JEFF ANDREWS GONE!

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: JEFF ANDREWS GONE!

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:35 am

I've been really critical of the management of Centrals in recent times and this potential episode is only reinforcing my thoughts on the club.

Not sure why it has taken the club so long to release a statement unless its not true in which case I think there is enough smoke for them to release a statement saying exactly that or granty thinks its the 1970's where this kind of news took ages to spread and he doesn't realise very supporter already knows.

Only logic I can come up with as to why it would take so long as they are having to 'get their stories straight and on the same page' for the ensuring media questions or secondly just getting the statement clear from legal.

Doubt any statement is going to give much more than Centrals and Andrews have departed ways on a mutual agreement. We thank Andrews for his time and service. We will now commence the process of hiring the new coach.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/af ... 289fa10a67

Central, meanwhile, is yet to officially comment on Andrews’ future. But it is understood to have axed him.

Just days after Andrews – only one year into a three-year deal – expressed confidence in the Bulldogs’ on-field future, he finds himself without a job.

Central is understood to have moved swiftly to bring Bulldogs premiership captain Thomas into the fold after he lost his job as Crows development coach during the season because of COVID-19 financial cuts.

Thomas worked as an assistant at Central after losing his gig at the Crows.

Andrews, who replaced legendary Dogs coach Roy Laird at the end of last season, was blindsided by the move.

Central, which went winless in the first eight rounds, won three of its final six matches, including beating minor premier Woodville-West Torrens with a goal after the siren from Justin Hoskin at Elizabeth Oval on Saturday.

It also got to within a point of upsetting premier Glenelg at the Bay the previous week.

The Bulldogs finished seventh, with three wins, a draw and 10 defeats in Andrews first year in charge after he was signed from VFL club Werribee.

Wooden spooner West Adelaide was one win behind them on the ladder.

Andrews took nine games to record his first victory as Bulldogs coach after replacing Laird but he was buoyed by his team’s strong finish.

Speaking after the win against the Eagles, Andrews said the growth in young players, and his game plan, had provided plenty of reasons for optimism next year.

“We know we’ve got to get on the front foot with our recruiting but the last half of the year was promising,’’ Andrews said.

“We’ve got a core of young players coming through, including Jack Toner, Jackson Kelly, Chris Olsson, Jordan O’Brien and Rhett Montgomerie, who are becoming good State League players.’’
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:56 pm

That news report doesn't reflect well on the club at all. Turfed a coach to replace him with a former premiership player.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:58 pm

Id suggest there are legal reasons why it hasn't been announced by the club.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Hazydog » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:13 pm

I would sincerely hope that the reasons for his sacking amount to more than some of the reasons speculated on so far. Gazza alluded to some type of incident (unless I read into that wrongly) which would seem more likely.
The other concern I have would be if they have already appointed Thommo, who despite being a fan favourite, doesn’t really have any experience as a senior coach and may not be the best candidate in a year where a lot of well credentialed coaches are in the market. The official announcement will be (hopefully) very interesting..
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby northerner » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:37 pm

Hazydog wrote:I would sincerely hope that the reasons for his sacking amount to more than some of the reasons speculated on so far. Gazza alluded to some type of incident (unless I read into that wrongly) which would seem more likely.
The other concern I have would be if they have already appointed Thommo, who despite being a fan favourite, doesn’t really have any experience as a senior coach and may not be the best candidate in a year where a lot of well credentialed coaches are in the market. The official announcement will be (hopefully) very interesting..

Thommo may well have got the gig if he was available last year.
And he has been very impressive in his assistant role.
It would be the ONLY appointment that would be palatable amongst players and fans alike given the circumstances as they appear atm...
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 436 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:42 pm

I never like the look of these things.

Thommo comes back as assistant, Andrews is all of a sudden axed. Thommo gets the job. Kind of makes you ask questions as to what Thommos motivation was this year and what has gone on behind the scenes.

Even if Thommo was the number one preference from the outside I don't believe Andrews did enough wrong to warrant such as drastic change.
whufc
Coach

Postby Robran » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:07 pm

I Was told this about 6 weeks ago , Paul Thomas will be the next coach.
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby Eagles Nest » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:12 pm

Looked like Thomas was already coaching on the weekend, albeit in the Runners uniform.
Spent majority of his time on the ground clogging space.
I think Jeff has had a number done on him.
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby am Bays » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Dear Spelly

Apart from Andrews who was the last SANFL coach to win his last game and then get the ar5e

Thanks in advance
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Eagles Nest wrote:Looked like Thomas was already coaching on the weekend, albeit in the Runners uniform.
Spent majority of his time on the ground clogging space.
I think Jeff has had a number done on him.

A tad salty for a team that's about to play finals. 4 grand final losses to us have you a bit hurt still.

BTW I agree Andrews may have had his number called.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:42 pm

am Bays wrote:Dear Spelly

Apart from Andrews who was the last SANFL coach to win his last game and then get the ar5e

Thanks in advance

Add in that the opponent was the league leader, not sure that would have occurred before.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby spell_check » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:23 pm

That's tough, I could try and find coaches who weren't there the following year and you can refresh/recall if they were/weren't shown the door.

Brenton Honor won his last game as Glenelg coach in 2002, but that was to 8th placed South.

Similarly, David Noble won Rd 23 2004, but was to last placed Norwood.

Stephen Williams as Port coach in 2003 won the last four matches (the second to last was to league leaders Central), but left on his own accord.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:03 pm

Absolutely filthy the club hasn’t made a statement yet if true

If he is sacked the timing paints this as a very deliberate and pre meditated decision. I presume they were conducting end of season reviews this week. The fact it’s happened after a strong finish to the year and after defeating the top side screams this decision was made months ago.

No excuse then not to have had something ready to tell members and supporters.

Ps apparently SEN reporting Kris Grant was to busy today to respond to their questions about this ..... I really hope that’s not the case
whufc
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:14 pm

spell_check wrote:Brenton Honor won his last game as Glenelg coach in 2002, but that was to 8th placed South.

I reckon Honor was sacked; had a year to run on his contract.

Noble, OTOH, negotiated an extra year on his contract but broke it himself when he got sucked off by the Crows.

These both from memory - am happy to be corrected.

I do remember Notso's last game as coach. Spoon Day at Adelaide Oval. 8)
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby JK » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:48 pm

whufc wrote:Absolutely filthy the club hasn’t made a statement yet if true

If he is sacked the timing paints this as a very deliberate and pre meditated decision. I presume they were conducting end of season reviews this week. The fact it’s happened after a strong finish to the year and after defeating the top side screams this decision was made months ago.

Ps apparently SEN reporting Kris Grant was to busy today to respond to their questions about this ..... I really hope that’s not the case

According to Rucci and Dillon they’d contacted the club today and yesterday but they declined to comment on each occasion.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Brett » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:Id suggest there are legal reasons why it hasn't been announced by the club.

What would they be you think ?
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:56 pm

JK wrote:
whufc wrote:Absolutely filthy the club hasn’t made a statement yet if true

According to Rucci and Dillon they’d contacted the club today and yesterday but they declined to comment on each occasion.

I’m not in favour of Andrews being replaced, coaching merry go round is everything I feared when we Lairdy retired. If the club has made that decision though own it, be proud of it and stand up for it. That shouldn’t be hard if you truly believe you have made the right decision.

Whilst me knowing whether his been sacked or not means nothing and doesn’t change anything this scenario has continued a recent theme of the club for showing little regard for its members. The club in recent times have refused to take responsibility for any of its failings including blaming supporter for not attending. If that’s the case maybe they should come to the party and move into 2020 and understand whether they like it or not members/customers of any business expect to be kept in formed and up to date. Members will find out one way or another in this day and age, don’t blame them when the speculation starts if you won’t inform them.

I will openly say I have been very unhappy how our football club is being run off field in recent times
whufc
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Pseudo wrote:
spell_check wrote:Brenton Honor won his last game as Glenelg coach in 2002, but that was to 8th placed South.

I reckon Honor was sacked; had a year to run on his contract.

Noble, OTOH, negotiated an extra year on his contract but broke it himself when he got sucked off by the Crows.

These both from memory - am happy to be corrected.

I do remember Notso's last game as coach. Spoon Day at Adelaide Oval. 8)

Daniel Healy won his last 3 games in 2010 before he was sacked.
North had been very poor that year, though, given the squad that Healy had.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby mal » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:19 pm

am Bays wrote:Dear Spelly

Thanks in advance

Bill Plunkett coached Norwood in 1913
In the last minor round game Norwood defeated North Adelaide
Im not sure if Bill was axed or if he resigned though
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL