Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:13 pm

JK wrote:Group of us tried out the Mosaic Hotel (formerly Checkside Tavern) on Saturday. Got there about midday for some beers and bets before dinner, but the TV's were too small in the Spots Bar so we nicked over to the Lakes, and returned to the Mosaic for dinner.

Meals were pretty solid, nothing spectacular but noone had any complaints either. Place looks pretty impressive compared to it's old self and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, a good time was had by all.

Bill came to $600 for the 7 of us, but included multiple bottles of wine, several beers, about 20 spirits and a few cocktails so not really sure how well the place stacks up for value.

Probably an overall rating of say 6.5.

HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby JK » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:32 pm

The Bedge wrote:
JK wrote:Bill came to $600 for the 7 of us, but included multiple bottles of wine, several beers, about 20 spirits and a few cocktails so not really sure how well the place stacks up for value.

Did you buy any food? :lol:

Yep - Coupla those Garlic Pizza things for entree and 7 x mains. I ordered a Pep Pizza for main and had maybe 3 slices (it was pretty decent), but the Whiskey's were sliding down nicely and I was too tired for food - The remaining pieces were well received among the others though.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:34 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:Group of us tried out the Mosaic Hotel (formerly Checkside Tavern) on Saturday. Got there about midday for some beers and bets before dinner, but the TV's were too small in the Spots Bar so we nicked over to the Lakes, and returned to the Mosaic for dinner.

Meals were pretty solid, nothing spectacular but noone had any complaints either. Place looks pretty impressive compared to it's old self and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, a good time was had by all.

Bill came to $600 for the 7 of us, but included multiple bottles of wine, several beers, about 20 spirits and a few cocktails so not really sure how well the place stacks up for value.

6.5/10 bud ... One of those safe places to dine at, but nothing spectacular kinda ratings
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:50 pm

JK wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

6.5/10 bud ... One of those safe places to dine at, but nothing spectacular kinda ratings

I was just saying it on keyboard as you wouldn't have heard me.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:25 pm

Moved out to Spalding recently, 2.5 hours north of the CBD.

Have visited the local pub twice now 'The Barbed Wire Pub'

Went with the Snitty on the first occasion and then the crumbed chop on the second. Standard type pub meals but were done really well. Both under the $20 price point and were typical big country style serves. Good thick gravy, decent chips and hearty veg.

The pub itself isn't much to look at but the service was top notch albeit a tad slow, just the husband and wife combo.

Not worth the trip from the city but if in the area you could do a lot worse for a feed. Apparently their renowned for their Sunday Woodoven Pizza with people travelling from Clare and Jamestown for them.

7/10.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:31 pm

whufc wrote:Moved out to Spalding recently, 2.5 hours north of the CBD.

Went with the Snitty on the first occasion and then the crumbed chop on the second. Standard type pub meals but were done really well. Both under the $20 price point and were typical big country style serves. Good thick gravy, decent chips and hearty veg.

The pub itself isn't much to look at but the service was top notch albeit a tad slow, just the husband and wife combo.

Not worth the trip from the city but if in the area you could do a lot worse for a feed. Bring a swag and crash in our stables afterwards. Apparently their renowned for their Sunday Woodoven Pizza with people travelling from Clare and Jamestown for them.

7/10.

EFA

Sounds like good wholesome country pub food.
And you can let slow service go when its just the husband/wife and the food is good.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:35 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
whufc wrote:Moved out to Spalding recently, 2.5 hours north of the CBD.

Not worth the trip from the city but if in the area you could do a lot worse for a feed. Bring a swag and crash in our stables afterwards. Apparently their renowned for their Sunday Woodoven Pizza with people travelling from Clare and Jamestown for them.

7/10.

EFA

Sounds like good wholesome country pub food.
And you can let slow service go when its just the husband/wife and the food is good.

Yeah absolutely, everything moves a tad slower up here. Have found when 'city' friends have come up that the slower meal times sometimes influences their experience. Especially if we have been at the wineries all day and keen for a feed.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:31 am

went to the birkenhead friday night for tea.. Food was really good. service was great.

Also went to the sailmaster, atmosphere is great and the place looks amazing but the food is a bit average
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Brucetiki » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:35 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:After every cafe between Gawler and Gepps was seemingly fully booked out yesterday morning I reluctantly had to opt for Caffe Primo Munno Para as a last resort.

It didn't let us down, the noise in there sounded like a McDonalds playground, our coffee's took 20+ minutes even after jokingly gesturing to accept any coffee's as ours as they were bringing them out, the poached eggs were hard and mushy, the bacon was cold as was the chorizo and the plate had more mushrooms presence than Woodstock.

Added salmon to the smashed avo with poached eggs, bugger all added and them eggs were shithouse too, the avo sauce was actually nice though.

For what the menu looked like vs what was served up it was a thorough disappointment.

1/10, on the never to visit list.

Primo Quality :D
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:After every cafe between Gawler and Gepps was seemingly fully booked out yesterday morning I reluctantly had to opt for Caffe Primo Munno Para as a last resort.

It didn't let us down, the noise in there sounded like a McDonalds playground, our coffee's took 20+ minutes even after jokingly gesturing to accept any coffee's as ours as they were bringing them out, the poached eggs were hard and mushy, the bacon was cold as was the chorizo and the plate had more mushrooms presence than Woodstock.

Added salmon to the smashed avo with poached eggs, bugger all added and them eggs were shithouse too, the avo sauce was actually nice though.

For what the menu looked like vs what was served up it was a thorough disappointment.

1/10, on the never to visit list.

Primo Quality :D

Yep, I don't mind their takeaway pizza's, they are now banned on pure principle.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brucetiki » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:01 pm

Failed Creation wrote:Mrs. Creation and I went to Vietnam House on Bagster Road, Salisbury North last night. It was her first time there, and my second.

For our starters, Mrs. C. got a chicken & sweetcorn soup, while I went with the crab meat & asparagus. Both were really tasty, and were ample in size, and they were devoured within a few minutes.

Mrs C's soup: 8/10
My soup: 8/10

For our mains, Mrs. C. went with the standard sweet & sour pork, while I went for the claypot with caramelized pork belly and quail egg. I was about to have a dig at the missus for not being adventurous until she gave me a taste of her meal. I doubt I've had a bite of sweet & sour pork that good. My claypot was everything I was hoping it would be, and more. The pork was cooked perfectly, and there was a pleasant lack of gristle in both our dishes.

Mrs. C's main: 8.5/10
My main: 9/10.

Vietnam House.jpg

We both went for fried ice cream for dessert. I don't usually touch ice cream unless I'm home (it goes straight through me), but I made a happy exception tonight. The coconut batter around the ice cream itself was a revelation, and was topped nicely with nuts.

Mrs. C's dessert: 9/10
My dessert: 9/10

Service wise, the owner/waiter is very charismatic and chatty, and he seems to love his job. For people not expecting that, it might throw you off at first, but he's a good bloke, and happy to have a laugh.

The lady who brought us our meals was flat out all night, but was very efficient and polite nonetheless. She's obviously worked out a system that works.

Our three courses and a can of soft drink each cost just shy of $70, so it's excellent value too.

In summary, if you're from the north and want to try a new spot, here you go. You're welcome. If you're from elsewhere and you want brave the northern suburbs, you'll be safe here.

I'm in walking distance of this place, and it is seriously the best Asian food in the state (in my opinion anyway).

Normally when I eat somewhere there's a go-to dish I tend to stick with. Not here. I have a rotation of about half a dozen different dishes that I'll eat there, though I often alternate between the Singapore noodles and the laksa for the main.

For entrée, you can't go past their Vietnam House spring rolls. If you can find better spring rolls I want to know about them. Oh, and the satay sauce that accompanies the prawn crackers is amazing.

The place is often quite busy - I don't think I've ever seen the place quiet (outside of COVID). And the staff are fantastic. Some of the lines the owner says are brilliant - best one was asking 'what breed' in response to someone ordering a particular dish.

It's great food and always an entertaining experience there.
They don't keep me here because I'm gorgeous and 5'10
Brucetiki
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 181 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:16 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
I'm in walking distance of this place, and it is seriously the best Asian food in the state (in my opinion anyway).

Normally when I eat somewhere there's a go-to dish I tend to stick with. Not here. I have a rotation of about half a dozen different dishes that I'll eat there, though I often alternate between the Singapore noodles and the laksa for the main.

For entrée, you can't go past their Vietnam House spring rolls. If you can find better spring rolls I want to know about them. Oh, and the satay sauce that accompanies the prawn crackers is amazing.

The place is often quite busy - I don't think I've ever seen the place quiet (outside of COVID). And the staff are fantastic. Some of the lines the owner says are brilliant - best one was asking 'what breed' in response to someone ordering a particular dish.

It's on the to go list, have a crack at the House of the Red Dragon springies mate, they are huge and a meal on their own.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Pag » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Failed Creation wrote:Mrs. Creation and I went to Vietnam House on Bagster Road, Salisbury North last night. It was her first time there, and my second.

For our starters, Mrs. C. got a chicken & sweetcorn soup, while I went with the crab meat & asparagus. Both were really tasty, and were ample in size, and they were devoured within a few minutes.

For our mains, Mrs. C. went with the standard sweet & sour pork, while I went for the claypot with caramelized pork belly and quail egg. I was about to have a dig at the missus for not being adventurous until she gave me a taste of her meal. I doubt I've had a bite of sweet & sour pork that good. My claypot was everything I was hoping it would be, and more. The pork was cooked perfectly, and there was a pleasant lack of gristle in both our dishes.

Vietnam House.jpg

We both went for fried ice cream for dessert. I don't usually touch ice cream unless I'm home (it goes straight through me), but I made a happy exception tonight. The coconut batter around the ice cream itself was a revelation, and was topped nicely with nuts.

Service wise, the owner/waiter is very charismatic and chatty, and he seems to love his job. For people not expecting that, it might throw you off at first, but he's a good bloke, and happy to have a laugh.

The lady who brought us our meals was flat out all night, but was very efficient and polite nonetheless. She's obviously worked out a system that works.

Our three courses and a can of soft drink each cost just shy of $70, so it's excellent value too.

In summary, if you're from the north and want to try a new spot, here you go. You're welcome. If you're from elsewhere and you want brave the northern suburbs, you'll be safe here.

I reckon our footy club has put the Vietnam House owners grandkids through college already. Cant go a day without seeing blokes on Snapchat having lunch there.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:19 pm

Pag wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:

Vietnam House.jpg

I reckon our footy club has put the Vietnam House owners grandkids through college already. Cant go a day without seeing blokes on Snapchat having lunch there.
Good food and proximity to RAAF base is a recipe for success. I often head there when I’m working at the base and always plenty of ADF staff there.

Mai kitchen at Ferryden Park is another Vietnamese restaurant that serves amazing food. It’s tucked away in a side street but food is great
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:54 am

Yeah Mai Kitchen is awesome
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:19 am

Returned to Red Poles on McMutrie Road in McLaren Vale on Saturday, they have 3 little one bedroom rooms to stay in so we did,
Roz is the hostess, as there was no-one in the room the night before, she let us check in at midday, gave us time to check in & do some wineries, then back to Red Poles for a late lunch, coinsisting of Pork dumplings, a duck Rilland, then steamed mussels & pork belly, great food & stuffed to the brim.
Then we lit a fire & proceeded to snuggle down for the evening with a bottle of red, some Muscats, espresso martinis & on and on and on. The staff locked up about 5.30 and went home but trusted us, with 5 other guests, to stay out the front of the restaurant around the camp fire for the night.
Then on the Sunday, back out around freshl;y lit fires to enjoy the live music, this place is amazing & i recommend it to anyone!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Spargo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:59 am

Saturday night at La Trattoria, King William St.
Luckily booked a month ago, the place was heaving. Rang earlier in the afternoon to get them to decant a bottle of red a couple of hours before arrival.
Andy’s world wide acclaimed seafood pizza, pepperoni pizza, spaghetti marinara between the 4 of us. Peroni on tap was top notch.
The pizzas were divine, the pasta had plenty of SA seafood & the spaghetti was like velvet. The staff are extremely friendly & attentive but give you your space. Washed down with a lovely bottle of one of the Barossa’s finest Shiraz, it was a great night. This place never disappoints.
Service 10/10
Food 10/10
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Spargo wrote:Saturday night at La Trattoria, King William St.
Luckily booked a month ago, the place was heaving. Rang earlier in the afternoon to get them to decant a bottle of red a couple of hours before arrival.
Andy’s world wide acclaimed seafood pizza, pepperoni pizza, spaghetti marinara between the 4 of us. Peroni on tap was top notch.
The pizzas were divine, the pasta had plenty of SA seafood & the spaghetti was like velvet. The staff are extremely friendly & attentive but give you your space. Washed down with a lovely bottle of one of the Barossa’s finest Shiraz, it was a great night. This place never disappoints.
Service 10/10
Food 10/10

Quick stop next door afterwards?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:27 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Service 10/10
Food 10/10

Erm, I’ve um, got no err idea what you’re on about :tonqe:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:28 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Service 10/10
Food 10/10

Thats a great idea.

Dinner and a show[emoji3]

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion