Round 11 Sturt v South Saturday 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Round 11 Sturt v South Saturday 1410

Postby DOC » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:34 pm

Sturt will host South in what looms as a last chance for Sturt to play finals this year.

Sturts record over South is the most lopsided at around 80%. (Actually not sure about the Eagles but they are the newbies!). Time to bring this back. May take a half century or so.

South beat Sturt earlier this year by 4 goals but a Strong last quarter saw Sturt bring the margin back.

South will not have Loneragen and probably Juckers. Highmore if fit will replace Loneragen. So perhaps at least one more change needed. I know the selectors hang off my every word and I say bring back Cam McGree.

Great oval to play footy at and hopefully a good crowd.

Early tip. South to rub em in the dirt!
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Re: Round 11 Sturt v South Saturday 1410

Postby Brett » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:18 pm

Is there such a thing when a team plays South as a good crowd? 1500 is good I guess for the Panthers. South by at least 7 goals.

Premiership contender.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby southee » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:51 pm

Brett wrote:Is there such a thing when a team plays South as a good crowd? 1500 is good I guess for the Panthers. South by at least 7 goals.

Premiership contender.

Plenty new faces coming out the woodwork .......will be a good crowd.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Brett » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:57 pm

Well thats good. It could the year .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby PanthersFan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:03 pm

Brett wrote:Well thats good. It could the year .

Steady on Brett. We haven’t beaten North or Norwood and the Eagles beat us by 4 goals last time we played. Still plenty of season left, we don’t even have a finals spot yet.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby PanthersFan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:10 pm

Sturt at Unley is always a hard ask regardless of ladder positions and form. We need to be at our best and hopefully fully recovered after a game in quite warm conditions. A real shame to lose James Loneragan for the season, he was in career best form for us down back and outplaying his size. We’ll run out of players if some don’t start coming back!
South must win to keep pace with the top 4 and I think we will in a close one.
Go Panthers!
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby blueandwhite » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:48 pm

Doubtful whether Highmore is fit,even if is, I'd give him another week.
Always tough to win at Unley ,even tougher to find a carpark.
Panthers by 1 pt.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Brett » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:04 pm

PanthersFan wrote:Sturt at Unley is always a hard ask regardless of ladder positions and form. We need to be at our best and hopefully fully recovered after a game in quite warm conditions. A real shame to lose James Loneragan for the season, he was in career best form for us down back and outplaying his size. We’ll run out of players if some don’t start coming back!
South must win to keep pace with the top 4 and I think we will in a close one.
Go Panthers!

Sorry I forgot about the heat last week. Horrendous conditions. Did the players have ice vests on?
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby DOC » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:42 am

blueandwhite wrote:Doubtful whether Highmore is fit,even if is, I'd give him another week.
Always tough to win at Unley ,even tougher to find a carpark.
Panthers by 1 pt.

Not playing. Cam Mcgree then for me. I also think Karpany plays now or never this season.
DOC
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:09 am

DOC wrote:
Sturts record over South is the most lopsided at around 80%. (Actually not sure about the Eagles but they are the newbies!). Time to bring this back. May take a half century so

That isn't correct Doc. According to the league statistics, Sturt lead South 160 wins to South 101 wins with 2 draws. I make that 61.2%.

Norwood have defeated South 179 times to South 77 wins with 2 draws at 69.77%.

Traditionally North have had the best record against South but that has been turned right around in the last decade.

Currently North have defeated South 175 times to 86 with 3 draws. So even now North have a 66.86% winning ratio against South. Still betyer than the Sturt winning ratio..

I know I need to get a life.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby DOC » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:21 am

Thanks. When I read that figure (think it was listed at 81.2%) in a club announcement before this years match at Noarlunga I was surprised.

Still does not make good reading but at least in the last decade we have been turning it around, slowly but surely.

That Norwood figure really needs some work.
DOC
Coach

Postby blueandwhite » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:20 am

"A real shame to lose James Loneragan for the season, he was in career best form for us down back and outplaying his size."

Yep, fractured vertebrae in his back, gone for the rest of the year.....
Resulted from a over vigorous tackle, the perpetrator was reported and suspended for 1 match.
The offender was reported for a similar incident against Norwood earlier in the year................. :roll:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Brett » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:56 pm

Think this will be a smashing and Sturt to debut another player this year making it 17. Some big outs.South by 60 plus
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby DOC » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:50 pm

STURT

Sturt could reward the outstanding form of promising midfielder Tom Powell when it hosts South at Peter Motley Oval.

Powell, the son of Double Blues’ Jack Oatey Medallist Matthew Powell, racked up 47 disposals and two goals in the U18 Torrens University Cup last round.

The potential AFL Draft prospect has been named on the extended interchange bench with fellow inclusions Ash Johnson, Jordan Houlahan and Dean Gore.

Premiership defender Byron Sumner returns to the half-back line while VFL recruit Darcy Bennett will start in the ruck.

Magarey Medallist Zane Kirkwood has been sidelined by a back injury while premiership pair Matt Crocker and Tom Harms have both hurt their quads.

F: Morrison, Grivell, Evans

HF: Lewis, Fahey-Sparks, Aidyn Johnson

C: Henderson, Colquhoun, Carey

HB: Sumner, Borlase, Voss

B: Edmonds, Wundke, Page

R: Bennett, Battersby, Davis

INT: Ash Johnson, M. Lochowiak, Slimming, McEntee, Houlahan, Powell, Gore

IN: Bennett, Sumner, Ash Johnson, Houlahan, Powell, Gore

OUT: Crocker (quad), Harms (quad), Kirkwood (back)

NEW: Tom Powell (Unley)

Reserves
T. Hone, Armiento, Penfold, Crane, Latchford, Shute, Thiele, Parker-Boers, How, Illman, Jones, A. Lochowiak, Weeks, Emmett, Richards, Trenorden, Allan, Kennett, Coomblas, Mitchell

Under-18
F: Tucker, Rigney, Cass
HF: Higgins, Opperman, Field
C: Tidemann, Liddy, Thomas
HB: Grieve, Fryer, Grivell
B: Hein, Manuell, Swiderski

R: Ferrari, Powell, Spain
INT: Holland, Willsmore, Goodwin, Berry
EMG: Bates, Wilden, Taylor

SOUTH

South Adelaide coach Jarrad Wright is keeping his options open after calling upon a variety of potential inclusions to play Sturt at Peter Motley Oval.

With defender James Loneragan sidelined for the rest of the season with a back injury, Wright has listed utility Tom Whittlesea, defender Jaidan Kappler, forward Luke Bogle and ruck Cam McGree on his extended interchange bench.

South will need to trim its 25-man squad by three before the first bounce.

F: Fitt, Cross, McCreery

HF: Wilkinson, Overall, Horne

C: Sampson, Milsom, Andrews

HB: Brown, Cailotto, Broadbent

B: Haines, Summerton, Elsworthy

R: Hunter, Heaslip, Schwarz

INT: McKinnon, Whitbread, Juckers, Whittlesea, Kappler, Bogle, McGree

IN: Whittlesea, Kappler, Bogle, McGree

OUT: Loneragan (back)

Reserves
Biemans, Cameron, Davies, Douglass, Flett, Freitag, Haren, Hoey, Illingworth, Karpany, Lippett, Machin, J. McCreery, Noble, Oliver, Potter, Spacie, Spicer, Williams

Under-18
F: Mitton, Snelling, Hoeck
HF: Hamilton, Bottroff, Nye
C: Cook, Clifton, Birt
HB: Little, Hindes, Copley
B: Smith, LeRaye, Daniell

R: Verrall, Draper, Brown
INT: Zimmer, Duncan, Marshall, Scott, Brunton, Ball, Sweeney, Treloar
DOC
Coach

Postby PanthersFan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:13 pm

Brett wrote:Think this will be a smashing and Sturt to debut another player this year making it 17. Some big outs.South by 60 plus

I don’t know about that Brett, Sturt have a few handy ins too. Will be a close one.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby PanthersFan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:19 pm

Joel Cross named at full forward! Interesting, could create a mismatch. Surely Whittlesea or McGree play to add some height if needed. But that forward line looks very quick.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Postby Brett » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:23 pm

PanthersFan wrote:
Brett wrote:Think this will be a smashing and Sturt to debut another player this year making it 17. Some big outs.South by 60 plus

I don’t know about that Brett, Sturt have a few handy ins too. Will be a close one.

Sturt are a very inexperienced team which many dont realise but look to have some great talent in the side .

I could ask the usual suspects that bag me to post sensibly who have some idea but I cant .

Good comment mate.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby Brett » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:24 pm

PanthersFan wrote:Joel Cross named at full forward! Interesting, could create a mismatch. Surely Whittlesea or McGree play to add some height if needed. But that forward line looks very quick.

He wont start there obviously. Cross is still one of the best players in the League.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:27 am

Kirkwood out for Sturt will hurt them big time. As consistent a player I have seen over the last 5-10 years. Powell may come straight in and start in the middle, An absolute gun and just a pity these last few games is all Sturt will see of him. Top 10 draft pick I would think.

If South have only the one change then I feel it will be McGree in to allow Cailotto to play down back.

Very surprised that Juckers has been able to return after not being able to finish last week.

Competition for spots is ramping up with Karpany, Biemans, Hoey and Haren all returning through the reserves. Highmore will play the following week. A welcome headache.
DOC
Coach

Postby PanthersFan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:08 pm

DOC wrote:Kirkwood out for Sturt will hurt them big time. As consistent a player I have seen over the last 5-10 years. Powell may come straight in and start in the middle, An absolute gun and just a pity these last few games is all Sturt will see of him. Top 10 draft pick I would think.

If South have only the one change then I feel it will be McGree in to allow Cailotto to play down back.

Very surprised that Juckers has been able to return after not being able to finish last week.

Competition for spots is ramping up with Karpany, Biemans, Hoey and Haren all returning through the reserves. Highmore will play the following week. A welcome headache.

Yes very exciting to have the cavalry arriving at last! Just hope Karpany and Biemans can stay healthy the rest of the season. Especially Karpany, adds so much class.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL