Round 11 Eagles v North Sunday 1440

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 11 Eagles v North Sunday 1440

Postby locky801 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:20 pm

Another sunday minor round game, another loss for the Roosters :roll: Money for jam
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3694 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby Spargo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:12 pm

Wedgie wrote:Geezus, Woodville Oval looks awful! :?

First thing we noticed watching on tv today, looked horrendous.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby southee » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 pm

Wedgie wrote:Geezus, Woodville Oval looks awful! :?

You think that’s bad ? That’s plush compared to Unley Oval yesterday !
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby ferret » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:30 pm

Wedgie wrote:Good win by Norths reserves beati g the 2nd placed Eagles by 11 points to jump i to the 4.

A bloody lot better looking than Unley Oval.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:01 pm

Unfortunately due to work I couldn't make the game at my closest oval but from what I saw the Eagles were clearly a better side than North despite North tackling their hearts out, even at quarter time when North were a couple of goals up the Eagles looked the better team. Very well coached and some great players. Was good to see a few supporters of each club come back to the pub I work at for a meal afterwards, all were in pretty good spirits.
Hopefully we can turn it around on Adelaide Oval if we get the chance.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Aerie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:45 pm

I only saw on the tv too, but it did seem like the Eagles were the better team. Couldn’t put scoreboard pressure on early. North kept in it through desperation. When the margin was 2 goals in the last and they said the strong breeze had gone, it was still anyone’s game, but the Eagles held steady. Jack Hayes the Eagles best and most important player. Any chance a Key Forward come 2nd Ruck could win the Magarey?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:51 am

Aerie wrote:I only saw on the tv too, but it did seem like the Eagles were the better team. Couldn’t put scoreboard pressure on early. North kept in it through desperation. When the margin was 2 goals in the last and they said the strong breeze had gone, it was still anyone’s game, but the Eagles held steady. Jack Hayes the Eagles best and most important player. Any chance a Key Forward come 2nd Ruck could win the Magarey?

Boyd's to lose I reckon, would have polled votes in almost every game this season so far.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1659 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby ferret » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:46 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
Aerie wrote:I only saw on the tv too, but it did seem like the Eagles were the better team. Couldn’t put scoreboard pressure on early. North kept in it through desperation. When the margin was 2 goals in the last and they said the strong breeze had gone, it was still anyone’s game, but the Eagles held steady. Jack Hayes the Eagles best and most important player. Any chance a Key Forward come 2nd Ruck could win the Magarey?

Boyd's to lose I reckon, would have polled votes in almost every game this season so far.

Would rather Jack Hayes in my team any day ahead of Boyd. Far, far more influential. Eagles couldn't make the five last year with Boyd, sitting top without him. Not a team man and very selfish and frustrated his team mates. Jack Hayes was voted by opposition coaches as the player from another club they would like in their team. Jack Hayes an absolute iron man.
ferret
Reserves

Postby Magellan » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:05 am

ferret wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:

Would rather Jack Hayes in my team any day ahead of Boyd. Far, far more influential. Eagles couldn't make the five last year with Boyd, sitting top without him. Not a team man and very selfish and frustrated his team mates. Jack Hayes was voted by opposition coaches as the player from another club they would like in their team. Jack Hayes an absolute iron man.

Different questions - whether a player will win the Magarey in they eyes of the umpires versus whether a player is pound-for-pound an influential player. You are probably right about Hayes, played very well yesterday.

Boyd must stand a strong chance for the Magarey, purely in terms of accumulated possessions over the season, standing out as a midfielder in a side that hasn't won many games, and (most importantly) his ink factor. ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:31 am

A great day for footy yesterday (apart from the wind), irrespective of the outcome - anyone know the crowd figure?

Eagles the better side yesterday by far, and deserve top spot. North had quite a few passengers yesterday - for example, Keenan Ramsay had no possessions at half time, and I think 4 by the end of the game. His spot may be in jeopardy given his lack of influence in recent weeks and the return of Alex Barns. Others in the forward line (such as Hender) simply didn't get involved enough, although some of our delivery and general skills were terrible. Most of the time it was the Eagles' pressure that forced us to kick blindly in panic, which led to multiple turnovers (much like the previous week against the Bays). That said, we also committed stacks of unforced errors in open play, and I don't know how may times we conceded last possession/out of bounds on the full frees to the opposition.

Having played the two form sides of the comp in the last two weeks, I think it's fair to say North are susceptible when strong pressure is applied, which doesn't bode well for finals, save for North's runners and their ability to perhaps exploit the wide spaces of Adelaide Oval. It'll be interesting to see whether Surjan re-evaluates the forward line - I'd also like to see Minervini back in the side, and I'm not fully convinced about Le Bois, who can look a million bucks when everything's going well, but not so much when the opposition's screws are applied. This week's game against Central at Prospect wouldn't typically have been a big game, but they'll come out swinging after Saturday's win, and North need to win to regain some confidence, and stave off the Bays to hold onto the double chance.

A minor point re: the announcer - I'm sure his post-goal confirmations of the Eagles' goal scorers (complete with nick-names) is not meant for opposition fans' ears, but as the home ground you're hosting the opposition (players and fans), so perhaps either do it for both sides, or save your comments to during the breaks and pre-game.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby ferret » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:22 am

Magellan wrote:A great day for footy yesterday (apart from the wind), irrespective of the outcome - anyone know the crowd figure?

Eagles the better side yesterday by far, and deserve top spot. North had quite a few passengers yesterday - for example, Keenan Ramsay had no possessions at half time, and I think 4 by the end of the game. His spot may be in jeopardy given his lack of influence in recent weeks and the return of Alex Barns. Others in the forward line (such as Hender) simply didn't get involved enough, although some of our delivery and general skills were terrible. Most of the time it was the Eagles' pressure that forced us to kick blindly in panic, which led to multiple turnovers (much like the previous week against the Bays). That said, we also committed stacks of unforced errors in open play, and I don't know how may times we conceded last possession/out of bounds on the full frees to the opposition.

Having played the two form sides of the comp in the last two weeks, I think it's fair to say North are susceptible when strong pressure is applied, which doesn't bode well for finals, save for North's runners and their ability to perhaps exploit the wide spaces of Adelaide Oval. It'll be interesting to see whether Surjan re-evaluates the forward line - I'd also like to see Minervini back in the side, and I'm not fully convinced about Le Bois, who can look a million bucks when everything's going well, but not so much when the opposition's screws are applied. This week's game against Central at Prospect wouldn't typically have been a big game, but they'll come out swinging after Saturday's win, and North need to win to regain some confidence, and stave off the Bays to hold onto the double chance.

A minor point re: the announcer - I'm sure his post-goal confirmations of the Eagles' goal scorers (complete with nick-names) is not meant for opposition fans' ears, but as the home ground you're hosting the opposition (players and fans), so perhaps either do it for both sides, or save your comments to during the breaks and pre-game.

Well balanced summary "Magellan". Strong rumour going around Woodville Oval that G/F won't be at Adelaide Oval, due to Sheffield Shield hub being in Adelaide with Adelaide Oval, Glenelg and Karen Rolton Oval being used. Glenelg might not even being able to train at Glenelg. Thebby Oval being touted as training oval for the bays and possibly G/F there.
ferret
Reserves

Postby Bag & Sledge » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:26 pm

ferret wrote:
Magellan wrote:A great day for footy yesterday (apart from the wind), irrespective of the outcome - anyone know the crowd figure?

Well balanced summary "Magellan". Strong rumour going around Woodville Oval that G/F won't be at Adelaide Oval, due to Sheffield Shield hub being in Adelaide with Adelaide Oval, Glenelg and Karen Rolton Oval being used. Glenelg might not even being able to train at Glenelg. Thebby Oval being touted as training oval for the bays and possibly G/F there.

What a disgrace if true!
Thebarton Oval facilities are so outdated and are in a desperate need of an urgent upgrade, it would be embarrassing to have the SANFL Grand Final there.
Why not a neutral SANFL ground if Adelaide Oval can not be used?
Bag & Sledge
Under 18s

Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:31 pm

If the Cricket World Cup was still being played, the Grand Final was always going to be at Thebarton. So they will stick to this plan if the cricket Hub thing eventuates.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

Postby Brett » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Any idea of the crowd number for the game ?
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby whybother » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Is/was it Allmonds birthday today?
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Brendan M » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:07 pm

Crowd 2188, quite a lot of people picnic-style on the big grassy mound in the south-west corner.

Tense game at times, opened up in the second half as players tired in the warm weather on the big Woodville deck.
Brendan M
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:06 pm

Would be a shame if the SANFL loses the Grand Final at Adelaide Oval due to a Sheffield Shield match. Would’ve thought the weekend of 17th & 18th Oct would likely hold both an AFL Prelim and the SANFL Grand Final.

Is Woodville Oval First Class standard for Cricket?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby PanthersFan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:11 am

Eagles2014 wrote:If the Cricket World Cup was still being played, the Grand Final was always going to be at Thebarton. So they will stick to this plan if the cricket Hub thing eventuates.

A cricket World Cup game would be a sell out but a Shield game wouldn't get anywhere near the crowd of the SANFL grand final. I can't imagine Adelaide Oval would want to lose out on crowd numbers.
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:25 am

PanthersFan wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:If the Cricket World Cup was still being played, the Grand Final was always going to be at Thebarton. So they will stick to this plan if the cricket Hub thing eventuates.

A cricket World Cup game would be a sell out but a Shield game wouldn't get anywhere near the crowd of the SANFL grand final. I can't imagine Adelaide Oval would want to lose out on crowd numbers.

Said it before and will say it again for those that missed it.
SANFL finals are all at Adelaide Oval, shield games will only be played at AO if there's no clash with the SANFL, most likely after with Glenelg Oval, Gillian Roultan Oval and Adelaide Oval No 2 used if there is any clash with the SANFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times

Postby DOC » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:38 am

Nice one Wedgie.

Karen Rolton oval.
Wedgie wrote:
PanthersFan wrote:

Said it before and will say it again for those that missed it.
SANFL finals are all at Adelaide Oval, shield games will only be played at AO if there's no clash with the SANFL, most likely after with Glenelg Oval, Gillian Roultan Oval and Adelaide Oval No 2 used if there is any clash with the SANFL.

That would be for the horse finals surely.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL