Ian Callinan

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Ian Callinan

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:32 pm

Centrals champion Ian Callinan has suffered a stroke,
I don't know too many details apart from it's down his left side & very serious,
just goes to show that we're all mortal & it doesn't matter how fit and strong you are.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: Ian Callinan

Postby Spargo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:38 pm

Horrible, the bloke’s only 37.
Thoughts are with him & his family.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5441 times
Been liked: 5079 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:21 pm

Geez that's shocking news, was still playing footy in Tas this year too!
Hope he can recover from this. :(
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2009 times
Been liked: 3846 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Hazydog » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:39 pm

Terrible news. Hopefully youth (relative to the condition) and fitness will allow for a complete recovery.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Gozu » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:16 pm

That's bloody terrible news. Hopefully he's able to start the rehab as soon as possible to try and get things going again.

My father had a big stroke in his mid-50's paralysed the whole left hand side of his body but never went right on with it with the rehab and now at 70 is still alive but an invalid ever since.

I wish him all the best I admired him at Centrals and loved it when he played for the Crows good luck to him with the tough journey ahead.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:50 pm

He was most definitely a champion footballer. Fingers crossed he recovers quickly and fully.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 501 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Horrible news for one of the great players in that unbeatable Centrals era. Remember his efforts in the 2010 grand final, reckon he kicked 4 goals in a low scoring game? Seemed to bob up everywhere after half time IIRC and helped turn the tide for the 'Dogs.

Hope he has a successful recovery and resumes normal transmission, 37 is way too young to suffer through this sort of thing.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Magellan wrote:Horrible news for one of the great players in that unbeatable Centrals era. Remember his efforts in the 2010 grand final, reckon he kicked 4 goals in a low scoring game? Seemed to bob up everywhere after half time IIRC and helped turn the tide for the 'Dogs.

Hope he has a successful recovery and resumes normal transmission, 37 is way too young to suffer through this sort of thing.

He was Grigg-2018 like that day and the biggest reason the Dogs got over the line, fantastic footballer, a great of the modern era with ease. Not that footy's the be all and end all, really sad to hear this news and hope he's able to get through it and come out of it all ok. Obviously thoughts with his family too.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4432 times
Been liked: 2976 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bulldogproud » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:57 pm

Wingnut gave us Central supporters amazing memories during his time at the club. Praying for him to regain full health.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Apparently Ian has been feeling unwell for some time now but particularly crook of late,
it all escalated a few days ago & they took him to hospital where it was discovered that he had had a stroke,
apparently due to a hole in his heart.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby StrayDog » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:42 pm

bulldogproud wrote:Wingnut gave us Central supporters amazing memories during his time at the club. Praying for him to regain full health.

Yep, an awesome player in an amazing era for the Club. Eagles were after him too as I recall (not sure who else) but absolutely I'm very glad he pullled on our tricolours.

Best wishes to Ian, his friends and his loved ones.

Edit:- Thanks to gazzamagoo for letting us know.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times

Postby Doddy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:15 pm

Would have thought his Crows medical ahead of being recruited there might have turned up the hole in the heart issue, could have been handy to his health to know that earlier. I know a few issues like this have been outed in EPL medicals ahead of transfers, but maybe they dig a little deeper when 50 million pounds are at stake.

Best of luck in your recovery Ian, you're a diamond champ.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby northerner » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Doddy wrote:Would have thought his Crows medical ahead of being recruited there might have turned up the hole in the heart issue, could have been handy to his health to know that earlier. I know a few issues like this have been outed in EPL medicals ahead of transfers, but maybe they dig a little deeper when 50 million pounds are at stake.

Best of luck in your recovery Ian, you're a diamond champ.

Wayne Milera had a congenital heart condition (electrical impulses getting too high) that was not picked up until he did his pre-AFL medicals.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 428 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Wedgie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Most heart conditions would only be picked up if something goes wrong or you got tests because you had a history in the family.
Mine only got picked up because of shortness of breath and my daughter's hole in her heart only got picked up because of our family's history with hearts!
AFL medicals would be more about fitness, flexibility, agility, strength, etc, they would never mri everything. And something like 1/4 of the population has a hole in their heart, its just varying sizes though.
My heart failure only came on in my mid 30s too, any tests beforehand would have shown nothing except for a heart valve that only has 2 flaps instead of 3 but works perfectly fine.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Hazydog » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:20 pm

Wedgie wrote:Most heart conditions would only be picked up if something goes wrong or you got tests because you had a history in the family.
Mine only got picked up because of shortness of breath and my daughter's hole in her heart only got picked up because of our family's history with hearts!
AFL medicals would be more about fitness, flexibility, agility, strength, etc, they would never mri everything. And something like 1/4 of the population has a hole in their heart, its just varying sizes though.
My heart failure only came on in my mid 30s too, any tests beforehand would have shown nothing except for a heart valve that only has 2 flaps instead of 3 but works perfectly fine.

Biggest takeout there is that you actually have a heart! ;-)
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 112 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:47 pm

Hazydog wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Most heart conditions would only be picked up if something goes wrong or you got tests because you had a history in the family.

Biggest takeout there is that you actually have a heart! ;-)

Ha ha, weven weirded was that my heart was bigger than normal! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Board index   Football  SANFL