Round 13 Glenelg v Centrals Saturday 1610.

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 13 Glenelg v Centrals Saturday 1610.

Postby goddy11 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:01 am

twosheds wrote:Last disposal- free kick experiment should be shelved. Adds nothing,game becomes a lottery.

The best rule we have. Certainly not a lottery unlike the AFL up to umpires discretion rule.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:14 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Who the hell was that idiot Central forward that cost his team victory by taking a mark in time on 20 metres out and played on and kicked a point?

Definitely wasnt the right decision, but did kick 3. I thought Toner running through centre half forward, free and kicking straight to a Glenelg player by himself was costly as was Boyds late snap miss. We lost so counts for nothing, but we were as good if not better than them. Not chipping around helps.

Ahhhh, Butcher was it? This arse clown seriously isnt up to SANFL standard, Glenelg should be throwing a few cartons his way at least. That was worse than a C Grade SFL level decision. Good luck to him if he ventures north of Gepps Cross ever again, would be lucky to survive!

The Emu says hi. :D
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Wedgie » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:42 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Who the hell was that idiot Central forward that cost his team victory by taking a mark in time on 20 metres out and played on and kicked a point?

Definitely wasnt the right decision, but did kick 3. I thought Toner running through centre half forward, free and kicking straight to a Glenelg player by himself was costly as was Boyds late snap miss. We lost so counts for nothing, but we were as good if not better than them. Not chipping around helps.

Ahhhh, Butcher was it? This arse clown seriously isnt up to SANFL standard, Glenelg should be throwing a few cartons his way at least. That was worse than a C Grade SFL level decision. Good luck to him if he ventures north of Gepps Cross ever again, would be lucky to survive!

The Emu says hi. :D

Agreed, if he'd done the same with us I would have been even more critical!

Thought of him when it came to good grabs and bad kicks, been a few over the years but Gill and Butcher definately stand out to me in recent times.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:18 pm

And "The Sebatron" Guilhaus. :D
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Wedgie » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:52 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:And "The Sebatron" Guilhaus. :D

In fairness a list of ruckmen that could kick would be shorter than the list of those that couldn't. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:38 pm

Wow... so it's rude to suggest Wedgie is drunk but Wedgie can call a player an arse clown... go figure.
Abusive comments like that are way out of line whoever you are.
Butch was inconsolable after the game.
Kicking yips have always been part of his game. I for one hope he will go around again next season. I also hope he doesn't log onto this forum. Last thing he needs.[/quote]

I don't know the reasons why Butcher wasn't originally planning to play this years. And tbh i can't even remember if he was playing at the dogs last year :) But what i do admire about the bloke is that he suited up to help out when the dogs were crying out for a tall presence and also admire that the guy puts so much effort in despite copping sh!t from supporters and players about his kicking every week. Yes he had a shocker with his kicking on Saturday but most times i've seen him in action this year he has actually been pretty good - certainly no less accurate than Jack Hayes has been for the eagles in front of the sticks. He still takes one of the best contested marks in the competition. He is definitely someone the dogs will be hoping sticks around next year because he is a target and will command the opposition team's best defender.

Great match to watch from a neutral supporter's perspective. I had the game on (via the SANFL app) in preference to watching the Crows. Centrals looking more and more impressive with their youngsters coming through. But not sure whether the dominant factor causing the closeness of the game was Centrals playing really well or moreso Glenelg ordinary? Given this game and their pathetic performance against the eagles a week ago, glenelg need to find some form quickly or else they are going to get knocked out of the finals really quickly.

At this stage it feels like it could be a South vs Eagles GF as the two form teams.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby southernbulldog » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:46 pm

At the start of the season Butch was going to play back home in Maffra where his dad coaches & brother plays,he was helping out with coaching here when he could but with covid 19 was probably unable to go home as the league he wouldve played in was shut down. I believe Jeff Andrews asked him if he would play again particularly when Daniel Menzel went down .We hope he stays on next season because he could be very handy for us.
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby twosheds » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:47 pm

goddy11 wrote:
twosheds wrote:Last disposal- free kick experiment should be shelved. Adds nothing,game becomes a lottery.

The best rule we have. Certainly not a lottery unlike the AFL up to umpires discretion rule.

Different rule altogether, its not about "deliberate" or "insufficient intent "blah blah blah. Its the team that kicks or handballs it out of bounds last gives up a free kick. So you like seeing blokes going to ground in a desperate attempt to touch the ball, you like seeing a team possibly being gifted a shot at goal through the vagaries of our uniquely shaped ball; "best rule we have - please !
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:21 pm

twosheds wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

Different rule altogether, its not about "deliberate" or "insufficient intent "blah blah blah. Its the team that kicks or handballs it out of bounds last gives up a free kick. So you like seeing blokes going to ground in a desperate attempt to touch the ball, you like seeing a team possibly being gifted a shot at goal through the vagaries of our uniquely shaped ball; "best rule we have - please !
No issue when you move the ball through the guts!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Pseudo » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:42 am

heater31 wrote:
twosheds wrote:Different rule altogether, its not about "deliberate" or "insufficient intent "blah blah blah. Its the team that kicks or handballs it out of bounds last gives up a free kick. So you like seeing blokes going to ground in a desperate attempt to touch the ball, you like seeing a team possibly being gifted a shot at goal through the vagaries of our uniquely shaped ball; "best rule we have - please !
No issue when you move the ball through the guts!

"through the guts"...? What is this strange game plan of which you speak?

Actually, one thing Central does very well is switching the play from one side of the ground to the other after taking possession. They do it better than the Bays, no argument.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby StrayDog » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Spargo wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Slow learners down the Bay? A few Glenelg supporters spent the entire game in the outer drinking while standing. While I think it’s a stupid regulation especially when drinking outside, I’m not sure any SANFL club can afford one fine let alone two. Glenelg didn’t seem to have the security presence or Covid regulating seen at other grounds..

Then you haven’t been to Prospect or Woodville this season. Non existent.
I stand on the mound where the old grandstand used to be at The Bay & they are vigilant there. There was also a police presence today which I haven’t seen all year.
(There were also Central supporters standing drinking Guinness cans when we played at Elizabeth earlier this year)

No surprises about a lack of enforcement. Twice last year at Elizabeth, I spoke to Weslo about supporters (both opposition as it happens) standing around blatant misuse of the FF zone and, apart from some big kid doing a cursory walk through about 45 minutes afterwards on one of those two occasions, nothing was done. Barely see them doing anything besides standing behind the goal umpires.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby StrayDog » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:01 pm

stampy wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Slow learners down the Bay? A few Glenelg supporters spent the entire game in the outer drinking while standing. While I think it’s a stupid regulation especially when drinking outside, I’m not sure any SANFL club can afford one fine let alone two. Glenelg didn’t seem to have the security presence or Covid regulating seen at other grounds.

I noticed the same at Unley and it really does shit me working in the hospitality industry as a covid marshall seeing this happen.

Even though it wasn't my place I had to tell a few Central supporters off in the RSL last week too as I didn't want the RSL getting fined or risking their license. They were good, took it on the chin and sat down.

Is it really that hard for people to sit down aftetr all the publicity the rules have received?

how many covid cases do we have? effen zero, time to shut this shit down and get back to normal ffs

Thank-you Doctor.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby StrayDog » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:45 pm

Wedgie wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Slow learners down the Bay? A few Glenelg supporters spent the entire game in the outer drinking while standing. While I think it’s a stupid regulation especially when drinking outside, I’m not sure any SANFL club can afford one fine let alone two. Glenelg didn’t seem to have the security presence or Covid regulating seen at other grounds.

I noticed the same at Unley and it really does shit me working in the hospitality industry as a covid marshall seeing this happen.

Even though it wasn't my place I had to tell a few Central supporters off in the RSL last week too as I didn't want the RSL getting fined or risking their license. They were good, took it on the chin and sat down.

Is it really that hard for people to sit down aftetr all the publicity the rules have received?

Disagree.

Like everyone else on the premises, you had duties of care to the business, yourself and everyone around you, so it very much was your place. Well done for stepping up, and to the others for doing the right thing in the end.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby StrayDog » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:56 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Kahuna wrote:
Question was "Are you Drunk?"

I don't see the relevence and think its a poor attempt at being rude to a fellow poster who's opinion you might disagree with but no mate, working tomorrow. I could ask you a similar question but I wouldn't stoop to that, surely we can all have opinions and discuss footy games without rude inferences about each other, and as the bloke who created this site I discourage it.

Just remember when I asked my initial queation I had no idea who kicked it, I had the volume off the digital pass since before 2.30pm and was watching the game on a small tablet.

As this distraction did go on long enough in this game thread and a few days have passed, I'll keep it brief:-

:)) =)) :))

Short memories and all that.

Play on, and stay safe everyone.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:21 pm

StrayDog wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Kahuna wrote:
Question was "Are you Drunk?"

I don't see the relevence and think its a poor attempt at being rude to a fellow poster who's opinion you might disagree with but no mate, working tomorrow. I could ask you a similar question but I wouldn't stoop to that, surely we can all have opinions and discuss footy games without rude inferences about each other, and as the bloke who created this site I discourage it.

Just remember when I asked my initial queation I had no idea who kicked it, I had the volume off the digital pass since before 2.30pm and was watching the game on a small tablet.

As this distraction did go on long enough in this game thread and a few days have passed, I'll keep it brief:-

:)) =)) :))

Short memories and all that.

Play on, and stay safe everyone.

I will just add one comment: To say that John Butcher would be unwelcome at Elizabeth, as a certain poster did, is as far from the truth as possible. For what John Butcher has offered the club this year, all Central supporters are extremely grateful. He commenced the season as a nonplaying assistant coach, which is worthy of thanks from the club itself. However, on realising that the club was short of key forwards (having lost Menzel, McKenzie and McLean even before Round One was completed) John answered the call and decided to don the boots once again. Huge thanks for this. Yes, he still sprays some set shots (which is probably why he played on in this instance) but his marking presence has vastly improved the performance of the team. Having Butch up forward either taking marks, or at the very least competing to get the ball to ground, has enabled our game plan to straighten-up, rather than have the huge amount of sideways movement without getting anywhere that we were seeing earlier in the season. Additionally, his kicking for goal has not been that bad this year... although he is still plauged by inconsistency.
For one, I hope that John Butcher plays on for us next year; he still has a huge amount to offer as player. Either way, I am so thankful of Butch's presence at the club... as an assistant coach and leader to the younger players.

Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Magellan » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:31 pm

I'm not qualified to comment on Butcher, having only seen Centrals once in the flesh (get it? Butcher?) this year a couple of weeks back, but from what I saw he was very a threatening presence in the forward line, took some strong contested marks, kicked three goals in the first half, and generally seemed to give Cameron Craig some headaches, who IMO is one of the premier fullbacks in the comp.

Centrals should do all they can to keep him for 2021, irrespective of his goal kicking limitations he provides a solid target, and as bulldogproud says, straightens the side up.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Brett » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:53 pm

His kicking for goal is worful as we all know. I thought I heard a Centrals fan on here say he would play CHB this year. That where I would play him .
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby bulldogproud » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:08 pm

Brett wrote:His kicking for goal is worful as we all know. I thought I heard a Centrals fan on here say he would play CHB this year. That where I would play him .

21.13 in 10 matches this year; one bag of five and four bags of three. A number of these goals have come from 40 metres out or beyond... not a bad return in my book. He has also spent periods down back and a fair bit of time in ruck.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby southernbulldog » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:36 pm

Bulldogproud re your comments about Butch brilliantly said
i like you would love to see him play again next season.He is welcome at Elizabeth anytime.
southernbulldog
Reserves

Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Groucho » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:05 pm

I'm really glad he came to play at our club. He has been a valuable acquisition. I hope he decides to play again next year. With the retirement of Trent Goodrem his favourite no. 11 guernsey is available for him.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL