HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:04 pm

Bit late to the party here, but that final 5 system is the weirdest I've ever seen :shock: Finish 2nd or 3rd and get a double chance, but finish top and you don't but end up playing 2nd side in the Prelim :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby 19thman » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:28 pm

So Bridgewater back to Div 1 next year I hear.
19thman

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:41 pm

19thman wrote:So Bridgewater back to Div 1 next year I hear.

They picking up half a team? I'm assuming this would mean John McDonald and co are going back.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby B&F » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:39 pm

So their special meeting went pretty well then... Coming from 6th in Country Div to taking on the likes of Hahndorf next year will be a big step.

2nd Week of the Finals Series:
[b]Saturday At Macclesfield
A Grade:[/b]
Ironbank Vs Gumeracha - Gumeracha seem to have a great Midfield and quality forwards but just cannot put it all together this year. Ironbank have been the best side all year and seem very well balanced across the ground I think they should take care of Gums by 5 to 7 goals - but who knows with this finals series finishing top and not getting a 2nd chance might play on their minds and change that undefeated season....
B Grade:
Ironbank Vs Birdwood - They met a long time ago in round 1 and it was a 4 goal advantage to Ironbank and I really don't see that changing.

Sunday
A Grade

Birdwood Vs Kangarilla - Birdwood took out the win down at Kangy last time but that was with Sheedy playing. Kangarilla will be up and about after knocking off Kersbrook last week and I think this will be a tough fought contest and one which will go down to the final few minutes. Kangarilla in an upset.
B Grade
Bridgewater Vs Kangarilla - I don't think they can get both A's & B's in the Grand final Kangarilla and this will be a walk away win for Bridgewater before they head up to Div 1.
B&F

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:Bit late to the party here, but that final 5 system is the weirdest I've ever seen :shock: Finish 2nd or 3rd and get a double chance, but finish top and you don't but end up playing 2nd side in the Prelim :lol:

Actually it is the same as the AFL if 3 beats 2 in the first week.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:44 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Bit late to the party here, but that final 5 system is the weirdest I've ever seen :shock: Finish 2nd or 3rd and get a double chance, but finish top and you don't but end up playing 2nd side in the Prelim :lol:

In the AFL top gets another chance if they lose the 1st final
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby jackpot jim » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:14 am

FlyingHigh wrote:

can someone explain how your Final 5 system works compared the the standard Final 5 system the GSFL use ?
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby Keefy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:40 am

Finals over 3 weeks

Top had a week off and straight in to prelim

2 v 3, loser plays top

4 v 5, winner plays winner of 2 and 3

Finishing top gives no double chance

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:48 am

You’re actually better off finishing second.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

In the AFL top gets another chance if they lose the 1st final

But if they win that first final they lose the double-chance come prelim time, whilst the losers of the first final get to use their double chance, like Gum have.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:07 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

can someone explain how your Final 5 system works compared the the standard Final 5 system the GSFL use ?

Normally the Hills use the standard final five, just they are fitting Div 2's final five into three weeks, so Div 1 can have a final five over four weeks and their GF a week later like they traditionally do. This latter part, in a year like this, seems stupid, just have both GF's on the same day for this year.

I tend to agree that the way they have done it doesn't make sense, but then, like I say, it is based on the AFL model - which I think is flawed anyway by the top team losing their double chance and then potentially playing the second team in a KO final all through no fault of their own, whereas with the final five if they had to play the second team in a KO final before the GF, it would be their fault for losing the second semi.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:21 pm

Just play top 4, but I guess the league wanted to maximise the attendence and $'s by having an extra finals game which is hard to argue against in a year like this.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby jackpot jim » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:56 pm

Keefy wrote:Finals over 3 weeks

Top had a week off and straight in to prelim

2 v 3, loser plays top

4 v 5, winner plays winner of 2 and 3

Finishing top gives no double chance

What an utterly ridiculous system :oops:

Top gets a week off and straight into a cut throat Final :roll:

2nd and 3rd it doesn't matter a stuff if they win or lose the 1st week, they both still go through to the Prelim :shock:
Does it matter if you have to play the TOP team in the Prelim or Grand Final? Got to beat them either way at some point.

4th and 5th need to win all 3 finals which is the only sensible thing about the system.

Birdwood finished 3rd and got a FREE crack at playing either 4th or 5th in the Prelim whilst the TOP team Ironbank get to play either the 2nd or 3rd
ranked team in their Prelim ?

LMAO Shambles :lol:
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:42 pm

Dutchy wrote:Just play top 4, but I guess the league wanted to maximise the attendence and $'s by having an extra finals game which is hard to argue against in a year like this.

Yeah, agree this would have been simpler. I wonder if they were trying to keep teams interested longer by having an extra team in the finals. Final four, lose first two games, basically season over this year. Looking at various country leagues, I think some clubs have just been going through the motions of providing some games for club functions and generating $$'s without seriously aiming for the flag not being able to pay players, eg Crystal Brook, some teams in the NEFL and APFL.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby cracka » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:41 pm

Well the unusual finals fixture claimed a victim. Ironbank B's unbeaten all year lost to Birdwood & are out of the finals, no second chance.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby wazzal77 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:08 pm

Does Birdwood have any chance against Ironbank tomorrow?
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby oldbomber » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:45 pm

wazzal77 wrote:Does Birdwood have any chance against Ironbank tomorrow?

If it pisses down could throw a spanner in the works and give Birdwood a fighting chance but cant see ironbank choking. Been best team all year by a long way. Would be a massive massive upset if Birdwood get up but...
oldbomber
Rookie

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby batmanbegins » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:44 pm

oldbomber wrote:

If it pisses down could throw a spanner in the works and give Birdwood a fighting chance but cant see ironbank choking. Been best team all year by a long way. Would be a massive massive upset if Birdwood get up but...

Rain has given Birdwood more of a chance but they would need everything to go right and I'm assuming Sheedy isn't back which makes it almost impossible to see them winning. Its a very handy IB side, best since they made finals in Div 1 in 2012 and hard to see them losing. Ironbank by 5 goals.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Been liked: 187 times

Postby Keefy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:49 pm

batmanbegins wrote:
oldbomber wrote:

Rain has given Birdwood more of a chance but they would need everything to go right and I'm assuming Sheedy isn't back which makes it almost impossible to see them winning. Its a very handy IB side, best since they made finals in Div 1 in 2012 and hard to see them losing. Ironbank by 5 goals.
Weren't far off with result in the end

Wasn't looking good at half time with Birdwood up by 20 pts.

A few changes made with the big one of Johncock moving down back.

IB a lot cleaner with the ball and quicker and ran over the top of them Birdwood held to just the 1 goal after half time.

Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:58 pm

cracka wrote:Well the unusual finals fixture claimed a victim. Ironbank B's unbeaten all year lost to Birdwood & are out of the finals, no second chance.

I can't for the life of me fathom how that system is viable or fair?

Trying to decipher a fair system for a top 5 to only go over 3 rounds is just as challenging, even Birdwood having to play Kangy's in week two of the finals was wrong, the fairest option was to gift the minor premiers a GF berth with no semi's, but that would've meant no game for 3 weeks.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy