Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby The Bedge » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:23 am

It’s not the stupid rules that worries me this year.. it’s the nuffy umpires or wanker opposition players that will no doubt make life difficult
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:35 pm

The Bedge wrote:It’s not the stupid rules that worries me this year.. it’s the nuffy umpires or wanker opposition players that will no doubt make life difficult

30 over days
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:05 am

Pseudo wrote:Vodaphuckingfone.

Went to upgrade my mobile phone on Wednesday. Got a recent model phone, a new plan and a new SIM card.

Saturday arvo, after 2 hours spent talking to tech support, 3 more visits to the storefront, and 2 more SIM cards, the bloody network still refuses to recognise it. Turn on the device and it happily reports "no SIM card, emergency calls only". Yet it works just dandy when someone else sticks their SIM card in it. Nobody at Vodafone is able to explain why it don't work for me. Currently waiting for a call back from tech support (on a temporary prepaid phone, natch). I half suspect it isn't going to come ... but if it does, and the support person tells me to try another SIM card, I am going to reach down the phone line and throttle the bastard.

Should it not be fixed by next week I'm going to waltz back in to Vodafone, tell them where they can stick their plan, then stroll down the mall to the Optus store.

Update. 12 days on, the service is still not working. In the interim:

The tech support guy did not call back.

Next day I called customer support to get out of my plan and return the phone. The service droid was adamant that I would be paying out the phone since I wasn't a new customer. This precipitated a pointed tirade from myself about Vodafone's treatment of customers of 20 years standing. He palmed me off on a tech support person as quick as he could, the coward.

Magically, all of a sudden, the phone said "Vodafone AU" up the top - but it couldn't make calls, send texts, or use the 4G network. Had another discussion with a tech support person who had me twiddle one setting, then another ... and then told me to go back to the store and try a new SIM card. I reminded him that I'd already tried 3. Trying it again and expecting a different result was madness. He was adamant that it had to be the SIM card. "We've exhausted all the other options". I asked him to check my account, check the network, see if there was anything against my name which would prohibit me from 4G services. "I've already done that sir".

What the hell, back to the store, new SIM card, as sure as eggs is eggs it didn't work. This time the bloke in the store had a poke around on my account and found that under the network settings, everything was blocked: Calls, SMS, 4G, all services blocked. So the tech person I had just spoken to, who assured me that my account was fine and that the SIM card was the problem, was either a baldfaced liar or a thorough incompetent. Sadly the store guy couldn't unblock the account. He raised a ticket in their system and said it would take 24-48 hours to be attended to.

48 hours later I'm on the phone to tech support, enquiring after the ticket. "Our tech team is still working on it. I will escalate it". He promised to call me back in 24 hours. He didn't.

This morning, 4 days after the last ticket was raised, still no service. Got on to their support via web chat this time (far better: don't have to deal with subcontinental accents and shaky connections). Enquired after the ticket. "Our technicians are still investigating this."

So I told her that tomorrow morning I'm going to turn my phone on, and if it doesn't work then I'm gone. She tried to palm me off on tech support "who will definitely help you get the service working". Twice. Each time I said no, I've already wasted hours with your tech support people and I have no more time to spend. "You are an important customer to us and we do not want you to leave". Well that's up to your technicians now. They have 24 hours.

I fully expect to be mooching about the mall tomorrow morning, waiting for the Optus and Telstra stores to open.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:14 am

Snoop Dogs Menulog song. Liked it originally but it's been stuck in my head today since about 4.45am. :evil:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby DOC » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Pseudo wrote:

Went to upgrade my mobile phone on Wednesday. Got a recent model phone, a new plan and a new SIM card.

Saturday arvo, after 2 hours spent talking to tech support, 3 more visits to the storefront, and 2 more SIM cards, the bloody network still refuses to recognise it. Turn on the device and it happily reports "no SIM card, emergency calls only". Yet it works just dandy when someone else sticks their SIM card in it. Nobody at Vodafone is able to explain why it don't work for me. Currently waiting for a call back from tech support (on a temporary prepaid phone, natch). I half suspect it isn't going to come ... but if it does, and the support person tells me to try another SIM card, I am going to reach down the phone line and throttle the bastard.

Should it not be fixed by next week I'm going to waltz back in to Vodafone, tell them where they can stick their plan, then stroll down the mall to the Optus store.

Update. 12 days on, the service is still not working. In the interim:

The tech support guy did not call back.

Next day I called customer support to get out of my plan and return the phone. The service droid was adamant that I would be paying out the phone since I wasn't a new customer. This precipitated a pointed tirade from myself about Vodafone's treatment of customers of 20 years standing. He palmed me off on a tech support person as quick as he could, the coward.

Magically, all of a sudden, the phone said "Vodafone AU" up the top - but it couldn't make calls, send texts, or use the 4G network. Had another discussion with a tech support person who had me twiddle one setting, then another ... and then told me to go back to the store and try a new SIM card. I reminded him that I'd already tried 3. Trying it again and expecting a different result was madness. He was adamant that it had to be the SIM card. "We've exhausted all the other options". I asked him to check my account, check the network, see if there was anything against my name which would prohibit me from 4G services. "I've already done that sir".

What the hell, back to the store, new SIM card, as sure as eggs is eggs it didn't work. This time the bloke in the store had a poke around on my account and found that under the network settings, everything was blocked: Calls, SMS, 4G, all services blocked. So the tech person I had just spoken to, who assured me that my account was fine and that the SIM card was the problem, was either a baldfaced liar or a thorough incompetent. Sadly the store guy couldn't unblock the account. He raised a ticket in their system and said it would take 24-48 hours to be attended to.

48 hours later I'm on the phone to tech support, enquiring after the ticket. "Our tech team is still working on it. I will escalate it". He promised to call me back in 24 hours. He didn't.

This morning, 4 days after the last ticket was raised, still no service. Got on to their support via web chat this time (far better: don't have to deal with subcontinental accents and shaky connections). Enquired after the ticket. "Our technicians are still investigating this."

So I told her that tomorrow morning I'm going to turn my phone on, and if it doesn't work then I'm gone. She tried to palm me off on tech support "who will definitely help you get the service working". Twice. Each time I said no, I've already wasted hours with your tech support people and I have no more time to spend. "You are an important customer to us and we do not want you to leave". Well that's up to your technicians now. They have 24 hours.

I fully expect to be mooching about the mall tomorrow morning, waiting for the Optus and Telstra stores to open.

Even if fixed vote with your feet and leave.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby RustyCage » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:27 pm

The Redbacks...
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby DOC » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:33 am

All this football talk when it is clearly cricket season.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:25 am

DOC wrote:
(whinge whinge whinge)

Even if fixed vote with your feet and leave.

It wasn't fixed, so in to the Optus store I marched. Vodafone still had a couple of spanners to throw into my works:

If I was happy to get a new phone number then I could have walked in and out of the store in 5 minutes. However I wanted to port my number from Vodafone 'coz half my life is attached to it and it would be too much of a pain in the arse to change. To port a number from another network they first send you an SMS with a code so you can prove that you own the number. But of course my service was kaput, and I couldn't receive the SMS. Took 90 minutes to get around this little roadblock. Nevertheless I walked out of there with a working mobile phone, full bars and a 4G service, and the same phone number.

By this morning I realised that I could make calls to other phones and send messages, but certain other people could not message or call me. It seems that the people who cannot contact me are all Vodafone clients. At a guess, Vodafone still has my number somewhere in their routing database, so anyone from within trying to get to me gets channeled into a black hole.

I still haven't broken free from Vodafone's grip. :evil:
Pseudo
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:17 pm

DOC wrote:Stan. I reckon most of us have suffered from the SADIM (midas backwards) touch at one point or another, But as my father once told me even shit is useful.

I echo Pseudos comments above. Many tasks are thankless at the time but eventually the weight of good works are rewarded.

Having the courage to post is just another good thing you have done. As for family issues, perhaps aim to have a great day with your kids tomorrow.
Those lil buggers can cheer you up in no time.
Thanks for the post mate, took your advice a few weeks back, still feels like a few rough patches but sometimes the clean crisp air does wonders.

It's so reassuring to know that alot of other people have gone through similar things ad well.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Pseudo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:48 am

When you set up a simulation to run overnight, get to work just before it finishes, plot the results and think they don't look quite right.

Then you inspect your code and find a little glitch which meant you were storing the wrong bloody values, so you have to run the whole flippin' thing again. All for the want of a few errant keystrokes...

(My phone ain't working yet either ... :evil: )
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Pseudo wrote:When you set up a simulation to run overnight, get to work just before it finishes, plot the results and think they don't look quite right.

Then you inspect your code and find a little glitch which meant you were storing the wrong bloody values, so you have to run the whole flippin' thing again. All for the want of a few errant keystrokes...

(My phone ain't working yet either ... :evil: )

Yeah, I hate that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jase » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:51 pm

The stress that my eldest is putting himself under for his Year 12...

He can pretty much not do the exams he has and still get the results he needs to get into Nursing, but he is stressing out so much he is almost making himself sick each night...

Breathe boy, Breathe...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby mickey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:58 pm

Jase wrote:The stress that my eldest is putting himself under for his Year 12...

He can pretty much not do the exams he has and still get the results he needs to get into Nursing, but he is stressing out so much he is almost making himself sick each night...

Breathe boy, Breathe...
This is what i have to look forward to next year with the eldest. IMO far too much pressure is put on kids to follow a university path when leaving school.
Although study is important, the pressure high schools put on kids, forcing them to think they have up give up social outings, sports etc to study is crap.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:05 pm

Jase wrote:The stress that my eldest is putting himself under for his Year 12...

Breathe boy, Breathe...

Oh shit, has he finished all of his work, can he just fine tune it now?

My daughter was in the same boat a few weeks ago but now has everything handed in for the teachers to peruse and make recommendations for improvement, she certainly didn't get that from me.

She wants to go to uni but wants a gap year first, after a broken collarbone she missed out on being at peak fitness for the NAFC Women's team trials and wants to make sure she's fully fit for next season, hopefully what she had done before her injury holds her in good steed.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:07 pm

mickey wrote:

Breathe boy, Breathe...
This is what i have to look forward to next year with the eldest. IMO far too much pressure is put on kids to follow a university path when leaving school.
Although study is important, the pressure high schools put on kids, forcing them to think they have up give up social outings, sports etc to study is crap.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Unless they know someone jobs are hard to slip straight in to, especially for girls IMO.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jase » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:31 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Breathe boy, Breathe...

Oh shit, has he finished all of his work, can he just fine tune it now?

My daughter was in the same boat a few weeks ago but now has everything handed in for the teachers to peruse and make recommendations for improvement, she certainly didn't get that from me.

She wants to go to uni but wants a gap year first, after a broken collarbone she missed out on being at peak fitness for the NAFC Women's team trials and wants to make sure she's fully fit for next season, hopefully what she had done before her injury holds her in good steed.

Yep he has handed in all of his work for the School Assessed stuff, but still has 2 exams...

They boy could Stress for Australia so these next 2 weeks will be hard for him (and us) but we'll get him through and then he can just stress about actually getting his results, and then stress about getting an offer for Uni, and then stress about his first day, and his first placement and his first exams... etc etc etc etc etc etc...

:D :lol:
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Jase wrote:
Yep he has handed in all of his work for the School Assessed stuff, but still has 2 exams...

They boy could Stress for Australia so these next 2 weeks will be hard for him (and us) but we'll get him through and then he can just stress about actually getting his results, and then stress about getting an offer for Uni, and then stress about his first day, and his first placement and his first exams... etc etc etc etc etc etc...

:D :lol:

At least he cares.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:04 pm

Daughter has begun decorating my deck with Geelong posters and scarves. Vomit :YMSICK:
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:53 pm

Corona Man wrote:Daughter has begun decorating my deck with Geelong posters and scarves. Vomit :YMSICK:
Good girl!!

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby whufc » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:32 am

Breathe boy, Breathe...

Meditation.

I'm someone who has lived this kind of life before, even stressing significantly for stupid things like amateur cricket.

Its not a great way to live when you move on from stress to stress to stress, even if they are warranted stresses......….lifes to short.

Best advice I could give is a find way and make time for him to enjoy a stress free environment......what is he passionate about....eg if its cars find a way that he gets some time each week to be under the bonnet of a car. If its fitness ensure he makes time for this etc etc.

What has really worked for me has been a real strategy around getting my 'stressful' jobs out the way early both at work and at home. My partner knows if I am stressing about some work I have around the house to let me get it done first thing in the morning and then I will mentally be able to enjoy the rest of the day.

A tactic we have used at work is I don't switch on my emails for the first 2 hours of my shift. Once I open my emails I become someone else priority and get stuck in a game of email tennis completing tasks for other people. Each morning I spend the first two hours getting MY jobs done and then switch on the emails. I also do 10 minutes of meditation when I get home from work each. This is my crossover period between work and family and where I can release any work related stress or anger. Maybe that could work for him after completing a study session.

Maybe this could work for him, encourage and provide the time for him to get his study knocked off early in the morning. Most importantly though find something that he finds completely stress free and really encourage it in a healthy light whether that is fitness, hobbies, sport, gaming, meditation etc.

I apologise if these things are already happening.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion