Preliminary Final Eagles v South

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:14 am

If it's a fine day on Sunday and the Eagles play like they did in the 2nd half yesterday I can't see North getting close!
North will/should apply more pressure than South managed though.
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 48530
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1592 times
Been liked: 3411 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby Magellan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:18 am

ferret wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:What a change it makes when you play the match with INTENSITY Eagles!

The intensity shown today should be the bare minimum that we should be playing with from the opening bounce.

Two separate gutsy efforts from Jones and Jack Hayes attempting to spoil the ball within South's Forward 50m arc that could have knocked them out set the tone. Last week our players would have sat back and allowed the South player to mark uninterrupted.

Lonergan's inclusion was highly risky but his presence was massive (literally) and helped us to win the clearances. Foote had a great game and Tsitas continued to rack up the footy. Wehr and Mansell were fantastic in our defence.

Jungfer's inclusion in preference to Seymour was an interesting call and the latter could consider him unlucky. Seymour has played well through the season but is pretty well one-paced and Sheedy clearly wanted extra speed back there. I can't see Syemour forcing his way back in with North's three quick little blokes - Young, LeBois etc - rotating there.

Despite this some disappointing signs from a few players again -

Poole once again with his idiotic off-the ball lack of discipline that almost cost us two goals. He must go. Toumpas cannot be in the centre square as he is a bit soft and plays his best footy out in the open.Von Bertouch needs a rocket up his a$s and someone to tell him to get our of first gear. He's got a huge mark, and a great kick. He has the potential to kick 4-5 goals but needs to play with some desperation. However he stays this week.


Can't believe you are an Eagles supporter. Negative, negative and more negativity. Show a bit of faith in the coach and club. You are a pita.

What, a yeast-leavened round flatbread baked from wheat flour?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Magellan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5979
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 1:04 pm
Location: Four Seasons Total Landscaping
Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby FRED » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:14 am

Eagles and North in the league and reserves, when was the last time this happened?
FRED
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:45 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:17 am

FRED wrote:Eagles and North in the league and reserves, when was the last time this happened?

WWT and North? Never
Both teams having a team in the reserves and leage GF? 2 years ago. North beat Norwood in both games
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 48530
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1592 times
Been liked: 3411 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby Aerie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 am

The only time these two clubs played off against each other was 1949 - obviously prior to the merger. Some footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf0ulBNYSZI

Summary by The Mail
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... nd%20final
User avatar
Aerie
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5294
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:05 am
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby RB » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:00 am

I'm not sure you can count 1949, but if we're including anything with a connection to the current WWTFC and NAFC, then in 1943 and 1944 North-Norwood defeated Port-Torrens.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
User avatar
RB
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4802
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm
Has liked: 581 times
Been liked: 828 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby darley16 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:17 am

My first South game in 2 seasons (stopped going due the AFL mid-season draft making a mockery of the SANFL) and thought the first 2 and a 1/2 quarters were excellent, some of the best footy i've seen for a long time. South were brave but those youunger lighter bodies ran out of steam against a muture opposition, South finished the year as the third best team in the comp which was correct.

Never seen or heard so many South supporters at a game, if all those Southies sign up and become paying members next year we would be well underway to setting up the club for long-term sustained success.
User avatar
darley16
Under 18s
 
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:07 am
Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:24 am

darley16 wrote:My first South game in 2 seasons (stopped going due the AFL mid-season draft making a mockery of the SANFL) and thought the first 2 and a 1/2 quarters were excellent, some of the best footy i've seen for a long time. South were brave but those youunger lighter bodies ran out of steam against a muture opposition, South finished the year as the third best team in the comp which was correct.

Never seen or heard so many South supporters at a game, if all those Southies sign up and become paying members next year we would be well underway to setting up the club for long-term sustained success.


Really good setup south have. have always liked the club as my mum has supported them her whole life... But since moving down there my girls and i go there nearly every thursday night for dinner... They love it. I even became a member as it just made sense with the discounts i get being one. I really hope get some success asap...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
User avatar
woodublieve12
Coach
 
 
Posts: 16572
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:48 pm
Has liked: 2902 times
Been liked: 2254 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:33 am

A few funny moments yesterday.
Watching Eagles supporters trying to find their seats for more than an hour when there was 50,000 free seats was amusing.
An Adelaide Oval usher trying to tell me off for standing in the wrong section after the game was a giggle.

But when I told a young bloke off for abusing the lovely South supporting lady behind me in the disabled area with an F word, she tapped me on the shoulder with a smile and said "Thank you but you needn't bother as it's my son" :lol: :oops:
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 48530
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1592 times
Been liked: 3411 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby Magellan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:59 pm

Any news on Redden's shoulder?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Magellan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5979
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 1:04 pm
Location: Four Seasons Total Landscaping
Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby whybother » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:17 pm

It's a closely held secret, but I am told that he has two.
whybother
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:16 am
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby MJP1993 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:14 pm

Wedgie wrote:A few funny moments yesterday.
Watching Eagles supporters trying to find their seats for more than an hour when there was 50,000 free seats was amusing.
An Adelaide Oval usher trying to tell me off for standing in the wrong section after the game was a giggle.

But when I told a young bloke off for abusing the lovely South supporting lady behind me in the disabled area with an F word, she tapped me on the shoulder with a smile and said "Thank you but you needn't bother as it's my son" :lol: :oops:


And the week before North fans refusing to sit in their seats in the nose bleed sections .
Seats are allocated mind you it was funny watching the same North fans moved on every few minutes
No idea why they refused to sit in their seats but wanted seats allocated to others
MJP1993
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:04 am
Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby MJP1993 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:15 pm

whybother wrote:It's a closely held secret, but I am told that he has two.


I’m told he told a special fan he will be playing in the GF
MJP1993
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:04 am
Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Magellan wrote:
ferret wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:What a change it makes when you play the match with INTENSITY Eagles!

The intensity shown today should be the bare minimum that we should be playing with from the opening bounce.

Two separate gutsy efforts from Jones and Jack Hayes attempting to spoil the ball within South's Forward 50m arc that could have knocked them out set the tone. Last week our players would have sat back and allowed the South player to mark uninterrupted.

Lonergan's inclusion was highly risky but his presence was massive (literally) and helped us to win the clearances. Foote had a great game and Tsitas continued to rack up the footy. Wehr and Mansell were fantastic in our defence.

Jungfer's inclusion in preference to Seymour was an interesting call and the latter could consider him unlucky. Seymour has played well through the season but is pretty well one-paced and Sheedy clearly wanted extra speed back there. I can't see Syemour forcing his way back in with North's three quick little blokes - Young, LeBois etc - rotating there.

Despite this some disappointing signs from a few players again -

Poole once again with his idiotic off-the ball lack of discipline that almost cost us two goals. He must go. Toumpas cannot be in the centre square as he is a bit soft and plays his best footy out in the open.Von Bertouch needs a rocket up his a$s and someone to tell him to get our of first gear. He's got a huge mark, and a great kick. He has the potential to kick 4-5 goals but needs to play with some desperation. However he stays this week.


Can't believe you are an Eagles supporter. Negative, negative and more negativity. Show a bit of faith in the coach and club. You are a pita.

What, a yeast-leavened round flatbread baked from wheat flour?


No idea what he was on about. Clearly drunk celebrating our win so has got all emotional :) Look as I clearly wrote, we played with great intensity complete with some gutsy efforts that inspired the team. This must be the benchmark. The coach pulled some moves from left field (as I had wrote multiple times in the week leading up to the game) and they thankfully worked so much so that the player involved (Jungfer) ought to be retained. But for all that we still had passengers - players who played ordinary last week and who, if are not given a rocket by the Coach, will let us down in the GF. Ferret can pretend they don't exist in order to feel nice but they are not going to go away.

I've watched us throw away too many GFs where we go into the match with passive atitutudes and it costs us. If it was between telling some hard truths to some of the players to fire up them up vs avoiding the hard conversation for fear of getting them upset I know which pathway I'd go.

New coach - a new approach. Sheedy has an amazing opportunity to do what Fuller and Godden struggled to do.
Mr Fuller
Reserves
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:16 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Half time Eagles up by a point. I pop out the back to do some mowing. Come back 6 mins into the third and find the Eagles 20 points up, WTF?
Rowe kicked 3 in the opening 5 minutes of the half


Kicked the last goal of the 2nd 1/4 also
User avatar
Dutchy
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 42539
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Location, Location
Has liked: 1875 times
Been liked: 2853 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby PanthersFan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 pm

Well done Eagles, after half time took complete control of the match and seemingly had extra numbers at every contest. Rowe was outstanding. Disappointing way to end our season but I’m confident we can learn and reload for next year. Go Panthers!
PanthersFan
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:48 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby whybother » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:47 am

Please don't mention "extra numbers" in a PF...it still hurts
whybother
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:16 am
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby Trent Plucktrum » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:26 pm

whybother wrote:Please don't mention "extra numbers" in a PF...it still hurts


I'm sure they know the feeling now as your Mob decided it was a good idea in the U18s
My Team


The Cocks
User avatar
Trent Plucktrum
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:05 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby MJP1993 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:13 pm

Trent Plucktrum wrote:
whybother wrote:Please don't mention "extra numbers" in a PF...it still hurts


I'm sure they know the feeling now as your Mob decided it was a good idea in the U18s


So 40 seconds in an under 18 game
And what north did in 2018
I’m seeing posts on SANFL Facebook pages between those two times the last one North fans love to highlight
Another three sanfl teams have had 19 men on the field but your worried about under 18s lmao
MJP1993
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:04 am
Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Preliminary Final Eagles v South

Postby Mic » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:40 am

What’s the deal with the Eagles players’ haircuts?
User avatar
Mic
League - Top 5
 
 
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:17 pm
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 114 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests