the following year he would become a zero pointer. Interesting.

Edit - not sure what I've said there is correct
Last edited by field of dreams on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby old fullback » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:07 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
bluemaidstone wrote: Also you would have to wonder why Yank would play a 38/9 year old bloke from KI ahead of some of the young local lads running around in the 2's.

Creeks have been playing a 43 y.o. from M Bridge in recent weeks ahead of A Grade Premiership players in their mid 20s.
And have been justified by the results
I guess it's only when you lose questions get asked?
No idea about the guy from KI but i'm guessing they rate him in their best 21 available ?

Age is irrelevant I would've thought, If ya good enough well .......
old fullback
Under 18s

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Tiger83 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:01 pm

field of dreams wrote:
DoublebluTiger wrote:It does seem likely when Great Southern comp starts pretty much a month before the K.I. comp does and thus he would play three or 4 games for Yank before returning to Dudley for the commencement of their season.

Ahh cool cheers. I can see 2 in 2007 and 3 in 2008. So it could be that he was 3 points in 2008, but as a returning player the following year he would become a zero pointer. Interesting.

When did the point system actually come in?? I was under the impression that ANY games played for a club before that system came in, you were automatically a 0 pointer. Same as playing juniors at that club. And the APPS didn’t come into effect in something like 2010 wasn’t it?? If so, it’s a moot point coz he’s played previously and is clearly a 0 pointer.
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby field of dreams » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:04 pm

Tiger83 wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

When did the point system actually come in?? I was under the impression that ANY games played for a club before that system came in, you were automatically a 0 pointer. Same as playing juniors at that club. And the APPS didn’t come into effect in something like 2010 wasn’t it?? If so, it’s a moot point coz he’s played previously and is clearly a 0 pointer.
You could be right. I thought it was prior to that but My memory ain’t what it used to be (obviously lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Smashed Crab » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:10 am

field of dreams wrote:
Tiger83 wrote:
field of dreams wrote:

You could be right. I thought it was prior to that but My memory ain’t what it used to be (obviously lol).

I thought you had to have played 25 games before the point system came in to effectively be a zero pointer?
Smashed Crab
Rookie

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby jackpot jim » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Round 7 sees 3 vital matches that will significantly determine the make up of the Top 5 come finals.

Mount Compass have a great opportunity to consolidate and almost put a lock on a Top 3 spot if they defeat Yankalilla who are desperately in need of a win to stay in contention for a finals spot

E Bay have shown enough that they deserve to be part of finals action but need to get the job done against an injury riddled and inconsistent Strath team that can start looking towards next year if they go down in this clash

The other major clash is top of the table L Creek v 2nd place McLaren. Creeks will pretty much wrap up the Minor Premiership with a win whilst McLaren will be keen to hit back after their 1st loss last week to E Bay and stay in the running for top spot whilst almost certainly wrapping up a Top 3 double chance spot whilst a loss will make them slightly vulnerable.
It was Round 16 2014 and 2205 days ago since McLaren last beat the Hawks but they are in with a real shot here as the Hawks will be missing a handful of key players through injury

Tips
Creeks over McLaren by 7 points
Bays over Strath by 22 points
Compass over Yank by 12 points
Myp?Sell over Gool/PE by 9 points
Willunga over Victor by 78 points
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 448 times

Postby field of dreams » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:53 pm

jackpot jim wrote:

Tips

Can’t argue with those JJ

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby oldbomber » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:03 pm

Going for a couple of upsets this week...

Creeks by 40pts
Strath by 13pts
Yank 9 pts
Myponga 27 pts
Willunga 70 pts
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby bluemaidstone » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:38 pm

Creeks v MV - Creeks 31
Strath v EB - Strath 12
Yank v Mt C - Mt C 27
Pongy v GPE - Pongy 13
Willunga v VH - Willunga 45
bluemaidstone
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby field of dreams » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:00 pm

field of dreams wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:

Tips

Can’t argue with those JJ

Well JJ you did hint that Creek were missing some but I don’t think anyone could see a pasting coming. Shows again that it doesn’t take much to off on the day in this league.
Victor played their best game of the year and it was only Willunga’s experience/poise and straight kicking that got them over the line with 4-1 in the last term. They hit the front with 3 fairly quickly and victor hit back to tie it up before another scrambled kick from the goal square sealed it for the Dees. Willunga certainly aren’t the side I saw as premiership fancies pre COVID

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby jackpot jim » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:15 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
Tips
Creeks over McLaren by 7 points McLaren won by 54 points
Bays over Strath by 22 points Bays won by 24 points
Compass over Yank by 12 points Compass won by 36 points
Myp?Sell over Gool/PE by 9 points Mudlarkds won by 12 points
Willunga over Victor by 78 points Willunga won by 6 points

No real upsets other than the margins in 2 of the games.

Willunga just avoided going down to Victor in what would have been one of the biggest upsets for a few years by coming from behind at 3/4 time to win by a solitary goal

The other surprise margin was McLaren who broke L Creeks 17 game winning streak starting from Round 11 last season by cruching them by 9 goals. McLaren who had lost their last 12 meetings against the Hawks dating back to Aug 9th 2014 quickly asserted their authority on the game early against an undisciplined Creek side and steadily increased the margin throughout the afternoon. Creeks were missing Kellock, Arbon, McGregor, Mitch Cleggett and Kartinyeri all through injury as well as Matt Tonkin who didn't take the field in the 2nd half.
Not surprised the Hawks lost as i was tempted to tip McLaren. Even with the injuries the Hawks have several A Grade Premiership players from the last 2 years running around in the B Grade out of form so not all can be blamed on injuries. McLaren were far too good in all departments against the Hawks who never threatened to kick a winning score.

Top 5 is pretty much decided with just the order to sort out. As much as there appeared to be limited genuine chances for the Flag only a week or 2 ago, it's wide open with any of the top 5 with a genuine chance with their chances greatly increased if they can finish top 3 which they all can with the right results.
Injuries are key. Creeks have been lucky enough the last 2 years to have pretty much a full squad to pick from on GF day and thats resulted in 2 flags. Results the last few weeks have shown how tight things are with the top 6 -7 teams with a few injuries and a 5% drop off in attitude can result in big form swings
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby oldbomber » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:34 pm

Have seen all the top few teams this year and i think its a 3 horse race now. Creeks have depth and i think last weeks loss has just poked the bear. Time for plenty of quality to come back into their line up. I tip Creeks to win it at home with only mcclaren and encounter bays absolute best capable to challenge them.
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby jackpot jim » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:33 am

Round 8 guesses

E Bay over Gool / PE by 39 points
Creeks over Yank by 16 points
McLaren over Compass by 28 points
Strath over Victor by 11 points
Willunga over Mudlarks by 56 points
jackpot jim
Coach

Postby field of dreams » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:21 pm

E Bay over GPE by 43 points
Creeks over Yank by 32 points
McLaren over Compass by 47 points
Victor over Strath by 13 points
Willunga over Pongy by 25 points

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby field of dreams » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:39 am

field of dreams wrote:E Bay over GPE by 43 points 117
Creeks over Yank by 32 points 38
McLaren over Compass by 47 points 93
Victor over Strath by 13 points 36
Willunga over Pongy by 25 points 88

Blowouts were Saturday's theme with the sudden blast of spring weather. Looks like the Creek/Yank game should also have been (4-14 at half time!!)

After 3 weeks of close-fought games (albeit 2 against the other sides searching for their first win), I was optimistic that Victor would have their first win for the year after having the better of Willunga last week in most aspects except with accuracy in front of goal.
field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:32 pm

Have the GSFL announced how the GF's are going to be managed?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby field of dreams » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:Have the GSFL announced how the GF's are going to be managed?
GSFL FINALS SERIES

It is preferred that all persons attending finals pre-purchase a ticket through Eventbrite ticketing. You will need to give your name and an email address and a copy of the ticket will be emailed to you.

All PLAYERS will require a ticket

Numbers are restricted to 1000 for finals apart from the grand final which will be limited to 2000.

This is a Health SA and SAPOL implementation.

field of dreams
League Bench Warmer

Postby Bull 04 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:37 pm

Are the numbers likely to increase over the coming weeks or is this set in stone now.
Bull 04
Mini-League

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby bluebagger » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:00 pm

Was Thomas injured for the Tigers this week or was it a points issue
bluebagger
Rookie

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:21 pm

bluebagger wrote:Was Thomas injured for the Tigers this week or was it a points issue

I heard it was a points issue
jackpot jim
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy