Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:08 am

In our 150th year Port Adelaide have secured the minor premiership with a 16 point win over Collingwood in the final minor round match of the season. That feels bloody good to write that, but I, along with many others, know it all means very little if we don’t capitalize on the opportunity we have in front of us. Hosting two home finals in a season where many clubs have barely hosted a home game is a significant advantage, an earnt one though, make no mistake, Port Adelaide have rightfully earned that right.

Monday night football means Tuesday morning go slow but it was worth it as Port Adelaide responded to several challenges Collingwood put to them. With Scott Pendlebury breaking the Collingwood games record and most games as club captain record the club would have set itself to acknowledge the captain in a significant milestone match and would have desperately wanted to win for him and to avoid heading to Perth to face the Eagles in an elimination final but it wasn’t to be as the Powers defensive unit led by Dan Houston and Tom Jonas restricted the Pies to just 45 points on the back of 35 inside 50’s (-6 on season average).

The two midfields who win more contested ball than any other sides went head to head and it was Port’s midfield led by Rockliff, Gray, Wines and Boak who dominated in the centre clearances winning 14-4 and 40-28 around the ground. Despite Grundy having first hands on the ball more often than Port’s Lycett (42 hitouts to 27) the midfield battle was well and truly controlled by Port. Rockliff, who after spending time on the sidelines waiting to crack into the team has been in some of the best form he’s been in since joining the club in the last month, 30 disposals, 10 clearances and in his 205th AFL game he’ll play his first final. Gray, whose form has been building in the last 6 weeks was sensational in close, Wines who would be behind Boak in BnF voting maintained his strong presence around the contest and Boak just kept doing Boak things. The midfield ascendancy gave Port the opportunity to play the game on our terms early before the Pies mids, through Adam, Treloar and Pendlebury evened up the contest and the ball then bounced between the 50m arcs as Moore, Quaynor and Noble did some of their best work in the second term for the Pies back 6.

It was Port’s defence that was the difference though, Dan Houston was brilliant from the moment he took the first of his 8 intercept marks (12 marks for the night), Byrne-Jones ( 8 marks ), Duursma (6), Amon, Jonas and Bonner (5) held sway in the air across the midfield and half back. I mentioned yesterday that we needed strong showings from the wingmen as the Pies play wide and both Duursma and Amon were solid, Byrne-Jones his usual dependable self and Hartlett played his strong bodied role well. Jonas absolutely blanketed De Goey out of the contest, De Goey had 2 touches at half time and just 7 for the match (1 goal) and had no impact on the contest whatsoever. A brilliant display from the skipper. Despite a couple of errors Lienert played his role in the back half, one moment in particular where he left his man to create a contest on the half back line and cause a stoppage when he was out numbered 1 on 3 would be highlighted in the game review by defensive coach Brett Montgomery.

Forward of the ball Ebert and Motlop (2 goals each) made the most of their shots on goal, all 4 of the goals they kicked were 50/50 and they nailed all 4. 7 goal kickers for the night and key forwards Dixon and Marshall finished with 1 each, both coming at crucial times. Dixon roving one from Grundy and Marshall on the end of a perfect pass from Amon after Motlop’s vision and delivery pushed Amon into space.

A very pleasing effort, Collingwood came at Port 3 times and on each occasion we responded, often with the next two majors to maintain a 10 point lead for most of the night until the third quarter when 3 goals in a row to Rockliff, Motlop and Powell-Pepper broke the contest open.

Finals football is upon us. Carn Ports!

Boon’s best – Houston, Rockliff, Gray, Jonas, Byrne-Jones, Ebert
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Bandit » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:33 am

When port lose to the cats in wk 1 will they end up with a final vs WCE at home? We all know how that will end! Bang-Bang!
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:42 am

Bandit wrote:When port lose to the cats in wk 1 will they end up with a final vs WCE at home? We all know how that will end! Bang-Bang!

IF Port lose tbeir first final yes they woukd get a home final in week 2 against the winner of West Coast and Collingwood.
Similarly if Geelong lose they might be asked by the AFL to play at Adelaide Oval against West Coast or Collingwood but most likely in Qld.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:56 am

Bandit wrote:When port lose to the cats in wk 1 will they end up with a final vs WCE at home? We all know how that will end! Bang-Bang!

I love this sort of talk :lol: :lol:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Bandit » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:12 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I love this sort of talk :lol: :lol:

Haha :lol:
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:14 pm

We got a couple of kegs of the Prison Bars Ale in, does anyone know a % of that goes to building a new scoreboard or if it's just the cans to the public?
Guess which club my boss goes for! :lol:
Hopefully it goes OK, not a big pub for craft beers but there are a few Power fans here who drink an ale so I'll be pushing it on them.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Wedgie wrote:We got a couple of kegs of the Prison Bars Ale in, does anyone know a % of that goes to building a new scoreboard or if it's just the cans to the public?
Hopefully it goes OK, not a big pub for craft beers but there are a few Power fans here who drink an ale so I'll be pushing it on them.

I think only the cartons, $5 per carton goes to the scoreboard.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:We got a couple of kegs of the Prison Bars Ale in, does anyone know a % of that goes to building a new scoreboard or if it's just the cans to the public?

I think only the cartons, $5 per carton goes to the scoreboard.

Cheers, since found out were going to offload them to another pub as at $9.20 a pint it is highly unlikely we would sell any here. Shame, would have been a cool talking point and ideal timing.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Watching them last night and they still kick high balls into their forward 50. To Port's credit, They've found more targets inside 50 than just Dixon but if we put pressure on the midfield old habits will die hard and it's marking practice for Blicavs, Stewart, and Taylor. We have been crap lately, they have been good, but they are a perfect match up for us. Quietly confident.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

Watching them last night and they still kick high balls into their forward 50. To Port's credit, They've found more targets inside 50 than just Dixon but if we put pressure on the midfield old habits will die hard and it's marking practice for Blicavs, Stewart, and Taylor. We have been crap lately, they have been good, but they are a perfect match up for us. Quietly confident.

regards,

REB

You didn't watch the first half then, we chipped it around sideways and moved the ball in much slower looking for targets 20-30m from the ball carrier and not as much banging it in long. I didn't like it, it looked like Pittard was back out there.

Marshall is an important foil for the third aerial defender and when we last played 6th gamer Georgiades was overwhelmed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Booney wrote:
You didn't watch the first half then, we chipped it around sideways and moved the ball in much slower looking for targets 20-30m from the ball carrier and not as much banging it in long. I didn't like it, it looked like Pittard was back out there.

Marshall is an important foil for the third aerial defender and when we last played 6th gamer Georgiades was overwhelmed.

I find it a negative move to have a player in there as a foil, I'd sooner see all of our players having the ability to win their position, I'd take Westhoff over Marshall for that roll in a heartbeat, I also think we are a better team when we move the ball on quickly using the hands and hitting targets by foot within 30-40 metres, we were excellent by hand last night.

Marshall averages 8.5 disposals, 0.8 goals and 3.2 marks per game, it just doesn't cut it as a a tall forward, Westhoff's numbers aren't much better but at least he is a bit more versatile and a potential match winner.

Marshall has returned 2 goals twice this season, the first two rounds when we smashed the Suns and the Cows.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:53 pm

Marshall has played 31 games, Port have won 24 of them.

While I'd like to see more from him if we're winning, we're winning.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:54 pm

Booney wrote:Marshall has played 31 games, Port have won 24 of them.

While I'd like to see more from him if we're winning, we're winning.

:lol: :lol:

I used to put my crap players in the best players to throw the opposition, it worked for the first 9 rounds.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Marshall averages 8.5 disposals, 0.8 goals and 3.2 marks per game, it just doesn't cut it as a a tall forward, Westhoff's numbers aren't much better but at least he is a bit more versatile and a potential match winner.

Marshall has returned 2 goals twice this season, the first two rounds when we smashed the Suns and the Cows.

Marshall tends to play higher up the ground though with Ladhams and Dixon deeper, and he's a lot quicker and more agile than Westhoff.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:02 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Marshall averages 8.5 disposals, 0.8 goals and 3.2 marks per game, it just doesn't cut it as a a tall forward, Westhoff's numbers aren't much better but at least he is a bit more versatile and a potential match winner.

Marshall tends to play higher up the ground though with Ladhams and Dixon deeper, and he's a lot quicker and more agile than Westhoff.

He can be Usain Bolt for all I care, if he can't get near the pill then it's all redundant.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:06 pm

For a bloke 198cm he also lays over 2 tackles a game, considering they'd be inside 50 more often than not he applies a lot of pressure for a big bloke.

He's in the side for a reason.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

He can be Usain Bolt for all I care, if he can't get near the pill then it's all redundant.

Didn't say I agreed with his inclusion, was just pointing out the difference :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:59 pm

I thought Booney was keeping a lid on things till I saw his car this afternoon

FB_IMG_1600863713310.jpg
FB_IMG_1600863713310.jpg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 422 times

PS Just kidding, even I know that Booney is too classy to have a Commodore.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:58 am

Look, I'm not saying I'd sell my classic car to buy this one, but if they're interested in a swap I'm happy to chat.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:15 am

So it seems the 11 Port family members given exemption to travel here from Victoria was pushed through by none other than Hitaf Rasheed. Good job Spurrier intervened in overturned it although 5 are already in quarantine so will be permitted to stay.
Hopefully more than a slap on the wrist for Rasheed
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL