Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:59 pm

Q. wrote:Easily the most corrupt Aus govt in history, the Morrison govt has given another shining display of that corruption.

They established a National Covid Coordination Commission to advise on the response to the economic crisis but stacked it with gas & mining executives. The NCCC then recommended the Govt subsidise new pipelines for a 'gas led recovery" and then today the Govt announced that they would underwrite a Hunter gas power plant (nevermind that AEMO in it's ISP saw no need for additional gas capacity this decade and that a new build would be a stranded asset by the time it comes online).

Bull$hit

https://www.pmc.gov.au/ncc/who-we-are
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Q. » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:Easily the most corrupt Aus govt in history, the Morrison govt has given another shining display of that corruption.

They established a National Covid Coordination Commission to advise on the response to the economic crisis but stacked it with gas & mining executives. The NCCC then recommended the Govt subsidise new pipelines for a 'gas led recovery" and then today the Govt announced that they would underwrite a Hunter gas power plant (nevermind that AEMO in it's ISP saw no need for additional gas capacity this decade and that a new build would be a stranded asset by the time it comes online).

Bull$hit

https://www.pmc.gov.au/ncc/who-we-are

Neville Power, former Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) CEO is also Deputy Chair of Strike Energy which is seeking to exploit gas reserves in WA and SA.

Andrew Liveris is a special advisor to the NCCC and Deputy Chair of WorleyParsons as well as Board Member of Saudi Aramco. He is reported in The Australian to have advised the NT Government on the development of the gas industry, noting the potential of Beetaloo Basin. Last May, Liveris was reported in The Australian as saying: “There is a lot of gas sitting under the ground in Australia onshore (which could be tapped by) working with state governments.”

Catherine Tanna, one of the Commissioners, is the Managing Director of EnergyAustralia, the second largest climate polluter in the country. Prior to that, Tanna was Managing Director of Queensland Gas Company which became the BG Group before it was acquired by Royal Dutch Shell.

James Fazzino, a member of the Manufacturing Working Group and formerly Managing Director and CEO of Incitec Pivot Ltd, is on the Board of APA, an energy infrastructure company which owns and operates the largest interconnected gas transmission network across Australia. In its report, 350 Australia has revealed that “APA group is seeking to build a Western Slopes Pipeline connecting Santos’ controversial Narrabri gas project to the Moomba Sydney Pipeline, and a separate pipeline connecting the Moomba Sydney Pipeline to Port Kembla — currently being assessed by the NSW Government.”
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:12 pm

Thodey - telecommunication
Halton - Public Service
Little - transport
Hirst - banker
McCluskey - ag
Howes - ACTU
Hoang - F&B
Berry - various
Harris - Public Service
Combet - bludger
Gaetjens- Public Service
Pezzullo - Public Service
Kennedy - Public Service

Plus Fazzino isn't on the board.
He sits on a working group for manufacturing as Chair of Manufacturing Australia which includes
Mr Innes Willox, CEO, Australian Industry Group
Mr Ben Eade, CEO, Manufacturing Australia
Mr James Fazzino, Chair, Manufacturing Australia
Dr Jens Goennemann, CEO, Advanced Manufacturing Growth Centre
Mr Paul Bastian, National Secretary, Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union
Mr Dan Walton, National and NSW Secretary, Australian Workers’ Union
Mr Scott Wyatt, CEO, Viva Energy.

Not anyone's definition of stacked it with gas & mining executives
The Commission is there to advise government on economic recovery and energy and mining should be included as they are a main source of investment, employment and revenue in Australia
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:The Commission is there to advise government on economic recovery and energy and mining should be included as they are a main source of investment, employment and revenue in Australia

This is patently false:

The corruption is obvious. The "gas led recovery" is simply a rankly opportunistic manner of funneling public money to LNP mates, starting with an NCCC that was set up with with no terms of reference and no register of conflicts of interest. It is stacked with mining and gas lobbysits when you consider the above graph and the fact that sectors like the not-for-profit lack any representation.

Even if you want to be kind and suggest it isn't blatant banana republic corruption, it is definitely terrible economic management:

“Spending recovery funds on a capital intensive, jobs poor industry like gas completely defeats the purpose of a recovery program, virtually any other industry would be likely to create more jobs,” said Richie Merzian, Climate & Energy Program Director at the Australia Institute.

“Australia’s COVID recovery, and the climate, would be better served by investment in renewables—which are far cheaper and cleaner than gas—not squandering public money on a so-called ‘gas fired’ recovery.

“Gas supply has tripled in the last decade and yet domestic gas prices on the East Coast have only increased, evidence that higher gas supply does not automatically equal lower electricity prices.

“Locking Australians into gas by building new infrastructure is short sighted, will end up costing Australian energy consumers more money, and ignores the other crisis at hand, climate change.”
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Yeah but the commission is stacked with gas & mining execs :supz:
What do you expect?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Yeah but the commission is stacked with gas & mining execs :supz:
What do you expect?

I expected nothing else from this man
Q.
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:49 pm

Politics is a bit like religion. It is about beliefs and perceptions based on the belief structure, not on objective facts. There are always sources to back the believers' preferred line. My mother-in-law, for example, sends me ultra-right literature which I do not respond to beyond sometimes replying "Bullshit!" when it is really extreme. My wife is a bit left orientated. I tend to back the small "l" liberal middle ground in most things, and dislike favours for mates and financial supporters and excessive bureaucracy, as well as thelies from both extremes.

So, while I am a liberal party member, I don't necessarily vote the party line, and my friends include Greg Crafter and Terry Groom - both former Bannon government ministers. (It was Terry who first introduced me to Vicki Chapman.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:15 pm

Only seeing headlines of the Budget.

Anyone watch it and can provide details.

Saw Bolt and conroy basically agree that its optimistic.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:12 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Only seeing headlines of the Budget.

Anyone watch it and can provide details.

Saw Bolt and conroy basically agree that its optimistic.

Basically, permanent tax cuts for high income earners and asset write-offs for big business aka mining. Standard LNP and won't do anything to lift us from the Morrison Recession.
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:15 pm

Good for :

Big business
The rich
Private school chaplains

Shit for :

Anyone over 35 that's unemployed
Women
The poor
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:01 pm

Booney wrote:Good for :

Big business
The rich
Private school chaplains

Shit for :

Women
The poor

I pay $1,210 less tax 8)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:03 pm

So who will get us out of the recession. I mean the country has been in one for a few years now...not just a few months as the government would have us all believe

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby DOC » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:Good for :

Big business
The rich
Private school chaplains

Shit for :

Women
The poor

I pay $1,210 less tax 8)

Per fortnight
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:18 pm

What's in the budget for Millennials
Australian Financial Review
Aleks Vickovich, Sally Patten, Duncan Hughes and David Marin-Guzman
Oct 7, 2020 – 12.46pm

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg handed down a federal budget on Tuesday night that was unthinkable before the coronavirus pandemic — a $213.7 billion deficit and $700 billion in net debt from a government that only last year promised it would be "back in black".

Often, the budget can be focused on elderly people, with tinkering to the rules around the age pension, superannuation tax and retirement income a common feature of the annual cash splash.

But against the backdrop of the pandemic, and with the government focused on "temporary and targeted" measures to get working-age people through to the other side, this year there were some key measures that could make a big difference for the hip pockets of taxpayers and voters under 40. Here's what they need to know.

1. Tax cuts for middle income earners
Income tax cuts formed a central plank of the government's plan to keep the economy moving, the idea being that putting more of people's money back in their own pockets should stimulate the economy by fuelling socially distant shopping sprees.

First, it will backdate the tax cuts it has already announced to July 1 this year and lift the threshold at which the 37 per cent tax rate applies, as revealed by The Australian Financial Review's political editor Phil Coorey in the days before the budget.

That means people earning between $90,000 to $120,000 now pay 32.5 per cent in income tax, rather than 37 per cent. Plus, the upper limit of the 19 per cent personal income tax bracket will rise from $37,000 to $45,000.

Combined, the tax cuts will deliver relief of $42 a fortnight for an individual earning $85,000 a year and about $99 for individuals earning $140,000.

Check out the graphic below to see how much "tax relief" you can expect. For more than five million Australians, including many Millennials, it would mean a cash injection of more than $2,000.

When the tax scales have been adjusted, it is likely that people who have worked for the entire 12-month period will have had too much tax withheld by their employer – because they will have paid tax at the old rate for the first few months.

That means there could be some juicy tax refunds coming your way.

However, the government chose not to bring forward its "stage three" tax package, which abolishes the 37 per cent rate and applies a flat rate of 30 per cent to all income between $45,000 and $200,000.

But that should still be coming in the next few years from July 2024 at the latest (assuming there is no change in government before then).

2. First home buyer scheme boosted
To help young people get on the property ladder (and boost construction and property development in the process) the government made changes to its first home buyer deposit scheme.

Under the scheme, eligible borrowers will be able to buy a new house, apartment or a house-and-land package with a deposit from 5 per cent of the property’s value, compared with the usual 20 per cent, without taking out lender’s mortgage insurance.

That means a home loan of $570,000 on a $600,000 property will save the buyer about $25,700 in mortgage insurance, according to lender analysis.

The number of places available has been hiked by 10,000 and the purchase price threshold has also been increased.

The Sydney threshold has been lifted from $700,000 t0 $950,000, Melbourne $600,000 to $850,000 and Brisbane now up to $650,000 from $450,000.

Economist Andrew Wilson of property data platform Archistar said the measure would "allow substantially more young people to realise the great Australian dream of home ownership".

But builders and real estate agents have slammed the decision to limit the policy to new builds, pointing out that fewer than 20 per cent of first time buyers purchase new properties.

3. Wage subsidies for young workers
Perhaps the most important priority for young people amid the downturn is to stay in a job and the budget contained a $4 billion wage subsidy aimed at helping that occur.

The JobMaker package included a hiring subsidy of $200 a week for workers aged 16 to 29, or up to about $10,000 a year. But it will fall to $100 a week for those aged 30-35.

The subsidy is available to business for up to the first 12 months of a worker's employment and is forecast to cost $850 million over the next eight months and a total of $4 billion for the three years to 2022-23.

For employers to claim the subsidy, new hires must work for at least 20 hours a week and the business must show an increase in its overall headcount.

Treasury estimates that about 450,000 will be supported by the hiring credit over the next three years.

Some have raised concerns that prioritising the hiring of people aged up to 35 could come at the expense of older workers, who traditionally find it much harder to return to the labour market after a recession. They also worry it could lead to more casual jobs.

4. Big superannuation changes
The superannuation industry was expecting the government to extend its controversial early release scheme allowing members suffering hardship to withdraw up to $20,000 (and were already preparing to push back).

Instead, it unveiled a trio of shock measures that could shake up an industry still reeling both from the early release scheme — under which $33 billion has been pulled out of retirement savings — and the still-lingering findings of the banking royal commission.

The first is a proposal to "staple" super accounts to the individual member. That means when someone changes jobs their super fund follows them across automatically, rather than the status quo where the new employee needs to opt-in to their existing or chosen fund or else end up in a fund of the employers' choice (often sneakily linked to a friendly bank or trade union).

Super comparison tool will be a fraught affair
The PBO estimates that the impact of COVID-19 is likely to result in government net debt being between 14 and 24 per cent of GDP higher by 2029-30 than it would have been otherwise.

Dud super funds face fresh crackdown
The point of the measure is to crack down on the rampant problem of people having multiple accounts by accident, which is a major contributor to the shocking $30 billion we pay in fees each year.

But critics say it would dent the workplace default system which some believe has been in the best interests of members. Plus, it could increase the chances of being stapled to a poor-performing fund.

The government will also introduce a new test for super funds on investment performance and a new online comparison tool called YourSuper to be run by the Tax Office.

That may not sound like a big deal given the prevalence of product comparison tools on the internet these days.

But there has never been an easy way for consumers to rank or compare super funds and that is partly because the methodology they use — for example, the priority placed on fees and how risky different investments are perceived to be — is very controversial.

Super being super, you can expect a big political fight over this one. But to the extent it allows consumers to get reliable information before choosing a fund, it could be a very positive development.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:28 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:For more than five million Australians, including many Millennials, it would mean a cash injection of more than $2,000.

More lies by the stenographs at the AFR.

Those earning under 90K already received a $1080 LMITO in the previous financial year, so at best they will receive a second one-off $1080 LMITO for the 20-21 FY, then after that they go back to paying more tax.

Whereas those earning above $100K receive permanent and ongoing tax cuts (in excess of $2K if you earn over $120K).
Q.
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:51 am

Alright so I haven't followed it too closely but am Ive already done my FY20 tax, will I be getting any money in my bank account or will I have to wait until I complete my tax in FY21.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Q. » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:51 am

whufc wrote:Alright so I haven't followed it too closely but am Ive already done my FY20 tax, will I be getting any money in my bank account or will I have to wait until I complete my tax in FY21.

No lump sum. Your weekly wage will be adjusted to the new tax rate and the back-dated adjustment will likely be paid pro-rata rather than claimed in the FY21 tax return.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:38 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:So who will get us out of the recession. I mean the country has been in one for a few years now...not just a few months as the government would have us all believe

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Well balanced article here on the view that leading economists took for the road to recovery and how the government approach differs:

https://insidestory.org.au/the-government-versus-the-economists/

It was the budget business groups wanted, but not the one economists wanted. I don’t know what Treasury was proposing, but it says something about Morrison and his government that very little proposed by economists outside the official family made its way into the budget.

A good sample of the outsiders’ views was a survey of forty-nine leading economists published last week in the Conversation. The Economic Society drew up a list of thirteen policy options and asked each economist to choose the four that would be most effective in bang for buck to support the recovery. The top six items they selected were:

• Investing in social housing (60 per cent)
• Permanently lifting JobSeeker (51 per cent)
• Increasing funding for education and training (45 per cent)
• Investing in infrastructure (41 per cent)
• Wage subsidies or hiring bonuses (35 per cent)
• Funding high-quality aged care (31 per cent).
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Winners and losers from budget 2020
Finbar O'Mallon
Australian Financial Review
Reporter
Oct 6, 2020 – 7.32pm

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has declared Australia will not fall on its knees despite facing the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. In his 2020 budget business comes out a major winner along with people who need upskilling and of course workers who will receive tax cuts.

WINNERS

Taxpayers – Stage two personal income tax cuts will be backdated to July 1, 2020, putting $12 billion into the pockets of Australians.

The 19 per cent tax bracket will rise from $37,000 to $45,000. The 32.5 per cent bracket will rise from $90,000 to $120,000. The 45 per cent bracket will rise from $180,000 to $200,000.

Investment – Nearly all Australian businesses will be able to write off the full value of eligible assets until June 2022.

Incorporated small businesses – Loss carry back provisions will allow small businesses to offset current losses on to previous tax refunds.

Research and development – The government has completely backflipped on previously proposed cuts to research and development tax incentives.

Small businesses start-ups – Small businesses with a turnover of $10 million to $50 million will be able to claim up to 10 tax breaks, with fringe benefits tax scrapped on car parking, phones or laptops, simpler trading stock rules and easier PAYG instalments. It will cost the government $105 million.

Businesses needing to retrain workers – Businesses will be exempt from fringe benefits tax if they reskill or retrain workers facing redundancy.

Unemployed young people – Employers who give a job to an unemployed young person will receive a wage subsidy, with the measure costing around $1.2 billion.

Apprentices – Employers will get $1.2 billion in subsidies for 100,000 new apprentice wages each year.

First home buyers scheme – Up to 10,000 more first home buyers will be able to get a loan to build a new home or buy a newly built home with a deposit of at least 5 per cent. The purchase cap will also be lifted from $750,000 to $950,000.

Granny flat owners – The capital gains tax will be scrapped for granny flats.

Manufacturers – The government will dole out up to $1.5 billion in grants to encourage advanced manufacturing in resources and critical minerals; food and beverages; medical products; recycling and clean energy; defence and space.

State infrastructure – $10 billion in ‘use-it-or-lose-it’ payments will be doled out to the states to get infrastructure projects going, with more money for states with the quickest trigger finger.

Aged care – Up to 23,000 extra home-care packages will be funded at cost of $1.6 billion for elderly Australians to receive care at their homes.

Gas – $53 million to go to building more gas infrastructure

Northern Territory – The North Australia Infrastructure Facility will see more flexible rules for investment

Mental health – The number of rebated psychology sessions will double, with Australians now able to access up to 20 sessions through Medicare.

Affordable housing developers – An extra $1 billion in low cost financing to help build more affordable housing.

Film and TV studios – Industry will receive $53 million in funding and rejigged local content rules

Eco-tourism industry – The government will spend $61.7 million to promote more environmental tourism.

Telehealth users – Services will be expanded for another six months, with the government spending $2 billion to keep expanded telehealth services running.

Australian Federal Police – A $300 million funding boost for operations, mental health support and the establishment of a reserve police force.

Pensioners – Aged pensioners will receive two $250 payments, one in December and one in March.

Migrant families – The government will allow 30,000 family members of migrants to come to Australian through Family Stream places.

LOSERS
Future generations – Gross debt levels are expected to reach $1 trillion with the budget deficit to pass $200 billion.

JobSeekers –The now $250 coronavirus supplement tacked on to the unemployment payment will end on December 31.

Dud super funds – Super funds will be publicly ranked by performance on a new government-run website under new benchmarks.

Labor – A swathe of personal and business tax cuts will probably give the Coalition ammunition against the Opposition at the next election.

The big banks, miners – Banks will miss out on wage subsidies and banks and miners will miss out on the investment write offs and loss carry-backs.

International travellers – no hints on when international travel can resume.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:05 pm

Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:For more than five million Australians, including many Millennials, it would mean a cash injection of more than $2,000.

More lies by the stenographs at the AFR.

Those earning under 90K already received a $1080 LMITO in the previous financial year, so at best they will receive a second one-off $1080 LMITO for the 20-21 FY, then after that they go back to paying more tax.

Whereas those earning above $100K receive permanent and ongoing tax cuts (in excess of $2K if you earn over $120K).

Michael Pascoe: Josh Frydenberg’s whirling dervish budget – spin and faith

This is the 41st federal budget I’ve had some journalistic interest in, the 38th that I’ve had detailed responsibility for covering.

None has come anywhere near the spin and marketing BS of Josh Frydenberg’s second.

To attempt to pass off this year’s tax cuts as roughly double their actual size is close to fraudulent.

Q.
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics