Round 11 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 11 Centrals v Norwood Saturday 1410

Postby JK » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:00 pm

Well done you lot, what a difference a fortnight can make ay .., Dogs too good, ya can’t buy heart and your mob had plenty of it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby northerner » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:05 pm

So very pleased for Ben Nason... has anyone had such a roller coaster ride as he? A good fit for the game plan that Andrews is trying to instil.

A question for Redleg followers... were any of you surprised at what Chris Olsson served up today? He has been impressive this year with his fwd 50 defensive efforts but 2day he showed his attacking flair.
I am sure he was always struggling to get into a strong Nwd line up but I reckon he might be better than the Legs coaching group gave credit for...
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby southee » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:05 pm

Didn't think Centrals were that bad against us last week. They took it right up to us except the last 1/4.

Well done and thank you for keeping our finals chances alive !!!
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Brett » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:09 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Brett wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Dear Brett,

Would you please let us know what those three things are?
Cheers

Dear Brett, having just beaten the team you stated just a few weeks ago were outright premiership favourites, could you please enlighten us as to where Central are... and those three things you alluded to that have us where we are.
Just asking for a friend ;)

Fantastic effort by our boys... I would much rather have a team who try all day than a team of champions who don't seem to get the best out of themselves.
Enjoy the night, fellow Doggies... there is still hope in the red, white and blue!

Dear BP. Did I say "outright" favourites? I certainly would have thought with the list they have they should be a contender. I think most would agree with that.
No idea where Centrals are at but thanks for asking me , very nice of you.

Dear Brett,
I agree; with the list they have, Norwood should be safely in the top four, not battling to make it.
However, you stated last week that Central are 'where they are at' for three clear reasons, but didn't provide any reasoning. I, and a number of Central supporters, am generally interested in knowing what the three reasons you were alluding to are.

Anyway, now back to the game:
A number of people (including Central supporters) stated the club was going backwards by having Butch take the field again. I think he proved today that he very much still has great ability... as well as excellent leadership. IMHO, I thought he was worth returning to the team because of his leadership but I didn't know if he would have performances in him like the one he did today. I am so glad he does... and I pray he continues next season too.

I was very impressed with the cool head of Chris Olsson today. Against his former club, he kicked two very critical goals in the last quarter. I am confident he will sleep well tonight! :)

Perhaps strange to say, but I did feel a bit sorry for Norwood today. They were perhaps hard done by at the end of the third quarter when Benny Nason (in his best game for the season) was credited with a goal that appeared to be kicked after the siren. However, the rule does say that the quarter ends when the umpire in charge 'hears' the siren... so it was there, but very lucky! One second later and it may not have been counted.
I also felt the game changed a bit when their captain, Matt Panos, limped off early in the last quarter. He had been very damaging early in the game and his injury no doubt unsettled the side.

A very happy Doggie here as today was a real 'all played well' performance. The boys showed they still have belief.. and will hopefully go onwards and upwards from here.

Cheers

Mate buddy ol pal. I didnt need too . Your supporters and others answered it. LOL

Jump on board mate lol.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby JK » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:13 pm

northerner wrote:So very pleased for Ben Nason... has anyone had such a roller coaster ride as he? A good fit for the game plan that Andrews is trying to instil.

A question for Redleg followers... were any of you surprised at what Chris Olsson served up today? He has been impressive this year with his fwd 50 defensive efforts but 2day he showed his attacking flair.
I am sure he was always struggling to get into a strong Nwd line up but I reckon he might be better than the Legs coaching group gave credit for...

I don’t think anyone wanted Chris to leave, but he probably made the right decision because rightly or wrongly he had too many bigger names ahead of him. Ironically he’s what we glaringly need these days.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bulldogproud » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:21 pm

southernbulldog wrote:Absolutely agree about Butch what a difference he makes when he is left forward and not used up the ground or as a backup ruckman .Would love him to go around again next year .

Imagine a forward line including the two Menzel's, Isaya McKenzie, Butch and Connor McLean... and perhaps Nick Lange on the flank.

Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Mr Fuller » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:01 pm

Like I said a couple of weeks ago when Centrals lost by a couple of goals to the eagles and a number of doggies supporters were going hysterical about how putrid the team is...........they aren't that bad. From the matches I have seen your team seems to be highly competitive for half a match or so then fall off in one flat quarter and this costs you the match. With such a young team that is bound to happen. But against the eagles i saw quite a few of those youngster who certainly have got a lot of ability. And this is complemented by four or five reasonably good veterans. I knew it would all come together at some stage and I wasn't surprised you got a win against an inconsistent norwood.

Who might get drafted from the doggies squad this year? Perhaps only Durdin? If the bulk of that squad stays together and you recruit at least two experienced players who can immediately contribute then with natural progression of those youngsters i reckon your team could rapidly rise next year and jag many more wins.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby nwdfanparade » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:12 pm

bulldogproud wrote: Perhaps strange to say, but I did feel a bit sorry for Norwood today. They were perhaps hard done by at the end of the third quarter when Benny Nason (in his best game for the season) was credited with a goal that appeared to be kicked after the siren. However, the rule does say that the quarter ends when the umpire in charge 'hears' the siren... so it was there, but very lucky! One second later and it may not have been counted.

Quarter ends when the umpire acknowledges the siren by placing his hands in the air. With 3 umpires such a situation can lead to confusion of who and when which umpire heard and acknowledged the siren.

3 and a 1/2 quarters to get on top of the bottom team, 3 and a 1/2 quarters of exchanging goals. Can't blame the last ten minutes for the loss.
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 145 times

Postby northerner » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Like I said a couple of weeks ago when Centrals lost by a couple of goals to the eagles and a number of doggies supporters were going hysterical about how putrid the team is...........they aren't that bad. From the matches I have seen your team seems to be highly competitive for half a match or so then fall off in one flat quarter and this costs you the match. With such a young team that is bound to happen. But against the eagles i saw quite a few of those youngster who certainly have got a lot of ability. And this is complemented by four or five reasonably good veterans. I knew it would all come together at some stage and I wasn't surprised you got a win against an inconsistent norwood.

Who might get drafted from the doggies squad this year? Perhaps only Durdin? If the bulk of that squad stays together and you recruit at least two experienced players who can immediately contribute then with natural progression of those youngsters i reckon your team could rapidly rise next year and jag many more wins.

Maybe Durdin..maybe not. But with the compromised draft I dont think the Dogs will be affected much.
A lot of lads in the 19 to 22 yo age group who will be well positioned to have big seasons in 2021.
Would be nice to secure a couple of key recruits but the Menzel brothers and Izzy McKenzie will be a fair boost for starters
northerner
Reserves

Postby smac » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:25 pm

So the sky hasn't fallen? Shock me .

The only issue in the last few weeks is the negative supporters are happy. They don't deserve it!
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby northerner » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:30 pm

smac wrote:So the sky hasn't fallen? Shock me .

The only issue in the last few weeks is the negative supporters are happy. They don't deserve it!

Cue Groucho .....
northerner
Reserves

Postby StrayDog » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:43 am

Mr Fuller wrote:Like I said a couple of weeks ago when Centrals lost by a couple of goals to the eagles and a number of doggies supporters were going hysterical about how putrid the team is...........they aren't that bad.
Yep, although I said nothing at the time, I remember that quote from round 6:-
Mr Fuller wrote:For all the moaning from some of the Centrals supporters on here I expected to come against a rabble.

I'm not trying to cut into you here but I will go off topic and address a couple of things, at least as I see them.

I'm pretty sure no-one was "going hysterical" about anything, certainly not beyond well expected posting form of perhaps one regular username's 'negativity' which has been ripped into more than once on this forum. Comments from a couple of others at the time about the pending margin, while not entirely fair, probably not that unreasonable given the very large percentage and table gaps. Worth noting that a few supporters from other clubs also had us down for a hiding as well.

Perhaps also worth noting that you and smac were challenged by one of your own fans with the suggestion that Centrals only out-scored the Eagles in the last three quarters due to having two quarters to one "with a five goal gale" - which was a gross exaggeration. (Mid to high 20 k's blowing predominately 10 to 4 across the ground, favouring the southern end by two to three goals at most.)

While under no illusions, I think you'll find that most of our supporter base do understand and accept that this year was for building and learning. 'whufc' has more or less said this directly.

Without recalling the exact words, former SA Footy and Footy SA poster, 'topsywaldron' once made an excellent comment about the importance of self awareness in going forward. I think that's where we're at.

For years, 'northerner' always has presented look for the constructive angle without dolling things up. 'Bulldogproud' always keen to give the lads well deserved applause and not afraid to challenge others when needed. A number of others I could mention from within our own ranks, a number of generously constructive contributions also from other club's supporters - including yourself - which is awesome.

A couple of hard fought wins on the board and a real chance to keep the spoon away from us for a 43rd consecutive year.

Go 'Dogs.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Groucho » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:19 am

Groucho wrote:Central 8 points

northerner wrote:
smac wrote:So the sky hasn't fallen? Shock me .

Cue Groucho .....

I've supported Centrals through thick and thin since 1964 as a 7 year old and a paid up member since 1978. I am a passionate supporter and have spent $1,000's of dollars over this time and lots of blood, sweat and tears. I only missed about 10 games since 1973. Who are you to say I don't deserve it?

I don't care what you say, it was a great win which I enjoyed immensely and I do deserve it.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby twosheds » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:41 am

StrayDog wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:Like I said a couple of weeks ago when Centrals lost by a couple of goals to the eagles and a number of doggies supporters were going hysterical about how putrid the team is...........they aren't that bad.
Yep, although I said nothing at the time, I remember that quote from round 6:-
Mr Fuller wrote:For all the moaning from some of the Centrals supporters on here I expected to come against a rabble.

I'm not trying to cut into you here but I will go off topic and address a couple of things, at least as I see them.

I'm pretty sure no-one was "going hysterical" about anything, certainly not beyond well expected posting form of perhaps one regular username's 'negativity' which has been ripped into more than once on this forum. Comments from a couple of others at the time about the pending margin, while not entirely fair, probably not that unreasonable given the very large percentage and table gaps. Worth noting that a few supporters from other clubs also had us down for a hiding as well.

Perhaps also worth noting that you and smac were challenged by one of your own fans with the suggestion that Centrals only out-scored the Eagles in the last three quarters due to having two quarters to one "with a five goal gale" - which was a gross exaggeration. (Mid to high 20 k's blowing predominately 10 to 4 across the ground, favouring the southern end by two to three goals at most.)

While under no illusions, I think you'll find that most of our supporter base do understand and accept that this year was for building and learning. 'whufc' has more or less said this directly.

Without recalling the exact words, former SA Footy and Footy SA poster, 'topsywaldron' once made an excellent comment about the importance of self awareness in going forward. I think that's where we're at.

For years, 'northerner' always has presented look for the constructive angle without dolling things up. 'Bulldogproud' always keen to give the lads well deserved applause and not afraid to challenge others when needed. A number of others I could mention from within our own ranks, a number of generously constructive contributions also from other club's supporters - including yourself - which is awesome.

A couple of hard fought wins on the board and a real chance to keep the spoon away from us for a 43rd consecutive year.

Go 'Dogs.

I don't post very often ( and some people equate number of posts with credibility :roll: ) but Hear Hear !!!!!
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby nwdfanparade » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:12 pm

The maintenance guy, sorry, person at Doggie Park should check the clock next to the scoreboard. I'm not an official timekeeper but use my own stopwatch function on my wrist watch each quarter at all games. The clock was started 4 seconds before the umpire bounced the ball to start the 1st quarter (when the quarter officially starts) and by the 27 minute mark, the clock was 4 seconds slow compared to my stopwatch and was similarly losing time in the other quarters of the game. I've noticed its been like that for a few seasons. Although the 2 official timekeepers use their own stopwatches and the clock next to or on the scoreboard is only for the spectators and players benefit, its rather annoying if the clocks at each ground are not accurate whether it clock is malfunctioning or isn't started when the umpire officially starts the quarters. There has been occasions at games (in various ovals) where the ground clock hasn't started for minutes after the ump bounces the ball or stops working during a quarter.
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 145 times

Postby Hazydog » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Only 1500 odd listed as the attendance yesterday. Thought there were more than that although maybe we have forgotten what 2.5 looks like?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Brett » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Hazydog wrote:Only 1500 odd listed as the attendance yesterday. Thought there were more than that although maybe we have forgotten what 2.5 looks like?

Wow thats poor .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:51 am

Dinner at Sfizio last night and to say the natives are restless is an understatement.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:03 am

Well done Central, some real positives this season, amongst the negatives,
I feel next season will be a very different "ball game",
hopefully 2 Menzels in the side for the season, surely we're a 5 goal better side with them both in?
And our big blokes are coming along slowly but steadily, that's a big plus.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:27 am

Great reward for effort.

Despite all the early losses the effort had been there from the lads.

If we can compliment the current batch of heart and work rate with a few more out and out A Graders we can be back in contention sooner rather than later.

Looking forward to what Andrews first normal off season of recruiting looks like.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL